Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I volunteer to rebuild Greenshade for free

krachall
krachall
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not a programmer or coder or developer but I have designed maps for a few SP games. I'm an amateur, at best but I volunteer to redesign the abomination of a zone, Greenshade, for free. That's right, ZOS, in a day when warehouse workers with zero experience are making $21, an hour, I'll do some much needed work for FREE. FREE as in pro bono. Zero money. Nada denero. Zilch.

[snip]. I'll forgive the fact that the zone is the most mind-numbly boring zone in the history of video games (It's not mountains, but it's not flat. It's got a coast but it's not oceanic. It's kinda jungle but not really. It's kinda woods, but not really) but I know I could make it less ANNOYING.

Some things I'll do differently. Basically, I won't incorporate the zero-value, only-there-to-annoy Greenshade features.

1. I won't put a vertical wall every 50 yards. That's right, I will allow players to run a straight line for more than 10 seconds. *gasp*
2. I will allow cross country travel instead of designing stick-to-the-roads-over-scripted-bargain-basement-console-game navigation.
3. I won't place every skyshard in a natural maze with a single approach that's as far from the nearest wayshrine as possible.
4. I'll CERTAINLY relocate the Marbruk skyshard (Directions: Enter mage's guild, exit mage's guild, enter mage's guild, exit mage's guild, find skyshard)
5. I won't shake up a triple-portion bucket of random, low XP trash mobs and dump them on top of the zone with no rhyme or reason other than to ensure you can't ride for 10 seconds without being CC'd.
6. I'll make streams and rivers smoothly transition from river bank to water and back out, you know, like a river, instead of making every one a 100' deep cavern.

So, what do you say ZOS? I know you "get what you pay for" but this free work cannot be any worse than what Greenshade is today!

Edit for bashing.
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 12, 2019 10:43PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShameAdobeStock_1_0.jpeg?itok=q2HqPdoV
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a programmer or coder or developer but I have designed maps for a few SP games. I'm an amateur, at best but I volunteer to redesign the abomination of a zone, Greenshade, for free. That's right, ZOS, in a day when warehouse workers with zero experience are making $21, an hour, I'll do some much needed work for FREE. FREE as in pro bono. Zero money. Nada denero. Zilch.

And while I'm certainly not qualified to do this, I know I could do a FAR better job than the 8 year old Minecraft player who designed the current Greenshade. I'll forgive the fact that the zone is the most mind-numbly boring zone in the history of video games (It's not mountains, but it's not flat. It's got a coast but it's not oceanic. It's kinda jungle but not really. It's kinda woods, but not really) but I know I could make it less ANNOYING.

Some things I'll do differently. Basically, I won't incorporate the zero-value, only-there-to-annoy Greenshade features.

1. I won't put a vertical wall every 50 yards. That's right, I will allow players to run a straight line for more than 10 seconds. *gasp*
    2. I will allow cross country travel instead of designing stick-to-the-roads-over-scripted-bargain-basement-console-game navigation.
    3. I won't place every skyshard in a natural maze with a single approach that's as far from the nearest wayshrine as possible.
    4. I'll CERTAINLY relocate the Marbruk skyshard (Directions: Enter mage's guild, exit mage's guild, enter mage's guild, exit mage's guild, find skyshard)
    5. I won't shake up a triple-portion bucket of random, low XP trash mobs and dump them on top of the zone with no rhyme or reason other than to ensure you can't ride for 10 seconds without being CC'd.
    6. I'll make streams and rivers smoothly transition from river bank to water and back out, you know, like a river, instead of making every one a 100' deep cavern.

So, what do you say ZOS? I know you "get what you pay for" but this free work cannot be any worse than what Greenshade is today!
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »

[snip] I'll forgive the fact that the zone is the most mind-numbly boring zone in the history of video games (It's not mountains, but it's not flat. It's got a coast but it's not oceanic. It's kinda jungle but not really. It's kinda woods, but not really) but I know I could make it less ANNOYING.

Edit for bashing.

And I will give ZOS $10 to leave the zone as is. Green shade is fine and one of my favorite zones. Now if you want to fix the visual glitches in craglorn go for it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 12, 2019 10:44PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    You do know its bad design to have giant sightlines in a populated area right? It means you cant actually make the area look "full" and populate it with objects and script ridden things. You have just enough things in render range and nothing more.
    The modern world still uses roads after thousands of years. Maybe there is a good reason for roads you haven't thought of?
    So you would design an exploration mechanic to not require exploration? Instant entitlement has been proven to be a very bad game design.
    Eh, I will give you this one. I suspect mage guild questline phasing is to blame for why they need a transition door but a swing door would be oh so much more immersive. Doesn't make the skyshard position bad though.
    Conversely an empty zone is.. well empty. The phrase "dead air" comes to mind.
    Rivers don't work that way. Rivers are weird. I've seen a river where 99% of its 80-mile run was walkable but one mile of it could swallow a train and you'd never know. Honestly "realistic" rivers wouldn't be passable most of the time. In games, almost all rivers and streams are passable because they are meant to be immersive and not brutal barriers. Hills are the same way. A huge amount of hills in real life are not actually traversable without tools or geoscaping. Coulees are a great example of something that used to be a hard stop for early explorers. If people actually geoscaped video games realistically it would frustrate gamers for no good reason.
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm completely dumbfounded by your experience with this zone. How are you having trouble finding the skyshard in Marbruk? It seems like this is the only zone you've ever ventured.
    It's a different landscape, why should it appeal just to your liking?
    Maybe don't ride through mobs and you won't be cc'd, it really isn't hard to avoid them. You want every skyshard handed to you?? [snip]

Edit for bait.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 12, 2019 10:47PM
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ok, this is basically a rant thinly disguised as a offer of 'help'. I appreciate the OP's candor about not having any relevant experience, but the effect is kind of ruined by the 'I can do better than the pros' remark.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greenshade made more sense back when all the questlines were level-locked and you couldn't go do things out of order...

Oh, who am I kidding? I hated Greenshade for its level design even before One Tamriel.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of valid criticisms, but Malabar Tor gets my goat even more. It’s a nice looking zone but about as fun to navigate as rush hour traffic. Thankfully the EP and to a lesser extent DC zones are less obnoxious.
    Edited by Ohtimbar on December 12, 2019 5:25PM
    forever stuck in combat
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd take both Malabal Tor and Greenshade over Reaper's March. Talk about inconvenient terrain. From the map, it looks like I can get somewhere then...nope, either a steep cliff or canyon I have to navigate around. Not to mention the skeevers every 5 feet.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

As this thread is not very constructive and comes off in a bashing manner, we have felt it best to close it..When creating threads/posts, we ask that they be kept civil and constructive, as well as within the guidelines of the rules we have in place. If there are any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.