The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What sort of armor and/or defensive options should a healer use in PvP?

BackLotBasher
BackLotBasher
✭✭
I've never done a lot of PvP other than running around with a zerg from time to time. But I've been putting in some time to raise my CP lately (345 currently), and was thinking maybe I'd dedicate more time to PvP as a healer.

Generally I've been using a mix of Sanctuary and Mother's Sorrow for random dungeons (all light - high elf Templar). I've come across all sorts of old discussions about what works in PvP, and found people talking about the fact that a lot of players in PvP use crit resistance, so having gear with extra crits doesn't seem feasible because of the trade off. But it occurred to me, if I'm playing as a healer, wouldn't I still want to hit those crits for healing boosts?

Anyway, I'm just curious if there's anything I should keep in mind when choosing armor for this role in PvP, whether what I have will be fine or not. I don't pretend to be a top tier player or anything, just looking to chip in and stay alive if possible. I'm aware of the 5-1-1 setup to use the Undaunted Mettle, though I don't have that passive unlocked yet.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something like this:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-heal-build-pvp/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-fengrush-templar-healer-build-pvp/

Basically, there are 2 schools:
    - 5 heavy with whatever set
    - 5 light with defensive buff set
    The choice mainly depends on your playstyle.
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    Something like this:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-heal-build-pvp/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-fengrush-templar-healer-build-pvp/

Basically, there are 2 schools:
    - 5 heavy with whatever set
    - 5 light with defensive buff set
    The choice mainly depends on your playstyle.

Nice. Thanks for the links...I'll dig in and have a look. Seems like what I had in mind.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some general advice, pure support roles do very well in PVP within an organized group. If you want to zerg-surf or go with PUG raids like how I started out, its a good idea to be somewhat self-sufficient simply because you can't always depend on your teammates to protect you or kill the enemy.

Personally, I started out PUGing in a very tanky build (armor was impen Plague Doctor) just because I needed that extra health cushion to keep myself alive. As I got more experienced in PVP, I've been able to move to light armor and still have the same survivability just because now I have better battlefield awareness.
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭
    As some general advice, pure support roles do very well in PVP within an organized group. If you want to zerg-surf or go with PUG raids like how I started out, its a good idea to be somewhat self-sufficient simply because you can't always depend on your teammates to protect you or kill the enemy.

Personally, I started out PUGing in a very tanky build (armor was impen Plague Doctor) just because I needed that extra health cushion to keep myself alive. As I got more experienced in PVP, I've been able to move to light armor and still have the same survivability just because now I have better battlefield awareness.

Thanks. I actually think I have a set of Plague Doctor (prob not all impen tho). I was looking through some of the info others linked, and I bet running a tanky healer in dungeons would help me out quite a bit. Plus, I looked at my character again and it seems I have unlocked a lot of the heavy armor passives and 1h & shield as well. Must have been toying with tank builds in the early going.

Going to try these new approaches and see how it works.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A word of advice, don't use Sanctuary in PvP, unless you're going to be running in a ball group. The radius of effect is (oddly) extremely small, so it won't even affect most players you're trying to heal. It's unfortunate, because it's such a nice set for healing in high dmg situations, but it won't help you much. Transmutation is a fantastic set though, and it's a staple for PvP healers.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would strongly recommend playing with a generalist offensive setup for a while before trying out healing. Playing healer can lock in bad habits that might make tough to transition to other playstyles, better to play a well rounded setup for a while and then move on to healing.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of ways to spec as a healer. The setup you use depends on your class really and who you’re playing with.

With your low CPs I’d definitely go the tanky route. I’m at max CPs and am probably tankier then you in full light then you are in full heavy just because of CPs.

Hold onto your mother’s sorrow, I agree about sanctuary in that it’s not the best set.

What’s your class? The class you play has a big bearing on the best way to play and which sets to use. Eventually you’ll probably have multiple setups depending on the setting but I’d work on getting one good setup at first.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 27, 2020 11:47PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Iki
    Iki
    ✭✭✭
    Buffer of the swift + transmutation/gossamer + bloodspawn/earthgore. Precise staff and thief mundus for more crit heals.
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    There are a ton of ways to spec as a healer. The setup you use depends on your class really and who you’re playing with.

With your low CPs I’d definitely go the tanky route. I’m at max CPs and am probably tankier then you in full light then you are in full heavy just because of CPs.

Hold onto your mother’s sorrow, I agree about sanctuary in that it’s not the best set.

What’s your class? The class you play has a big bearing on the best way to play and which sets to use. Eventually you’ll probably have multiple setups depending on the setting but I’d work on getting one good setup at first.

I play as a Templar.

Curious about what you said about Sanctuary not being the best set to use. A lot of people seem to recommend it, but I'm always open to hearing a different point of view. Is it just that others sets eclipse it in terms of usefulness?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play as a Templar.

Curious about what you said about Sanctuary not being the best set to use. A lot of people seem to recommend it, but I'm always open to hearing a different point of view. Is it just that others sets eclipse it in terms of usefulness?

Sanctuary is excellent if your group members are within 10 meters of you. (Healing springs has a radius of 8 meters, for comparison.)

In my experience, PUG raids don't stack that close. They tend to be spread out and all over the battlefield even when fighting together and scatter especially during times when the fighting is hot and heavy and they most need healing. That's not a condemnation of PUGs, just an observation from healing them.
    On the other hand, Sanctuary is an excellent set in a disciplined, organized guild raid with players who actually do stay stacked together within its range

So if you want to PUG regularly, Sanctuary probably isn't the most effective set, not because the set itself is bad but because your group members won't usually stay close enough to get the benefit.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I play as a Templar.

Sanctuary is okay, it’s just not the best set. If you’re pug healing the range is a large limitation and even for your self defense you’ll get more bang from other sets.

I’d rate the support sets as:
    Transmutation > Gossamer > Meritorious Service > Spell Power Cure > Sanctuary > The mag group cost reduction one

Each set requires a somewhat different playstyle too. It’s not as easy as just switching sets in a build, to get their full effect you also need to build your spec around the sets as well.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭

In my experience, PUG raids don't stack that close. They tend to be spread out and all over the battlefield even when fighting together and scatter especially during times when the fighting is hot and heavy and they most need healing. That's not a condemnation of PUGs, just an observation from healing them.
    On the other hand, Sanctuary is an excellent set in a disciplined, organized guild raid with players who actually do stay stacked together within its range

So if you want to PUG regularly, Sanctuary probably isn't the most effective set, not because the set itself is bad but because your group members won't usually stay close enough to get the benefit.

I hear what you're saying. Just yesterday I ran into this, and it was tough to keep people together (the tank didn't seem to be drawing groups together.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I hear what you're saying. Just yesterday I ran into this, and it was tough to keep people together (the tank didn't seem to be drawing groups together.

PvP tanking is a lost art. They can’t taunt players, they mostly have to balance being unkillable with having negative effects and debuffs on opponents so they can’t be ignored.

Stamcros would probably make good ones after the patch. Be almost unkillable, then if ignored keep major defile up on everyone with blast bones and other debuffs. Being unkillable isn’t enough, it’s about being unkillable and punishing people for ignoring them. Then if people do try to kill them their opponents need to group up around them (assuming melee) and set themselves up for a synergy bomb.

I used to play one in Warhammer, the class was called a Knight of the Blazing Sun. They would put aoe debuffs around them and you’d guard a bright wizard (aoe damage class). The squishy would benefit from your debuffs and blow up everyone around them en mass. There was even a class that would pull or ‘vacuum’ people into the aoe. Fun times.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 28, 2020 3:34PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair