The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tips on making a viable but adjustable build?

rksilvally
rksilvally
Soul Shriven
Hey guys. First off, I'd like to say I'm new to MMOs. ESO is the first I've gotten into and I joined a few weeks ago.

My main is a Breton Templar. (And a vampire for RP purposes, which I know is a huge weakness in dungeons, but that's fine.) Currently all my points are dumped into magicka. I'm still only at about CP100; I'm a roleplayer so I don't spend a TON of time grinding.

I'm kind of facing a dilemma where I don't want to make a second character just to swap roles, but when I'm playing by myself-- say queueing up for dungeon finder or what have you --I always go healer. But my RP guild has a lot of people who go healer, so when I do dungeons with them, I normally slot myself as DPS because ironically that's always what we end up missing.

The problem is I have a bit of difficulty being particularly viable in either role. I always feel like an underwhelming support, but also like I don't do enough damage. Granted that's partially because I forget to use buff items a lot, I think. But I also think my build is flawed.

Having 2 sets of armor and swapping ritual stones before queueing as healer/DPS wouldn't bother me, nor would having 2 completely different ability sets, even if it would be tedious. But as someone who's not super well-versed in MMOs, I think I just struggle to build in general. People say do what's fun and that's all well and good except I want to actually matter in dungeons and eventually go on to vet trials, without having to grind out a completely second character.

I have held onto the respec scrolls you get from leveling up because I knew eventually I'd have to respec because the less baby-oriented the dungeons are, the more I notice massive flaws in my kit, but I'm nervous about spending them and just coming up with the same weaknesses. So if someone could help me strike a middle ground where I can play both healer and DPS situationally that would be very much appreciated. I have already gotten a lot of skyshards so if it would take a lot of points between passives and skills and stuff that's not an issue.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since I don't PVP in Cyrodill anymore, mostly just BG's, I basically set my CP up for a PVE DPS and leave them that way. This lets me just throw on PVE gear, PVE skills, do some dungeons or AoE farm or whatever...then when I need to do some BG's swap back to my PVP sets, PVP skills, etc and I am G2G.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would go to the alcast site and cut/paste his recommendations for a dps magplar.

This will allow you to focus more on mechanics and practicing light atta k weaving then worry about your spec.

With the way the game is designed you’re actually weakest in the game right after hitting 50 and leveling from 0-160 CPs. Until you grind that part out there really isn’t a point in worrying about sets too, just progress your story line quests and hit dungeons at CP160 to collect gear.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily, Templars only have 2 skills that that have opposite morphs (1 healer morph, 1 DPS morph). Those skills are Shards from the Aedric Spear tree, and Necrotic Orb from the Undaunted skill line

The person above was right when they said to build an Alcast beginner build. The dps and healer skills will be different, and the "Beginner Tier" gear will do fine for even veteran content (maybe not Vet DLC dungeons, depending on your skill & game knowledge - you'll get there!)

You can also pick gear that will allow you to do both! So you could just swap skills and go. If you pick one damage set (with Spell Damage, Max Magicka, Spell Critical) and a second set with Magicka recovery (or just more damage would be good), these stats will both buff your heals and your damage (heals can crit, too). You might just have to change into a resto staff when you wanna heal, and out of one when you wanna DPS

You can combine 2 of any of the following starter sets to do any content: Mother's Sorrow, Law of Julianos*, Armor of the Seducer*, New Moon Acolyte*, Bright-Throat's Boast, Burning Spellweave, Worm's Raiment

* = crafted

I would add skill suggestions, but this comment is already a bit long :~p
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Healing 4 man content can be done in DPS gear and CP. Heck, unless you are with a really bad group you will be doing some DPS. Healing challenging trials will need healing gear and CP.
    2. For PvP, the more serious you are about PvP the more of a specific build you will want. Basically, run with large group/zergs then you can use the same gear and CP and slot some different skills as needed. Running in a small group and especially solo then consider a PvP build.

It all comes down to how serious you want to be in what you are doing at the moment. I would not stress about it unless you start to really get into specific activities. Focus on enjoying the game.
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are running hybrid temps, I like:
    Mothers sorrow
    Iceheart helm and shoulders
    Destruction mastery
    Ancient grace jewelry
    Shadow
    All points in magicka

Mothers inferno FB- masters resto BB

I will swap out ancient for mother’s if I need more critical.
    Solo overland and dungeons, I have zero issues with healing and support dps. Well, unless potatoes are standing in red with cement shoes.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use alphagear2 addon (or any of that kind) to switch between full healer and DD/healer hybrid in DLC vet dungeons and any other dungeon respectively.

Bars
    DD/healer hybrid preset:
    Destro bar: Inner light, Entropy, BoL, Unstable, Sweeps; Temp Guard
    Resto bar: Puri light, Blazing, ExtRitual, Siphon, Solar Barrage; Shooting star

Full healer preset:
    Resto bar: Inner light, Springs, BoL, Parid Regen, Siphon; Temp Guard
    Destro bar: Puri light, Blazing, Ext Ritual, Entropy, Healing Orb; Barrier

I use Twice Born Star (Mage + Ritual) and SPC. Kagrenac is also nice, but magicka pool is lower, and you obviously need more magicka rather than spell damage or meh crit chance (Julianos).
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how many skill points you have, if you have over 125 you I recommend using Alcast damage dealer and healer build to help you select the various skills need to create a well rounded dps/healer character. I state this as you may end up one day asked to heal and if you don't have the skill ready you will need to respect and while respecting you may miss out on a dungeon run because it took to long.

I reviewed both and took the skills that would boost my damage from the damage build and than I than selected the skills from the healing build that would allow me to be a healer in a dungeon when I want to play a dungeon.

When I solo or go into the dungeon as a damage dealer I do fairly well though I could easily do more damage with better gear, better enchantments, etc..

The gear sets I currently use are Power Spell Cure and Worm Cult. Since I tend to heal in dungeons both set help my group with damage buff and magika recovery (sorry stamina DPS I need the magika recovery to ensure I can do my other abilities that buff you and heal you.

When I finally feel like it, as I'm still working on improving my CP and finishing up the main story lines, I will farm to get the jewelry for the power spell cure set so I can go after a monster set as I have all of the pieces I need for the worm cult set.

If you decide not to heal I would just go ahead with Alcast solo or damage dealer builds as both are good and should work for you.

I would like to point out that until you hit 160 your gear will constantly be changing, so until you hit 160 gear shouldn't matter as much.