The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Please read Overload heavy attack combat range nerf?

phoenixkungfu
phoenixkungfu
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone, I'm a 4 year pet sorcerer. I love the class. So much so that I have 245 days on my pet sorcerer. I also test alot of build and like to create unique playstyles. That may not be considered meta. To be honest that what make eso THE BEST MMO. It's the ability to play as you want and be competitive. I love the fact that at the heart and soul of the game, this promise has been kept. I dont know the overall vision but I always stuck around because I can believe in the promise zenimax made at the beginning. On the topic of overload. The range of the heavy attack at 8 meters is simply not competitive with pvp defense mechanics. Fear and fossilized range is 6 and 7 meters. Yes these unblockable stun reach far. But as a universal defense mechanic dodge roll is 5 or 6 meters based on my testing.
Unfortunately this means that in most situations you will only get 1 tick of overload against an opponent roll dodge. This during gameplay feel unbalance and in favor of stam burst builds. Drawnbreaker has a 10 meter range plus a stun. On top of nightblades that has silence on incap. In simple terms, the gameplay rewards poor burst combo with 1 dodge roll away. Overload heavy attack as a playstyle combos with lightning wall of elements. Lightning wall of elements has a 14 meter range. After testing 14meters is equal to 2 and half dodge rolls minimum. Which in pvp in most situations equal to 2 to 3 ticks of overload maximum. This measurement is extremely balance. I would like to request this range as a measurement, (14 meters) applied to overload heavy attack. I remember reading the patch notes of why the change was made. It was to basically help stam nightblade gameplay. I remember thinking to myself. Why doesn't anybody give another side of the story from a sorcerer point of view. Also in term of nightblades cloak. cloak provides a fight on a nightblade terms. When you can't see your opponent they can attack first. Which is a major advantage. Furthermore nightblade gameplay have risk free gameplay if they choose to use it. This insurance policy is shade. A nightblade gameplay is to use this to teleport away if a gank attempt goes wrong. Heavy overload was a balance answer to a poor combo attempt, defense armor set up and bar set up . It was in my opinion balance to revive stealth players. Who got to initiate offense. The true power of overload heavy attack is to counter the abuse of dodge roll and stealth mechanics as a form of defense. Hopefully I have provide number as a measurement of gameplay balance. Furthermore my goal was to enlighten pvp mechanics on why the range of heavy attack overload is under preforming.

This is the first post I ever created. Please help build diversity out. Can I play range, mobile meta sorcerer yes. But I dont want to. Please help build diversity out.
Edited by phoenixkungfu on January 27, 2020 1:49PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest i think that since this skill is usually only in pvp they should lower the damage of the heavy attack channel BUT make the person crowd control immune while channeling, it could be interesting.
    Edited by zvavi on November 26, 2019 8:25AM
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've switched to overload light attacks unless players are balled tight or I'm fighting for a flag or in close quarters. I've been experimenting with elemental weapon and bound armaments to boost the light attack damage, but my sorc is way way way off meta.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be a interesting change. I wouldn't mind seeing all heavy buff in this manner. Stam or magic. Also interms of staff heavy attack. I really feel as a gameplay templar clease and purge shouldn't break a magic heavy attack.
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the light attack element is useful as a range meta sorc. However it is my belief as a gameplay heavy attack is a fantastic counter to pvp mechanics of dodge roll and stealth mechanics. For me this is the ultimate goal for overload heavy attack. But yes it's also great against multiplayer as aoe damage, which is in my opinion an forgotten identity at the heart and soul of the sorcerer class. Sorc are excellent at burst and aoe dps.
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Overload HAneeds a damage buff too to be honest, even a fully dedicated glass cannon overload HA sorc will only tickle a target now. Plus trying to get offbalance to work is a joke, and the range of the ultimate as you have highlighted is pointless.

It is now an ultimate ability that barely gets used, and cannot be used in competitive pvp, its a shame really.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Range is way too short now. This ult was finally good for something, and then they ruined it.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's bring back the reason I'm on the forum. I reason someone had to speak up for build diversity. This is my first post ever
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's bring back the reason I'm on the forum. I reason someone had to speak up for build diversity. This is my first post ever

... And it's really not enjoyable to read.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/506216/how-to-post-actual-suggestions-guide

And sorry, but...

Overload is not a defensive skill. It's a damage buff.

Sorcerer's defensive skills are Bolt escape, Encase, Rune prison, and Negate. You may also count in shields/heals, and pets as they make a sorcerer harder to be targeted.

Lightning form is also a great defense buff and helps spotting nearby stealth enemies.

Just read the tooltips, what makes you think Overload would be designed to counter roll-dodge ? Its AoE component ? How do you think people get out of other AoEs ?

And you seem to totally ignore the stamina cost of roll-dodge in your "balance" comparisons.
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »

... And it's really not enjoyable to read.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/506216/how-to-post-actual-suggestions-guide

And sorry, but...

Overload is not a defensive skill. It's a damage buff.

Sorcerer's defensive skills are Bolt escape, Encase, Rune prison, and Negate. You may also count in shields/heals, and pets as they make a sorcerer harder to be targeted.

Lightning form is also a great defense buff and helps spotting nearby stealth enemies.

Just read the tooltips, what makes you think Overload would be designed to counter roll-dodge ? Its AoE component ? How do you think people get out of other AoEs ?

And you seem to totally ignore the stamina cost of roll-dodge in your "balance" comparisons.

I'm super confused. But I will roll with it. Defense skill? Power overload is a unique playstyle that goes against meta sorcerer. Most meta sorcerer build to maximize effectiveness of range and mobility. A power overload build looks to maximize damage at cost of range and recovery. So the idea is to be more offense during ultimate and find defense with low recovery. As it stands now power overload range is extremely low compared to other builds and is not competitive against fear, fossilize or any build after 1 dodge roll. It's also unfair compare to drawnbreaker at 10m with a stun on hit. Power overload or any channel ultimate IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ultimate to use..why? Because your locked in a animation. Furthermore sorcerer are not designed to go toe to toe against healing builds. So 8m power overload is the most dangerous position and ultimate to use. Overload heavy need range increase on the range class. Especially against dlc classes that straight up breaks melee distance rules gameplay.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Power Overload: Charge your fists with the power of the storm, replacing your Light and Heavy Attacks with new, stronger abilities. Light Attacks become lightning bolts, dealing [7218] Shock Damage to an enemy up to 32 meters away. Heavy Attacks blast enemies in a 6 x 8 area for [6494] Shock Damage. Attacks deplete Ultimate until you run out, or the ability is toggled off

- unique ultimate feature: can be activated with only 25 Ult. and does not instantly deplete Ult. pool.

Check Forums back in early 2018, you will see many complaints about the skill being too powerful.

Unfair compared to Dawnbreaker with stun ?

Dawnbreaker of Smiting: Arm yourself with Meridia's sacred sword and dispense her retribution, dealing [9841] Physical Damage to enemies in front of you, an additional [11806] Physical Damage over 6 seconds, and stunning them for 2 seconds.

- Costs 125 Ult. (5x Overload), 10m range (1/3 Overload LA).

Both can be roll-dodged with correct timing.

How many loaded light attacks can you send from a 125 Ult. Overload at a good 30m distance ? Is it fair ?

Defensive skill ?
    The true power of overload heavy attack is to counter the abuse of dodge roll and stealth mechanics as a form of defense.

... Only in your mind.
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 27, 2020 3:54PM
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Power Overload: Charge your fists with the power of the storm, replacing your Light and Heavy Attacks with new, stronger abilities. Light Attacks become lightning bolts, dealing [7218] Shock Damage to an enemy up to 32 meters away. Heavy Attacks blast enemies in a 6 x 8 area for [6494] Shock Damage. Attacks deplete Ultimate until you run out, or the ability is toggled off

- unique ultimate feature: can be activated with only 25 Ult. and does not instantly deplete Ult. pool.

Check Forums back in early 2018, you will see many complaints about the skill being too powerful.

Dawnbreaker of Smiting: Arm yourself with Meridia's sacred sword and dispense her retribution, dealing [9841] Physical Damage to enemies in front of you, an additional [11806] Physical Damage over 6 seconds, and stunning them for 2 seconds.

How many loaded light attacks can you send from a 125 Ult. Overload at a good 30m distance ? Is it fair ?

Defensive skill ?
    The true power of overload heavy attack is to counter the abuse of dodge roll and stealth mechanics as a form of defense.

... Only in your mind.

Once again the issue is overload heavy attack range is 6m. Power overload heavy attack range is 8 m. Stam melee range average 7m. 1 dogde roll
    equal 6 meters. Drawnbreaker is 10m. This is the issue. Also for a breakdown please refer to the beginning of this post
    Edited by phoenixkungfu on January 27, 2020 4:01PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Defensive skill ?

... Only in your mind.

Once again the issue is overload heavy attack range is 6m. Power overload heavy attack range is 8 m. Stam melee range average 7m. 1 dogde roll
    equal 6 meters. Drawnbreaker is 10m. This is the issue. Also for a breakdown please refer to the beginning of this post

Stam melee range is 5m. Stam Dk melee range is 7m.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭

Defensive skill ?

... Only in your mind.

Overload HA can be activated from 25 Ult. So it makes sense it's less efficient than a 125 Ult.

At 8m of an enemy player, and as MagSorc, either you use stun/execute skills, and/or you step out using Streak.
    Standing in front of him using heavy attacks is probably not going to save you anyway.

And you did not answer my questions. Ignoring opposed arguments does not make them disappear.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go near OL heavy in any build anymore, unless you want to risk a ban. There are too many bugs that can be considered exploits, and on top of that too many bugs that negatively affect you.

here's my vid on current live bugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddN8akiH80

On pts there are more bugs, but I have not bothered to test them, because there are even worse bugs in the game like 100% damage mitigation, and players being healed by 30-40% after using break free.

see:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/509527/call-to-test#latest
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭

Defensive skill ?

... Only in your mind.

Overload HA can be activated from 25 Ult. So it makes sense it's less efficient than a 125 Ult.

At 8m of an enemy player, and as MagSorc, either you use stun/execute skills, and/or you step out using Streak.
    Standing in front of him using heavy attacks is probably not going to save you anyway.

And you did not answer my questions. Ignoring opposed arguments does not make them disappear.

Overload is pure damage with 0 bonus. So your argument is not valid. There is no stun, no special something on use. Drawnbreaker stuns, leave a dot and bonus damage undead. Pretty much any ultimate is better than overload and that's ok...what is not ok is my overload heavy range nerf to 7m. so some nightblade can have advantage to getaway. After getting sucker punched from cloak. This change destroy sorcerer class diversity. It's all but impossible on the disadvantage to allow the range of 8m to use against super deadly melee classes.its unfair and unbelievable unbalance.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Defensive skill ?

... Only in your mind.

Overload is pure damage with 0 bonus. So your argument is not valid. There is no stun, no special something on use. Drawnbreaker stuns, leave a dot and bonus damage undead. Pretty much any ultimate is better than overload and that's ok...what is not ok is my overload heavy range nerf to 7m. so some nightblade can have advantage to getaway. After getting sucker punched from cloak. This change destroy sorcerer class diversity. It's all but impossible on the disadvantage to allow the range of 8m to use against super deadly melee classes.its unfair and unbelievable unbalance.

But again, you use Dawnbreaker once and have to rebuild 125 ult again. With overload, you can pause heavy attacking and continue high damage attacks as you want. Plus you have a lot of defensive options if you are into Overload playstyle - unblockable stun with Streak (and don't go with the bullcrap again that its only a escape tool, you can use it offensively), defensive rune stun on hit, encase roots, minefield roots, shield, crystal blast stun, boundless storm major expedition.
    If you expect just to stay still and overload someone to death then sorry, nobody is gonna act like target dummy and just attack, dont roll or block. And stealth can be broken by single Blockade, Lightning Splash or Familiar pulse.
    If me, a mdk main can do 1 pet overload builds effectively then you can too.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    theirs another sorcerer nerf? How shocking whats newwwwwww!