The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

AoE Cast Times

Bullseyebudx
Bullseyebudx
✭✭✭
Can anyone please actually confirm what the additional cast time is for AoE abilities?

Any PvE players that would've have complained went on hiatus.

I went back through the past couple patch notes but I couldn't find the specifics not surprisingly.
I see mention of AoE abilities being addressed using "Cast Times" but couldn't find anything after that.

I'm asking because I've continued to see very poor performance revolving around the use of AoE abilities in general, but in particular for PvP.

Between the performance issues with the game, not being able to cast abilities even out of combat (not registering an animation), consistent bugs with CC's, snares, and immunity, and effects priority sequencing issues; AoE abilities more times than not actually get me killed because I can't cast them or I get bugged trying to use them.

I've literally been in fights where I have to go through the cast animation 4 times without actually getting the cast to go through, I'm not exaggerating, sometimes bar swapping can clear the issue but after four attempts and a bar swap instead of actually spending that time casting abilities you're either already dead or set at a significant disadvantage.

If the content was too overpowered being used without a cast time maybe reducing the effectiveness of the effect instead of how effectively you can use that effect would have been a more logical way to address the issue instead of the band aid fix.

I have my AoEs set to instant cast, my character does the cast animation but nothing happens the AoE area comes up but the ability never goes off.

I really don't run into this issue much or ever actually outside of combat.

Specifically I can speak to issues with the Necromancer AoE abilities; Renewing Undeath, Colossus, Bone Totem, and Graveyard but more specifically I have issues with the first two.

Last patch I just decided not to use renewing undeath because I was tired of the bugs and I could sustain without it, I still had issues with the Colossus but I didn't have to rely on it for kills I could manage with DoTs and weaving.

I'm sure the mentality here on the forums will be something along the lines of "WELL JUST DON"T USE THEM DUH!" or "THOSE ABILITIES ARE OP I GET KILLED BY THEM ALL THE TIME!" or "WHAT DOES AOE STAND FOR?", but when you need to use abilities like Colossus for pretty much all your kills, and Undeath for healing it becomes an issue.

I can't tell anymore if the developers are forcing game play towards effects with known bugs to help better identify what the actual issue is so they can try to fix them or if they just don't understand.

Honestly I just want to be able to play the game and use abilities with some reasonable amount of consistency, which really isn't an unreasonable request considering you offer a subscription based service, but specifically this combined with everything else that's going on with the game it's just getting a little ridiculous but more importantly it didn't need to be.

I've seen posts in the past calling out this issue and currently too but instead of fixing the already and many existing issues you created a new one and ignored a multitude of negative feedback from several different perspectives.

I vaguely remember a comment about the cast time changes; something along the lines we understand it'll take some getting used to, guess what I didn't get use to it, and I'm not going to and it doesn't look like other players will either based on the confusion over abilities not functioning properly, so how about just maybe we fix it this time?

If you want to make bad decisions go do it on your own time or better yet just remove the content from the game instead so you're not creating more work for someone else, because NO ONE is going to get use to a half baked buggy change , they just wont use it and it'll keep coming back up on the forums over and over again until all the content is bugged and dead because it never gets fixed it just gets changed.

Please fix problems don't create them.
  • markusloveFTM
    markusloveFTM
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, necromancer for you. This wouldn't be shined a light on but obviously, necromancer is just filled with broken ground AoE abilities that are useless for PvP when you're expected to weave light attacks and have your block up 100% of the time, so you're usually dead by the time the ability has been cast.

ESO should of just allowed us to dye our abilities instead of creating the necromancer class.

If you dyed a templar's or a nightblade's abilities to cyan blue, you'd have yourself a playable necromancer.

Create a monster set that spawns a flesh atronarch? You have yourself a perfect necromancer (as nightblade or templar).
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, necromancer for you. This wouldn't be shined a light on but obviously, necromancer is just filled with broken ground AoE abilities that are useless for PvP when you're expected to weave light attacks and have your block up 100% of the time, so you're usually dead by the time the ability has been cast.

ESO should of just allowed us to dye our abilities instead of creating the necromancer class.

If you dyed a templar's or a nightblade's abilities to cyan blue, you'd have yourself a playable necromancer.

Create a monster set that spawns a flesh atronarch? You have yourself a perfect necromancer (as nightblade or templar).

Pretty much, you forgot DK though with blue Spiked armor. ;)

I liked my Magblade before it was completely overhauled.