Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Changes Change Change back- Jewelry & other drops issues

ShadowWolf44
ShadowWolf44
✭✭✭
I hesitate to even bother posting anymore, as it's a basically useless thing to do. We can still get some intelligent players, who take posts seriously, most either do not- or use it as a way to attack the posters, as if their concerns are stupid, irrelevant, or beneath their moronic "Highness". Anyways', guess I will-

The jewelry change WAS nice. (oh, before you cap crier's begin, i use caps to emphasize a word, don't like it? tough). I'm unsure what's changed, if anything- I only know that the purple/gold drop rates have gone back to the moronic way they were before.

After the change- I actually ended up with a couple more of each of those. I was finally able to do a couple of the 112 Master Writs I've held onto, in case a change came. And then? The drops just dried up. I need to do the Master Writs, because I still need vouchers for things I'd like to acquire. However- as of this writing, I only have enough purple to do 2 Master writs of Purple, or 1 purple, 1 Gold. I farm everyday, as I have since I began this game, usually around 10-12 hours. I do all my surveys. And yet? I still don't have any purple/gold, to craft jewelry for MYSELF. Let alone, God forbid I spend the gold that I have to buy the supplies to make them, only to find better equipment down the road or that the equipment I waited years to upgrade, wasn't really worth it to begin with.

In other words, there will never be any "experimenting" so that I can get to the gear that's best for my play-style and desired jobs. I thought that's what the fix was for. I've given this several months before posting about it.

As always, honest, open debate on this is most welcome. Agree or disagree, you are most welcome. If you come to attack or make 1 sentence cut-downs, to me or any posting on this? Get lost.

This being long enough already, I will save the, "Why no Motif drops during this last Dragon event- after over 100 dragons" question, for another time. Thanks for reading. And I'll try to get back to any questions, as soon as I can.

ShadowWolf44 ---->> Posting for my Stamblade Sealia Night 160- Grand Master Crafter.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grains drop from refining is similar to other materials. For example I have refined 11.5K platinum dust I got from my surveys a couple of days ago and got 58 chromium, 75 zircon grains, 100+ iridium grains. I also get plenty of them from my daily writs, far more than refining, but that's also in line with the other crafts I do. See the discussion here for more details: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/503067/best-way-to-get-jewelry-crafting-platings
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I understand you need to let off steam, but I promise you this post will be much more productive if you take out the snarky remarks and drama-baiting. It'll be in your best interest.

Was there any official word on this supposed fix? The general consensus on these discussions is that any fluctuation in drop rates is a matter of your personal RNG, rather than an actual adjustment of drop rates.
    Edited by Raisin on December 10, 2019 9:12AM
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly do believe that the changes they made were a notable improvement and of course a large part of people's experience will be affected by rng. I just wanted to contribute to this discussion a reminder to consider things from other perspectives.

There are people here who do writs daily on 18+ characters. There are people here who want to be able to craft themselves things, but play primarily one character and don't do writs on alts. And of course, there are many people somewhere between the two. In terms of collecting grains and plates, the experience of these people is going to be vastly different. I've seen a lot of threads on jewelry where this seems to be largely forgotten. I don't have a solution to finding a balance between the needs of newer/struggling players and master crafters, but I do think it is an important consideration for discussions to be fruitful.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just like any other math function RNG will tend to smooth out the more samples you take. That's why it's better to see if your sample is statistically relevant or not before you draw any conclusions. In fact zircon, iridium and terne drop rate got a buff in Scalebreaker since now you have a guaranteed grain drop from the daily writs, with the quality distribution dependent on the tier of the writ. Before that you either got a chromium or zircon grain, or a common trait material so there was a real bottleneck, especially for zircon and iridium. But they also introduced the blue quality master writs who eventually ended up as junk as well, since the demand they put on iridium increased prices to the point where they're much more expensive to craft than other types of master writs.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As all in this game, rng has a huge impact in our luck.

I do daily writs every day, jewelry is maxed in all my chars (8) - I always get at least 1 grain (green, purple or gold) per char. Sometimes double grains. I never got a plating from rewards since the system was refurbished.

Besides that, I deconstruct every single piece of jewelry I find if I'm not interested in using them or selling them (no matter from which set it is) - I ran vet pledges with more that one char (when I have time to do it) just to deconstruct all the gear that drops. Another thing I did, mainly while leveling my alts, was running the Alik'r dolmen frenzy - you always get at least a jewelry drop from a dolmen.

Damage control: regarding refining since my rng sometimes is pretty crappy, I tend now to refine in smaller batches (100 or 150 ounces) so the "losses" won't be as higher as they can be if you refine all your stash in one single time. If the rng is good/acceptable I keep refining small batches only to "control" my losses.

PS - I got more than enough mats to craft whatever I want to craft whenever I feel like it.

PS2 - Blue master writs requiring triune are trash - cost to produce is higher than the benefit.

Edited: PS2 added
    Edited by redlink1979 on December 10, 2019 11:05AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that RNG is determined at the start of the refining sequence, or depends on server load, moment of day and other superstitions - AFAIK there is 0 proof for those claims made by players in the past. So refining in small or large batches has no impact on the result. Before they integrated multi crafting in the game, I used an addon to refine large batches of raw materials. In some instances I saw 3 gold upgrades drop in 3 refine sequences, and then I didn't see any for 30 sequences, but at the end it was still close to what I expected, and others have got as well: 1 gold upgrade per stack of 200 raw material. Nowadays the server simply generates all the sequences and gives them to the client in batch instead of generating one per second for half an hour, like before.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    So refining in small or large batches has no impact on the result

Smaller batches prevent you to refine a huge amount of raw mats to get a low number, or none at all, of gold mats... If I don't get some gold mats from refining a 100/150/200 ounces batch(es), I just stop and call it a day. Tomorrow can and will be a brighter day.

Edited: typos
    Edited by redlink1979 on December 10, 2019 12:36PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way is probably to decon jewellery you find in dungeons and trials. Especially when you run on vet, there's plenty purple and 1 - 2 gold. When you run vas 8 times in a row you're basically swimming in it. It's a good incentive to get onto the end game train. At one point I had 42 gold jewellery improvements out of this. (not grains, improvements)
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    As all in this game, rng has a huge impact in our luck.

I do daily writs every day, jewelry is maxed in all my chars (8) - I always get at least 1 grain (green, purple or gold) per char. Sometimes double grains. I never got a plating from rewards since the system was refurbished.

Besides that, I deconstruct every single piece of jewelry I find if I'm not interested in using them or selling them (no matter from which set it is) - I ran vet pledges with more that one char (when I have time to do it) just to deconstruct all the gear that drops. Another thing I did, mainly while leveling my alts, was running the Alik'r dolmen frenzy - you always get at least a jewelry drop from a dolmen.

Damage control: regarding refining since my rng sometimes is pretty crappy, I tend now to refine in smaller batches (100 or 150 ounces) so the "losses" won't be as higher as they can be if you refine all your stash in one single time. If the rng is good/acceptable I keep refining small batches only to "control" my losses.

PS - I got more than enough mats to craft whatever I want to craft whenever I feel like it.

PS2 - Blue master writs requiring triune are trash - cost to produce is higher than the benefit.

Edited: PS2 added

I too have 9 toons that are either maxed out, or on the brink, (farming nirnhoned atm, to finish those), I also break down all jewelry I don't want to use. I too, have begun to refine lower amounts, however I do 1k at a time, (I farm a LOT), and, of late, that has helped my RNG, some, but not very much. Still any improvement is welcome.

I also fully agree with Triune being pointless. So is diabellum, imo. While I might do one of those, if my supply is good.

I think maybe Zos is caught between giving out those massive Master writs, and not giving out too many golds/purples, which would make writ vouchers become, basically, worthless. Maybe that's why they seem to have pulled back, in the # of drops we get when doing dailies?

I'm just kind of tired of having to choose between completing a MWV, or saving up to make just one piece of jewelry for myself . As I said in my org. post- atm, I have 6 zircon plates, and 5 Chromium. I'm just finishing up running surveys- so I may end up with..say 10 z's and 6-7 c's plates. When it's 3 and 4 respectively, (not counting green/blue) to make one piece of jewelry? I can only do one or the other.

Maybe there is more gold to be found in running trials? I've only done a couple of those over the years, so I'm unsure. Maybe something I have to look into more. although, I don't know if the traded time ie farming/trials, will be all that different.

Other than being able to help other people, I'm not really seeing any kind of "advantage" to being a "Grand Master Crafter". Other than the achievement. My numbers have not changed. Maybe that is something Zos can look into, as well.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    Grains drop from refining is similar to other materials. For example I have refined 11.5K platinum dust I got from my surveys a couple of days ago and got 58 chromium, 75 zircon grains, 100+ iridium grains. I also get plenty of them from my daily writs, far more than refining, but that's also in line with the other crafts I do. See the discussion here for more details: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/503067/best-way-to-get-jewelry-crafting-platings

11.5k? lol. How many months of Surveys is that? I usually do surveys every 2 months or so- and I may be 3-4k, max. As a Grand Master Crafter (1)- and all of my other toons (5) being maxed out in everything, (3 almost maxed out).

My refining is almost like normal peoples now. However, the first 2 years, I was nowhere close. I've posted before on these nightmares, ie, 1x 1 gold drop, in 4k silk, the other 1 gold, refining 4.5k silk/rubidite/ruby. On jewelry, I've had it as bad as 1-2 gold, in 3k of refining. All of this on my main crafter.

After the change they made to jewelry, I was really stoked, as I actually began to gain extra purple/gold, which allowed me to get some Masterwrits I'd been holding, done. However, as the main topic in my post stated, that seems to have been changed again, at least for myself. The last 4 days, 3 toons, doing all Crafting writs, all maxed out, 1 Grand Master? Resulted in 1 blacksmith survey, 1 wood working survey, and 1 gold grain, and the rest junk, (or "supply items).

In jewelry, I got mostly green grains, singles, and a couple blue singles. That's a far cry from what it was like after the update, and my reason for posting on this. I had one day before that, where I got 2 gold grains, 2 purple, and a jewelry survey. But the 4 days before that? Were almost identical to the 4 first mentioned. Except there was no gold in jewelry.

Anyways, I bookmarked that page you linked, and will def. look into it when I have more time. Thanks for taking your time, to post on this.
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    So refining in small or large batches has no impact on the result

Smaller batches prevent you to refine a huge amount of raw mats to get a low number, or none at all, of gold mats... If I don't get some gold mats from refining a 100/150/200 ounces batch(es), I just stop and call it a day. Tomorrow can and will be a brighter day.

Edited: typos

Yes, I've found this to be the case for myself, as well. It's hard to stop, when you're trying to get something "out of the way", but, in the long run, I'm finding this to be a good solution as well.
  • ShadowWolf44
    ShadowWolf44
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest way is probably to decon jewellery you find in dungeons and trials. Especially when you run on vet, there's plenty purple and 1 - 2 gold. When you run vas 8 times in a row you're basically swimming in it. It's a good incentive to get onto the end game train. At one point I had 42 gold jewellery improvements out of this. (not grains, improvements)

Something I'm going to have to find the time to do, it seems. I've never seen a gold drop, on anything equipment wise. Sounds like that may help out. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQDUjYNQVsIFl0ktkbkSlfYPkzP6pgCOTMQ-qCuzfaI/

Drop rates from writs, refining rates, recorded from 36 max level characters doing max writs for the past year.

All evidence to the contrary has only ever been anecdotal, or "small sample".
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving all the RNG posts. Zos monkeys around with the RNG all the time.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQDUjYNQVsIFl0ktkbkSlfYPkzP6pgCOTMQ-qCuzfaI/

Drop rates from writs, refining rates, recorded from 36 max level characters doing max writs for the past year.

Buuuuut my fefes say different.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on December 12, 2019 5:04AM
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I got to cap criers and stopped reading. How about make your point instead of trying to insult anyone who might actually be bothered to get past your inane ramblings and read your thread.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ShadowWolf44

I do writs on 18 characters, with all crafting skills fully leveled. I pick up surveys every month, but I have a zone rotation that repeats every 6 months, more or less alphabetically. For December it was Wrothgar 1/2/3 & Vvardenfell. One thing I noticed lately is that surveys seem to cluster a lot in certain zones. In Wrothgar I had around 10-15 in each location, but Vvardenfell had 35-45 at each location; for jewelry it was 46 I think, a bit of an outlier. I saw the same glut in Northern Elsweyr before, just 4 months after that DLC release - this was late September - I already had 30-40 surveys at each location, almost triple of what I had in other zones. My theory is that because they are larger zones they count more than the smaller ones, hence the triple yield. Overall Wrothgar was pretty much the same as Vvardenfel because they are about the same size, but Wrothgar has 3 separate locations for each survey, while Vvardenfell only had 1.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I refine about 10k of each mat every 2 weeks, have been doing so for about 3 years and though i have not done the math to your detail I can at least state my experience is very similar to your data.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »

I refine about 10k of each mat every 2 weeks, have been doing so for about 3 years and though i have not done the math to your detail I can at least state my experience is very similar to your data.

I had been doing the same for a long while before I even started this sheet, as I felt there was a need for some hard tracking of data, and to have a large amount of it. What I've collected has pretty much just confirmed what the prevailing opinion had been, but can be used as hard evidence, primarily against the anecdotal evidence or small sample size.

Ironically, I've actually had very poor success with Tempering Alloy drops if we assume the .5% drop rate :neutral: (only a 1% chance of it being that low on random chance alone)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I don't know something is wrong... I do my crafting writs from time to time and I already got so much gold tempers that I improved a lot of crafted PVP jewelry to gold just because I don't know what to do with those tempers and I don't want to sell them.

Completely agree, one gold drop from 200 raw mats refined, it's what I see over long distance too.