The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stop butchering Poison Injection and revert it to pre-Scalebreaker behaviour

TheYKcid
TheYKcid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Poison Arrow: Increased the Damage over Time portion of this ability and its morphs by 33%.
Poison Injection (morph): This morph now applies its execute bonus to the entire ability, rather than only the Damage over Time.

Like, I'm glad you guys partially un-nerfed DoTs like PI to make them actually worth slotting next patch.

But making the execute bonus apply to the intial hit is absolutely not adequate compensation for gutting the execute multiplier, which is now 100% compared to 260% pre-Scalebreaker. And is a stupid idea for several reasons:
  1. The initial hit on PI is poor base damage, thus benefits little from the multiplier
  2. The multiplier itself is also crap
  3. Prematurely recasting a DoT is a damage loss
  4. No one spams the initial hit to execute when we have actual executes; DoTs are set-up prior to the burst combo

Nerfing the multiplier to 100% was justified when the DoT was massively buffed on live, yes.

But the skill now deals comparable DoT to pre-Scale—so there's no reason it shouldn't have its behaviour from that period restored. In fact, even restoring it to 260% would still be a net nerf because healing has gone up tremendously since pre-Scale, and is going up further next patch.

Stop trying to remedy bad changes with more bad changes. Take one on the chin and roll it back.
Edited by TheYKcid on October 7, 2019 7:09PM
PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You mean you dont want to execute low health target with the mighty power of the direct hit of Poison Injection? Dealing basically damage as standard spammable that will tickle them down with the reapplied DoT to eventual death if they also fall from keep wall during it?

Its 'good' they made sure the skill has enough power in their power budget view, but they did miss the mark great deal at understanding the skill was always about the effect in execute not what came before that.
    Edited by SodanTok on October 7, 2019 6:56PM
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭

we don't care about the direct hit, get rid of it and make it a real execute. while you're at it make the other morph no dot damage and a normal bow execute for bowtards.

PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the initial direct damage of PI would proc Sheer Venom, as its now an execute, but it doesn't. Seems odd.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    You mean you dont want to execute low health target with the mighty power of the direct hit of Poison Injection? Dealing basically damage as standard spammable that will tickle them down with the reapplied DoT to eventual death if they also fall from keep wall during it?

Its 'good' they made sure the skill has enough power in their power budget view, but they did miss the mark great deal at understanding the skill was always about the effect in execute not what came before that.

Yeah. They spent their budget... just on the wrong thing.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m fine with the change. Now it is better for ganking
    😂
    The pre scale was good aswell but the increase hit is better for pvp. I have something like a 8k ish tooltip for the initial hit on live. + 50% makes 12k. Crossbow hits 10k.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or just use Executioner with potential 25k tooltip... no need to gut an otherwise fine skill to provide a subpar alternative to existing options.
    Edited by TheYKcid on October 8, 2019 2:11AM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still 10x better, but practically the same as destructive reach, no complaints here. It's already overbudgeted if destructive reach is considered at max capacity.

Edit:
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Nerfing the multiplier to 100% was justified when the DoT was massively buffed on live, yes.

But the skill now deals comparable DoT to pre-Scale—so there's no reason it shouldn't have its behaviour from that period restored. In fact, even restoring it to 260% would still be a net nerf because healing has gone up tremendously since pre-Scale, and is going up further next patch.

Stop trying to remedy bad changes with more bad changes. Take one on the chin and roll it back.

Also, comparing Poison Arrow in a vaccum to only itself doesn't help your argument. From my understanding, it does about the same direct + dot damage, maybe even cost (-15% for stamina) as all other comparable single target dot abilities.

Without Considering skill line passives/cost/range these are the unique traits of some comparable dots:
    • Destructive Reach: Nothing, but element (Flame, Shock, Frost).
    • Poison Injection: Poison + 100% scaling execute.
    • Structured Entropy: No Element, HoT.
    • Degeneration: No Element, Major Sorcery.
    • Blood Craze: Bleed physical, HoT for same coefcient as dmg.
    • Rending Slashes: Bleed physical, extra direct damage and snare.

The list goes on, but PI has arguabley 1 of the best unique traits of any of the abilities and it just got a tiny bit better. 100% execute is generous and you want 260% again?

If I were you, I'd prey they don't remove the execute for whatever random reason and keep your head down.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 8, 2019 2:29AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poison Injection is the bow skill lines execute so maybe you could try comparing it to other executes instead of comparing it to dots.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with op. PI execute dmg (on the dot)needs to be put back to where it was pre allthenerfs.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged into PTS and my poison inject dot component says about 10k over 10 seconds and on live its 20k. Same gear and stats. 10k over 10 seconds in pvp is almost worthless. So 10k minus 50% for battle spirit = 5k minus more from resists. Lol. Seems like it's still has a 50% nerf imo. Not sure about the execute change though.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be one of the best DoTs in the entire game, reduced to this. And they were supposed to be adding identity.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAwtunes wrote: »
    I thought the initial direct damage of PI would proc Sheer Venom, as its now an execute, but it doesn't. Seems odd.

Huh? Hasn’t it always proc’d sheer venom?
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »
    It used to be one of the best DoTs in the entire game, reduced to this. And they were supposed to be adding identity.

Being slightly OP isn't an identity? At the same time it remains one of the best DoTs in the game?
  • JAwtunes
    JAwtunes
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    JAwtunes wrote: »

Huh? Hasn’t it always proc’d sheer venom?

Just the dot part, not the direct damage as that wasn't affected by the execute bonus.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »

Being slightly OP isn't an identity? At the same time it remains one of the best DoTs in the game?

It will remain proc for master's bow. That's the only reason to ever slot it again in 5.2.3 state.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i like the change, i wont die as much to it in PvP lol
  • sproattt
    sproattt
    ✭✭✭
    From a PvP perspective; these guys at ZoS are smoking heroin in the HQ. Revert back to the 250%, they don't even realise that 95% of people have max resist caps, plus mitigation through the roof and probably a Templar. Bow will be dead next patch, unless your snipe ganking which the execute damage on initial hit will be OP combined with 4 snipes hitting at once. They need to look at themselves in the mirror and wonder what the *** there doing.
    Stamblade Main.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fierackas wrote: »
    Poison Injection is the bow skill lines execute so maybe you could try comparing it to other executes instead of comparing it to dots.

However, unlike other executes, you can use this simultaneously with another execute. So unless the DoT component is completely removed, it will never be on par with other executes.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »

Slightly OP? One of the best DoTs in the game?

Have you even logged on PTS since v5.2.0?

Poison Injection is complete trash now, just like virtually every DoT.
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fierackas wrote: »

However, unlike other executes, you can use this simultaneously with another execute. So unless the DoT component is completely removed, it will never be on par with other executes.

Well sadly my other execute is the warden bear which misses half the time :'(
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t think it should go back to 260% execute bonus for DoT. Iirc post dragonhold DoT of PI will be a bit better than U22 but don’t have numbers ready atm. I mean, all the OP skills are bright down a notch so PI isn’t the only skill that got nerfed. At least it is still performing better than destructive reach/touch by a mile.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    260% is a relatively low multiplier compared to dedicated executes. It also had strict limitations, since the DoT only ticks once /2s and doesn't have terribly high base damage.

We had 260% for years, and the skill was never an issue (with Rending on DW often being the superior alternative). Furthermore, 260% today would be even less of an issue given how drastically healing has gone up over the last 2 patches (Dragonhold inclusive).
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poison Injection low skill high reward skill that needs to be toned down. It is not healty gameplay to fire and forget finishers. It should be channelled finisher or something more balanced.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about making PI a mini game? You hit a enemy 3 times with PI within 6 seconds and it gets the 260% multiplier back. Counterplay
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about making PI a mini game? You hit a enemy 3 times with PI within 6 seconds and it gets the 260% multiplier back. Counterplay

Was lmao-ing until I realised that would be right up ZOS' alley. Shhhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The thing is, part of me is happy they nerfed it. I would have preferred that they nerfed it less, and instead buffed the alternatives, but Poison Injection and Endless hail were so strong that absolutely all stamina characters had to run them. Maybe now we can mix it up a little.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    The thing is, part of me is happy they nerfed it. I would have preferred that they nerfed it less, and instead buffed the alternatives, but Poison Injection and Endless hail were so strong that absolutely all stamina characters had to run them. Maybe now we can mix it up a little.

Meta slaves HAD to run it not everyone
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reason to nerf poison injection was not because of buffing dots, but because you could use two executes in same time (poison injection +bar swap to melee weapon with execute)

I know it only hurts bow/bow but it was needed.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »

Mix it up with what?

All of those interesting and strong stam DoTs?

lol

What a joke. It's just a straight nerf to stam DPS because there is no interesting alternative to use in its place. You either just deal with the DPS loss or drop it all together and spam your spammable again.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »
    Reason to nerf poison injection was not because of buffing dots, but because you could use two executes in same time (poison injection +bar swap to melee weapon with execute)

I know it only hurts bow/bow but it was needed.

Why switch on nb you can use PI and class skill on same bar not that i do but js no need to switch bars to do it if your that hungry for 2 executes
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on October 13, 2019 9:57PM