The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

vMA lightning staff question

kind_hero
kind_hero
✭✭✭✭✭
I was lucky enough to get a vMA infused destro staff, but it is lightning.
I use it on my non-pet magsorc back bar, since the sorc is themed around lightning. I really like that.

But I understand that lightning staff is not optimal, the inferno is the best to have. However I don't have it yet.
Is there such a big dps difference? Is it worth keeping over a 5 piece set?
[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's even more worth it now after the huge wall of elements nerfs since the damage of the skill itself is not that important anymore and it's mainly used for proccing enchants & light attack boost. Even an ice staff is better than no vMA staff.
    Edited by MrBrownstone on November 10, 2019 12:30PM
  • DarkShadowFax
    DarkShadowFax
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would prefer to backbar any kind of vma staff over no vma staff, so long as I properly weave light attacks (if you don't then the vma staff is kinda useless)
    PC-NA | vCragHM | vDSA | Flawless | vMoLHM | vHoFHM | IR | GH | Unchained | vSSHM | DB | Spirit Slayer | vRGHM | vDSR | PvP Scrub
    • Zookeeper Sarena | Magicka Sorcerer
    • Sarena Shadow-Claws | Stamina Nightblade
    • Sarena the Dancer | Templar Healer
    • Sarena Greenheart | Warden Healer
    • Sarena Likes Hiding | Nightblade Healer
    • Sarena Chases Bears | Stamina Warden
    • Sarena Robs Graves | Necromancer Healer
    • Sarena's Warning | Magicka Templar
    • Saint Sarena | Magicka Nightblade
    • Sarena Tail-Chaser | Magicka Dragonknight
    • Sarena Likes Bones | Stamina Necromancer
    • Sarena War-Wolf | Dragonknight Tank
    • Sarena Stormcaller | Sorcerer Healer
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never trash it, minor vulnerability is easier to get then ever before, but I foresee ZOS changing a lot of the interactions for passives in the coming updates. With a CP rework on the horizon and class identity on their mind more then ever before, I think they will eventually start looking at the issue involving Flame beating out Frost and Shock even for Sorcs and Wardens.

What clues me in on this is the recent upgrade from 6% frost/magicka damage to 10% for Wardens. Sorc's and Wardens SHOULD be more proficiant with their element. CP normalizes the differences in damage types between all classes and these passives are too weak to make a difference, if that power goes back to classes we could 1 day see Wardens using frost wall for optimal DPS, etc. Now they could of done this as a bandaid for Warden because maybe they were too far behind in dps tests they did for the patch, but I didn't see anyone ask for this (besides myself) and it really does make Warden's specialization more prominent imo.

They did something similar with Necro from 10% to 15% dot damage. I hope they continue in this direction.

But yeah, since Wall of Elements isn't that strong anyway, the damage loss isn't huge between Flame and Shock. If you play a lot of solo, then Shock is pretty useful for minor vulnerability and off balance, it also means more sustain if you like to heavy attack.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on November 11, 2019 2:14AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be worse. I've had ice VMA staffs for years. Dozens of them.

Hold me.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id trade ya a fire one for a lightning if i could :|
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 3kk parse is 37k with vma lightning. Make sure to build your sorc around AoE skills in this case.
    Not that good in trials, due to insane HP single target fights, but superior in dungeons.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    my 3kk parse is 37k with vma lightning. Make sure to build your sorc around AoE skills in this case.
    Not that good in trials, due to insane HP single target fights, but superior in dungeons.

I like the AoE approach :) Do you have any gear/build/cp recommandations?
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're playing a 4-man easy dungeon maybe go Grothdar for monster set. Big AOE damage.
    Iceheart if you're doing a tougher trial and need the shield to help stay alive.
    If you're a typical LA weaver then maybe Perfected False God (for sustain) combined with your favorite damage set.
    I'm a heavy attack build so I use Undaunted Infiltrator, Infallible Aether, and the Shock Maelstrom staff (Infused) back-bar with UI staff front bar (berserker) both shock glyph.
    For people who have a hard time even swapping bars due to disability, age, etc. You can ditch the monster set and do 1-bar with the maelstrom staff and do UI shoulders and head to still get that full set benefit. You'll keep your 3 big buffs to HA damage and not have to swap bars. Just use your WOE skill and heavy attack away while still doing average damage. (Enough for most content) and you won't have any sustain issues at all.
    Heavy attacking, with the right passive skills, is the best AOE in the game with the sets mentioned above. WOE is AOE. Boundless storm is AOE + defensive buff + speed. Lightning Flood is AOE and you don't have to worry about cost on a heavy attack build because sustain will never be an issue. And Iceheart or Grothdar are also AOE. It's easy to solo group dungeons and most normal 4-man dungeons with the setup above because of such high AOE damage. Single target probably isn't as high as fire, or LA weavers, but it's a fun and easy way to play. It all depends on how you enjoy playing. Pick your skills and play style you like and tailor gear, CP, Mundus, and food around that.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    my post here, bar and rotation too, scroll a bit:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6445290/#Comment_6445290

You can try to look Alcast pet sorc heavy rotation build around lightning stave. Gear is different, more crit meta like. Pros is that you can switch to meta spamable build at any time.
    Edited by mocap on November 12, 2019 7:18AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning vMA is fine. You'll be hard-pressed to find a difference in DPS between fire and lightning vMA staves, particularly for a sorc.

Lightning's wall damage is buffed by the sorc passive, while fire's wall damage is buffed by Engulfing and by burning procs. But given how little damage wall itself does these days, the advantage here for the fire staff is mostly inconsequential.

The other benefit for the fire staff is that light attacks from the back bar get the 8% single-target bonus for fire staves. But given today's long-duration ground dots and heavy reliance on spammables, the percentage of light attacks that come from your back bar is a lot lower than what it used to be.

Using a fire vMA staff over a lightning vMA staff, particularly for a sorc, is a pretty small optimization. Go ahead and use a fire staff if you have it. But it really does not matter.
    Edited by code65536 on November 12, 2019 7:42AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it on my non-pet magsorc back bar, since the sorc is themed around lightning. I really like that.

But I understand that lightning staff is not optimal, the inferno is the best to have. However I don't have it yet.

Yeah, if your other 5pc set has a persistent buff, when you bar swap, it can be really useful. You can use lightning instead of inferno until you get it, but there's applications for a lightning staff on sorc builds, so you're still good.
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

Honestly, if you build for AOE, it is likely that you will not be able to sustain it. I would just substitute your Lightning VMA for an Inferno in the build that you are currently using.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are countless ways to sustain it. You just have to use the tools the dev. gives you. That means sacrificing something else in your build so you can balance sustain with damage. Or heavy attack a lot like I do and never worry about sustain ever.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the difference between fire and lightning is like 1-2k on a 6 mill, at most. However, if you are a sorc, it's more like 1k at most. So of all classes to be, you could definitely get by using lightning and it's 100% better than using another 5 pc so don't worry. you're good. just farm vma at your own pace and if you ever get a fire staff, cool! otherwise stick with what you got.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Back bar lightning is excellent. At least for pve, which is my focus.

Ultimately it depends on your build.