The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvE PetSorc Healing - Surge or Matriarch

cal50
cal50
✭✭✭
Hey guys,

After returning to the game, I have some problems with my magpetsorc's healing sustain.

At old Times, I never used Twilight matriarch. So my question is should I use crit Surge or Twilight matriarch for better self healing? I'm asking for mainly solo content (solo bosses, skyreach etc.)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you intend to deal damage I’d go with crit surge and Twilight Tormentor. The Matriarch deals half the damage of the Tormentor, and is really only used by dedicated healer Sorcs.
  • cal50
    cal50
    ✭✭✭
    If you intend to deal damage I’d go with crit surge and Twilight Tormentor. The Matriarch deals half the damage of the Tormentor, and is really only used by dedicated healer Sorcs.

I see. So you are saying matriarch is unnecessary for DD sorcs?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cal50 wrote: »

I see. So you are saying matriarch is unnecessary for DD sorcs?

Yes, it’s more for healing others. Crit surge + Ward is better for keeping yourself alive.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, don’t cast the Tormentor’s active ability, it is weak. Just summon it and let it passively deal damage.
  • cal50
    cal50
    ✭✭✭
    Also, don’t cast the Tormentor’s active ability, it is weak. Just summon it and let it passively deal damage.

Thank you. I was using inner light on 2 bars for its passive. I'll change and try with tormentor + crit surge then.
  • deLioncourt
    deLioncourt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a heavy attack petsorc build on mine and I use the twilight plus the self-heal surge.

For all but the hardest Vet Content(trials/DLC dungeons), you don't even need a healer. My DD petsorc can heal the group with the Twilight just fine. On a perfect dps rotation I can pull about 45k dps while covering the role of healer. I did try using out the Tormentor for a while and while my dps did go up by like 5k on average, keeping me above 50k, once the boss hits below 50%, I found it useless.

I switched back to the Twilight for the heal capability. That's just me though. Group utility, IMO, is more my playstyle than straight dps. I like being able to dish out good dps and keep my group alive.

MVP for sure, but I just can't quite reach those 60k-80k parses I see people bragging about.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, if you’re solo the matriarch is overkill. Any of the pet heals is good enough for solo.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    I switched back to the Twilight for the heal capability. That's just me though. Group utility, IMO, is more my playstyle than straight dps. I like being able to dish out good dps and keep my group alive.
    This is where I am right now. Maybe it's because I mostly heal or tank, but I will absolutely put the group above personal heroics, and I'm not at the point where I'm in groups that just mow down vet trials. On an nCR+3 run, my sorc got 4th place in both DPS and healing (I was on the portal team). And, you know, we won. I'm OK with that. I also like the flexibility of being able to solo, do a 4-DPS dungeon (or one with a bad PUG healer), etc. with more safety.

For similar reasons, my stamcro has two nearly identical setups, except one has Detonating Siphon + Reverse Slice and the other has Ruinous Scythe + Brawler. It's easier, because it's not a morph choice in this case, so I can play more self-sufficient or lean on the group depending on how things feel.
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • cal50
    cal50
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a heavy attack petsorc build on mine and I use the twilight plus the self-heal surge.

For all but the hardest Vet Content(trials/DLC dungeons), you don't even need a healer. My DD petsorc can heal the group with the Twilight just fine. On a perfect dps rotation I can pull about 45k dps while covering the role of healer. I did try using out the Tormentor for a while and while my dps did go up by like 5k on average, keeping me above 50k, once the boss hits below 50%, I found it useless.

MVP for sure, but I just can't quite reach those 60k-80k parses I see people bragging about.

So what you think about Lighting Flood? Is this still viable for PetSorcs?
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    surge for the HoT and matriarch for burst heal (very strong at low health)
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i still use it works well
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i still use it works well

"Viable" is a broad term. Will you be able to kill things with it, yes, is it the absolute best damage for the magic it takes to cast? No. Not even close.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How to stay alive while soloing as a MagSorc:

1. Keep your ward up.
    2. Keep Critical Surge up. This will heal you 3300 every second while doing critical damage...which means it's VERY useful to maximize the amount of crit in your build and keep doing damage. Critical Surge will also provide Major Sorcery, which increases your Spell Damage 20%...which leads to number 3:
    3. Having a skill source of Major Sorcery means instead of Spell Power pots you can use Spell Critical pots (Columbine, Lady's Smock, Water Hyacinth), which in addition to increasing crit/magicka/magicka recover, both restore health and will give you Major Fortitude, increasing your heath recovery by 20%.
    4. Include Structured Entropy in your rotation and use it often. While up this will give you another 1.1k (approx) health every 2 seconds.

Do this and you can basically forget about dying...unless, of course, you get an absurd 1 shot by some beast.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still upset that the Matriarch gets 2 full heals while Templar BOL get 1 full and 1 at 35%.
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Still upset that the Matriarch gets 2 full heals while Templar BOL get 1 full and 1 at 35%.

BoL is cone frontal, so you can a bit direct where your heal lands. Hows the Matriach heal?
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    IMO it should, since Sorcs are quite lacking in terms of their group healing toolkit.

So you have only the Matriarch and Power Surge to work with?
    Whereas Templar has as entire class skill line dedicated to healing abilities.
    Fiewiel wrote: »
    BoL is cone frontal, so you can a bit direct where your heal lands. Hows the Matriach heal?
    IIRC it's omnidirectional, following the same rules as Rapid Regen "smart heal" targeting?

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with giving Socrcs a entire class skill line for healing. Make the entire Daedric Summoning a healing skill line but that would not go over well with most people. Even the DK's Obsidian Shard heals 2 full amounts as well but that requires a target to use.