The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

a change id like to see to snipe

ThePhantomThorn
ThePhantomThorn
✭✭✭✭
this should hopefully reduce the buggyness and spam of the skill while maintaining its use.

cast time increase to 2sec from 1sec
tooltip damage increase (30% - 40%)
you have to keep you crosshair over target for cast time or will cancel.

so what would this do?
a - no stacking of snipes, therefore reducing desyncs
b - sniping would take more skill to do.

so rather than snipe snipe snipe snipe etc. there would be well timed combos such as snipe - crossbow
and yes people would still die from it but it would be better.
*mentally preparing for salt
thoughts?

• WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill is fine its all about the desync. I sometimes even die of just 1 snipe and the rest oils, it just didn't register and drop dead out of nowhere. Its all about the desync, all my characters will survive a snipe spammer while being killed by desync is so rampant unfortunately
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL :D:joy:
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see this and similar suggestions a lot, you do realize literally no skill in this game requires even 10% of the skill you would need to pull of successful snipe in combat. Hell, people literally cry over cast time on ultimates and people were crying for months how dizzy is hard to use just because it was possible to cancel cast by running bit too fast for user. The game doesnt work like this, you cant even aim at people in groups
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    I see this and similar suggestions a lot, you do realize literally no skill in this game requires even 10% of the skill you would need to pull of successful snipe in combat. Hell, people literally cry over cast time on ultimates and people were crying for months how dizzy is hard to use just because it was possible to cancel cast by running bit too fast for user. The game doesnt work like this, you cant even aim at people in groups

i dont mean exactly on.
    but i think its weird that you can press snipe then turn away and it still hits.
    sniping should be a high skill playstyle, with high rewards. not a spam.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Risk vs reward...
    2 seconds will be 10 seconds if ever in cyrodiil lag.
    Also you'd have to buff the damage it does to make it worth even slotting atp
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put I am confident the suggestion will never happen. OP suggests a 2 second cast time but then actually extends it for another second or more since they are requiring the caster to sit there keeping their cross hairs over the target.
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original version of Snipe at launch had a longer cast time (1.5s IIRC) and higher relative damage, like the OP is suggesting. It suffered from the same problems it still does now, plus it was easier to gank with and the Lethal Arrow morph had a stacking Defile effect. So no, I don't think it should be mechanically changed again, just fixed so that you can actually always hear the arrow fire when you're being stealth sniped, and of course being hit by 3 invisible nukes at once from the same person thanks to "Snipe Lag" needs to go.
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we tell him that server side characters in ESO follow quantum mechanics and not classic physics? At any given time you target is located somewhere within 10-20m radius from their position shown on the screen. See a problem with that?

You can just say you want Snipe deleted from the game. Let it go with some dignity.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snipe is fine. It's just a scapegoat for ongoing server issues and bad players.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this should hopefully reduce the buggyness and spam of the skill while maintaining its use.

so what would this do?

so rather than snipe snipe snipe snipe etc. there would be well timed combos such as snipe - crossbow
    thoughts?

I like the way you went about this @ThePhantomThorn
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people keep making threads with ideas to change snipe for us, when no change is needed at all.
    we archers are already having fun and enjoying the skill snipe.
    no changes are needed, other than to increase its damage and Lower it's cast time.

and by the way, about that cross-hair thing, we already do have it where if you even slightly loose line of sight and you even the slightest aren't on the target and blocked and your cross-hairs are not exactly on the target it will cancel the snipe cast.
    that already exists.

Edited by Gilvoth on December 31, 2019 9:48PM
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should be removed from the game, it causes desyncs and it promotes lazy garbage gameplay. We have 10 skills at our disposal to press, it's a dang MMO, you can't allow 1 freaking single to be spammed and kill people, 1 button pressed without effort or skill involved.
    Make the range 20 meters or damage 50% reduction, fix the desync and I'm fine with it.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fix the skill. It's that simple. Like fear, like rune cage (which just got nerfed into oblivion instead)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They fixed the deyncs for exactly one patch and then the issue came back. None of these other suggestions are needed.

Just fix the desyncs again...for good this time.
    Edited by brandonv516 on December 31, 2019 11:03PM
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see what you are trying to do here ;)
    way to ask for a nerf and try to not make it look like one
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    I see what you are trying to do here ;)
    way to ask for a nerf and try to not make it look like one

if they are successfull then we just do the same with their skills.
    its a war, all is fair in war and love
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »
    It should be removed from the game, it causes desyncs and it promotes lazy garbage gameplay. We have 10 skills at our disposal to press, it's a dang MMO, you can't allow 1 freaking single to be spammed and kill people, 1 button pressed without effort or skill involved.
    Make the range 20 meters or damage 50% reduction, fix the desync and I'm fine with it.

you can say that same exact thing about ANY skill in eso.
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

you can say that same exact thing about ANY skill in eso.[/quote]

Oh yes I quite frequently get hit by carve 5 times out of nowhere and run around with zero resources with my skills clicking till I finally die and float around the ground.
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also fondly remember fighting a couple players and then multiple rending slashes just appear out of thin air and my health has a spasm from 100 to zero.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes I quite frequently get hit by carve 5 times out of nowhere and run around with zero resources with my skills clicking till I finally die and float around the ground.

Of course not.

Instead we run out of resources and start sliding on the ground before showing a variety of skills.

More generally the hate on Snipe is more due to the lack of expectation of death and the spam of a single skill.

I see near the exact same death profile when a ball group rolls over me as when a Snipe spammer downs me. In both cases buttons stop working, resources immediately drop to 0, and I know I’m dead before my character shows it.

Deleting Snipe won’t save anyone from lag or glitches. It will only save you seeing a death recap of:

Snipe
    Snipe
    Snipe
    Etc
    Edited by Toc de Malsvi on January 1, 2020 1:19AM
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t mean to diminish the possibility that someone has actually found a way to reliably cause a health desync. I have found no evidence of this, only claims.

I have tried and can’t reliably reproduce a health desync. People dodge or block after the first or second snipe the majority of the time. Unless they are really weak or low health enough to die to two snipes.

It is still marginally fun to run around on an essentially max damage stam blade and pick off weak targets. But there are plenty of groups where you aren’t killing any of them with just Snipe spam. Which leads me to believe the desync is just lag and players are just upset to die.
    Edited by Toc de Malsvi on January 1, 2020 1:29AM
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t mean to diminish the possibility that someone has actually found a way to reliably cause a health desync. I have found no evidence of this, only claims.

I have tried and can’t reliably reproduce a health desync. People dodge or block after the first or second snipe the majority of the time. Unless they are really weak or low health enough to die to two snipes.

It is still marginally fun to run around on an essentially max damage stam blade and pick off weak targets. But there are plenty of groups where you aren’t killing any of them with just Snipe spam. Which leads me to believe the desync is just lag and players are just upset to die.

There used to be a player in lowbie PvP (which typically has little to no server lag) that was notorious for being able to consistently cause you to instantly die from Snipe desync. I saw him stealthing around a keep so I went out the front door to see for myself, and a few seconds after I saw him disappear, my character instantly dropped dead with absolutely no indication that I was under attack. My death recap showed 3 Snipes intermixed with a Poison Injection and a glyph damage effect. Tbf this was several patches ago, so I don’t know if it’s still possible to do this, but it just goes to show that you can never underestimate some players’ ability to game the system.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a sniper. Not asking for a nerf.
    I want it to be stronger for skilled snipers and less of a buggy mess
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a bad skill for bad players. They take advantage of how buggy it is by shooting a warrior in the back while he is fighting several other enemies. By the time the server can catch up you’ve desynced and taken 3+ snipes you never saw or heard. My suggestion is to reduce the range of snipe to 20m and remove all stuns from stealth that are not melee range.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 1, 2020 7:49AM
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok i have officially joined the delete snipe club after attempting a 1v1 only to be desynced by 2 snipers.

everything i have said up till now is disregarded.
    i am done.
    it needs to go.

a skill that is like that is not fair on us solo players. we spend so much time and effort in a fight only to be desynced.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »

People spam jabs... should we remove that also? People that think it should be removed flat out suck at the game. If you are dying to snipe spam that much change up your build/playstyle.
    Edited by Dr_Ganknstein on January 4, 2020 2:32PM
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭

so what would this do?

thoughts?

The fact that you think increasing snipe damage will help shows you have no understanding of the skill. The cast time isn't going to make it harder lol, they'll be flat deleting people. REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on January 7, 2020 3:15PM
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭

so what would this do?

thoughts?

The fact that you think increasing snipe damage will help shows you have no understanding of the skill. The cast time isn't going to make it harder lol, they'll be flat deleting people. REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME

look 3 posts up
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have to keep you crosshair over target for cast time or will cancel

Good luck with that :D
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭

so what would this do?

thoughts?

crosshair over target would make sense if they made it so it required aim, and keeping the crosshair on the target would make the arrow "follow" the target. a sort of a balance between a fixed arrow path and lockons.
    skill cancel doesn't make much sense tho. way too hard for the caster/easy to cheese for the target.
    I would posit that the West is technologically infantile compared to what is realized in TERA, but then again we have games like Battlefield 3 and 4 which do largescale multiplayer combat without lockons and with realtime projectile bullets.
    lockons make archery OP.