The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Stepping into someone else fight (PvE)

airasumi
airasumi
Soul Shriven
Hello community.

I'm a first-timer player to ESO and we could say to online games in general (last time I played an MMORPG was many many years ago).

I started playing ESO some 2 weeks ago on the PS4 platform, I'm still reading lots of guides and just now I more or less understand what is going on at a very local level (ie: main quest, crafting, using the map, baby steps :) ). I played Oblivion and Skyrim so I'm not completely lost lore-wise, but this is really a very different experience.

Now, to the point.
While roaming this vast land I find now and then some lone player fighting creatures, I generally stop briefly to check their health and the overall situation and if I feel like they could use some help I step in (usually healing as it is what I'm building my main character for or drawing the creature's attention with a taunt).

The question: Is this something that is regarded as a good thing or I am just annoying the other player (generally speaking, of course)? Am I "stealing" their kills or loot or not being helpful at all?

Being on the PS4, it is not straightforward to ask if they need help (unless there IS a straightforward way to do it that I haven't learned yet). I tried to find an answer in this forum, but I may not being using the right keywords, I apologize if this was asked over and over again.

Thanks for reading, happy playing.

PS. Sorry for the intro, I won't start all my posts this way but there is no "present yourself" section.

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no kill steals in the game. You both get exp and loot. So wail away. In fact you don't even affect experience earned negatively.

What is not cool is to grab the harvest node or chest next to the player who is fighting. Wait to see if they take it or move along and leave it.

EDIT Fixed Typo, there are no kill steals in the game.
    Edited by Nestor on December 17, 2019 3:31PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, i meant no Kill Steals in the game.

Also, containers are instanced for each player. This means you can loot the exact same container as another player, and you each get loot. And, the loot is different for each player.

The only things that are "instanced to the zone" harvest nodes and treasure chests.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"