The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

bank bag needs enlarged

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is good as it is. Lack of space is simply an L2P problem:
    1) Furnishings can be stored in homes, no need to clog your bank with it; buying some homes is cheaper than what would the next bank slot would cost if it were available, by looking at the price progression.
    2) Stuff you don't need straight away can be stored in housing chests or on characters you don't play often or at all; fully upgrading bag space on a character is ~190K (bag+riding lessons).
    3) Gear which is not BoP and you don't need can be sold on guild stores, and bought later if you need them, most likely cheaper since prices generally decline as novelty wears off.
    4) Most items you get are useless anyway, so deconstruct or sell to NPC if it's not worth doing #3; sometimes style items are worth more than either MM or NPC price.
    5) If you are not a subscriber, just sell the surplus materials on guild stores so they don't clog up your bank or bag, that's what I used for my first 2 years.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each time ZOS adds a new dropped set they should add more bank space to hold it. I am starting to dread new sets. Is that what you want ZOS?
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should not be that much of a server load. The database that keeps track of character inventories doesnt need to keep track of actual items, only a laundry list of item IDs. Maybe a few hundred KB of data per account. A few MB for real hoarders.

The point here being that it should not be that much of a load. Also, the activity finder should not be a heavy load on the server. A simple queue for grouping should not even have to use a database at all, let alone overload it with queries to the point of complete system breakdown. A guild store query, using a simple selection query to get a simple list out of a single database table designed for that specific purpose, should not amount to any significant load on the database backend. Single transactions in a guild bank should not stall for ten seconds or more during prime time due to traffic congestion. The reality, of course, is quite different.

There is an obvious inadequacy of pretty much every part of the game which depends on the database backend, and their inability to set it right, despite repeated efforts, seems to point to more fundamental, architectural problems with the server.

I would not have much of a problem even if they said it would make them less money if they added separate storage for furnishing items. They are in this for business reasons. Now, when they say it would place additional load on the database backend, I do not want them to even start thinking of implementing it. I certainly don't want any more, possibly catastrophic, load on an essential and already stressed-out part of the system just to reduce a minor inconvenience.
  • AZRainman
    AZRainman
    ✭✭✭
    In the old days, we used to make extra characters merely for storing goods. Glad I don't need to do that anymore :smiley:
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Not so much. That you think my comment is about housing's shows you did not read or understand what I said. In fact it was you that mentioned housing.

I mentioned Zos' response to a furnishing bag which is storage very similar to bank inventory.I merely mentioned what Zos said about a furnishing bag and how that impacted server load as that is relevant. So please go back and read my posts more carefully and understand it is not about housing as I never mentioned that, it is about inventory storage and the impact on server performance which is already poor.

Again I repeat that housing was an entirely ground-up new build for them. It doesn't matter how totally FUBARed their inventory system was if the icon on your GUI doesn't link to that snake pit of garbage. They linked it to the snake pit. That is bad design choices. Very bad. It's one of the first times I can categorically say they did something in the absolute cheapest way possible.

Furnishing bags did not exist without housing. So, of course, I'm going to refer to them as "housing" when talking about the entirely new element they built from the ground up. If they can't figure out how to disassociate their storage for a brand new element then their base game is a nightmare or someone made very bad choices.

My point was they are screwing their inventory system by doubling down on it even when they are making new content.
    You don't extinguish a fire with gasoline. I understand you might have meant a more broad statement but I can forgive the base games issues. The base game is 5 years old. It can be cranky and broken. I cannot forgive a new element issue.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Lack of space is simply an L2P problem:

^ This person clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh. They should increase the bank space cap by 10+ for every owned chapter / story dlc. That way if you don't have those, you technically don't need extra space for crafting / motive mats. But If you own those, you are left with no room to keep those new crafting / motive mats...

Also it will still be a huge gold sink (win for ZOS, because we will have to grind that gold) and also win for ESO+ as they will got double bank space.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You can make words mean everything if you cut the context. There was further explanation contained in that post. I've been playing this game for 4 years, but had no storage problem because I always planned in advance, using the solutions I enumerated there. Efficient inventory management, making gold, planning a build is also game knowledge, just like rotation, keeping up buffs, playing dungeon mechanics etc.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    The craft bag is the only thing keeping many people subscribed, and ZoS won't risk that steady revenue. It's a business decision, not a technical limitation.

They could add 10 bank slots (20 for ESO+) to the max with each chapter without making the crafting bag less attractive. It would also encourage chapter sales.

Yes, and this would also have the virtue of the maxed-out bank space no longer being such a weird number. Why 480? It just irritates me every time I see it... 500 would make much more sense.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a server load issue.

Zos has not spoken to basic bag or bank inventory specifically but they did mention why they will not be adding a furnishing bag. It is server load and adding that or inventory adds much more of a load than the crafting bag due to the huge number of items compared to the limited crafting matts.

This is probably why they added small chests as their last addition to our storage capability. They access significantly less information due to their limited size.

Are you sure they weren't talking about actual items in a house? It is a really weak argument otherwise since secondary storage doesn't have to be "instant" like opening up your inventory. There is almost no reason design-wise for the slow storage of massed goods to not be a thing since we quite bluntly do it in every single other industry.

Though that said if someone really screwed the pooch with the design I could easily see storage being a huge headache.

It should not be that much of a server load. The database that keeps track of character inventories doesnt need to keep track of actual items, only a laundry list of item IDs. Maybe a few hundred KB of data per account. A few MB for real hoarders.

You left out additional fields, like stack size and gear condition. Do they have a different item id for each enchantment and trait combination, or are those additional values stored with the message ID? I'm sure addon writers can answer this. Regardless of the answer, the database records are wider than a single item id. And are all our items in a share database table? Add the account id to that record.

How many indexes are on the tables?

How does the UI perform if you can pull every kind of furniture item into memory at once by opening your furniture bag?

When people talk like the server load won't be a big deal, I wonder how much they have dealt with large tables. I always hate when I have to do an analysis involving hundreds of millions or more records. It is horrible. Run the wrong query and you might be waiting hours before you realize you need to run it again with edits.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inventory/bank space only becomes a problem if you try to hoarder everything imo.

I've had this problem/issue before: you think "this set seems interesting, I might try it at some point on my X or my Y build" but it never happens - I've done this several times.

My advise, from my experience: you need to be pragmatic and realistic - sell or deconstruct those items you will never use on your char(s).
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    Imryll wrote: »
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    The craft bag is the only thing keeping many people subscribed, and ZoS won't risk that steady revenue. It's a business decision, not a technical limitation.

They could add 10 bank slots (20 for ESO+) to the max with each chapter without making the crafting bag less attractive. It would also encourage chapter sales.

Yes, and this would also have the virtue of the maxed-out bank space no longer being such a weird number. Why 480? It just irritates me every time I see it... 500 would make much more sense.

It's not 480, it's 240. I don't know why you keep saying 480!

Bank space is 240. Doubled with ESO+. So you are paying for bank space, and they are giving it to you.

I like the idea of each expansion (or at least each chapter) but basically this is power creep in the realm of inventory space.

For as furniture, yes, I use my current villa as a warehouse, but if I was really into housing, then ESO+ is a must have, cause the doubled housing space is really a must have.

As a hoarder by nature, I had to really come to terms with my wife who decided we were going to give up ESO+.
    We did what @Asardes suggested, which was we examined closely what we really needed (as we play all 3 roles). Then deconned all that was better than selling. Now we sell most thing, and keep our toons lean.

We stopped crafting, doing daily writs, and doing housing.

When they do offer the house I really really want, I will buy it, buy eso+ one month, and fill the house.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inventory/bank space only becomes a problem if you try to hoarder everything imo.

I've had this problem/issue before: you think "this set seems interesting, I might try it at some point on my X or my Y build" but it never happens - I've done this several times.

My advise, from my experience: you need to be pragmatic and realistic - sell or deconstruct those items you will never use on your char(s).

I have a different situation. 11 of the characters are max level and only 3 or 4 are geared. I have a ton of gear I need to put on them because I want to try some vet dungeons at least with different class/role combos. So gear is clogging up inventory until I sort that out. For the longest time only 2 of the max levels, my main tank and healer, were geared. And tanks in general need to be ready with alternate sets.

I recently purged quite a lot of useless gear. One thing I never want to do is spend a day grinding a dungeon for gear. But inventory management can get to the point where I just don't want to play. This can get really bad during events when recipes and motifs are also dropping like crazy.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

I have a different situation. 11 of the characters are max level and only 3 or 4 are geared. I have a ton of gear I need to put on them because I want to try some vet dungeons at least with different class/role combos. So gear is clogging up inventory until I sort that out. For the longest time only 2 of the max levels, my main tank and healer, were geared. And tanks in general need to be ready with alternate sets.

I recently purged quite a lot of useless gear. One thing I never want to do is spend a day grinding a dungeon for gear. But inventory management can get to the point where I just don't want to play. This can get really bad during events when recipes and motifs are also dropping like crazy.

@DaveMoeDee I have 8 chars all geared up (PvE n PvP sets). My bank space just serves has an intermediary point to move items from one char to another since I don't always farm gear with the same char.
    Atm most of my bank space is filled with motif pages/furnishings I intent to sell, master writs I intent to do and survey reports I need to pick up at some point.

I also have all the storage boxes in a similar situation - but those require me to travel home so, I just put there stuff I will use but not in a very near future.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

@DaveMoeDee I have 8 chars all geared up (PvE n PvP sets). My bank space just serves has an intermediary point to move items from one char to another since I don't always farm gear with the same char.
    Atm most of my bank space is filled with motif pages/furnishings I intent to sell, master writs I intent to do and survey reports I need to pick up at some point.

I also have all the storage boxes in a similar situation - but those require me to travel home so, I just put there stuff I will use but not in a very near future.

It is definitely easier when you know what you want to put on characters and put it on them, as worn gear doesn't waste bank slots. I have mostly naked characters since they mostly shared the same lvl 18 tanking sets to level to 50 by running daily dungeons. An if I'm using a set, I want spare pieces for slots I'm not using for flexibility if I swap out the other set.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Even with ESO+ I can honestly say:

Set management in ESO sucks even with ESO Plus
    It just sucks too much time having to use toons and chests for set storage.
    It also sucks having to deconstruct sets when you run out of storage.
    We need more bank space and additionally to the crafting bag also a set bag in ESO+
    to save players from the set storage/micromanagement chores.

Edited by BalticBlues on December 9, 2019 4:36PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sets do indeed have a problem: how they are named, or rather how set pieces are named. For example we have set names and piece names that are different ex. Vicious Serpent/Vicious Ophidian or Infallible Aether/Infallible Mage. Also half the sets are named like [piece] of [set], the other half are named [set] [piece]. It's really infuriating searching for disparate pieces from the first category because if you order them alphabetically they will be all over the place. ZOS should make naming uniform, preferably with the format [set] [piece]
    Edited by Asardes on December 9, 2019 5:01PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can make words mean everything if you cut the context. There was further explanation contained in that post. I've been playing this game for 4 years, but had no storage problem because I always planned in advance, using the solutions I enumerated there. Efficient inventory management, making gold, planning a build is also game knowledge, just like rotation, keeping up buffs, playing dungeon mechanics etc.

Of course you provided YOUR context, but your premise ignores entirely the reality of ESO gaming for a lot of people. Great, YOU are not a hoarder so dont experience inventory issues.

However many people are hoarders, many people like to have multiple sets for their multiple characters, including multiple sets for changed roles for those characters - stam, mag, tank, dps, healz, RP, themed builds etc. Never mind the other types of loot, treasure, furnishings, motifs, resources etc. A huge area of ESO gameplay involves grinding and farming for loot and gear, much of which people cannot keep without tedious efforts to manage inventory space etc. Many people already have ESO+, maxed out inventory and banking space and maxed out purchasable boxes, etc and we STILL struggle for inventory space... despite having over 4 years experience and being acutely aware of and making use of all the tools available to manage this. This has precisely nothing to do with "learning to play", hence my response.

A classic case of, "well I dont have an issue, so no one else should". "I play this way, so everyone else should". etc.
    Edited by Grianasteri on December 9, 2019 4:59PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Of course you provided YOUR context, but your premise ignores entirely the reality of ESO gaming for a lot of people. Great, YOU are not a hoarder so dont experience inventory issues.

However many people are hoarders, many people like to have multiple sets for their multiple characters, including multiple sets for changed roles for those characters - stam, mag, tank, dps, healz, RP, themed builds etc. Never mind the other types of loot, treasure, furnishings, motifs, resources etc. A huge area of ESO gameplay involves grinding and farming for loot and gear, much of which people cannot keep without tedious efforts to manage inventory space etc. Many people already have ESO+, maxed out inventory and banking space and maxed out purchasable boxes, etc and we STILL struggle for inventory space... despite having over 4 years experience and being acutely aware of and making use of all the tools available to manage this. This has precisely nothing to do with "learning to play", hence my response.

A classic case of, "well I dont have an issue, so no one else should". "I play this way, so everyone else should". etc.

I have 10 active characters each with 3-4 sets of gear at least (up to 10 on some), working on the 11th, will activate the 12th next year. I have 6 more I use as storage 185/205 and to boost crafting writs, hundreds of master writs stored in coffers (I craft them in bulk at certain times because it's more efficient), a house full o furnishings and also about 300 items in bank, mostly stuff I plan on selling later, namely motif pages (some have not bounced back from various events glut), gold jewelry from the Cyrodiil vendor that is only worth selling 6-9 months after it has last been stocked as well as various seasonal recipes/furnishings that have a similar price cycle (ex. Dubious Camoran Throne sold in February for 130K).

I sell constantly on my guilds, check my storage characters from time to time to see if they sets that are useless or have duplicate pieces. There are sets I don't use and will never use because something better has been introduced in the mean time, or they have been changed into something utterly useless (ex. Sunderflame, Veiled Heritance). So I do store a lot of stuff, but with a purpose, and I don't exaggerate. I never regretted deconstructing anything, except maybe some weapons I would have kept, had I known trait change would be a thing.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I have an idea I hope next unlock challenge to a hundred we should unlock 200 bank space. :|
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I have my own personal guild bank with dead friends that have quit playing three years ago. 500 free extra spaces all for myself. I mostly put my tears in there from crying how bad this game is now. Tons of alchemy mats.
    Edited by Kalante on December 9, 2019 5:36PM
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eso+ mats are not unlimited, if so i've been ripped off.

Yes, they are. They go into your craft bag and there is no cap to how much you can put in there.

Also, I agree with OP. I PvP and PvE, and I perform all 3 roles in PvE, plus I'm a housing nut and a Master Crafter (yes, I know. I need to go outside more often). My inventory has very little in the way of extraneous items in it, and is full of mostly sets that I need to interchange between all of my various characters depending on content and role. It's a constant struggle to keep it within a manageable level, and I am constantly making sure to purge non-essential items, but I'm still always running short of space. My chests in my home are full, and my main characters' inventories are always at a state of near constant max capacity. I actually buy smaller homes throughout the game for gold to be able to have places to store my unused furnishings so that my bank isn't inundated by it.

The extra space isn't 'necessary' per se, but it would go a long way toward making up for the fact that this game runs like a runny turd the majority of the time.
    Edited by p00tx on December 9, 2019 5:49PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    When Zos doubled our bank storage us hoarders filled it up again.

Yes, that is because they keep adding new content.

No, because hoarders keep saving all sorts of stuff there's no need to save. Just because they added, for ex, four new sets in an expansion? You don't need to gather & store all four of them. Or the twenty previous ones. Or multiple copies of all the new style pages for if you ever make several new crafters. Etc, etc, etc.

Fischblut wrote: »
    I think it's much less of a problem if somebody plays only 1 character, or only one role... Few PvP sets, few PvE sets, and it's enough.

Wait, "one character, or one role" - how does that equate to "a few" PvP & PvE sets? Now I see why people are running out of space. Yeesh.
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most valuable resource to your hardcore players is inventory space. This always seems to be left to the side or just not even thought about whe making decisions with new content. There should have never been 200 individual survey locations added into the game. The perfected and non perfected sets of each new trial is such a bad idea as well. Those set pieces arnt even that much different and they dont work together either. Just so much unessisary stuff that keeps getting put into the game to clog inventory.
    Edited by Inklings on December 9, 2019 5:58PM
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Just because they added, for ex, four new sets in an expansion?”

Then why add the new sets in the first place? You do see the insanity of that reasoning? If the sets aren’t worth collecting then they shouldn’t exist at all.

The bottom line is that ZOS shouldn’t be adding new items with each dlc / expansion without giving us space to store them. Pretty simple concept to understand.

Inventory management is hellishly boring. No one likes it. Then why are we doing it, and consider it “entertainment”? There’s no good reason for the game to suffer so much.
    Edited by Thrasher91604 on December 9, 2019 6:50PM
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the sets aren’t worth collecting then they shouldn’t exist at all

Laughs in Sithis touch.

A lot of in this thread would benefit from this- https://clutterersanonymous.org/
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because they come out with a lot of new sets, doesnt mean you have to collect all of them. Usually the overland sets are filler and not worth collecting but you can sometimes get a decent one that will work ok for most questing and normal stuff. The dungeon and trial sets are hit or miss but have a better chance at being worth it.

The only Elsweyr sets worth collecting are all from Sunspire if you're into vet trials and dungeons: False God for mag, Yolnahkriin for tanks and Lokkestiiz for stam.
    Edited by Katahdin on December 9, 2019 7:41PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said, the insanity of releasing sets that aren’t worth collecting is part of the problem. It’s a total thoughtless mess to do that.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so much. That you think my comment is about housing's shows you did not read or understand what I said. In fact it was you that mentioned housing.

I mentioned Zos' response to a furnishing bag which is storage very similar to bank inventory.I merely mentioned what Zos said about a furnishing bag and how that impacted server load as that is relevant. So please go back and read my posts more carefully and understand it is not about housing as I never mentioned that, it is about inventory storage and the impact on server performance which is already poor.

Again I repeat that housing was an entirely ground-up new build for them. It doesn't matter how totally FUBARed their inventory system was if the icon on your GUI doesn't link to that snake pit of garbage. They linked it to the snake pit. That is bad design choices. Very bad. It's one of the first times I can categorically say they did something in the absolute cheapest way possible.

Furnishing bags did not exist without housing. So, of course, I'm going to refer to them as "housing" when talking about the entirely new element they built from the ground up. If they can't figure out how to disassociate their storage for a brand new element then their base game is a nightmare or someone made very bad choices.

My point was they are screwing their inventory system by doubling down on it even when they are making new content.
    You don't extinguish a fire with gasoline. I understand you might have meant a more broad statement but I can forgive the base games issues. The base game is 5 years old. It can be cranky and broken. I cannot forgive a new element issue.

Have no idea what you are trying to say here, especially since you are still focused on housing.

I have explained it as well as I can in layman's terms. If you cannot forgive whatever this new element issue is then maybe a different game is in order.
  • Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a server load issue.

Zos has not spoken to basic bag or bank inventory specifically but they did mention why they will not be adding a furnishing bag. It is server load and adding that or inventory adds much more of a load than the crafting bag due to the huge number of items compared to the limited crafting matts.

This is probably why they added small chests as their last addition to our storage capability. They access significantly less information due to their limited size.

Are you sure they weren't talking about actual items in a house? It is a really weak argument otherwise since secondary storage doesn't have to be "instant" like opening up your inventory. There is almost no reason design-wise for the slow storage of massed goods to not be a thing since we quite bluntly do it in every single other industry.

Though that said if someone really screwed the pooch with the design I could easily see storage being a huge headache.

Positive. They were specifically speaking to a furniture bag and explained the difference between that and the crafting bag. Essentially 500000 of one item requires a lot less server work to pull up than 1 of 10 items with how a db works. Just look at how long a query takes to bring up a small handful of items at a popular guild trader.

Also, it is still server the same server load if it is portioned out over a 10-20 seconds or it displays in just a few since the server is responding to a great many inventory requests at the same time. So that is one very good reason why "design-wise" the added storage, even slowed down, would be a thing. Additionally complain about slow responses

Being that we know there is in FACT a server load issue we have been experiencing in ESO and that Zos has begun a process to reduce that load there is a very logical and strong argument. Yes, I know a hard reality is not convenient your argument.

BTW, many of us that hoard, and yes I am one, realized that after the crafting bag emptied out so much of our inventory we just filled it up. When Zos doubled our bank storage us hoarders filled it up again. So to suggest we need more space because we have run out of room in our inventory is a pretty weak argument. For most of us we fill it with stuff we have never used and probably never will. Decon is our friend.

WTF you talking about, they keep adding sets and items/furniture every patch, its been hundreds of things added, they ARE FORCING ESO+ witht that.

We loved ESO+ and the freedom it gave at the moment because people were spending hundreds of combined hours, login in/out of "mules", the bank was impossible to manage, and the chests are a LAZY SOLUTION because you cant check with banker what you have, you have to go to a house to check 1 by 1 where you left X item

And no, being forced to decon a piece you want just because you need the space?, I hadt to run around 30 times Scalecaller Peak at the moment to get a damn necklace of Jorvuld?

And that was considering I did those dungeonruns with friends who were gonna give me the piece. Same for a friend who was looking a lighting staff of the same set and WE never got it.

Is people like you defending the horrendous behavior of ZOS regarding storage that they will never take another step to alleviate the burden of Inventory Management Online aka ESO