Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to counter ballista?

Mariusghost84
Mariusghost84
✭✭✭✭✭
When someone pops ballista or that other morph of bow ultimate, is it possible to Dodge or block the damage?
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    Break line of sight with a pillar or something or roll dodge roll dodging negates the damage for most of the roll, I have not tryed blocking and I do not remember people blocking, people roll dodge and I roll dodge too.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bock or roll.

Do NOT try to cloak it if you are a nb.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. Technically yes, but not likely. You'll be feared if blocking and if you dodge roll you'll take the full damage and can still be feared. By the time you'll be allowed to break free you'll already be getting tea bagged.

LoS won't work unless it's something as large as a keep. Not guaranteed.

Best you can hope for is that it's not invisible and/or get health desynced.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on November 2, 2019 7:31AM
    PC EU
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll. Find cover. Any little rock between you and the caster/ballista can interrupt the cast.

I run the poison morph so I can follow people around obstacles, because it's very easy to LoS. I always place a stun beforehand.

You are immune while roll dodging. Look for a cover. Blocking is also an option, but against the ballista you may be hit by a stun/fear.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Im gonna try to do that from now on :)
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Roll dodging works like a charm also breaking line of sight or getting out of range of it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much of the advice in this thread is imperative to survival in this games PvP. Much of the threads calling for nerfs to skills because someone died to the skill in PvP are cases where these suggestions were not used or not used very well.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    Roll. Find cover. Any little rock between you and the caster/ballista can interrupt the cast.

I run the poison morph so I can follow people around obstacles, because it's very easy to LoS. I always place a stun beforehand.

You are immune while roll dodging. Look for a cover. Blocking is also an option, but against the ballista you may be hit by a stun/fear.

With the new roll dodging lag feature you just take the damage to your face. You dont mitigate the damage until after the dodge now, so that's a death sentence by an already often invisible, and dysyncing skill. HOTs while blocking does the job every time for me even outnumbered. Honestly every class should be able to block at least for a few seconds in a fight now due to this skill, and the prevalence of meta plars running their channels paired with instant ulti dumps. Both of these I handle by blocking their combo that they expect to melt me down to execute range, then hitting them quick before they can reset their combos. LOS best option if you have a decent sized sturdy wall or rock to get around
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on November 2, 2019 4:37PM
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two consecutive rolls should avoid most if not all the damage. Watch out for fear though. Going behind cover will NOT stop the damage from ballista morph. Only block if you have good blocking passives, roll is more effective otherwise.
    PC NA - EP Solo PvP Player
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pelicaneso
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll behind wall or Mistform
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stood in it last time some fool hit me with it. Whipped him once and his health MELTED. Lol. I healed up after he died.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone that actually wants to learn how to counter an ability instead of instantly crying for nerfs? I can't believe this.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    Someone that actually wants to learn how to counter an ability instead of instantly crying for nerfs? I can't believe this.

I wish more with the same attitude starts showing up. :)

• Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »

Yeah i needed help as this ability always seem to kill me. Often i have nothing to hind behind, and even though i block the dmg is pretty big and i end up dying. Is this btw considered a "noob skill"? I never see "good players" use it, if you know hat i mean?
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah i needed help as this ability always seem to kill me. Often i have nothing to hind behind, and even though i block the dmg is pretty big and i end up dying. Is this btw considered a "noob skill"? I never see "good players" use it, if you know hat i mean?

That is because most stam players dont really go ranged or the fact that if you are in melee range, ults like onslaught or dbos are generally better. No one uses dw ult, but is it considered a noob skill?
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, after so many nerfs to so many ultimates, there often are just choices on what is the least bad sort of. And Ballista imo is not a "noob skill", it is not that cheap and as said, it can be LoS avoided and mitigated, of course it does decent damage if takes it to the face completely.

Just that any such ultimate is sort of only dangerous if you are already low enough on hp or not much resources left to mitigate.

Good test is try using Ballista yourself, you can see good players not get destroyed by it, not unless your burst combo, CC and timing goes well also. Using something often teaches when you see how others fight against it and learning from that.

But yeah, sort of depends on your setup/playstyle, very hard to give one perfect advice, always depends on situation, goal, if its 1vs1 or battleground where you have to stay on flag and so on. Personally not got problems with that skill, depends on character i play with how i deal with them, with some i can burst the enemy dead while they are using it, just gotta hit harder than the enemy does. Or tactical retreat and come back when they spent it (same as for any heavy hitting DoT/channel ulti). :p

I did meet you on battlegrounds the other day couple times, avoid overextending on the open, positioning means a lot. With some LoS objects between you and enemies always helps and keeping some near, like after you taken a flag, no need to stand on the flag but can go stay near some platform that can use as LoS when/if need comes but so that always fast to hit on the target area. It just comes with time and practice. Good luck and have fun! :)
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, after so many nerfs to so many ultimates, there often are just choices on what is the least bad sort of. And Ballista imo is not a "noob skill", it is not that cheap and as said, it can be LoS avoided and mitigated, of course it does decent damage if takes it to the face completely.

Just that any such ultimate is sort of only dangerous if you are already low enough on hp or not much resources left to mitigate.

Good test is try using Ballista yourself, you can see good players not get destroyed by it, not unless your burst combo, CC and timing goes well also. Using something often teaches when you see how others fight against it and learning from that.

But yeah, sort of depends on your setup/playstyle, very hard to give one perfect advice, always depends on situation, goal, if its 1vs1 or battleground where you have to stay on flag and so on. Personally not got problems with that skill, depends on character i play with how i deal with them, with some i can burst the enemy dead while they are using it, just gotta hit harder than the enemy does. Or tactical retreat and come back when they spent it (same as for any heavy hitting DoT/channel ulti). :p

I did meet you on battlegrounds the other day couple times, avoid overextending on the open, positioning means a lot. With some LoS objects between you and enemies always helps and keeping some near, like after you taken a flag, no need to stand on the flag but can go stay near some platform that can use as LoS when/if need comes but so that always fast to hit on the target area. It just comes with time and practice. Good luck and have fun! :)

Very solid advice. I will try it out myself and see the results. Thanks for taking time to write all that. :)
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    Concerning LoS, recently I've been hit by the Templar Spear through objects, like outpost pillars, trees etc. Another bug in this game, long list that is..
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When someone pops ballista or that other morph of bow ultimate, is it possible to Dodge or block the damage?

Or just vigor + quick cloak(major protection brp dw) rally and you should b fine.
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its in lag, whatever your respawn button is. Its the X button on PS4.