Console has better voice communication?

UGotBenched91
So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

* I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.
Edited by UGotBenched91 on January 24, 2020 12:19PM
  • UGotBenched91
    I myself but don’t mind zone chat but I’m referring to party chat. It was nice to be placed in a chat with party upon joining. You could mute if you didn’t want to join.

    So, what’s the best option to party chat with randoms in pvp or dungeon groups?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I myself but don’t mind zone chat but I’m referring to party chat. It was nice to be placed in a chat with party upon joining. You could mute if you didn’t want to join.

    So, what’s the best option to party chat with randoms in pvp or dungeon groups?

    Discord. Although you’ll find most dungeon groups don’t want to use voicecomm.
    Armitas wrote: »
    This game is so broken I don't even know how people distinguish CE from negligent development.
  • UGotBenched91
    Wow...really. I mean I’ll adapt but to me that’s a big advantage console has over PC now. But, thank you for the information.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With Discord dominating the PC gaming voice comms area, there’s no incentive for ZOS to develop their own system. But then they haven’t done that on console, they’ve just patched into the manufacturers’ own channels (something that doesn’t exist with the PC).

    It does present an issue for players wanting to voice chat with new group members, but most discord servers can provide a time limited access for new players. The very fact that many players aren’t familiar with how to do this further indicates the rarity of this use case, making it even less reasonable for ZOS to develop their own bespoke system.

    Short answer is it’s not cost effective for ZOS to develop their own system and even if it were, it probably wouldn’t fall within their technical in-house capabilities (all of which are game related).

  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be because pc has several means of voice communication and the means to use it. It might not be worth the effort to build it into the pc version of the game because players have access to tools externally. The reason for consoles is likely it was built in already I don't know I don't play console version. I don't even use voice chat myself I don't speak in voice chat. It might even cause more strain on the pc version of the game. Reason why they did it for consoles maybe was because that is their main form of communication over there. But now have access to text chat as well. So I don't really think it makes much of a difference it is likely most players wouldn't even use built in Voice chat other then in Cyrodiil where such communication is useful for organized groups or some dungeons like vet ones. Main form of communcation on Pc is Text Chat. because that is how Pc rolls. We got the keyboard and mouse. ;) Consoles usually use controllers. Unless you install a keyboard to it which some might do for communication in text chat or to gain the upper hand. I don't know on that. I play Eso on my laptop.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 24, 2020 12:51PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has stated some time ago that they have no plans to develop in-game voice comms for PC due to wide variety of third party solutions available.

    I don't think you'll get much traction trying to get randoms of all kinds on voice. That's more for an organised group on PC.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    You’re correct, there’s no native voice chat on PC. That’s due to a number of factors on Zeni’s sids. Many of us are exceedingly grateful, because if I had zone chat coming through my headset I would log off and never look back.

    Or, ya know, like every game now adays usually, have an in game party chat system.
    I'm that mudcrab those bandits always talk about.

    Mag DK
    Mag Sorc
    Magblade
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    ZOS has stated some time ago that they have no plans to develop in-game voice comms for PC due to wide variety of third party solutions available.

    I don't think you'll get much traction trying to get randoms of all kinds on voice. That's more for an organised group on PC.

    That seems to be zos and bethesdas approach to everything. Glitches, bugs, lacking in game ui, lacking services, rely on others to fix it.
    I'm that mudcrab those bandits always talk about.

    Mag DK
    Mag Sorc
    Magblade
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it really is odd. Basically every other MMO on PC has the ability to chat in-game, but ESO does not.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On console I need to reload ui each time I change from instance... Example: after grouping vc is working, once the group is ported to a dungeon reload ui is required or vc doesn't work...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"

    Speaker of Sons of the Night Mother guild [PS4][EU]

    1300+ CP
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

    But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

    Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

    * I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.

    Xbox is not a platform that allows you to execute multiple applications at once.
    PC is designed around executing multiple applications at once.

    Xbox is a closed platform that does not allow independent development.
    PC is a mostly open platform where multiple programs accomplishing the same task exist.

    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.
    PC has plenty of choices that can be run effortlessly or not run depending on user preference.

    The closed system for Xbox requires compromises. You get a good voice chat because you cant choose not to have a good voice chat.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give ZoS a pass on voice comms, there is simply no insensitive to implement your own VoIP service on PC, there are more than enough alternatives.

    Discord being the current preferred alternative by many.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

    *** it! Dragons are back! - Post U23

    Recently elevated to Dictator for life - Greybeards and Gals (PC-EU)
  • UGotBenched91
    So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

    But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

    Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

    * I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.

    Xbox is not a platform that allows you to execute multiple applications at once.
    PC is designed around executing multiple applications at once.

    Xbox is a closed platform that does not allow independent development.
    PC is a mostly open platform where multiple programs accomplishing the same task exist.

    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.
    PC has plenty of choices that can be run effortlessly or not run depending on user preference.

    The closed system for Xbox requires compromises. You get a good voice chat because you cant choose not to have a good voice chat.

    Wasn’t getting in a pc vs console debate. I’m saying console has an advantage for me because if I join a pug group or a random group in pvp o don’t have to start opening other applications to join a party with randoms. I’m automatically put into it. For me that’s an advantage that console has.
    Edited by UGotBenched91 on January 24, 2020 1:18PM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Console also has channels for guilds, more channels the greater the size of the guild up to 5.

    I don't know how many times I asked if people would go into group chat in a struggling dungeon group. It's so much easier to assess competency verbally. Explaining mechanics is so much better in chat.

    "You get that blithe assumption that the status quo will always remain - or that this guy is so bad he's got to go. Neither are necessarily true, nor necessarily false." - Michael Kozak
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

    But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

    Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

    * I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.

    Xbox is not a platform that allows you to execute multiple applications at once.
    PC is designed around executing multiple applications at once.

    Xbox is a closed platform that does not allow independent development.
    PC is a mostly open platform where multiple programs accomplishing the same task exist.

    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.
    PC has plenty of choices that can be run effortlessly or not run depending on user preference.

    The closed system for Xbox requires compromises. You get a good voice chat because you cant choose not to have a good voice chat.

    Wasn’t getting in a pc vs console debate. I’m saying console has an advantage for me because if I join a pug groWell up or a random group in pvp o don’t have to start opening other applications to join a party with randoms. I’m automatically put into it. For me that’s an advantage that console has.

    Well depends some might find console better while others will say pc is better. There is that thing about PC being the Master race or something. Since it can do so much more then any console if built right or something. *Shrugs* Its interesting but well there is always those with that type of mind set. That Pc is superior in every way and in a way it could be because it so customizable and can do more including mods while consoles limit that sort of thing. Don't have to pay subscription to play online games or use the internet on pc just your internet provider bill so there is a lot of advantages to Pc over Consoles. Because of all those limitations.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 24, 2020 1:31PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

    But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

    Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

    * I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.

    Xbox is not a platform that allows you to execute multiple applications at once.
    PC is designed around executing multiple applications at once.

    Xbox is a closed platform that does not allow independent development.
    PC is a mostly open platform where multiple programs accomplishing the same task exist.

    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.
    PC has plenty of choices that can be run effortlessly or not run depending on user preference.

    The closed system for Xbox requires compromises. You get a good voice chat because you cant choose not to have a good voice chat.

    Wasn’t getting in a pc vs console debate. I’m saying console has an advantage for me because if I join a pug group or a random group in pvp o don’t have to start opening other applications to join a party with randoms. I’m automatically put into it. For me that’s an advantage that console has.

    I wasn't approaching it as a PC vs Console debate. Both have pros and cons. The primary pro of a PC is that it is an open platform. The primary pro of the Xbox is that it is not.

    If you enjoy what the Xbox offers and the way it offers it it can often be a superior entertainment platform. It just depends on what YOU want. I was simply explaining why the PC does not automatically tend to include things that can be handled by third-party applications.
  • UGotBenched91
    So, I dipped my toe in pvp for the first time last night. Overall it was a fun experience.

    But, it brought to light a slight annoyance for me. There’s no in-game voice communication. So, when you join a party I can still only communicate in text chat? So, it seems that parties have to go to the trouble of creating discord’s or other means just to communicate. Yet, console instantly puts you in a in-game voice chat party.

    Why is there no in-game voice chat options for pc? It just seems an odd choice.

    * I’m new to pc ESO so please correct me if I’m missing something. Also, I’m not referring to Xbox parties when voice communicating. I’m referring to actual in-game chat channels.

    Xbox is not a platform that allows you to execute multiple applications at once.
    PC is designed around executing multiple applications at once.

    Xbox is a closed platform that does not allow independent development.
    PC is a mostly open platform where multiple programs accomplishing the same task exist.

    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.
    PC has plenty of choices that can be run effortlessly or not run depending on user preference.

    The closed system for Xbox requires compromises. You get a good voice chat because you cant choose not to have a good voice chat.

    Wasn’t getting in a pc vs console debate. I’m saying console has an advantage for me because if I join a pug group or a random group in pvp o don’t have to start opening other applications to join a party with randoms. I’m automatically put into it. For me that’s an advantage that console has.

    I wasn't approaching it as a PC vs Console debate. Both have pros and cons. The primary pro of a PC is that it is an open platform. The primary pro of the Xbox is that it is not.

    If you enjoy what the Xbox offers and the way it offers it it can often be a superior entertainment platform. It just depends on what YOU want. I was simply explaining why the PC does not automatically tend to include things that can be handled by third-party applications.

    Ah sorry about that I misunderstood your approach but thanks for the information.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Easier
    Yes, it probably is, as it's there
    More likely to get casual use do to interrogation

    Better
    It probably is not, as PC can choose many more, both options and providers, to suit usage requirements
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC has had third party voice chat for so long (Ventrillo, Teamspeak, Discord, etc), that there's little reason of PC devs to waste their budget/effort/etc making their own version.
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I myself but don’t mind zone chat but I’m referring to party chat. It was nice to be placed in a chat with party upon joining. You could mute if you didn’t want to join.

    So, what’s the best option to party chat with randoms in pvp or dungeon groups?

    Discord. Although you’ll find most dungeon groups don’t want to use voicecomm.
    This is the thing. On PC, you can often complete a random dungeon or Undaunted daily - even vet! - without anyone typing a single thing, until (maybe) a "tyfg" at the end. Most PUGs will hardly bother with typing, let alone voice chat.

    Sometimes people say "Hi", etc. at the start, and chat a bit. Certainly if we die to mechanics, or prior to a boss with key mechanics, if people seem new, I'll ask something like "Has everyone done this fight before?", and then explain it in text.

    Guild runs are different; we almost always get on Discord. But it's easy; we're all already part of our guild Discord, and often people are accustomed to having used it for guild events (trials, Cyro, PD runs, whatever). Plus, we've probably talked before and know we'll enjoy being in voice chat.

    I guess ESO PC might be considered "colder", depending on your point of view, for this. But I'm fine with it. Better than FO76, which (at least the last time I played) had no text chat, only voice, so you HAD to use a microphone (or emotes, haha) to communicate, and if you were deaf and/or mute you were just screwed I guess. And yes, I did actually enjoy that game otherwise, until I finished all the PvE content that wasn't just grinding for slightly better stuff (got 2 characters to 100+ and called it a day until Wastelanders).
    Army of me:
    CP700+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Bosmer stamina Necromancer
    Sub-50: Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account (sub-50): Nord tank, Bosmer stamina Templar, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Breton magicka Warden
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Console in-game voice comms isn't without it's issues, if that helps. I do think it's more convenient to have a common means of communication though.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Xbox One NA
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Easier
    Yes, it probably is, as it's there
    More likely to get casual use do to interrogation

    Better
    It probably is not, as PC can choose many more, both options and providers, to suit usage requirements

    This is probably the best answer. It's obviously easier and more convenient compared to having to open additional third party program(s). But as with any stock functionality, after-market additions (i.e. add-ons) are almost always going to be better quality and that is true with ESO. The in-game UI for console voice-chatting is nowhere near as good as Discord, TeamSpeak, etc...and it will never be. Each medium of voice chatting has it's pros and cons, and serves a better purpose depending on which platform you play on.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox REQUIRES a built-in voice chat API because it cannot use discord, TS, Vent, etc etc etc.

    I'm on PS4, so not sure if it's not possible with XBox, but I can most certainly use discord voice thru my PS4 / headphones and retain game sound. We used to do this when the in game voice channels would disappear regularly and Playstation only supported 8 people in party chat for my progression group.

    Now that Playstation supports 16 it's by far the better option compared to in-game voice for raid groups at least. 24 person + cyro groups though are still at the mercy of in game chat which, while better than nothing, still has it's issues.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing on PC, we have much better options for organized voice chat. But the options for unorganized voice chat are bad. I do wish there was an addon or something to streamline this. Most people do not want to be giving out TeamSpeak or Discord links to random strangers. And I especially do not want to do it as I am not a guild leader and do not own/manage the voice channels. If there was some way to spin up a temporary voice channel for the group with the press of a button, it would be amazing. And just have the temporary voice channel go away (or back into some pool of available temporary voice channels) when group disbands, that would be so cool.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    listening to toxic flamers in pugs? no thank you :# glad pc doesn't have auto voice chat
    PC EU
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn’t say it’s better on console. Everytime you switch chat there’s risk of the chat your switching to glitching and disappearing a bug that’s been in for years if not since day 1 of console versions release.

    Then there’s every few weeks or months ZoS will switch your voice chats around putting you in area chat & whatever guild chat is top of the list instead of leaving it where it was. (Seriously ZoS I wanna be in my 2nd or 3rd guilds channels - leave me in those channels ffs)

    A lot of Xbox people either use discord or Xbox party chat (there’s still a fair number using in game chats but a lot don’t anymore)

    So you see some see it as a better thing, some of us see it as being just as bad as no voice chat, etc.
    S.A.96
    XBL GT: Shadow Akula 96
    YT channel: Shadow Akula 96
    FB page: S.A.96

    Would be great if ZoS didn’t ignore their community wouldn’t it?
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    Well I’m missing my keyboard on the Xbox for chatting. 😏
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, PS4 does have better voice communication... when its working. Spoiler alert, it rarely works
Sign In or Register to comment.