The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How Do I Survive in Light Armor on Magcro? (PVP)

seitekisaki
seitekisaki
✭✭✭
Hey, I'm a returning player and I just constantly find myself getting gimped before I can start the fight in battlegrounds and in CP Cyrodiil.
Here are my specs:
High Elf
21k hp in PvP
635 cp
5 Brightthroat all impen
5 Crafty Lightning staff/Resto and jewelry or Swift.
1 Grothdar light armor
1 Molag Kena light armor

I don't have undaunted or a 2 piece monster helm yet.

My bar is:
Force Pulse, Invigorating Drain, Deaden Pain, Stalking Blast Bones, Spirit Guardian. ult is Glacial Colossus
Degeneration, Resistant Flesh, Dampen Magic, Summoners Armor, Mist Form, ult is Animate Blast bones/Ravenous Goliath

For Champion Points, my defensive tree (the red one) has:
18 Quick Recovery, 37 Ele Defend, 43 Hardy, 37 Thick skin, 43 Resistant, 34 Ironclad.

I usually die before getting to even buff up and attack. I run around with my armor buff, spirit guardian and dampen on all the time. Dead pain even gives major protection when I can I use it so that is 30% spirit guardian is 10 % I'm 15k spell and 13k physical resist in light armor and sometimes I run swift so that is 10 %. And I die rather fast. I have tried all I could so I'm asking what to do.

Best Answers

• Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm a returning player and I just constantly find myself getting gimped before I can start the fight in battlegrounds and in CP Cyrodiil.
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:
    Force Pulse, Invigorating Drain, Deaden Pain, Stalking Blast Bones, Spirit Guardian. ult is Glacial Colossus
    Degeneration, Resistant Flesh, Dampen Magic, Summoners Armor, Mist Form, ult is Animate Blast bones/Ravenous Goliath

18 Quick Recovery, 37 Ele Defend, 43 Hardy, 37 Thick skin, 43 Resistant, 34 Ironclad.

I usually die before getting to even buff up and attack. I run around with my armor buff, spirit guardian and dampen on all the time. Dead pain even gives major protection when I can I use it so that is 30% spirit guardian is 10 % I'm 15k spell and 13k physical resist in light armor and sometimes I run swift so that is 10 %. And I die rather fast. I have tried all I could so I'm asking what to do.

I think it's just your health and resistances.

Eventually spec a few points into phy and spell resistance.

I'd try Blood Spawn but if you don't have that it's not a big deal; two 1 piece monster sets with the Armor buff gives you 100% up time on basically the same resistance values you just don't get stam recovery and ulti gen.

Not sure which drink you're using, presumably either; eyeball, or witch mothers, but you might try double bloody mara/the new one or spring loaded infusion.

I still use SwordnBoard on my back bar with a fire staff Fb.

I use to run either resistant flesh or renewing undeath but once you're comfortable with the build you might find you don't need to, but that might change this patch.

Try to keep in mind when you're playing too as vampire you're taking 25% more fire damage, plus Templars have that vampire bane thing, and the fighters guild passives. There's a lot of vampire cheese damage in PvP so keep that in mind if you randomly find huge chunks of your health are vanishing.

I've run two light sets since release without dampen magic and don't have issues; dueling, BGs, Sewers, or Cyrodiil.

It's a hard class to play honestly, it takes practice, but right now it's pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole for PvP classes.
    Answer ✓
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings noble traveler! I have been playing magcro a bunch lately and I'd be happy to tell you how I survive. First of all how many pieces of impenetrable gear are you running? In pvp I consider 2800 critical resistance a bare minimum, without critical resistance you will surely be vaporized, I run 7x impen on every build, this is the best pvp armor trait by miles.

Aside from that It seems your resistances are a little low for sponging damage, right now the best way to jack up your resistances without sacrificing other parts of your build is use 2x one piece defensive monster sets, you can use one pieces of lord warden, mighty chudan, and pirate skeleton, the protective jewelery triat is also a good consideration.

Aside from that it is important to create a rotation that is sustainable, your defensive skills are solid, however you would benefit greatly from one strong HoT, I reccomend slotting either rapid regeneration, or morphing your mender to intensive mender, this gives you more corpses and more major protection uptime.

Personally I cycle rapid regeneration, intensive mender, expunge, and deaden pain and it feels very survivable!
    Answer ✓
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

Here's what I recommend:
    -More ironclad and less hardy and elemental defender. You would want 61/66 ironclad by max cp. Also do not go above 37 hardy/ele due to diminishing returns. You don't need a lot of thick as well because dots are weak now and you can purge them too. 37/40 is a good number to stop at.
    -More HP. 21k with battle spirit is too little and you will get one shotted easily. You will want 24k at the bare minimum, i recommend at least 25k. Easy to achieve with more tri stat glyphs.
    -A defensive 2 pc. A good all-rounder defensive 2 pc is bloodspawn, also helps with your stam sustain which is crucial for surviving. More team-based defensive 2pcs are earthgore and troll king.

Unrelated to defense, but i recommend:
    -Changing force pulse to crushing. The interrupt is way more useful in pvp than the aoe.
    -Try acc drain over invigorating. 5 ult/s might look good but take note you only get it when channelling and after 1s of channel start. The additional mobility might help with surv and the dps of acc drain is also really high, comparable to spamming crushing shock and goes through block/roll.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Pelican on November 2, 2019 6:52PM
    PC NA - EP Solo PvP Player
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pelicaneso
    Answer ✓
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor and no defensive set and 21k is low on health which means your shield will be limited in size. Might be too new if you don't have a monster set to try to run as a glass cannon build. I dont even know if that works as magcro anyway even if experienced unless a guild is protecting them for the uti bomb.
    Edited by technohic on November 1, 2019 6:39PM
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    What do you suggest then? I went with crafty because I heard max mag scales dampen shield. I have 47k max magicka with crafty.
    Edited by seitekisaki on November 1, 2019 6:45PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you suggest then? I went with crafty because I heard max mag scales dampen shield. I have 47k max magicka with crafty.

Yeah, your shield is capped at 60% of your health, and you are going to have to keep it up before anything else if you are going to play that way, but I would check if maybe giving up some of your magicka for health might make your shield better off or not fall much. You are going to be target number 1 at that health level in CP Cyrodiil. Again; Im not sure it works for a magcro to begin with. Usually see sorcs as they can do 2 shields. Probably best to find a good magcro who has their build online
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

Yeah, your shield is capped at 60% of your health, and you are going to have to keep it up before anything else if you are going to play that way, but I would check if maybe giving up some of your magicka for health might make your shield better off or not fall much. You are going to be target number 1 at that health level in CP Cyrodiil. Again; Im not sure it works for a magcro to begin with. Usually see sorcs as they can do 2 shields. Probably best to find a good magcro who has their build online

Ah I forgot they changed shield scaling. I have been trying online builds like alcast's and dottzgaming. They use no defensive set though and Im not that good yet I guess. Alcast runs 64 into magicka too though.

I was thinking maybe I build defensive wise like a magplar since they both have a beefy heal and purge but idk.
    Edited by seitekisaki on November 1, 2019 7:08PM
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

I think it's just your health and resistances.

Eventually spec a few points into phy and spell resistance.

I'd try Blood Spawn but if you don't have that it's not a big deal; two 1 piece monster sets with the Armor buff gives you 100% up time on basically the same resistance values you just don't get stam recovery and ulti gen.

Not sure which drink you're using, presumably either; eyeball, or witch mothers, but you might try double bloody mara/the new one or spring loaded infusion.

I still use SwordnBoard on my back bar with a fire staff Fb.

I use to run either resistant flesh or renewing undeath but once you're comfortable with the build you might find you don't need to, but that might change this patch.

Try to keep in mind when you're playing too as vampire you're taking 25% more fire damage, plus Templars have that vampire bane thing, and the fighters guild passives. There's a lot of vampire cheese damage in PvP so keep that in mind if you randomly find huge chunks of your health are vanishing.

I've run two light sets since release without dampen magic and don't have issues; dueling, BGs, Sewers, or Cyrodiil.

It's a hard class to play honestly, it takes practice, but right now it's pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole for PvP classes.

Around how much in resists should I aim for and how much attributes into health?
    Also, what do you use for escape RAT or none? I was using mist form, but I could drop vampire.
    Awesome I will try blocking with s&b. Idk why I was even running resto without a resto skill. I think I used to have rapid regen but no room for me.
  • Bullseyebudx
    Bullseyebudx
    ✭✭✭
    Around how much in resists should I aim for and how much attributes into health?
    Also, what do you use for escape RAT or none? I was using mist form, but I could drop vampire.
    Awesome I will try blocking with s&b. Idk why I was even running resto without a resto skill. I think I used to have rapid regen but no room for me.

22K-24K is probably fine.
    I wouldn't spec anything into health but having about 25K health is where you'd want to be.
    Focus on getting the undaunted passives, you level faster if you complete veteran dungeon achievements like no death, time trial, ect.
    You really want to have max resource pools for necro, sometimes you can get away without max stats but I wouldn't recommend waiting to long to get those passives.
    Renewing undeath clears negative effects, for you and the team so that's plus.
    Resto is fine it's just overkill usually, if you're low health you'll probably crit heal anyway so that 15% isn't that valuable unless you're healing a group.
    I haven't had a chance to test vampire out on this build yet because I've been happy with it, but I suggest trying things out still on the vampire, in theory if you're build is bulky the undying passive should be much more effective.
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help both of you.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

22K-24K is probably fine.
    I wouldn't spec anything into health but having about 25K health is where you'd want to be.
    Focus on getting the undaunted passives, you level faster if you complete veteran dungeon achievements like no death, time trial, ect.
    You really want to have max resource pools for necro, sometimes you can get away without max stats but I wouldn't recommend waiting to long to get those passives.
    Renewing undeath clears negative effects, for you and the team so that's plus.
    Resto is fine it's just overkill usually, if you're low health you'll probably crit heal anyway so that 15% isn't that valuable unless you're healing a group.
    I haven't had a chance to test vampire out on this build yet because I've been happy with it, but I suggest trying things out still on the vampire, in theory if you're build is bulky the undying passive should be much more effective.

I'm in heavy on my necro atm but this advice is good
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play macro like templar. Build 26kish hp, 40kish mag, 25kish resistances.
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings noble traveler! I have been playing magcro a bunch lately and I'd be happy to tell you how I survive. First of all how many pieces of impenetrable gear are you running? In pvp I consider 2800 critical resistance a bare minimum, without critical resistance you will surely be vaporized, I run 7x impen on every build, this is the best pvp armor trait by miles.

Aside from that It seems your resistances are a little low for sponging damage, right now the best way to jack up your resistances without sacrificing other parts of your build is use 2x one piece defensive monster sets, you can use one pieces of lord warden, mighty chudan, and pirate skeleton, the protective jewelery triat is also a good consideration.

Aside from that it is important to create a rotation that is sustainable, your defensive skills are solid, however you would benefit greatly from one strong HoT, I reccomend slotting either rapid regeneration, or morphing your mender to intensive mender, this gives you more corpses and more major protection uptime.

Personally I cycle rapid regeneration, intensive mender, expunge, and deaden pain and it feels very survivable!

Hi, I have 7 pieces impen. Also yes I was trying spirit guardian for the mitigation, but intensive mender with deaden pain seems best now that you mention it. I want to work toward a monster set. I will try to work toward changing my jewelry traits too. Thanks!
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You for sure want your Undaunted Passives for the extra stats and mitigation of a 5+1+1 setup or even 5+2.

Definitely consider Race Against Time over Mist Form, and running 3 harmony with your Boneyard.

PVP isn't easy to do well. Get some friends together and practice dueling each other to get into the groove of play-counterplay, and setting up burst combos and avoiding them. And compare notes.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    You for sure want your Undaunted Passives for the extra stats and mitigation of a 5+1+1 setup or even 5+2.

Definitely consider Race Against Time over Mist Form, and running 3 harmony with your Boneyard.

PVP isn't easy to do well. Get some friends together and practice dueling each other to get into the groove of play-counterplay, and setting up burst combos and avoiding them. And compare notes.

3x harmony is so cheesy
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭

Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

I have a build video I made and it solves all of your issues. It hits really hard, stupidly tanky for LA and above all, feels like necro is actually useful.

https://youtu.be/vgZTpuS-pik

Let me know what you think and if that solves your issue :smile:
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

I have a build video I made and it solves all of your issues. It hits really hard, stupidly tanky for LA and above all, feels like necro is actually useful.

https://youtu.be/vgZTpuS-pik

Let me know what you think and if that solves your issue :smile:

Looks good. I would need to go set hunting still. I'll be trying out a number of things, but it looks like I can try this out too and be happy.
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Pelican wrote: »
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

Here's what I recommend:
    -More ironclad and less hardy and elemental defender. You would want 61/66 ironclad by max cp. Also do not go above 37 hardy/ele due to diminishing returns. You don't need a lot of thick as well because dots are weak now and you can purge them too. 37/40 is a good number to stop at.
    -More HP. 21k with battle spirit is too little and you will get one shotted easily. You will want 24k at the bare minimum, i recommend at least 25k. Easy to achieve with more tri stat glyphs.
    -A defensive 2 pc. A good all-rounder defensive 2 pc is bloodspawn, also helps with your stam sustain which is crucial for surviving. More team-based defensive 2pcs are earthgore and troll king.

-Changing force pulse to crushing. The interrupt is way more useful in pvp than the aoe.
    -Try acc drain over invigorating. 5 ult/s might look good but take note you only get it when channelling and after 1s of channel start. The additional mobility might help with surv and the dps of acc drain is also really high, comparable to spamming crushing shock and goes through block/roll.

Hope this helps!

I'll try that but IDK about messing with drain. It synergizes well with my necroptic potency. *I switched to that recently.* Not sure whether to go for a cheese build and try landing avid boneyard with harmony lol. I don't think I will.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

Here's what I recommend:

Hope this helps!

I'll try that but IDK about messing with drain. It synergizes well with my necroptic potency. *I switched to that recently.* Not sure whether to go for a cheese build and try landing avid boneyard with harmony lol. I don't think I will.

I would suggest using the Deaden Pain morph, can get rather nice Major Protection uptimes when you are comfortably getting corpses all the time. Imo Magcro in light gets enough tanky when get good with constant Deaden Pain refreshing, paired with the Expunge and Modify when needs can get to almost templarish feeling to the playing.

I wish BlastBones would work reliably..
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

Here's what I recommend:

Hope this helps!

I would suggest using the Deaden Pain morph, can get rather nice Major Protection uptimes when you are comfortably getting corpses all the time. Imo Magcro in light gets enough tanky when get good with constant Deaden Pain refreshing, paired with the Expunge and Modify when needs can get to almost templarish feeling to the playing.

I wish BlastBones would work reliably..

Yea. Im still getting used to the skills too. I finally settled on something, but only to see all of your suggestions inpiring me to change them. What is your skills layout like?

Also yea blastbones imo worked better when I played the PTS of Elsweyr but it was changed to be slower for some reason, but thats offtopic lol.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my specs:
    High Elf
    21k hp in PvP
    635 cp
    5 Brightthroat all impen
    1 Grothdar light armor
    1 Molag Kena light armor

My bar is:

I am no expert, I focus pve, but I can see that your resistances are far far too low. With 15 and 13 there are folk whose builds will slice through you like a hot knife through butter.

Your health is also on the low side.
    Edited by Grianasteri on November 4, 2019 11:15AM
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    So I just realized something crucial. Damage shields scale max mag but is capped by health. That wasnt clear for me with the comments earlier. Idk the formula though, or how bastion might work with that. I think its up till cap then anymore points into bastion is negligible.
    This is so new to me as a returning player.
    Edited by seitekisaki on November 5, 2019 1:09PM