The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Weapons] Staff is the odd one out - standardize weapons into Stamina with Magicka toggle

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Suppose Staves were melee and Stamina, and treated as two-handed weapons, using the same skill line.
Further suppose ALL weapons could be slotted with a Soul Gem, and that converts it into a Magicka weapon. Then Staves become what they are now, and the other Stamina weapons work just as they do now but a Heavy Attack restores Magicka and damage is based on Magicka, but the Skill Lines remained unchanged (costing Stamina, based on Stamina).

So now if you wanted a Magicka Nightblade or Magicka Templar using sword/dagger or sword/shield, you can still get Magicka back with Heavy Attack while preserving your "power fantasy" without having to pick up a staff. And if you wanted a Monk (and there IS a Monk type in TES https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Classes#Monk ) you could pick up a staff and be Stamina melee.

There are already staff/spear animations in the game so a new skill line could be added, but ZOS already has trouble balancing, so that's probably better off the table for now.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 1, 2019 1:19AM
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want this and it's great but the only problem is that magicka has 0 benefit or reason to go melee. the only thing- and i mean this literally- the only thing that magicka has over stamina anymore is range, so there's not really a good reason to give that up.

magicka was supposed to have utility like better self heals/defenses/range/utility skills at the cost of worse sustain, worse sets, and worse damage, but now all they have over stam is range because stamina gets all of those things, and even then stam can go bow/bow and now mag is 100% irrelevant.

Unless magicka could use them at range like shooting energy out of their weapons or something i don't see a point to it except to make magicka melee [which they dont benefit from again unless you're a magdk i guess]
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grandma wrote: »
    Unless magicka could use them at range like shooting energy out of their weapons or something i don't see a point to it except to make magicka melee [which they dont benefit from again unless you're a magdk i guess]

Two things about this:
    - ZOS already has balancing issues so changing too much will probably drive the system crazy
    - if you start making the melee weapon too fancy, that might also screw up people's power fantasy about mixing magicka use with melee weapon use

What I'm proposing is basically a baby step toward expanding what people can put together toward their power fantasy.
    That said, magicka staves will still be shooting things, so if you wanted some kind of Mysticism Monk who still used staves in a melee capacity but also used magick spells, it'd still be screwy.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the current weapon layout serves the game well, and is an intended design, that we much choose. The suggestion is reducing the need to choose and homogenizing the weapons. Some might say that is more choice but fundamentally that is wrong as wise players would obviously choose the stronger weapon.

Further, as mentioned, it could cause further balancing issues not to mention it would look absurd to see a magicka build use a bow. Talk about GF rage kicking magicka bow bow builds. lol.

Doubt it is healthy for the game.

Of course, it would be nice if Zos introduced a second magicka dps weapon as there is only one and Stam has 3. But it should be magicka only.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. You have 30 class skills over my 9. I can only run two weapons. When they fox their game, maybe.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    You do not have a monk class in morrowin it is only some extra skill points ten in the major skills and 5 in the minor skills at the start of the game you have no classes in morrowin, oblivion or skyrim.

That idea of turning a stamina weapon in a magica one with a soul gem is the best i have read in the threads about the subject though.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really? You want MORE standardisation?

😳
    PC EU