The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

House hunting. Trying to find the perfect (or almost perfect) home.

PopotoSalad
PopotoSalad
✭✭✭
I'm looking for a perfect (or almost perfect) primary residence. This will be my only house in-game for the foreseeable future, so making the right choice is important. Could the housing forum give me a hand? :)

What I'm looking for in a house:
  • A courtyard is a must-have.
  • The interior should be divided into multiple rooms per floor.
  • There needs to be an area for a workshop (preferably a basement or a barn.)
  • The house should allow for an elegant, but eclectic decorating style.
  • No manor-sized houses.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Quondam Indorilia 1,265,000 gold
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is also the free house you get in Rimmen by doing the main quest line.
    Hall of the Lunar Champion. Its free, the rooms open up with additional questing. The final two rooms will be opened after questing in the Southern Elsweyr patch coming at the end of this month.

IMO, I would get the Hall of Lunar Champion (save the gold) and put the gold into furnishings. ALSO it has more slots, 700 if you sub with ESO+

Its really the winner imo.
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

I was looking at Quondam (or maybe Velothi.) The other house that looked good was Strident Springs Demesne.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a perfect (or almost perfect) primary residence. This will be my only house in-game for the foreseeable future, so making the right choice is important. Could the housing forum give me a hand? :)

• No manor-sized houses.

You may want to wait for next dlc ...cat's landing sounds like what you may be after. You can view cats landing on utube
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be aware of Quondam's curved walls.

I am very adept at decorating houses with round walls but QI was quite a challenge.

Hunding's has a great yard and beach. Mathiisen has great room division and a pretty courtyard.
    Edited by sueblue on October 14, 2019 6:11AM
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was looking at Quondam (or maybe Velothi.) The other house that looked good was Strident Springs Demesne.

ya, I personally always forget about Khajiit homes because they are tacky to me. I love the Elsweyr style, but not the old Khajiit style.

I honestly feel the best bet is the Hall of the Lunar Champion for a number of reasons.

1. I have Moon Sugar Meadow. I made a cool smallish home on the property and created my own little area with trees and rocks. But this cost me a TON of props which means the inside is not as decorated as I would like it. Eveyrone who has seen it loves it, but I feel it could use more.
    2. The Hall of the Lunar Champion being mostly inside means you don't have to spend a ton to make the house itself or a ton of make the outside look right. The furnishings in that home should go a LONG way.
    3. The inside of it allows you to create or partition your own rooms in a layout that fits your needs. It just gives more options.
    4. Free is rarely a bad thing. Even if you have 1.3m to spend, you will have 1.3m more to spend on furniture to get really cool stuff.

Of course we don't know what the other two rooms look like yet, but with just the main hall and the one outside area we get now, its good for me.

The Alinor Townhome is probably my favorite in game, I love the wood work but meh, I am poor so I will stick with what I have.
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    sueblue wrote: »

I am very adept at decorating houses with round walls but QI was quite a challenge.

Hunding's has a great yard and beach. Mathiisen has great room division and a pretty courtyard.

I'd probably go Velothi if I went Dunmer, so curved walls aren't a problem.

Not a big fan of Redguard (or Khajiit) architecture. Too limiting for decorating.

I love Mathiisen's courtyard. I'm not sure how I feel about the room division on the second floor. It feels a bit too much like one long hallway rather than bedrooms.
    The Alinor Townhome is probably my favorite in game, I love the wood work but meh, I am poor so I will stick with what I have.

If I could figure out where to stick a workroom in Alinor, I'd likely buy it. But everywhere is just too pretty and formal!

As for the Lunar Hall, I'm going through the game in order, so it'll be a while before I get that house.

• sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love Mathiisen's courtyard. I'm not sure how I feel about the room division on the second floor. It feels a bit too much like one long hallway rather than bedrooms.

Would be easy to delineate rooms with Alinor structural materials.

Strident Springs might be the house you are looking for though. It has so many walls :p

Is Daggerfall too open?

Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    Is Daggerfall too open?

Daggerfall is manor-sized, and therefore a wee bit out of my gil range right now. Otherwise, it's lovely. I'm also fond of Linchal Grand Manor, but that's crown-only and not even available right now.
    Edited by PopotoSalad on October 14, 2019 7:31AM
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I could figure out where to stick a workroom in Alinor, I'd likely buy it. But everywhere is just too pretty and formal!

Most of the Townhouses I have visited use the alcove in the courtyard for a crafting area. It works but I like my crafting areas easily accessible. Just a thought.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the Townhouses I have visited use the alcove in the courtyard for a crafting area. It works but I like my crafting areas easily accessible. Just a thought.

Maybe I could use an Alinor fence to build a little hidden area. The town crafting area is right outside, too, if I don't need my attuned stations.

Not much garden space, though...
    Would be easy to delineate rooms with Alinor structural materials.

How well would that match a regular High Elf house? The materials are a bit different.
    Edited by PopotoSalad on October 14, 2019 7:57AM
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Potato_Salad
    Potato_Salad
    ✭✭✭
    @bayushi2005 Tag me one more time and im sending an airstrike over.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Mournoth Keep as my primary.

The only drawback is that being an Orcish house it is rough, but you can use normal furniture as well.
    I use a combination of Alinor/Imperial/Telvanni furniture. The large Alinor bookshelf fits perfectly in the lower floor.

The courtyard is amazing, you can use a lot of space, even the rocky ledges can be used if you build ladders to them.

The house has a terrace where you can place crafting stations or training dummies. But I used the small space between the right stair and the rocky wall to build a forge. I like this house because it has room for a lot of creativity.

An other good thing is the amount of light the courtyard gets. Most of the time you have good weather, not like in other zones such as Malabal Tor, where it is mostly raining. The sunny weather allows for great courtyard designs with bright flowers and blossom trees if you like them.

Also, the house is very near a wayshrine.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was literally eating potato salad while reading this thread, did not fail to amuse.
    I would really like to know which home you decide on.
    I know you wanted multiple rooms but with dividers and creative use of space Autumn's gate could be a nice cheap and pretty house.

• Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there were more medium houses with nice yards. I know some of these were already mentioned, but these hit most of your criteria:

Ald Velothi Harbor
    Amaya Lake Lodge
    Mathiisen Manor
    Hunding's Palatial Hall
    Old Mistveil Manor
    Domus Phrasticus (more modest-sized but worth checking out)
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn’s Gate and Mournoth Keep are good choices. Lucky Cat Landing I would get in a heartbeat if it were sold for gold, but none of the new homes have a gold buying option. I have to agree with a lot folks here, the best choice is the Hall of Lunar Landing. It needs work but that makes the home more yours. Lunar Landing is large, in the city, near a wayshrine and most importantly free. You going have to join ESO Plus to get rest of the house (which is Zos’s intention) but once you get the other wings and decorated it you can leave ESO Plus.
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I was literally eating potato salad while reading this thread, did not fail to amuse.
    I would really like to know which home you decide on.
    I know you wanted multiple rooms but with dividers and creative use of space Autumn's gate could be a nice cheap and pretty house.

@mrsrobot That was not intended, though I am really happy that at least one person is amused ^^ I blame them potatoes (aka the most common drop from backpacks) :P
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel personally attackeduly6wpn62sg7.png
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the new Sweet Meadow property in Elsweyr. You can build the house you want, whether small or large. Benefits to building your own are many: have a single floor layout or not, have a beautiful entry with no loading screens, start small then go big, when you tire of it...just tear down and build another! By the way...if you don't like the landscape...pull up every plant and create your own beautiful paradise!
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to go with Velothi Reverie. I love the layout, it's not super expensive, and can be decorated in a variety of styles. Right now, my plan is to use Morrowind furniture, with brighter accents thrown in from other styles.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd probably go Velothi if I went Dunmer, so curved walls aren't a problem.

Not a big fan of Redguard (or Khajiit) architecture. Too limiting for decorating.

As for the Lunar Hall, I'm going through the game in order, so it'll be a while before I get that house.

Felt the same about Mathiisen — beautiful outdoor area but the interior to me feels like so many hallways. I was choosing between this one and Alinor Crest Townhouse and am glad I went with the later — LOVE the rooms and although I felt like I was sacrificing on garden / courtyard at first, I’ve added a lot to the terrace and the view is wonderful, especially at sunrise. :3 I think the first room on the left upon entering could be a good workroom, or the room generally made to be a kitchen. It depends too on what you have envisioned for your workroom I think.
    I decided to go with Velothi Reverie. I love the layout, it's not super expensive, and can be decorated in a variety of styles. Right now, my plan is to use Morrowind furniture, with brighter accents thrown in from other styles.

Awesome! That is one I have always liked as well! I already have plans for it once I am able to purchase it! :joy: I hope you will post screenshots and maybe an open house on EHT when it is complete! :smiley:
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashryn wrote: »
    Personally, I like the new Sweet Meadow property in Elsweyr. You can build the house you want, whether small or large. Benefits to building your own are many: have a single floor layout or not, have a beautiful entry with no loading screens, start small then go big, when you tire of it...just tear down and build another! By the way...if you don't like the landscape...pull up every plant and create your own beautiful paradise!

Agreed! But it will take more work / investment, which may or may not be an issue, and I really hope ZOS adds more building materials! o:) I got Alinor Crest Townhouse furnished as my first purchase, as I was starting out, and then I’ve made it more and more customized, more and more my own, as I’ve been able. :3

But definitely agree and love Moon Sugar Meadow! It’s amazing to see the very different things people do with the property! :smiley:
  • PopotoSalad
    PopotoSalad
    ✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    I hope you will post screenshots and maybe an open house on EHT when it is complete! :smiley:

It may be a while before I'm finished decorating, as I still need to grind more blueprints, but I'll be sure to share when I'm done. :)
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That one is my favourite house, too. Its very similar to Quondam Indorilia (which I do not like because it only has the main entrance and my main char is a shady nightblade always needing an escape route ;) ), but you can decorate it nicely with the 400 spaces (although I would not mind more slots). I don't know what server you're on, but feel free to visit mine on EU server, same name als here in the forum :) Also don't forget to post a screenshot or two here in this thread when you're done with yours :-)

I'm looking forward to the new Lucky Cat Landing home, I think it might be a home for me^^
    PC/EU
  • dagrdagaz_5912
    dagrdagaz_5912
    ✭✭✭
    Velothi Reveri is my primary house also.
    I decorated mainly in Dark Elf style.
    I use the basement as workshop, it has crafting stations, storage chests, banker and merchant.

Feel free to visit mine aswell if possible (also on EU server).
    In game account name is; dagrdagaz.5912
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• No manor-sized houses.

Based on your criteria it sounds like these are your best choices. I'm going to include several large homes and two medium sized that I feel fit the options given.
    Large Sized Homes:
    Amaya Lake Lodge (Storehouse for crafting area with a usable roof and separated interior rooms in the main home but not multiple per floor. Massive courtyard to play with.)
    Mathiisen Manor (Floor layout can be frustrating but overall provides the largest usable courtyard with 2 completely separate downstairs rooms and 2 separated balconies that can be used. No crafting area spot by default persay.)
    Quondim Indorila (Curved walls and the dark interior make using some furniture a non-option. But the courtyard works and it can be decorated in elegance. It has the downstairs area for crafting.)
    Hunding's Palatial Hall (Large courtyard but very sandy. Not many divided rooms. Stable area usable for crafting.)
    Strident Springs Demesne (Large usable courtyard, a decent sized interior with many divided rooms in the upper portion and one in the downstairs portion. No barn for crafting area but interior rooms can be used/you can make one in the vast courtyard.)
    Medium Sized Homes:
    Ald Velothi Harbor House (While the interior can look... odd I find it can still be decorated in a rather nice looking way. Other than that it has the courtyard and a basement area with just enough room for crafting stations. Two divided rooms downstairs one upstairs bedroom.)
    Velothi Reverie: (Four rooms with walkways to them and a basement with a courtyard accessible in the main entrance left room door. The courtyard is decently sized and includes a patio, enough for a few trees and plenty of bushes. The dark stone may make decorating this house with vibrant furnishings difficult.)

I see a lot of people vying for Hall of the Lunar Champion but I don't think it fits your criteria due to it's stony disrepair and the wide open rooms. It seems like you are definitely looking for smaller rooms and the elegance factors in a lot especially for Lunar Champion.
  • Poms
    Poms
    ✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    I have Mournoth Keep as my primary.

The only drawback is that being an Orcish house it is rough, but you can use normal furniture as well.
    I use a combination of Alinor/Imperial/Telvanni furniture. The large Alinor bookshelf fits perfectly in the lower floor.

The courtyard is amazing, you can use a lot of space, even the rocky ledges can be used if you build ladders to them.

The house has a terrace where you can place crafting stations or training dummies. But I used the small space between the right stair and the rocky wall to build a forge. I like this house because it has room for a lot of creativity.

An other good thing is the amount of light the courtyard gets. Most of the time you have good weather, not like in other zones such as Malabal Tor, where it is mostly raining. The sunny weather allows for great courtyard designs with bright flowers and blossom trees if you like them.

Also, the house is very near a wayshrine.

i second mournoth ...its my primary also
  • inchdixprb19_ESO
    inchdixprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No-one has mentioned forsaken stronghold. It has a huge courtyard, a stable area and an outbuilding. The house itself is spacious with a lower and upper floor which leads to an upper promenade where you can access a watch-tower. It has a limit of 600 slots, so plenty of space. Only downside is it's nowhere near a wayshrine.