Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is healing over preforming or is the true issue counter play and lack of it being universal.

• tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    great, another nerf thread.

nerf this, nerf that, reduce the targets. and so on. I have some news for you. Healing already got nerfed (e.g. springs). Hots do not hit everyone (e.g. echoing vigor hits 6 people, always the same if they don't take damage - mutagen (not sure if the right morph) only hits 3 players).

Healing in its current state isn't the issue.
    If you pay attention, you will notice that most of these topics asking for nerfs were created by this same guy. He is on some kind of crusade here for the last couple of days.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    The problem isn't so much healing in itself, nor dedicated healers. Rather, the problem is cross and off healing, specifically with magicka DPS.

With Scalebreaker, both DoT's and HoT's were buffed, with a few HoT's being reworked to have more obvious group morphs. These buffs balanced each other out, and, in some cases, tipped the scales away from healing, as DoT's could easily overwhelm HoT's.

With Dragonhold, they nerfed DoT's and removed some burst options, while leaving HoT's as they were, which has left healing super strong, in a meta where damage is rather low.

With healing being super strong, and a few HoT's having more obvious group morphs, the game has been pushed into a meta where DPS can just run the group morphs of these HoT's (namely Radiating Regeneration), and not only apply a super strong HoT on themselves, but on nearby allies, too. From a DPS. See the problem, here?

Dedicated healers aren't the problem, because they're not the cause of this. The tools of dedicated healers have been buffed, but these same tools can be used on DPS, with even higher tooltips due to the stronger offensive stats DPS builds tend to offer. Since there's so much more DPS than dedicated healers in a group, dedicated healers really aren't needed, unless nobody runs these HoT's.

The solution to this is to bring the overperforming group HoT morphs back in line, while also making sure the self morphs are actually functional (Rapid Regen applies to the lowest ally, not just to yourself, so by nerfing Radiating Regen, you're removing the only reliable morph magicka DPS have, if they're using this as a self heal).

Take some power out of individual heals, put that power back into using a variety of heals, hence putting power back into dedicated healers, since DPS can't afford to slot every heal. That way, DPS can still heal themselves, without providing a ton of cross and off healing for the group, which brings dedicated healers back into the fold, since they can actually do their jobs instead of being overshadowed by the dozen or so DPS running Radiating Regen on back bar.

There’s one huge flaw in your premise. If healing is so overtuned why don’t all stamina run echoing vigor? The extra healing from resolving vigor should not be required, and echoing vigor would be the no brainer better morph.

"specifically with magicka DPS"

The problem is not nearly as prevalent with stamina DPS, because Echoing isn't nearly as strong as Radiating Regen. Look at the UESP pages for both Echoing Vigor and Radiating Regen. Check the notes section under the little skill stub on the right to see the stats used to get those tooltips, and you can see the stats are both equal.

Radiating Regen has a much higher base tooltip than Echoing Vigor, which allows it to scale much higher, even despite stam being able to stack way more weapon damage. I mean, just look at the base tooltips. Radiating Regen has a base tooltip that is about 60% higher than Echoing's. No amount of weapon damage and max stam stacking can make up that difference.

Now, granted, Radiating Regen does have a much lower target cap (I think Echoing is still limited to 12 or 24 people, though that's way more than 3), so the amount it heals for should be higher since Echoing can heal more targets in a single cast. But that shouldn't result in a 60% difference. That's just insane.

Echoing is capped at 6 and radiating regen is capped at 3. The base healing is different yes, but with high weapon damage amounts stam have the tooltip comes out to about the same in pvp builds.

Echoing vigor is basicly regen but better. The only limitation is the range.
    Not really. Echoing vigor is hot garbage for anything other than group play where heals are stacked on top of each other. Radiating regen is actually viable solo as well, since you can get up to 3k ticks from it (no CP) in an average build, meaning you don't have to respec every time you are not in a group. GL getting anything close to that healing on echoing without running some meme max weap dmg build that either cannot be sustained or is too squishy. You won't. Target cap is really irrelevant in a discussion about healing power. RR can also be easily tapped twice.
    Edited by Koensol on December 3, 2019 7:44AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    great, another nerf thread.

nerf this, nerf that, reduce the targets. and so on. I have some news for you. Healing already got nerfed (e.g. springs). Hots do not hit everyone (e.g. echoing vigor hits 6 people, always the same if they don't take damage - mutagen (not sure if the right morph) only hits 3 players).

Healing in its current state isn't the issue.
    If you pay attention, you will notice that most of these topics asking for nerfs were created by this same guy. He is on some kind of crusade here for the last couple of days.

They created a forum account right when they started their first post and went right on a mission.

Most of it seems to be around what would help streaking pet sorcs and heavy attacks. Doesnt want gap closers to stun, even in an ultimate like dragon leap, so you can streak as soon as someone gets close.
    Streak stun is fine of course. Doesnt like that purges remove heavy lightning channel as they probably go all damage and let their pets attack for them as well as LOS while they cheese away just heavy attacking to keep their pets on target and their heavy attacks to make up for no recovery

It's like I mentioned in another thread. As overloaded toppling charge might be; it helps combat streakers and speedsters to which you are never going to get a follow up move if on. As much as people complain about jabs and sweeps; its because staying on top of a NB spamming that is far more effective than wasting your potion on a detect pot, or the crummy expensive detect skills with stupid short range and duration.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healing is not the only thing overperforming; see stam with max resist and/or damage reduction dishing loads of damage for a good example of exactly why players are building tank healer-like builds in the first place.

When your glass cannon can barely dent a player because of all the damage reduction they have and they kill you instantly, something is wrong and it is not healing.

Nerfing HoTs across the board by 30% would put all my chars HoTs back to where they were before they were buffed, but it would also mean that every mag char I have would have to gain close to 30K resist to do anything in PvP this patch.

Unlike stam chars, that coupled with the need to increase my stam pool, plus increase regen and cost reduction from all the changes means that all of those chars will be shelved because they won't be able to compete with stam on a fundamental level. They already don't besides sorc :D

Let's be realistic here.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They nerfed just about everything in the game that had major defile due to befoul CP, Reverb Bash, Incap, Enchants, Affliction, Duroks Bane etc etc. Bloodthirsty was too OP, Fury and Seventh Legion were too OP, SnB was overloaded.

Most of the player base didn't like the DoT meta so they reverted that.

This is what we got now and we should just leave it alone before it gets worse. I already can't stand CP enabled PvP, it's impossible to duel, never ending.
    PC EU
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, it is my belief that healing in game is pretty high. So much so that some classes are hard to kill. But is the issue high heal or counter play. I believe its counter play and lack of access to it. I believe healing focus build should
    have better counter gameplay. THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL OPTION TO COUNTER HEALING THAT IS VIABLE. You are at a disadvantage against a class that has class major defile in its tool kit. Major defile is not universal. It is also my belief as a fact that no matter the class. A universal mechanic is the ability to manage a hp bar. Therefore ALL CLASS USE HEALING. Furthermore it is my belief that the cp system should apply a way to apply the cp skill befoul universally. I also believe befoul in the cp tree should be applied as a action in the cp tree's. And example would be to replace siphoned with defile. As stated before I believe all classes should have access to major defile. I also wouldn't mind seeing major defile increase to 35% or a higher number after testing have been done.

Have you ever considered the possibility it is because of the so many complaints about "over-performing" skills that do damage and CC, of which you have authored many recently, that it is so easy for average players to be carried by high health/healing builds?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, it is my belief that healing in game is pretty high. So much so that some classes are hard to kill. But is the issue high heal or counter play. I believe its counter play and lack of access to it. I believe healing focus build should
    have better counter gameplay. THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL OPTION TO COUNTER HEALING THAT IS VIABLE. You are at a disadvantage against a class that has class major defile in its tool kit. Major defile is not universal. It is also my belief as a fact that no matter the class. A universal mechanic is the ability to manage a hp bar. Therefore ALL CLASS USE HEALING. Furthermore it is my belief that the cp system should apply a way to apply the cp skill befoul universally. I also believe befoul in the cp tree should be applied as a action in the cp tree's. And example would be to replace siphoned with defile. As stated before I believe all classes should have access to major defile. I also wouldn't mind seeing major defile increase to 35% or a higher number after testing have been done.

Have you ever considered the possibility it is because of the so many complaints about "over-performing" skills that do damage and CC, of which you have authored many recently, that it is so easy for average players to be carried by high health/healing builds?

I still don’t think nerfing specific skills will make a difference. Each patch there’s a new target:

Reach - dizzy - toppling/invig drain...

It’s a buggy break free that’s the culprit. Until that happens it’ll just be a rotation of what people use.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree it is my belief that counter play is the main reason
  • Infectious1X
    Infectious1X
    ✭✭✭
    Cross healing is the issue? Seriously? ROFL! Yeah, I guess that’s why 1v1s always end in stalemates right? “But PvP isn’t balanced around 1v1s.” Correct, but nobody dies in group fights either.

Cross healing isn’t the issue. It’s combined with the fact that healing in general is absurdly powerful currently. Even in the dot meta people still didn’t die if they were competent.

The two main issues is that healing scales with dps, meaning everyone has access to powerful heals, which only gets worse when you add dedicated healers into the mix and the fact that counterplay (defile) was essentially removed entirely from the game.

Yeah, maybe the “defile” meta wasn't too much fun, but at least pvp wasn’t full of 30 min fights with no one dying until someone gave up out of boredom. Bring defile back and tweak the game around that. Defile also has the benefit of having zero impact on PvErs, so they’d have no reason to complain about changes being made for pvpers.
    Edited by Infectious1X on December 4, 2019 10:13AM
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cross healing is the issue? Seriously? ROFL! Yeah, I guess that’s why 1v1s always end in stalemates right? “But PvP isn’t balanced around 1v1s.” Correct, but the issue only gets worse in group fights.

Cross healing isn’t the issue. It’s combined with the fact that healing in general is absurdly powerful currently. Even in the dot meta people still didn’t die if they were competent.

The two main issues is that healing scales with dps, meaning everyone has access to powerful heals, which only gets worse when you add dedicated healers into the mix and the fact that counterplay (defile) was essentially removed entirely from the game.

Yeah, maybe the “defile” meta wasn't too much fun, but at least pvp wasn’t full of 30 min fights with no one dying until someone gave up out of boredom. Bring defile back and tweak the game around that. Defile also has the benefit of having zero impact on PvErs, so they’d have no reason to complain about changes being made for pvpers.
    Agree and as stated before defile should be universal for all classes. Just like hp management(or healing) is universal for all classes.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually all they need to do is to separate spell power with healing power. They already made Armor to be both spell and physical resistance, why not separate these two then so as not to make dps char great healers as well and full healers to be relevant again in all content.

That's all they need to do really.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP, it’s easier to heal than it is to deal damage.

Simple. To the point. Accurate.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Actually all they need to do is to separate spell power with healing power. They already made Armor to be both spell and physical resistance, why not separate these two then so as not to make dps char great healers as well and full healers to be relevant again in all content.

Yea lets make any form of solo play impossible. Great idea. Next thing the only playstyle left is zerging and all will be good.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Battle spirit - Decrease healing value by "X".

That simple really. No need to vastly change 10 skills when you can edit one. Eazy Peazy.
    Edited by karekiz on December 4, 2019 5:13PM
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like some of the great ideas I read. And counter play arguements. Which is why I believe that no matter what change was made. Defile should be easier to have access to no matter the class. It's a major disadvantage to go against a class that have defile in there class skills. All classes have to manage their hp bar. So all classes should have major defile in their classes set up. It's great counter play to healing that doesn't effect pve
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Battle spirit - Decrease healing value by "X".

That simple really. No need to vastly change 10 skills when you can edit one. Eazy Peazy.

Battle spirit currently decreases your healing a 50%
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Yea lets make any form of solo play impossible. Great idea. Next thing the only playstyle left is zerging and all will be good.

Not really, if you want to be able to solo play, you can always build for both spell and healing power. It goes the same way for stam too, wep and healing power. That way, you dont have multiple zerglings spamming Vigour left right and centre while dishing out 3-4k wep damage and be able to heal as good as a full blown healer.

You'd want to promote team play and a conscious effort made by the player to choose his path, not having both options to heal and deal damage all under one single stat.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a sorcerer heals and deals more damage than a templar or a warden, you know they have broken the game. They have not reverted the healing buffs that were due to high dot damage.
  • Infectious1X
    Infectious1X
    ✭✭✭

First off, it’s an mmo, not a single player game. Second, the game is ridiculously, mind numbingly simple and easy, at least for PvE. Healers are nearly non existent for nearly all group content because players like you want strong healing and dps for “SoLo pLaY.”

In PvP, everyone is on equal terms since everyone would be forced to either choose dps or healing, or a weaker combination of both. Going solo also isn’t meant to be easy against groups for obvious reasons, but for some awful reason, this is the only mmo where “PvPers” want consistent* 1vX content. Why should a single player be able to survive for minutes at a time against multiple people? Why do you think 1v1s ALWAYS end in stalemates?

*As in always viable. 1vXs are possible in other mmos against undergeared or less skilled players, but those players aren’t attempting to ruin balance for being outnumbered.
    Edited by Infectious1X on December 5, 2019 6:52AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

First off, it’s an mmo, not a single player game. Second, the game is ridiculously, mind numbingly simple and easy, at least for PvE. Healers are nearly non existent for nearly all group content because players like you want strong healing and dps for “SoLo pLaY.”

In PvP, everyone is on equal terms since everyone would be forced to either choose dps or healing, or a weaker combination of both. Going solo also isn’t meant to be easy against groups for obvious reasons, but for some awful reason, this is the only mmo where “PvPers” want consistent* 1vX content. Why should a single player be able to survive for minutes at a time against multiple people? Why do you think 1v1s ALWAYS end in stalemates?

*As in always viable. 1vXs are possible in other mmos against undergeared or less skilled players, but those players aren’t attempting to ruin balance for being outnumbered.
    Aah I knew this response was coming. You look at it way too black and white. Just because I don't agree with the offered suggestion doesn't mean I disagree healing is too strong. It is too strong. So just adjust that then. Adding a seperate healing stat is only going to hurt self sustainability and means normal builds will have to sacrifice a lot in order to heal themself, because the game will have too many stats and elements to invest in. You can say what you want, but solo play is a playstyle. And it has effect as well in smallscale combat (4 man), which is what I usually prefer to play. Because in small scale you have to also be self sustainable. Running with a full healer is just so much more boring.

The great thing for many players is having to manage all aspects of combat while fighting. Damage, healing, sustain and defense. For people who don't like that there are bigger raid groups or lfg zergs. This is one of the only games where this sort freedom in different playstyles is possible. If you remove the ability to enjoy one kind of playstyle, tons of people will leave. Me included. I am not asking for "ez 1vx". I'm asking for freedom in playstyles and having the game enable all of them and not just one "bEcAuSe ItS aN mMo".

1v1 weren't always stalemates. Especially not in no cp, which is where you'd go if you want balanced and challenging pvp. No cp duels used to be pretty good actually. CP is a massive joke in itself. Was in CP IC yesterday and watched people duel not even bringing each other below 70%. The system is a joke and has been lifted into new levels by the latest changes.
    Edited by Koensol on December 5, 2019 7:09AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because ESO isn´t like "every other MMO out there" and the argument that solo play shouldn´t be viable in an MMO is such an outdated argument that I´m not sure where to start explaining how invalid it is. Solo play/1vX is already hard as it is (and even more so in NO-CP), and solo/small group should be encouraged, not the opposite. A good start would be to limit group size in PvP down to 12, and only allow you to heal and receive healing from people within your group.

When it comes to PvE, healers are non-existing in experienced groups where players have become accustomed to the mechanics of the content, and can therefor afford to drop the healer role and go for another DD (+ slotting a selfheal). For less experienced players and for trials, the healer role is still an important one.
  • MyPrist
    MyPrist
    ✭✭✭
    One shot builds work good with targets under 30 k hp, do it heal or not - just do not care.

But not each class have such delayed skills... .
  • Infectious1X
    Infectious1X
    ✭✭✭
    @Koensol I will admit that it would hurt sustainability, but I’m curious to know why separate stats work in every other mmo, but somehow doesn’t in ESO, if not for the solo aspect. Regardless for me personally, I’m more for bringing back defile and other sources of counter-play. It has no affect on PvE and doesn’t directly (necessarily) hurt self-sustainability.

@Qbiken I’m actually curious to hear your points for why it’s an invalid argument. So far, I’ve only heard the “it’s different from other mmos” excuse, so I’m genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts. I myself almost exclusively play solo, yet I don’t want the game to try balancing around my specific play style and nor should it. Being outnumbered in PvP should generally always = death in most circumstances and I don’t believe this should ever change.

I agree that small scale play should be more encouraged as those fights are far more interesting than zerging, but zergs happen not because solo play/small scale is far too difficult, but simply because it’s the most effective way to play. Limiting group healing is actually a good idea and would definitely separate zergs. Objectives and group limitations should realistically be what encourages or promotes small scale, not an increase in solo strength.
    Edited by Infectious1X on December 5, 2019 8:48AM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How do you have time to play, writing all these nerf threads. Heals ain’t over performing. Maybe you’re UNDERPERFORMING...
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I have played the game alot and from what I have seen. Player will find a way. This is a metaphor for the state of eso.
    It's my belief if you make a separate stat. Player will find the build that breaks the gameplay. I honestly have no idea if a separate stat will work it could but unlikely. Plus I'm no dev but it seems like alot of work for a maybe it will work approach.

I'm not a game developer and I wont pretend to know how to do design or create development changes BUT what I do know is philosophy, Cause and effect, balance vs unbalance. I can guarantee
    That if something Is over preforming the first place to look is counter play. In this case there is EXTREMELY LIMITED COUNTER PLAY balance to the healing in pvp. The counter play is wear a set or pray you have a class skill. This counter play is way to limit. Healing is universal so counter play should be universal. Until that happens there will never be true balance. In my opinion
    Edited by phoenixkungfu on December 5, 2019 12:59PM
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t have a 50 percent chance of going on someone else. It has a 100percent chance of going on the lowest health target.

If your team mate happens to fall into that threshold while you’re trying to heal yourself, well, that’s just bad timing.

I’ll agree that some classes have a better healing tool kit than others, but regardless of class, healing is still stronk.
    Edited by ChunkyCat on December 5, 2019 4:06PM
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact mmorpg are not solo game.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »

Read my previous comment before posting comments that I already adressed. I want all playstyles to be viable, unlike some zergbads that will do anything to stop others from outplaying them.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »

Read my previous comment before posting comments that I already adressed. I want all playstyles to be viable, unlike some zergbads that will do anything to stop others from outplaying them.

So you should be to split healing and dps stat.
    Atm healer are useless in every content outside of trial.

Their is 2 moment where healer is needed :
    - Player are bad
    - You do trial (hell I can solo heal most ntrial and some vet..)

I'm actually farming tank gear to switch all my heal in tank.
    And I'm a fellow healer main since I start mmorpg.
    That how bad the stat of healer are atm in the game at high level.

You can't put a healing skill working on dps stat or max hp stat for obvious reason, no mmorpg do that except here.
    Tank don't need healer (wtf ?) DPS who know strat and don't sleep on rotation don't need it either.

You said we need more solo content ? Dude, almost 90% of the game can be soloed...
    You just contradict yourself.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    healing is OP. I hope ZOS will delete such thing as "dedicated healer" from the game.

Should be only 3 roles: 1) Tanky DD, 2) Full DD, 3) Weakest DD in the group, who forced to slot 1 healing skill