The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Undaunted event in January, Activity finder no longer broken....when?

Bloodraven187
Bloodraven187
✭✭✭
Ok so the title will sound like this is going to be a rant, but not really my intent.

I like that they are at least keeping the communications open and taking responsibility for things they did wrong or didn't catch. A lot of companies don't do one or both of those.

That said I find it horribly ironic that expectations are being set to see an Undaunted event next month but there is no word on when to expect the Activity Finder to be repaired and functional. As it stands right now people still can't join queues with partially filled groups of 2-3 people. From my end it looks like it is failing to assign the group a number in the queue so of course it never comes up. But regardless of why, it is still broken. If we see the Undaunted event come out and this still isn't resolved completely, then how bad is the community/playerbase backlash going to be? People are already at wits end over a lot of things that have been done right now, from the nerf bats over a problem that wasn't even really a problem (that would be a rant), to performance issues overall, to the activity finder issues, to BG games failing, to Cyrodiil being, well frankly a mess....the list goes on.

If we end up seeing the Undaunted event go forward and you can't do it unless you are either alone or in a full group of 4 that can just bypass the activity finder, it might be the straw that break's the camel's back. So rather than see updates on the Undaunted event, which at this point are more hopes than promises really, I would rather see updates on when the thing you absolutely NEED to function for that event is going to actually work. If it comes to the choice between a temporary 2-3 week event and a year-round core game function, I would rather sacrifice the event that would only be a couple weeks than have something stay broken for 52 weeks out of the year. Just raw math and all that.
Edited by Bloodraven187 on December 11, 2019 5:37PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Update is pretty clear on the steps that will happen.

Step 1: Groupfinder passes Q&A and gets hotfixed to the Live Servers.
    Step 2: we find out whether the Groupfinder fixes are stable on the Live Server.
    If yes, proceed to Step 3: ZOS figures out a good time for the Undaunted Event.
    If no, repeat Step 0: back to Q&A.

So when ZOS says "As of this time, we still plan to re-enable the Undaunted Event, but we’re moving it out of this year and into mid-January so we can continue working on some additional fixes for the Activity Finder." That also tells you the expected timeline for the Groupfinder hotfix and Live testing. Those have to come first.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the group finder issue is frustrating. Very much so. I am just as frustrated as anyone.

But I'd rather Zos took thier time and made sure they get things right rather than rush and make things way worse.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think ZOS made it pretty clear that the Undaunted Event wouldn't move forward until they felt the Activity Finder was working properly. It's the reason they postponed the event until January, because the Activity Finder wasn't ready for the event to happen this week as they'd hoped. Thus, if they're hoping to move forward with the event in January, then that's their expected timeline for the Activity Finder to be ready. If it's not, then the event will be postponed again.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think the way they're doing this is probably the best course of action they could have taken. They bring the event back later to have enough time to ensure - hopefully - that the activity finder will be working properly when the event takes place, while giving us the opportunity to earn more event tickets during the New Life Festival, so we're not at a disadvantage ticket-wise.

Seems much better to me than just squeezing the event in now, just because people kept asking for it, when the group finder still doesn't work as intended.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Bloodraven187
    Bloodraven187
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I am not saying rush things, that is what got us into this mess in the first place.

What I am saying is not to set expectations UNTIL they actually see Activity Finder working for a month on the live servers before deciding on a timeline for the event. I had rather expressly stated that having it come out before the AF is fixed would cause way more of a backlash than delaying the event.
    Edited by Bloodraven187 on December 11, 2019 6:26PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS probably don’t know exactly when the group finder will be working properly.

They’ve been working on it now for around a year. Every time they think they have got it working they have run into problems. I can imagine everyone working on this being very cautious in declaring success as it’s clear that it’s not an easy thing to redevelop or solve.

Once they feel it’s ready I’m sure they’ll be equally cautious in testing it before launching it. They don’t want another of their events to go down in flames. So hopefully it will be sorted in January, but I don’t think that’s a given and I’d rather they took more time and really got it right than bellyflopped again.

It seems like everything and their uncle will be dropping tickets over New Life. So everyone will get what they want.
  • Reyleigh
    Reyleigh
    ✭✭✭
    ffs just bring back the motifs at the impresario, nobody cares about farming dungeons
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reyleigh wrote: »
    ffs just bring back the motifs at the impresario, nobody cares about farming dungeons

This was asked and answered on the Twitter update.

"Will the opal motif be there during New Life? Or will you be keeping it for the possible Undaunted rerun?"

"The intent is to bring them back with Undaunted since they are so closely related to dungeons."
  • Bloodraven187
    Bloodraven187
    ✭✭✭
    @FierceSam That is my point. I would rather be seeing updates about the Activity finder and a month or more of proven stability on the live servers before seeing updates about events. But what we see instead is the statement of this is coming at x time with nothing said about the core system they need for that thing coming at x time being fixed.So it becomes a legitimate question. When are we going to get updates about this core system that is broken and why are we getting updates about this event depending on this broken system to actually have? But i could only fit so much on the title of the post, so, I got as close as I could to it.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @FierceSam That is my point. I would rather be seeing updates about the Activity finder and a month or more of proven stability on the live servers before seeing updates about events. But what we see instead is the statement of this is coming at x time with nothing said about the core system they need for that thing coming at x time being fixed.So it becomes a legitimate question. When are we going to get updates about this core system that is broken and why are we getting updates about this event depending on this broken system to actually have? But i could only fit so much on the title of the post, so, I got as close as I could to it.

Well you know how human's are, only care about when they can get their shiny things, and that's about it.
  • Mainman99
    Mainman99
    ✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    ZOS probably don’t know exactly when the group finder will be working properly.
    It seems like everything and their uncle will be dropping tickets over New Life. So everyone will get what they want.

I want a functional Undaunted event.... Cant buy that for tickets...

I LIKE to earn my tickets, not get them for logging in (almost)

There was a game that had an event to kill bosses not unlike the dragon hunt. The main problem was that only US player kills counted. When EU-players complained the answer was "But you can play the content and get the loot?". IMO still not the same since being able to aid the goal means more than just playing wo aiding