The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cast time on class ultimates

• jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why does Incap have a cast time but not Onslaught? Why does Dawnbreaker have a cast time but not Dragon Leap?

Not only are cast times detrimental to fun, fast-paced combat, they are completely inconsistent with how they've been implemented.

Onslaught has a cast time, and leap has a travel time, so it's basically also got a cast time, just you commit to the ult, rather than having it be cancelled.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does Incap have a cast time but not Onslaught? Why does Dawnbreaker have a cast time but not Dragon Leap?

Not only are cast times detrimental to fun, fast-paced combat, they are completely inconsistent with how they've been implemented.

Onslaught does have a cast time...leap has a minimum travel time...
    Pleaae get informed before posting wrong information.
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    defending leap is a joke. a cast time cant be compared with a travel time no matter the way you look at it + leap as kept the invisible unavoidable 1s snare + aoe increase to make SURE you cant in anyway avoid it. you can only block it.

also latency issues helps leap soo much that this particular skill shouldnt be mentioned at all.

beside that cast time on nightblades and generics but not other classes is unfair. even the defensive ult has a cast time.

are nightblade generic? probably.

still cast times on ults like they are now are unfair. argue whatever way you want.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Onslaught has a cast time.

Dragon leap has a travel time.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OK well regardless, Onslaught feels much smoother and is easier to land than Incap and Dragon Leap's travel time is not comparable to a cast time when it is undodgeable.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What class do you play OP?
    PC EU
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK well regardless, Onslaught feels much smoother and is easier to land than Incap and Dragon Leap's travel time is not comparable to a cast time when it is undodgeable.

As a stamnb main, 2 things come to my mind: "I agree" and "yikes"
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unironically this is a nerf leap thread now. Because Its unacceptable for DKs to have something that nightblades don't.

I'm sure Gilliam will agree.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to lie, in the beginning I hated the cast time on DBoS, but now I have gotten good at faking out people with it and I am much more of a threat now. Nothing like making someone block and dodge roll prematurely.
    PvP needs more love.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Care to elaborate?
    Unironically this is a nerf leap thread now. Because Its unacceptable for DKs to have something that nightblades don't.

I don't want to nerf Leap, it's exactly how an ultimate should be. I simply want other ultis to be up to that standard.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In typical ZeniMax fashion they acknowledge that the majority of the community dislikes the change but have decided to do nothing if for no other reason than to be stubborn.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on November 20, 2019 10:04PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We added cast times so there is counter play; we felt that having 3-4 abilities hitting you at once, including an Ultimate, is just too much.

If this is their reasoning, Soul Siphon should absolutely be reverted. It's a defense only ultimate that provides a group burst heal. It's useless right now as it will only go off either when you don't need it or when it's too late.

None of the other defensive ultimates were touched like Barrier, Light's Champion, Negate (heal morph), Warden's Tree ultimate, etc.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Care to elaborate?

I don't want to nerf Leap, it's exactly how an ultimate should be. I simply want other ultis to be up to that standard.

I agree that the cast time on incap is the shittiest, somehow it just feels worse. I guess becuase it's tied to giving free cc immnutity ti your opponent if it is casted above 120 ult.

Yikes because after 5 months you don't know that also onslaught has a cast time, and that "regardless" really seems like you only care to make your point and not argue it with valid statements. Yikes.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Care to elaborate?

I agree that the cast time on incap is the shittiest, somehow it just feels worse. I guess becuase it's tied to giving free cc immnutity ti your opponent if it is casted above 120 ult.

Yikes because after 5 months you don't know that also onslaught has a cast time, and that "regardless" really seems like you only care to make your point and not argue it with valid statements. Yikes.

OK, so I was a little misinformed because it honestly doesn't feel like Onslaught has much of a cast time compared to Incap or DB.

Does that make my entire opinion that ultis shouldn't have cast times and should be on par with Leap invalid? Maybe in your opinion. There is no need to be so condescending.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    because their all hell biased, cast ultis is literally the reason why i will never relog again!
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    that and the consecutive horrible radical changes in the last year
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say keep the cast time on Onslaught. The animation is not obvious at all and it hits extremely hard for a moderate cost. Before the cast time change, someone could dodge-cancel Onslaught and you didn't even know it happened until you saw it on your death recap. No opportunity to counter without seeing the future.

Dawnbreaker suffers more because it has a very obvious animation.. it's too easy to counter now. Maybe cut the cast time in half and speed up the animation?

Incap has a very obvious audio queue, making it quite easy to counter as well. On top of the silence change.. this poor ult.

Another example of across-the-board standardization of skills maybe not being the best idea. Seems like they already drew that conclusion with DoTs (not really standardized at all anymore). Ult cast times should also be revisited and adjusted on an individual basis. I'm not calling for all-out removal because I see the reasoning behind it and it makes sense to me, even though my own gameplay does suffer.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time ults are among the worst changes to be implemented into this game in years. It is actually infuriating being forced to use these gimped abilities in a laggy, broken game where they land about half the time.

There was PLENTY of counterplay to EVERY ult before this change, zenimax literally used flat data with no player feedback to decide this was the route to take. They're just trying to make the game easier for players that dont care at all about combat and honestly, that sucks.

This needs to be reverted so badly.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Adding cast times to Ultimates appears to be a change most people here have reacted negatively to. Why are these cast times being added? What issue is the team attempting to solve with this change?
    Ultimate abilities are some of the most powerful abilities in the game. We added cast times so there is counter play; we felt that having 3-4 abilities hitting you at once, including an Ultimate, is just too much. You also can’t animation cancel them because we don’t want players to be able to instantly cast them anymore. They are just too powerful.

There you go. That’s why. Too powerful. Didn’t have counter play.

Then why didn't they put it on Radial Sweep?
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    They still have cast times on all the AoE abilities right?
    I’m really not a big fan of any of the cast times tbh.
    I kept an open mind because they said it would be more friendly for new players but if it is I don’t see how.
    I think they also said they added the cast time to help “bridge the experience gap” what that really means is give people a chance to cheap shot you with a CC.
    I usually wind up dying when it glitches out and you literally can’t cast the abilities which is ridiculous.
    Again... so many more productive and effective ways to solve this perceived issue then the way it was handled.