The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does dungeon difficulty affect drop rates?

Alag
Alag
My friend is trying to farm fire staff, which can drop only in City of Ash I & II. Will he have more chance to drop it, if he will run City of Ash II for example or if he will run veteran difficulties? It means City of Ash II on Veteran?

We're considering if farming it in City of Ash I on normal as it is the fastest is better or worse than do City of Ash II on veteran. It would be slower, but with higher chance to get it?
Edited by Alag on November 9, 2019 2:22PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve seen the inferno staff drop maybe 5 times in total, from the final boss vCoA1, and from chests in CoA1 and vCoA1. It’s very random.

I’ve never seen it drop in CoA2 at all

I would recommend more trips to CoA normal, over vCoA2... the more instances you do, the more chests you’ll find and the more bosses you’ll face.

Best of luck
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are better off getting a staff from the other set worn, like mother's sorrow. It may be more expensive if you decide to buy it, but as least you can do so.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of a couple outliers (like some Craglorn trials sets) difficulty has no effect on drop rates.

So farming normal CoA I is your best bet.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/313726/does-a-sharpened-inferno-bsw-staff-drop-in-city-of-ash-1-normal/p1

No I'm NOT making the point that you opened double post, I'm just pointing you to also check comments there, maybe you will find some answers.
    Edited by RefLiberty on November 9, 2019 2:50PM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The one benefit of farming on vet vs normal is that chest quality is better. Simple chests, which only sometimes have a set piece, will show up in normal dungeons whereas on vet you'll get at least intermediate. If vet runs would be smooth enough, I'd suggest doing those for that reason alone.

A friend and I two-manned vCoA1 over and over and over trying to find her that inferno staff. So many runs, so many BSW sashes I could have made all my characters into mummies with the fabric. Then CoA2 pledge rolled around, we did it, and BAM, I got the staff on final boss drop. So it does drop in CoA2 as well, but you're better off running CoA due to the time commitment difference between the two.
    Edited by heaven13 on November 9, 2019 3:13PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Alag
    Alag
    Oki guys, thank you a lot!

All of the answers helped me a lot!
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont think there is a difference at all. Drop rates are the same for vet and normal difficulty, only the quality changes.

For me it has dropped only 2 times. Once in the last boss of vCoA2 and once in a chest in vCoA1.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficulty doesn't affect drop chances.

But if you are farming, remember the weapons etc. are also part of the trash mob loot tables... kill everything!
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    Difficulty doesn't affect drop chances.

But if you are farming, remember the weapons etc. are also part of the trash mob loot tables... kill everything!

I got mines from a scamp so can vouch for this!
    Edited by Parrot1986 on November 9, 2019 7:27PM
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    No difference in drop rates. Only a difference in quality. And unfortunately there is no relation between how difficult the dungeon is and the relative worth of the gear that drops in it. I’m very supportive of the work Zenimax has done on the game and I think it’s a great game but they are missing the boat on this one. Add to this the dps gap between trials and dungeon gear and there is little incentive to run the hard dungeons. I enjoy them for their beautiful design and the challenging gameplay but a lot of players need more than that. They are really hurting their own game here by not incentivizing players to be more interested in running them.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looted mine on normal. So I would say no difficulty does not make a difference.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually got two BSW inferno staffs to drop in one run. (On normal)

First one dropped from a pack of mobs...the ones around all the tents.

Second one dropped from the boss.

Was able to keep one and give the other to a guildie.

My RNG has never been as good, and probably never will be again.