The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Magicka DKs: How is your sustain now?

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gorrest wrote: »
    I went with Charged+Flame glyph and I do just fine with 750 regen

Charged inferno with poison front bar.

Infused Flame enchant on resto back bar.

It's working well for me in no CP :)
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you guys want more proc burning effects infused is usually the way to go.

The proc chance of burning is above 50% with a destro staff (depending on the ability you’re using). You’re best off trying to get burning every 4 seconds then a high chance every 8.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

The proc chance of burning is above 50% with a destro staff (depending on the ability you’re using). You’re best off trying to get burning every 4 seconds then a high chance every 8.
    Standard cooldown for damage enchants like fire is 4 seconds. Charged is better for proccing burning. I tested this extensively last patch and compared status effect uptime on infused vs charged.
    Edited by Koensol on October 28, 2019 4:16PM
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sustain feels good for me. Breton, 1400 mag recovery, bloodspawn, ele drains and destro with flame enchant allow to almost never run oom. Tested the combustion change on the free dummy (thanks ZoS). The test was one rotation of dots (burning embers and engulfing flames) then setting a combo (cast stun, even if dummy cant be stunned, into whip, deep breath, whip), and simulated defensive buffs. In 15 seconds, burning procs a consistent 8 times. That's 500 mag every 2 seconds against a single target.

The cost increases mean you have to aim better with fiery breath. Can't afford to waste mag missing.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great for me, but then again I do some unconventional things...
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Tolino wrote: »
    Magdks PvP: Our Sustain is bad
    Also Magdks: Use builds with 800 - 1400 Magreg

Other classes use 1800-2200 Magreg (+Sustain Skill)

I don't get it. :D

That's because classes like sorcs or nbs have passives that give additional regen. MagDks sustain passive is battle roar and combustion but the problem is that battle roar got nerfed a long time ago and combustion does not counter the high cost of magdks abilities. For example... I'm a Breton and my Embers costs about 2.5k Magicka, while Entropie costs 1650 Magicka. Entropie deals more damage then Embers though. Thats pretty sad for a class that builds around Dots. Yes Embers heals at the end and Entropie doesnt. But having Embers healing at the end is pretty useless in these new patches. It would be better if it would heal a percentage of the damage done every tik. Then it would justify a higher cost but thats similar to what Entropie does and it still costs much less. I don't want to go in too much detail but running 1.8k Magregen is just no option for a MagDK since we lack passives that give us additional spelldmg like the sorcs passive and regen passives. We would end up with about 1.8k spelldmg unbuffed and something around 38k mag. On my Sorc I have 1.8k regen + Lich prog, 1.9k spelldmg unbuffed good pen and 44k magicka. If I'd run the same setup on my magdk I would have 1550 regen + Lich, 1.7k spelldmg and same Mag but would super squishy because I dont have the Shields or Streak to move around.
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭
    My sustain is absolutly terrible. Most people won't even continue reading this comment and say that I don't have enough ressource management but thats not true.

I am a Breton in lightarmor with Desert Rose, an infused fire staff with a Flame Glyph, Bloodspawn and Elemental Drain and I use Tripotions on cooldown. I also tried playing with an additional Costredution Glyph but it did change nothing.

In the past I could get away with less ressourcemanagement due to lower costs. With the new patch costs are way too high and if someone uses a costincrease poison you have no chance at sustaining. MagDks have nothing to counter that anyway since they have no purge or any ability like Sorcs for example that can use Dark Conversion to manage their Ressources. MagDks have to wait for Battle Roar to get their Ressources back. With the high costs of our abilities it is so high that you can't really sustain until you can get Ressources back from Battle Roar or Potions. Of course we could go for more costreduction or regen but our damage would suffer and this is no option since we are competing with classes that have better Heal over Time effects and Shields than us.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ryanoxx wrote: »
    My sustain is absolutly terrible. Most people won't even continue reading this comment and say that I don't have enough ressource management but thats not true.

I am a Breton in lightarmor with Desert Rose, an infused fire staff with a Flame Glyph, Bloodspawn and Elemental Drain and I use Tripotions on cooldown. I also tried playing with an additional Costredution Glyph but it did change nothing.

In the past I could get away with less ressourcemanagement due to lower costs. With the new patch costs are way too high and if someone uses a costincrease poison you have no chance at sustaining. MagDks have nothing to counter that anyway since they have no purge or any ability like Sorcs for example that can use Dark Conversion to manage their Ressources. MagDks have to wait for Battle Roar to get their Ressources back. With the high costs of our abilities it is so high that you can't really sustain until you can get Ressources back from Battle Roar or Potions. Of course we could go for more costreduction or regen but our damage would suffer and this is no option since we are competing with classes that have better Heal over Time effects and Shields than us.

Are there certain scenarios where you are running oom more often? What is your tooltip regen, your skill layout, and does your enchant have charges? If you give me some more insight on your build, I may be able to give some advice.

Just to let you know, stacking cost reduction isn't effective. The more percentage cost reduction you have, the less effective you will see flat reduction, or at least this is how it was when I tested before.
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭

Are there certain scenarios where you are running oom more often? What is your tooltip regen, your skill layout, and does your enchant have charges? If you give me some more insight on your build, I may be able to give some advice.

Just to let you know, stacking cost reduction isn't effective. The more percentage cost reduction you have, the less effective you will see flat reduction, or at least this is how it was when I tested before.

I know that stacking costreduction isn't as effective but magregen is useless to me since I Mistform quite a lot since it's the only option I have for mobility. Thats why I only run 800 regen. My sustain comes from other sources like I mentioned. I'm not sure though if Elemental Drain progs from dots because I does not feel like it. I didn't have problems sustaining this build in the past so this problem did occur this patch.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=186889

This is my build. I don't have all traits I want on live and am changing them but that would not effect my Ressourcemanagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TM0YpCb5fE

As you can see in the clip I'm always low on Magicka. My average Skillcost now is about 3k since the Dots cost more even though I'm a breton. If you have tips they're welcomed but keep in mind that I want to be able to kill something not just tank. Don't mind my coughing I'm sick atm and yes I did smash my desk because I realized how bad MagDk got over the time I was absent. (I took a break since Elsweyr)

(For everyone who wants to reccomend Bright Throat.... It's not good for my playstyle, check mistform)

I'm also talking about Magmanagement because if I can manage my Magicka my Stam will be fine too.

Quick Math:
    Desert Rose restores 2400 Mag every 4 second... probably every 5 seconds because it doesn't prog right away but it should prog fairely often since I get hit quite a lot.

2400= 480 Mag per second

Elemental Drain should prog every second from the Dot damage.

300 Mag per second

Lets assume burning does only prog every 5 seconds since I spend much time on my backbar even though I have Engulfing which has a pretty good chance to prog Burning + the Infused Flame Glyph.

500/5= 100 Mag per second

I have about 800 Magregen, it's a little more but since it gets cut from time to time because of mistform I'll use a flat 800 for the calculation. I'm also using the unbuffed value since we lose some from Mistform.

800/2= 400 Mag per second

Battle Roar if we assume I use my Ult on cooldown (assuming Bloodspawn progs every 10 seconds [again progs more often since I get hit a lot but lets work with lower numbers to be sure] I'd get 14 Ult from that every 10 seconds)

14/10= 1.4 Ult per second

In combat we get 3 Ult per Second if we hit or get hit for I think 8 seconds... anyway that happens all the time:

3 Ult per second

Lets say I use Fossilize every 15 Seconds because I'm pretty busy with my defense here:

3/15= 0.2 Ult per second

Lets just ignore Decisive and Minor Heroism because I don't have them in the clip.

On total I would get 4.6 Ult per second. Per point of Ult I get 46 Magicka from Battle Roar.

4.6*46= 211 Mag per second.

I drink tripotions on Cooldown in the clip which give me 7528 Mag every 45 seconds.

7528/45= 167 Mag per second

From the one piece heavy armor I get 108 Mag every 4 seconds:

108/4= 27 Mag per second

On total we would get about 1.7k Mag every second. Or in magregen [every 2 seconds] 3.4k Magregen.

That would mean I could only use 1 ability every 2 seconds exept if I use Flame Lash or Degeneration only. I would need almost twice as much to cover all the costs since Skills like Embers went from 1k cost to 2.6k. In the Clip I still had Embers, now I dropped it because it deals less damage then Entropie and costs much more. I know my math is a little sloppy but it still makes clear that it's pretty much impossible to sustain with MagDk like this. I would need a second sustain set and my damage would go down to pretty much zero and sustain would still be ruff.

If I do the same for my sorc in comparison I already get 300 Mag per second from Dark Conversion if I only cast it every 20 seconds [basically for nothing since u can use Unchained]. On total I would get a number of 1.8k with lich as only sustainset only on my backbar and no elemental drain as highelf while my average skillcost is slightly lower and this is the case if I use Dark Conversion every 20 seconds which I do use much more since I use it every time I break free to make use of Unchained CP. While I went for Damage on my Dk instead of tankiness I should have decent damage and I do but compared to my sorc it's a joke. I know the classes are built completely different and we can't compare them but that's what zenimax does right now with their standards and it's not working at all. Dk is a turle class. You are slow and can only tank players on you which would work fine enough if your skills wouldn't cost more then average. MagDks don't have an active ability to change something into Magicka. We have to wait until we can use our ultimate. People always ask me why I don't quit MagDk and just play my MagSorc only but I like MagDks animations and the concept. It's just not good right now for Solo gameplay or 2vX.

Thank you in advance if you read this and think about giving me Tipps.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You cannot regenerate magicka in mist form.

Nice tanking/kiting tho. 👍
    PC EU
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭

Only your regen is cut why you can still get magicka back from desert rose etc. I don't wanna tank though otherwise I wouldn't run lightarmor. That's the reason why I don't run regen on my build and focus on other sources for magicka return which worked before but the costs got increased too much.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Only your regen is cut why you can still get magicka back from desert rose etc. I don't wanna tank though otherwise I wouldn't run lightarmor. That's the reason why I don't run regen on my build and focus on other sources for magicka return which worked before but the costs got increased too much.

You need to run a bit of regen nowadays and vamp just isn't that great on anything other than a magplar. I got some Bright Throat with Spring Loaded Infusion and use Charged Inferno, I ditched infused flame enchant on resto for berserker. The only other thing I use is an infused reduce cost glyph on jewellery.

My sustain is good even without ele drain which is easily purged off btw. In CP campaign sustain is even better.
    PC EU
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭

You need to run a bit of regen nowadays and vamp just isn't that great on anything other than a magplar. I got some Bright Throat with Spring Loaded Infusion and use Charged Inferno, I ditched infused flame enchant on resto for berserker. The only other thing I use is an infused reduce cost glyph on jewellery.

My sustain is good even without ele drain which is easily purged off btw. In CP campaign sustain is even better.

Thats actually less sustain than desert rose and not running vamp on magdk doesn't work if you don't run Damageshields.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Standard cooldown for damage enchants like fire is 4 seconds. Charged is better for proccing burning. I tested this extensively last patch and compared status effect uptime on infused vs charged.

Enchant cooldown is 8 seconds, infused brings it down to 4.

I haven’t tested it at all, I’m just going by PvE healer tests where people who tested it said to go infused on the lightning back bar for better status effect uptime.

Thinking about it you’re probably right. PvE healers only use wall of elements compared to multiple fire abilities for DKs so you’ll have different results.

So... I want to put my MagDK build together for solo play. Thinking DW MH Nirn OH Charged, anyone have a number I should aim for for a decent amount of sustain?

I don’t want to start transmuting jewellery without a number in mind, think it would be best to start low and build up or start high and work down?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ryanoxx You won't reach a true neutral in resource used vs regenerated if using skills on GCD. Your goal should be able to reach a certain time threshold that you can be continuously active.

Your total theoretical regen should be enough, although there are a few things that seem off. IIRC base ult gen is 2 per second, not 3. Dots tick every 2 seconds, not 1, so you cannot rely on one dot to have 100% uptime of minor magicka steal. You could run a resto staff back bar for the heavy attack mag return, which is what I do.

I suggest that you use burning embers instead of degen if you are only worried about the damage. Burning embers dot may seem weaker, but the direct damage and the searing heat passive will make it out damage degen overall.

Is there a particular reason you are using dragon fire scale? I don't use wings and mist on the same build, the skills are too expensive and serve similar purposes. That could be a magicka sink that you can remove.

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Enchant cooldown is 8 seconds, infused brings it down to 4.

I haven’t tested it at all, I’m just going by PvE healer tests where people who tested it said to go infused on the lightning back bar for better status effect uptime.

Thinking about it you’re probably right. PvE healers only use wall of elements compared to multiple fire abilities for DKs so you’ll have different results.

So... I want to put my MagDK build together for solo play. Thinking DW MH Nirn OH Charged, anyone have a number I should aim for for a decent amount of sustain?

I don’t want to start transmuting jewellery without a number in mind, think it would be best to start low and build up or start high and work down?
    @Iskiab How can you correct me when you haven't even tested? Enchant cooldown for damage enchants (fire, lightning, frost, oblivion, poison and disease) is 4 seconds by default. Like I said I tested it last patch. Other enchants like berserk (weapon and spell damage) have a 10 sec cooldown by default.

Healers use charged lightning staff with wall of elements because it is the best way to get a high uptime on concussed (vulnerability) and thus off balance on packs of trash mobs. Infused is better for single target burst. Charged is the king of status effects as with a charged staff + lightning glyph you will have basically 100% uptime on minor vulnerability on a single target.
    Edited by Koensol on November 1, 2019 12:30PM
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭
    @Ryanoxx You won't reach a true neutral in resource used vs regenerated if using skills on GCD. Your goal should be able to reach a certain time threshold that you can be continuously active.

Your total theoretical regen should be enough, although there are a few things that seem off. IIRC base ult gen is 2 per second, not 3. Dots tick every 2 seconds, not 1, so you cannot rely on one dot to have 100% uptime of minor magicka steal. You could run a resto staff back bar for the heavy attack mag return, which is what I do.

I suggest that you use burning embers instead of degen if you are only worried about the damage. Burning embers dot may seem weaker, but the direct damage and the searing heat passive will make it out damage degen overall.

Is there a particular reason you are using dragon fire scale? I don't use wings and mist on the same build, the skills are too expensive and serve similar purposes. That could be a magicka sink that you can remove.

"Light attack and heavy attacks gives you 3 ultimate/sec for 8 secs.

January 2017"

Thats what I've read, idk if it changed meanwhile. And I run multiple dots so I don't rely on one dot. As you can see in the clip I run Entropie, Engulfing, have the damage return from Volatile and run Embers or Wings with dmg return. That should be enough to prog minor magicka steal on cooldown. If I would run a restro I would be much squishier and could only fight half as many players I guess. I tried Restro/Destro before and its super squishy but more Ressource efficient. Since MagDk lacks Mobility that Sorcs or Nbs have, I don't think running Restro/Destro is the optimal solution though it might be better for 1vX but I want to be able to survive with kiting against larger groups which wouldn't work with Restro/Destro.

Running Embers instead of Degeneration wouldn't be a solution either since I would lose Major Prophecy :/

Wings are a flex spot, I change the skill quite often. I ran Embers there and tried Draw Essence as well as Fragmented Shield. All the Skills do not serve a special purpose in the new patches. Embers heal is garbage and the damage isn't worth it either. Fragmented Shield costs too much and you can't keep it up 100% of the time and if you need a heal you don't have the time to use Fragmented first because you need to heal directly or you'll die. Draw Essence is way too expensive and doesn't heal enough to be useful. The damage of the second hit is ok but easily outhealed and isn't worth it either. I don't use the Wings for the snare removal. I use Mistform for kiting and Wings for damage reduction and the damage return which helps me pressure enemies even if I'm in the defense which helps me to take out unexperienced targets faster. The problem is the cost of the skills and the lack of ressource management passives Dk has and it doesn't matter which skill I run here I always run out. I can sustain for about 5 minutes if I fight a less experienced group then I'll run out. In the past I used to be able to kite for more than 15 minutes and Dk was still bad compared to other Classes in 1vX. On my sorc I can sustain forever and if I use Conversion properly I never run out.

Also if you run Restro I would recommend to drop Vampire and don't run Mistform because you're squishier and rely on the heals from your restrostaff. If I'd run Restrostaff I would need a completely different build too. Something like Spinner front, Lich back and 2 Willpower and Bloodspawn. I'd also drop damage if I'd do that since I need to get more Regen because a Restrobuild can't rely on Desert Rose.

Like this:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=188080

• BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭

January 2017"

Thats what I've read, idk if it changed meanwhile. And I run multiple dots so I don't rely on one dot. As you can see in the clip I run Entropie, Engulfing, have the damage return from Volatile and run Embers or Wings with dmg return. That should be enough to prog minor magicka steal on cooldown. If I would run a restro I would be much squishier and could only fight half as many players I guess. I tried Restro/Destro before and its super squishy but more Ressource efficient. Since MagDk lacks Mobility that Sorcs or Nbs have, I don't think running Restro/Destro is the optimal solution though it might be better for 1vX but I want to be able to survive with kiting against larger groups which wouldn't work with Restro/Destro.

Running Embers instead of Degeneration wouldn't be a solution either since I would lose Major Prophecy :/

Wings are a flex spot, I change the skill quite often. I ran Embers there and tried Draw Essence as well as Fragmented Shield. All the Skills do not serve a special purpose in the new patches. Embers heal is garbage and the damage isn't worth it either. Fragmented Shield costs too much and you can't keep it up 100% of the time and if you need a heal you don't have the time to use Fragmented first because you need to heal directly or you'll die. Draw Essence is way too expensive and doesn't heal enough to be useful. The damage of the second hit is ok but easily outhealed and isn't worth it either. I don't use the Wings for the snare removal. I use Mistform for kiting and Wings for damage reduction and the damage return which helps me pressure enemies even if I'm in the defense which helps me to take out unexperienced targets faster. The problem is the cost of the skills and the lack of ressource management passives Dk has and it doesn't matter which skill I run here I always run out. I can sustain for about 5 minutes if I fight a less experienced group then I'll run out. In the past I used to be able to kite for more than 15 minutes and Dk was still bad compared to other Classes in 1vX. On my sorc I can sustain forever and if I use Conversion properly I never run out.

Also if you run Restro I would recommend to drop Vampire and don't run Mistform because you're squishier and rely on the heals from your restrostaff. If I'd run Restrostaff I would need a completely different build too. Something like Spinner front, Lich back and 2 Willpower and Bloodspawn. I'd also drop damage if I'd do that since I need to get more Regen because a Restrobuild can't rely on Desert Rose.

Like this:

I'm going to have to test the ult gen thing. I've always worked off the 2 ult/s value.

I use spell power pots for major sorcery. I find that a mDK can sustain stamina well with battle roar and helping hand, and keep hp up with proper play.

Your resource sustain issue is difficult. From you numbers, you should sustain fine. I don't think trying to perfectly balance out your regen and drain is viable in pvp, unless running something very niche. You might have to focus on a playstyle change. Try to figure any areas that you are wasting resources.

I almost always run a large weapon back bar for the infused power glyph. Comparing frost staff to resto staff, frost staff allows you to block more and gives less than 2% mitigation in cp, while resto staff gives you increased healing at low hp and increased mag return on heavies. I try not to overuse block and the low hp healing synergize with coag blood. I don't think either is better than the other, and switch between the two infrequently, but they both have their merits.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sustain sux! Gimme some cheaper skill and stuff! Or buff the damage or just buff EVERYTHING MagDk! Hehehehe
  • Ryanoxx
    Ryanoxx
    ✭✭✭

January 2017"

Like this:

I'm going to have to test the ult gen thing. I've always worked off the 2 ult/s value.

I use spell power pots for major sorcery. I find that a mDK can sustain stamina well with battle roar and helping hand, and keep hp up with proper play.

Your resource sustain issue is difficult. From you numbers, you should sustain fine. I don't think trying to perfectly balance out your regen and drain is viable in pvp, unless running something very niche. You might have to focus on a playstyle change. Try to figure any areas that you are wasting resources.

I almost always run a large weapon back bar for the infused power glyph. Comparing frost staff to resto staff, frost staff allows you to block more and gives less than 2% mitigation in cp, while resto staff gives you increased healing at low hp and increased mag return on heavies. I try not to overuse block and the low hp healing synergize with coag blood. I don't think either is better than the other, and switch between the two infrequently, but they both have their merits.

I gave up on my snb build. It's basically the best balanced out build u can get this patch with snb but sustaining on it is too hard. I'll try a destro/restro build and if that doesn't work good enough I'll quit MagDk and start Stamblade. I grinded one but not sure about what I wanna do with it yet maybe full dmg.