The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Elemental Succession Build & off meta thoughts

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
First of the gear farming

Ok, you don’t want to know how many times I’ve ran Maelstrom and I finally have one and only one Elemental Succession Inferno stave. Trust me, it’s Far beyond any grind for farming virtually any other weapon set.

I’m very fortunate. But I got one!

The Original Intent

I had envisioned using this on my magic Frost warden for some time. But then I realized the vast majority of his skills are just plain magic damage. I may revisit the War Maiden set for that character later. I have actually been using Scathing Mage Ice Stave and Jewelry.

The “Lightbulb” Moment

Then along comes magic necromancer.

This set will buff nearly every skill this guy has got. Boneyard and colossus are ice damage. Skulls, Blastbones is Fire. The skeletal Mage, and mystic siphon is shock damage. Wall of elements can be whatever the heck you want, and you’ll still be covered.

This set looks like it was truly designed to maximize the magic necromancer.

What Other Sets Do You Wear?

I’m currently pairing it with Perfected False Gods (That I’m also fortunate to have acquired) and it’s working very well. BTW, I would totally use regular false gods if I didn't have perfected and it would probably be about the same. I’ve no idea what you’d want to wear if false gods wasn’t an option. It has quickly become my favorite go to set for magic characters just like Vicious Ophidian is for Stamina characters. Very hard to find a suitable replacement.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... sounds good, I'd even want to try it... how is dps in comparison to PFG+MS? What race and food?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not just Suck it Up and go META FOTM

Mother Sorrow? doesn’t make good sense to me on magic necromancer because it seems so wasted. At execute time, I get an extra %40 Crit for slotting skills puts me at nearly %100 Crit. I’d be way over that with MS.

Siroria? Well. I could...I guess? I haven’t had very good luck with this set. It does not do well if you have to move around a lot. Or aren’t quite skilled enough to get back in the circle and gawd help you if you need to see what you’re aiming at. There’s blinding light everywhere. And lastly, you got to be a light attack king to keep this thing going.

Spell Strat? Could work. Uhm, I have it and used it before. It gives excellent single target damage. But it didn't seem to really pop like I wanted it to. Like it looked like it should.

What About That New Crafted Set

New Moons Acolyte. I’m thinking about it. I tried it on my Sorc and it’s alright. I like keeping my characters balanced with sustain, damage and defense setups. I think sustain would be a big big problem with NMA. It does make you look like a powerhouse with the stats, I have to admit.

What are people theory crafting nowadays?

I’ve no idea. META chasers rule. Everything else is just less. The best Theory crafted thing I’ve seen in awhile is a healer using Gossamer, Jorvalds, monster. She explains the way those sets and a blood alter synergize so well It was magical.

There’s something to do with Healers wearing Martial Knowledge....I think it’s a complete waste of time for most every healer I know. It would require some convoluted rotation that maybe only an Andy.S type person could actually perform.

For Damage Dealers, there’s just a couple few options and how much you’re willing to sacrifice for more damage.

Crit is King! But then there’s other things that just get brushed under the carpet. Like surviving the fights! Making it to execute!
    Fights in phases, where it doesn’t matter how hard you slap that dummy around, you have to deal with phases.

Relequen and Locktight for the win. But that combo blows pretty hard for pretty much any pug I’ve ever been in. Relequen is near impossible to keep stacks up and Locktight does nothing if you get no flipping synergies.

So why bother?

Can’t deny the power in meta. It’s sadly just too strong. But your other options are completely viable, and keep me interested in playing. Keep it fun. Find something that works for you!
    Edited by kylewwefan on December 5, 2019 6:03PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanna run 5 Succession on the body with Moondancer front bar and Zaan or Grothdarr on my Mag Necro. Seems like a fun combo. This class has all 3 types of damage so all will get buffed. Succession has 4s proc so if it's only on front bar it will drop off sometimes but I can activate my Boneyard synergy when I swap to front bar for Moondancer since it's a 30s buff.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The funny thing is that Elemental Succession is considered meta for Magicka Necromancer for some boss fights. Nahviintaas HM is a great example of this, where both single target and AoE DPS is important. Siroria is difficult to use effectively in that fight so many choose False Gods. FG works best as a body set so they need a front bar set. Spell Strat is terrible for AoE, BSW is ok but not great, MS is too much crit for Necro, but ES checks every box perfectly. It’s also best to use Precise for that fight, since it’s better than Nirnhoned, and Infused would be low AoE damage. So with FG + ES + Ilambris or Grothdarr, Spell Crit is 59.6% pre-execute and 99.6% in execute with 4 grave lord abilities front bar. Can’t get much better than that. I think it’s just not widely used since the staff is so hard to obtain. Congrats on finding one!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm... sounds good, I'd even want to try it... how is dps in comparison to PFG+MS? What race and food?

I’ve not much idea. Me and my craptastic self still hits around 52k and that would be about the same for me. Probably much different for other players.

I play a Breton, using the Arteum Pickled food and have no sustain issues. You’d probably be fine and dandy with a high elf or dark elf, Khajit or lizard.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So here I am trying not to be meta and stumble into it anyways. Now, I want to try it with moondancer!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For Warden I use Master Architect front bar with MS jewelry + 2 armor and Valkyn Skoria or Zaan monster set. Bear is only 75 ultimate so I get decent Major Slayer up time. I can cast it every 2nd rotation and also buff other players.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    So here I am trying not to be meta and stumble into it anyways. Now, I want to try it with moondancer!

Yeah, honestly Moondancer isn’t terrible as a damage + sustain set if you have enough synergies to keep 100% uptime on the buff. The average 224 Magicka Recovery is about the same as the 8% Cost Reduction from False Gods, although FG pulls ahead pretty quickly if there are any adds dying for the bursts of Magicka. For straight damage potential I’d say Moondancer falls right between Perfected FG and normal FG, and it’s very similar to Burning Spellweave since the Minor Slayer is a pretty strong 3pc bonus. Moondancer also works better as a front bar set, since the long duration buffs remain even if the 5pc bonus is lost momentarily. allowing use of a vMA staff and keeping something like 5 Mother’s Sorrow active on both bars. I don’t think there’s actually any situation where MD could be called meta, but it’s not far off and an easy stepping stone to getting sets like Perf Siroria and False Gods. The biggest downside to it is the RNG, it can be annoying to get Recovery procs when you are full Magicka, or Spell Damage when you’re so out of resources you can even cast skills.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use destruction mastery as the off set on my magro, easy to get gold jewelry for and fits the theme of the build, with illambris.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on December 6, 2019 1:25AM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ok, you don’t want to know how many times I’ve ran Maelstrom and I finally have one and only one Elemental Succession Inferno stave. Trust me, it’s Far beyond any grind for farming virtually any other weapon set.

The Original Intent

I had envisioned using this on my magic Frost warden for some time. But then I realized the vast majority of his skills are just plain magic damage. I may revisit the War Maiden set for that character later. I have actually been using Scathing Mage Ice Stave and Jewelry.

The “Lightbulb” Moment

This set will buff nearly every skill this guy has got. Boneyard and colossus are ice damage. Skulls, Blastbones is Fire. The skeletal Mage, and mystic siphon is shock damage. Wall of elements can be whatever the heck you want, and you’ll still be covered.

I’m currently pairing it with Perfected False Gods (That I’m also fortunate to have acquired) and it’s working very well. BTW, I would totally use regular false gods if I didn't have perfected and it would probably be about the same. I’ve no idea what you’d want to wear if false gods wasn’t an option. It has quickly become my favorite go to set for magic characters just like Vicious Ophidian is for Stamina characters. Very hard to find a suitable replacement.

A pal of mine tried it on his magnecro. Apparently it’s bugged or something because all of his skills won’t proc it.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for false god. You need some crit bonuses from somewhere, even on a mag necro. False god is the best option for those crit bonuses that also gives you minor slayer.

You could maybe build around siroria but it will be a careful balance of crit inside/outside of execute. Not so sure about New Moon Acolyte on a necro. I think you'll run over penetration cap.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Original Intent

The “Lightbulb” Moment

A pal of mine tried it on his magnecro. Apparently it’s bugged or something because all of his skills won’t proc it.

Pets don't proc sets, outside of necropotance, meaning that the skeletal arcanist and blastbones won't proc the set. Those pets don't proc illambris either but illambris does proc elemental succession. It is a weird system. The warden bear doesn't proc sets either.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on December 6, 2019 3:24AM
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    Currently i'm playing FG + Elemental Succesion + Perfect AS Staff on my Necro.
    You get Like around 95% Uptime on all 3 Elements and it works pretty well.
    With Force Pulse as Spammable + boneyard + Blockade + Siphon + Blastbones (+mystic orb, but it doesn't get buffed from Elemental Succesion) u have pretty good AoE and St Damage all the time.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

The Original Intent

The “Lightbulb” Moment

Pets don't proc sets, outside of necropotance, meaning that the skeletal arcanist and blastbones won't proc the set. Those pets don't proc illambris either but illambris does proc elemental succession. It is a weird system. The warden bear doesn't proc sets either.

Going a bit off topic but I found this disappointing when testing scathing mage on a necro. Blast bones can’t proc it. Not sure if the arcanist counts as direct damage but that won’t proc it either. Generally I found up times on a necro to be even worse than on other classes. So back on topic I wouldn’t recommend scathing mage.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I use scathing Mage, there’s a small sacrifice that has to be made. I use crushing shock as a spammable. It keeps my up time pretty good that I can tell, and I really like having that Interrupt utility.

But being on console, I can only see when the buff is on the bar or off. No data to say how the up time really is.

The 3 buffs you see on the bar with elemental succession, do appear to be on more. Soon as it goes off, it’s right back on; where as scathing can take a couple few seconds.

I do like it on my warden because it has a very bursty feel to it.

I’ll admit, I’m compelled to use it largely because I got the inferno staves and I’m fascinated by the proc style gameplay.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should get high up time on ES on any magicka class because you have Unstable Wall ticking all the time and you weave LA. Shocking Siphon should take care of the lightning effect and Avid Boneyard of the ice effect. If you wear it on the body you should have 100% up time on all 3, so effectively 550 spell damage.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

The Original Intent

The “Lightbulb” Moment

Oh ok. That explains it. He was mildly disappointed after farming it. Threw Succession on his MagDk to general delight lol.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on December 6, 2019 12:48PM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just Suck it Up and go META FOTM

Mother Sorrow? doesn’t make good sense to me on magic necromancer because it seems so wasted. At execute time, I get an extra %40 Crit for slotting skills puts me at nearly %100 Crit. I’d be way over that with MS.

Siroria? Well. I could...I guess? I haven’t had very good luck with this set. It does not do well if you have to move around a lot. Or aren’t quite skilled enough to get back in the circle and gawd help you if you need to see what you’re aiming at. There’s blinding light everywhere. And lastly, you got to be a light attack king to keep this thing going.

Spell Strat? Could work. Uhm, I have it and used it before. It gives excellent single target damage. But it didn't seem to really pop like I wanted it to. Like it looked like it should.

What About That New Crafted Set

New Moons Acolyte. I’m thinking about it. I tried it on my Sorc and it’s alright. I like keeping my characters balanced with sustain, damage and defense setups. I think sustain would be a big big problem with NMA. It does make you look like a powerhouse with the stats, I have to admit.

What are people theory crafting nowadays?

I’ve no idea. META chasers rule. Everything else is just less. The best Theory crafted thing I’ve seen in awhile is a healer using Gossamer, Jorvalds, monster. She explains the way those sets and a blood alter synergize so well It was magical.

There’s something to do with Healers wearing Martial Knowledge....I think it’s a complete waste of time for most every healer I know. It would require some convoluted rotation that maybe only an Andy.S type person could actually perform.

For Damage Dealers, there’s just a couple few options and how much you’re willing to sacrifice for more damage.

Crit is King! But then there’s other things that just get brushed under the carpet. Like surviving the fights! Making it to execute!
    Fights in phases, where it doesn’t matter how hard you slap that dummy around, you have to deal with phases.

Relequen and Locktight for the win. But that combo blows pretty hard for pretty much any pug I’ve ever been in. Relequen is near impossible to keep stacks up and Locktight does nothing if you get no flipping synergies.

So why bother?

Can’t deny the power in meta. It’s sadly just too strong. But your other options are completely viable, and keep me interested in playing. Keep it fun. Find something that works for you!

Off the top of my head, I would say half or more of my 16 characters are way off meta. I like making creative, fun, themed builds, that work. I discuss one of my favourite and most successful ones here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/487733/elemental-my-dear-fellow-fantasy-build#latest
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Succession is one of my favourite sets the change they did to this set was just perfect

Succession on a necromancer I find is better being full body just because they get the most out of the set

Magdk (fire) Magsorc (lightening) and Magden (frost) can get really good run with this set too but I find you need to build more recovery into Magsorc with it
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run Silks of the Sun (body) + Elemental Succession (Inferno Staff) (+ Grothdar) on my Dunmer Mag DK for Dungeons. It isn't sustainable in long fights, but in Dungeons you don't have those and you put out lots of aoe and burst damage. Uptime on Elemental Succession is usually ~80%, so it's definitely stronger than BSW. I also run the Thief mundus to compensate for missing crit bonus on armor Also this build uses cheap (loot) potions, with inner light on both bars and buffing the whole group with major sorcery and brutality. That's especially fine in random groups, where you might get Damage Dealers who don't buff themselves.

Farming the Elemental Succession Inferno staff was hard - I did it by getting in the leaderboard with 1-3 characters per week. I prefered it this way vs. farming in normal Maelstrom to get golden Jewelry to run with the staff :).
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on December 6, 2019 2:14PM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @vesselwiththepestle

I run SotS body, BSW front bar and Zaan on my MagDK. But I have problems sustaining as well. One set I've thought about running is Z'en's Redress. It doesn't look like much at first glance but you can probably get quite a bit out of it on a Mag DK since you have 2 class ST DoTs: Burning Embers and Engulfing Flames. Burning status is also a ST DoT AFAIK. The other 2 can be Degeneration and Consuming Trap. The 2p bonus is Magicka Recovery so it may help sustain a bit.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: