The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I wanted to express my disappointment in the patch notes for 2019.

loyalhabsfan
loyalhabsfan
✭✭✭✭
It's interesting how you can grow simultaneously with a game. 4-5 years is a long time to stick with a single game as your "main". When ESO launched, the patches and changes/new content were always exciting. The tweaks & new content, coupled with my amount of free time in college resulted in me completely 'buying in' if you will. Now that I work a 40-50 hour/week job, it makes it more difficult; but I still try to find the time. The real issue is these incremental patches that change the entire landscape of the game, as well as my play style and how myself and friends enjoy the game. What happened to tweaking things until they were acceptable? DOTs buffed just to nerf them in half the next patch? Having fun in this game feels like a full time job, and I feel myself pulling away. I accept it for what it is, I just wanted to share that it is disappointing and does sadden me. Classes seem to have lost so much of their identity, the combat seems to be dumbed down a bit with the cc/ulti changes, I just feel like it's being geared so every class/weapon has the same tools with different visual effects. Have always loved this game, but I see myself close to moving on. Curious to see if anyone feels the same way, even though I know most people who share my opinion are most likely not browsing these forums. Sad face. Thanks for the fun, ZOS.

RIP dizzy cc. :(
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

:D

Just so you know, you aren't the first to post a large wall of text about quitting over a single skill change and will not be the last.
  • loyalhabsfan
    loyalhabsfan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

Just so you know, you aren't the first to post a large wall of text about quitting over a single skill change and will not be the last.

As much as I loved it, I can very much continue playing with the 2h with tactician and no hard cc. That wasn't really my main gripe.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have 2020 to get it together or I and many friends will be moving on. Shadowlands expansion out next fall, ESO better step up their game!
    Edited by itsfatbass on November 20, 2019 1:32AM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    They have 2020 to get it together or I and many friends will be moving on. Shadowlands expansion out next fall, ESO better step up their game!

I was very optimistic with 2019 and the actual direction and inititive to standardize how they combat ability, set and racial balancing, they've made a ton of improvements and I have no doubt they will reverse some of the heavy handed changes to AOE costs and DOT damage. We are finally seeing more class idenity and promises of game performance improvements that I've experienced first hand myself. They just need to fine tune things and come up with something meaningful for the next chapter to shake up the game and with standardization it should be easier than ever before.

There is already strong hints that it will be Skyrim themed, probably too big, so broken up in to 2 zones like Elsweyer, the main zone being Winterhold with their focus on a new skill line. It's a great oportunity to finally bring in Spell Crafting seeing as the whole original idea would of never worked without standardizing costs and ability damage/duration. More mentions of things deep underground in Skyrim also tells me they may be eluding to the original mechanic of seeking out essentially tablets that help you Craft Spells. Realistically, it could work like a skill line in that you can only have 1 single target dot, 1 spammable, 1 aoe dot, 1 aoe hot, 1 support ability. This was basically how the Psijic order skill line was made.

Lastly, they have a pattern already that indicates a lot of my suspicions. 1st chapter = class (warden), 2nd chapter = skill line, 3rd chapter = class (necro), 4th chapter = skill line.

If they don't do spellcrafting this next chapter and instead opt for something more similar to Psijic Order then I pretty much give up on that idea. This is the best time to implement something like that after all the changes they made. Skyrim and the non destroyed College of Winterhold is perfect to introduce the idea of spellcrafting. If it doesn't happen, I think it's safe to assume it won't ever happen. I would be happy to see a new hybrid weapon line instead, easy enough if it just uses 1handed weapons to avoid new motifs already present with something new for the offhand. Could just be an effect...

All that being said, they did lose my continued interest in 2019. I spent more time on the forums and getting excited to read or try out the new major patches than actually playing between them. They've done a lot of work and I apreciate it, I just feel like moving on to their end goal because the in between is a bit murky.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you read the patch notes, @loyalhabsfan ... a lot of players don’t.

Just for that you get an awesome.
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But StamDKs got a rock! Class Identity!
    JPEG_20190917_144603.jpg
  • AngeredDaisy2
    AngeredDaisy2
    ✭✭
    You are not alone. Vet trial teams are falling apart, everything is broken it seems this patch. The game is nearly unplayable due to the sheer volume of DC's and lag. Combat did a 180 again. Templars have been fixed to unviable in most PvE content due to severe sustain issues. "Class identity" reeks of copy paste powers with different color animations and absolutely nothing like class identity. Most people are finding other things to do than play this game this patch. By week 3 of the PTS forums all the current complaints were brought up and promptly ignored. So welcome to dragonhold patch. Where discontent and abject disappointment are about the only consistent reaction across the board.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh thank goodness you finally posted! I've been refreshing this forum every day since Dragonhold dropped looking for your post about your thoughts on it. I literally have not slept since. But I can FINALLY sleep now! So thank you for posting your thoughts on Dragonhold!
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank goodness you finally posted! I've been refreshing this forum every day since Dragonhold dropped looking for your post about your thoughts on it. I literally have not slept since. But I can FINALLY sleep now! So thank you for posting your thoughts on Dragonhold!

Oh i had a similar sentiment about your comment here, thank you so much!
    ;p
    Edited by Demra on November 20, 2019 7:56PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    But StamDKs got a rock! Class Identity!
    JPEG_20190917_144603.jpg

It would be unfair to say the rock is the reason class identity for stamDk feels weak, you can ignore the rock and slot d.swing like everybody else already does. There are a lot of other things involved.

Things such as dot cost increases, damage nerfs, corrosive nerf,wings nerf, massive SnB/2h weapon skill nerfs, and also the really disappointing buff attempt with igneous weapons.

There's also the fact that 3 classes out of 6 has a purge now and classes that used to struggle with dots due to poor healing (nb,sorc) now don't because they now have healing.

So stamDK is effectively back at being a tank class that excels at killing really, really bad players.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 20, 2019 7:57PM
  • DR4GONFL1
    DR4GONFL1
    ✭✭✭✭

Next time remember when you cough, yawn or burp, it's considered polite to cover your mouth.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Demra wrote: »

Oh i had a similar sentiment about your comment here, thank you so much!
    ;p

Now we just need JaRule to chime in on this, so we can all sleep at night knowing his opinion. Where is Ja???
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having fun in this game feels like a full time job

Yes it does, unfortunately.
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having fun in this game feels like a full time job

Yes it does, unfortunately.

Clearly have not played other mmorpgs. If ESO is a full time job you would be dead from a lack of sleep on just about every other mmorpg lmao. ESO? Nothing much daily, just don’t play if you don’t want to. There’s no need for hardcore dailies like in Archeage or the grind you have to do on WoW. ESO? Sets are relatively easy. When the patch sucks you can just log on and do writs if you even want to do that and log off. Events are easy enough to complete and if you don’t lose much for not playing even if you take a month long break. Play when you have fun is the key for enjoying ESO :)
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hardly a large wall of text and the OP had a lot more interesting to say than you did
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been waiting since beta for a post like this Goregrinder. I have literally re-read your post a thousand times and have a print out in my bathroom so I can read it whilst on the water closet. Such pure literary magnificence of a magnitude never before seen. Thank you, thank you. Please post more!
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a handful of nonconstructive comments that were derailing the thread. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and civil when posting. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SoixanteNeuf
    SoixanteNeuf
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the game was the most fun in Elsweyr - everything felt somewhat balanced/fast/fun. Only a few things seemed imbalanced, like pirate skeleton/lingering health pots.

Scalebreaker and Dragonhold were disasters in my opinion - nothing warranted such drastic meta changes and a lot of PvPers left because of these swings.

As for this patch:

Healing was buffed in Scalebreaker to compensate for the overall damage increase but in Dragonhold, dots and some direct damage like dizzy swing were nerfed while healing remain unchanged - resulting in an overall net gain for healing = more stalemates/slower gameplay.

Streak cost-reduction/Matriarch buff were terrible and poorly thought out decisions.

Also, I think the devs seem keen on slowing this game down, which is a shame - given that the mechanics offer a higher skill ceiling/faster gameplay that's similar to Dark Souls, which requires a more predictive mindset to survive, versus reactionary.

Sure, a faster meta is not "new" player friendly but it does reward people that bother to stick around to learn the game/mechanics, as do most MMOs.

Edited by SoixanteNeuf on November 25, 2019 4:38PM
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭

Also, I think the devs seem keen on slowing this game down, which is a shame - given that the mechanics offer a higher skill ceiling/faster gameplay that's similar to Dark Souls, which requires a more predictive mindset to survive, versus reactionary.

Sure, a faster meta is not "new" player friendly but it does reward people that bother to stick around to learn the game/mechanics, as do most MMOs.

I agree. I think the combat system of this game is the main reason primary PvPers stick around despite everything else. If they are truly trying to slow the game down to cater to a more casual player base (who likely still wouldn't PvP all too much anyways) it would be a shame.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have been waiting since beta for a post like this Goregrinder. I have literally re-read your post a thousand times and have a print out in my bathroom so I can read it whilst on the water closet. Such pure literary magnificence of a magnitude never before seen. Thank you, thank you. Please post more!

You are welcome my son, you have been chosen to receive my divine wisdom. Not take this gift, and utilize it wisely.
  • loyalhabsfan
    loyalhabsfan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to those of you that have chimed in, even though it's a somewhat 'down' post, it does make me feel a little better that it's not just me feeling this way. Thanks.