The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Failure of ES:Legends raises my eyebrows

• TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And doesn’t ES:L have it’s own forum? 🤔

It does but Bethesda never use it.

But for talking about the game and it’s fallout with other players — I just don’t get why people keep posting about an unrelated game in the ESO forum. Sure, it was based on the same lore, but a card game has nothing to do with an MMORPG. Honestly, what other studies are doing with their MMORPG’s is probably more relevant to most of us.

I only see this one thread so here's a tip: don't read it. You know it will only stress you.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But for talking about the game and it’s fallout with other players — I just don’t get why people keep posting about an unrelated game in the ESO forum. Sure, it was based on the same lore, but a card game has nothing to do with an MMORPG. Honestly, what other studies are doing with their MMORPG’s is probably more relevant to most of us.

I only see this one thread so here's a tip: don't read it. You know it will only stress you.

I’m not stressed by it; I never played ES:L and so am not effected by it’s ending, going into maintenance mode, or whatever. I just wonder why people feel the need to post here about it — were there too few people on the ES:L forum? If so, that may reflect on why the game failed...

There have been at least three threads that I have seen. Do a search if you’re curious; I believe the threads were only closed and not deleted.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    I enjoyed legends, as I tend to prefer a brand I understand (TES)

I think the biggest problem with it was changes to set itself apart made it have a higher skill gap.

there were so many niche and cheesy deck strats that often it was luck, and you could not really focus on one thing you liked.

two lane was complicated especially in PvE (I know right, hard PvE?!) because PvE often had a gimmick lane specific to the encounter, so the first game was always a loss after a point because the encounter was designed around a gimmick deck with a unique field effect that synergized with it. so you just lost and then came back with a counter to the cheese.

(yeah, imagine someone making up a field and not telling you the rules, then picked a perfect deck for it, and then said lets play)

the "runes" system to help players behind just made the game worse, as players would just stack the field to 1HKO you so they did not have to deal with a possible comeback.

so you had one player with with no cards maybe playing one card a turn, and another with two stacked fields smashing anything you set and then just sitting till they had enough damage to 1HKO you.

sure its fun when you do it, but it sucked when it happened back.

and then because its a niche game in the genre, the only people that play it are the ones good at it, so fat chance of new players coming in and retaining them.

really sad to hear its in lights on mode, but I understand why.

100% this.

I remember I played ES:L a lot in 2017, and what made me quit is those cheezy stupid decks which sit in full defense until magicka 15 when those passive cards spawn ton of free leviathans at once. And there is ton of other OP cheeze in that deck...
    So when I made comeback in 2019 and played another ~50 hours, and reaching rank 1 I again met guy with exactly the same cheezy deck (now empowered by Almsivi). Oh my god what a fight it was, I was extremely lucky with my poisoned crossbows and other 1-one shot cards so I was able to kill all his Almalexias, 8/8 vampires and other P2W cheezy crap on spawn.
    Finally when he was within reach of 1HKO from my cards with breakthrough, he spawned his 4 leviathans and placed Vivec on shadow deck, which means invincibility, unless I have something to kill 10/10 Vivec (who is immune to actions + sits in shadow deck)... I got one card left and it was Allena Benoch :D I wanted to see his face when Allena landed, probably one of the few cards who can kill Vivec on summon...
    "I just need a one shot". I won due to extraordinary luck and effort, turned off ESL and didn't launched it since.

P.S. just checked, it seems they nerfed Vivec since, but I'm not sure if it is really a nerf...
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Legends was an attempt at a cash-grab on the then-trendy card game shtick. There was already Magic: The Gathering, Blizzard's own game came and had already saturated the market, then Steam tried and failed to do the same with their own mediocre card game, and ES: Legends came along... Not the smartest move really.

Blades was omegalul. That was just trying to cash in on Elder Scrolls hype for casuals on mobile platforms, but they didn't think it through well enough to make a decent game.

That said, I don't think the success/failure of any of those titles you mentioned will affect ESO however, the devs (and 'micro'-transaction goblins) are already doing a fine job at mangling ESO as it is. If ESO dies, it will be due to overly-monetized gameplay, which we are already seeing evidence of in the cash shop with paid skill-line unlocks, cash-exclusive styles, consumables, meta gear and skills in DLC/chapters with no equivalents in base game, gamble crates and gamble-gem exclusives, lack of mounts and rewards achievable through normal game-play, etc, etc....
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legends was probably just a way for Bethesda to draw some card gamers to the Elder Scrolls brand and make a little money while doing it. I’ll bet once it served its purpose and declined to some set point is when they pulled the plug. Sucks for the fans of ES:L but I’m guessing it has zero bearing on the future of ESO, or any other Bethesda title.
    Edited by Marcus684 on December 9, 2019 7:54PM
  • Maxx7410
    Maxx7410
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should put it in eso? like a mini game inside the game, with npc to play and rewards etc etc
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »
    Maybe they should put it in eso? like a mini game inside the game, with npc to play and rewards etc etc

Some kind of it would be nice... but then again people would feel isolated from the environment. Maybe a house item? :)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »

Noooo, sorry, but that makes no sense. :expressionless: A mini-game of Foxes-and-Felines or Punctilious Conflict or similar could be fun but a CCG shoehorned into ESO would not be at all fitting in my opinion.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 10, 2019 3:32PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know that they did it with Legends of Norrath in EQ2, and even had cards/packs drop in game. That's the only one of these "online CCGs" that I've played.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every large game company will eventually have flops. Don't read so much into it. ESO is successful. FO76 is recovering. ES6 is obviously gonna sell like gangbusters. They are fine.
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Card video games suck anyways.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do play Legends myself, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down (yet) like the others have, given that this is the ESO forum and not a generic ES forum. I play other ES games, too, and I just recently lost my current playthrough of Oblivion due to the well-known bug of being unable to load any saved games without the game freezing up, but it doesn't mean I think it would be okay to start a thread in this forum about Oblivion. We all understand that some people are really upset that there is no further planned development of Legends, but that doesn't mean that plans might not change again, or that we need to start threads about Legends in the ESO forum. Not trying to be a spoil sport here, just saying don't be surprised if (or when) this thread gets shut down like the others did-- and if it does, please don't just go and start yet another one.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fate of ESL is pretty irrelevant to ESO. It was a very different type of game in a very different type of market. Considering ESO player base has been healthy and appearing to grow, ((except for 3 of the pat 4 months) it even seems even more odd to compare the two.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In fairness, ZOS only uses the forum to post patch notes, links to web articles and chastisements to unruly posters/people.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda tried to cash in on their two cash cow franchises...problem is they were so incopetent about it that most projects seem to fail miserably

Possibly. Although ES:L was abit of a pet project for Pete Hines, very possible he also lost interest in it when it failed to make much of a splash.

The PvE was pretty good in ES:L it has to be said and the lane ideas where interesting.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    Bethesda tried to cash in on their two cash cow franchises...problem is they were so incopetent about it that most projects seem to fail miserably

Possibly. Although ES:L was abit of a pet project for Pete Hines, very possible he also lost interest in it when it failed to make much of a splash.

The PvE was pretty good in ES:L it has to be said and the lane ideas where interesting.

Actually Pete Hines was genuinely enthusiastic over ES:L and tried his best to stream and promote the game. He was also very happy of what sparkypants promised... but oh well.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah but people actually play ESO...
    as *** and buggy as it is...
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »

there were so many niche and cheesy deck strats

So... PvP?
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO and Legends are two different animals. ESO has established itself well as an MMO for over 5 years. Legends was out only, what, over a year? ESO won’t go down the same path.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda has been pretty terrible when it comes to games as of late and I say that as someone who’s a fan of theirs. One of my favorite gaming companies but they have been releasing uninspiring content.

Anyways, I don’t think ESO has anything to worry about until zos releases their new game.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm sorry for those to whom this game was a fun addition to their round of gameplay.

Beyond that.... eh, card games (outside of piquet and pinochle - nope, NO interest in bridge) as RPG stuff really didn't ever interest me.

I have an unopened box of AD&D cards from.... the early 80s maybe? I bought two of them, opened one, daughter and I messed with it a bit, then went back to my hand-crafted scenarios....
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »

Actually Pete Hines was genuinely enthusiastic over ES:L and tried his best to stream and promote the game. He was also very happy of what sparkypants promised... but oh well.

Always nice being an armchair developer ... isn’t it?

Great hours. You get to play the game anytime you want.

Most importantly, you get to critique real developers without ever having to do any developer work ...
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Always nice being an armchair developer ... isn’t it?

Great hours. You get to play the game anytime you want.

Most importantly, you get to critique real developers without ever having to do any developer work ...

I usually get annoyed with criticisms of devs by know-nothings but we can still acknowledge that the problems in getting out the updated client and the content delays really hurt the game. It is irrelevant whether the delays were reasonable. Maybe the devs underestimated how long it would take. It is also possible that based on their contract with Dire Wolf, Bethesda had their hand forced and had to start from scratch. There are many possible reasons for the need to redo the client. Fully owning the code could have been an issue, especially if they wanted to pass the same code to another dev for the Asian client. Maybe the new client was needed for purely technical reasons.

I take issue with the previous poster's use of the word "promised." You don't make promises. At best, you have contracts that indicate penalties for violations.
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Blizzard don't read the wow forums, should we post about WoW here too because it is just as likely to get noticed by Blizzard as Bethesda considering ZOS are the ones in charge of ESO.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic for a card game?

How many here are into Magic or Pokémon? Isn't ESL basically a card game like those except digital? Do we really think that because it is tied to TES it would be successful in such a saturated market?

Whatever happened is pretty irrelevant to ESO.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never expected this game to die, not so soon at least. If ESL died, imagine what could (easily) happen to Fallout 76 or even ESO in not so distant future...

I really hope Bethesda/ZOS guys will get back to themselves. In last couple of years it's mostly been failures - from a failure to restrict paying/free mods for Skyrim, failure of Fallout 76, backlash of ES:Blades fans due to pay chests, to closing of ES:Legends... I feel this could affect ESO somehow. Or is affecting as of now. Maybe the budget, staff, whatever. But they don't seem to be the company that just releases great but buggy games with endless budget anymore...

Not to burst your bubble but eso is a great money maker for bethesda, eso is not going away in the near future.
    Esl is so boring af, cant believe people actually played it, I really thought it would be a mini game for a serious tes game.
    LOLS!!!!
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MTG its where it at.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso and a card game are very different
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not stressed by it; I never played ES:L and so am not effected by it’s ending, going into maintenance mode, or whatever. I just wonder why people feel the need to post here about it — were there too few people on the ES:L forum? If so, that may reflect on why the game failed....

if turkeys had access to a thanksgiving forum they'd probably be posting about their findings on the turkey forum.
  • Electricblulion
    I would have liked to have played Legends but I haven't played that many card games and I have no space left on my phone for apps. I got a phone with larger internal space just for apps but it already had half the space filled up before activating it. Including a facebook app that I don't use that can only be deactivated, not uninstalled, but still takes up memory. I thought I might try the game later on when I had time to uninstall something for a while long enough to play it. It would be nice if it stays playable.