The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cross-platform needs to happen (for console)..

Gromzok
Gromzok
✭✭
I am playing on Xbox EU server and its kinda empty compared to PC server. Xbox was never really popular in EU outside of UK so being able to play with PS4 players would help a lot. And merging servers would be a bad idea cause its lagy as it is if i was forced to play on US server i would just rather quit...
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst idea Zos could ever implement. You think the servers are bad now, and then people want cross-play. :|
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think the performance of the game and servers would be more important.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Console-only cross play would at least avoid the question of add-ons. On the other hand, you still have the question of character and account names, among others.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to see true cross-play eventually. Unlikely, but I can dream. At the very least I hope we get another platform transfer next gen, as I’d love to port my main to ps5 and drop the pc version.
    forever stuck in combat
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least give people the ability to transfer to PC, given the abysmal performance and state of the PS4 version.
  • Gromzok
    Gromzok
    ✭✭
    The worst idea Zos could ever implement. You think the servers are bad now, and then people want cross-play. :|

Well some modes are completely dead on Xbox EU for example Cyrodill.
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cross platform will become available end of next year i think... between ps4 and ps5 when it comes out?
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »
    Cross platform will become available end of next year i think... between ps4 and ps5 when it comes out?

Source?
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't think they would bother, with the next gen consoles not too far away, at most I would expect the current and next gen consoles to make use of the existing servers, so players can keep their account data when they get around to getting the newer consoles.
  • Gromzok
    Gromzok
    ✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »

Source?

Thats not cross platform its same ecosystem..
  • Gromzok
    Gromzok
    ✭✭
    At the very least they ought to make dungeon finder, BGs and Cyrodill cross platform that would help a lot.
    Edited by Gromzok on December 8, 2019 5:23AM
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont see any reason why not, worked well in several other games before, and before anyone says " oh but controllers cant compete ", I use xb1 elite controller exclusively on pc, and have killed many of players using kb and mouse, just need the right setup. 78749608_1212556695799812_4323341469160046592_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=KPV7k0L-wvoAQlQUa9DbnbtKcQMQYfmIE7aiZMZ3KetQc0H5xkQ59_Szw&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=37f2317077ba658fba23c38a9f52eb34&oe=5E71227A&oe=5E71227A

• pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I would prefer a server merge, NA & EU on the one server, but only if Zos invests in better servers and puts more effort into performance fixes
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer a server merge, NA & EU on the one server, but only if Zos invests in better servers and puts more effort into performance fixes

No. And I cannot emphasise that enough. When the game first came out the eu servers were in the US and the latency was awful. I would uninstall faster than you could blink if I had to play on US servers.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »

Sure. And which population get's the shaft? I don't think the duped ones would like that very much.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Populations on console will increase when ZOS fixes the game-breaking performance issues that are driving people away from ESO on XB1 and PS4. Cross play would not help, and would probably actually make overall populations worse.
    Edited by Aurielle on December 8, 2019 2:01PM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At least give people the ability to transfer to PC, given the abysmal performance and state of the PS4 version.

I think everyone should be given one free transfer per account to the server/platform of their choice and after that you can transfer to another server/platform for a fee. I know other games that do it for anywhere between $10 and $40 and quite a few people take advantage of various transfers available. Sometimes you dont want to commit to a server/platform like its a marriage.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

PS5 will be able to run all PS4 physical games: that's called retro compatibility, not cross play.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox is dead outside US imo.

Cross play with issues in memory management as it happens? Please no!

And as mentioned above, I think you didn't consider all the consequences of implementing this.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xbox is dead outside US imo.

Cross play with issues in memory management as it happens? Please no!

And as mentioned above, I think you didn't consider all the consequences of implementing this.

If the performance fixes actually do what is promised i see no reason not to make cross play EU - Pc - xb - ps , and NA PC - xb- ps a thing.
    Edited by TheFM on December 8, 2019 2:50PM
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Not gonna happen , firstly the servers will melt after one hour, secondly ESO code doesn't allow you to even transfer console account to pc account.
    Maybe if ESO 2 ever happens it will be possible , thankfully I switched to Pc shortly after starting playing.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KageNin wrote: »
    Not gonna happen , firstly the servers will melt after one hour, secondly ESO code doesn't allow you to even transfer console account to pc account.
    Maybe if ESO 2 ever happens it will be possible , thankfully I switched to Pc shortly after starting playing.

Between servers ( and platforms) it would be a manual transfer. A tech would look at your inventory and duplicate it on the server you want to go to and then delete it on the server you are coming from. I dont know of any game that offers transfers of characters or accounts that it happens automatically. It all has to be done by a person. That is why they charge a fee for it and put quite a few restrictions on what you can bring. Sometimes its currency sometimes they let you bring what you can fit in your inventory
  • Dirtybyrd
    Dirtybyrd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping this will happen as well than I can play with my kidos! It will be awesome for everyone
    Dirtybyrd
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do understand that cross platform also involves getting Sony and Microsoft on the same page, making sure everyone gets paid, etc. I'd argue that the administrative overhead and effort is actually harder to overcome than the technological hurdles.

Transfering between platforms and working out compensation for purchases being moved from one to another is a nightmare, though just allowing everyone PS4/XB1/PC in the same sandbox is a pretty big tech hurdle as well. Not likely to see this at this point in the life cycle of the game...might see it in whatever replaces it.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They just need to let console players transfer to PC. Neither thing will happen though because zos doesnt give a damn about console. They dont play on console, they dont come to console, and most console players dont use the forums. So we are second class citizens in this game and those of us with the ability to play on PC will never even get the chance to take our account with us if we decide to go to PC. So your choices are to quit, start from scratch, or play in the dumpster fire that is eso on console.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a shame...they should look into it but probably cant do it...in this day and age, every new mmo should be cross play
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Those will be the same platform. No different than moving from PC to Mac. Different client, but same backend.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think everyone should be given one free transfer per account to the server/platform of their choice and after that you can transfer to another server/platform for a fee. I know other games that do it for anywhere between $10 and $40 and quite a few people take advantage of various transfers available. Sometimes you dont want to commit to a server/platform like its a marriage.

What are the servers that you are talking about in the other games? Why do they have separate servers in the first place? Are the accounts localized to the server like in ESO, or do they exist at a higher level, such that a server move doesn't require creating a new account and deleting an old one?
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no point for console player to play with PC. It would be an unfair fight accross all activities. Add-ons have a huge impact on PC, from hand-holding in trials to pvp improvements.

Console gamers can do everything PC people do except for Godslayer because you need time-saving addons like quick gear and abilities switch. We also have a much worse performance in trials (talking about fps drops, lags, invisible adds and so on....).

While we can do tick tocks, immortal redeemers and gryphon hearts, our times are considerably worse because of poorly optimised game, lack of time-savers and addons that tell you the mechanics.

Not that cross-platform is ever going to happen.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do understand that cross platform also involves getting Sony and Microsoft on the same page, making sure everyone gets paid, etc. I'd argue that the administrative overhead and effort is actually harder to overcome than the technological hurdles.

Nope, cross-play is already a thing on consoles. It's ZoS and ZoS alone that's preventing it.
    Edited by Ohtimbar on December 9, 2019 10:40AM
    forever stuck in combat