The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Request:] Tablets, books and letter furnishings with custom text

Araneae6537
Araneae6537
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As stated in the title, I would love to have tablets, books and letters which in which we could enter the text displayed! :)

I love experiencing the stories of quests and delves with several of those in Summerset being my favorites so far! I’ve been thinking of furnishing one of my homes as a haunted house this month and how cool would it be to be able to similarly tell a story not only with the furnishings, but tablets/books/letters that visitors could read along the way!

In the meantime, is this doable in EHT by chance? I need to delve into the tutorials!
  • Chryseia
    Chryseia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ErinM31 !

Yes, there are a few ways you can do this with EHT.

(1) you can use NPC fx to flash custom subtitle messages for visitors, triggered on the visitor's proximity to the fx. Technically, NPC fx come with a visual, but since they are fx, you can simply resize them to tiny and embed them inside of mounts, pets, or just... the ground, etc, to tell your story how you want to. You can even change the name of the NPC saying the message in the edit fx menu.

(2) you can use text fx to create custom written messages that you can "lay" on top of either in-game decors (i.e., using the back of a sturdy painting to create a sign, for example, to put the text on) or other fx (like the parchment fx's or open journal fx). you can recolor and resize the text fx, but resizing it can take a bit of tinkering because the letters jump a bit until you find their perfect happy place. Also, putting any transparent background fx (including text) over another fx, can create a fickering effect that you will need to tinker with to mitigate. Also note that the text only comes in certain fonts, none of which look really eso-y, and that if you want them to be appropriately sized in game, they may be quite small and hard to read. However, they can certainly be a great tool for creating things like personal diary entries and signposts!

(3) you can use "library" fx to place "books" made of fx, which when you click on them (outside of edit mode) can pull up a specific text from ANY in-game book library (not just guild reprints), including eidetic memory and the style pages. While this isn't truly custom text, it does give you literally thousands of texts to cherrypick from to help build out your story. You have to have already found the text in-game though to see it when the fx tries to call it up.

Hope that helps!
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    7puwnu8uxhpz.png

example of using FX to make text. Keep in mind these were intentionally over the top and gaudy looking.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    example of the second - excuse my UI, you can't see the name of the book without it

awq53bkgh554.png
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chryseia thank you so much for the detailed descriptions of the different options available in EHT and thank you @StabbityDoom for the example images! :smiley:
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an add-on which anyone would recommend for identifying literature which one has not yet collected? Perhaps showing on the map when pulled up or even highlight it with a glow or something onscreen? When questing alone, I at least pick up every book / letter / etc. and read all quest related, but not while doing dungeons, where I only grab Lorebooks if I spot them. With this EHT feature, I’d especially like to make sure I’ve collected all literature from regions and dungeons I’ve explored. I searched the forums, but perhaps not with the right terms to find what I’m looking for, and I’d rather not just install one without recommendation (Idk if it’s possible for one to “break” things but I am still cautious :sweat_smile: )
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 28, 2019 11:42PM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    Is there an add-on which anyone would recommend for identifying literature which one has not yet collected?

There is an addon called Lorebooks. After you get it installed though you'll need to adjust some of it's settings because by default it only worries about Shalidors Library, you can adjust it to encompass every book in the game though to appear on both map and minimap and to not show them once you learn them. :)
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info288-LoreBooks.html
    You can also download this through Minion if that's how you do your addons.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an add-on which anyone would recommend for identifying literature which one has not yet collected?

There is an addon called Lorebooks. After you get it installed though you'll need to adjust some of it's settings because by default it only worries about Shalidors Library, you can adjust it to encompass every book in the game though to appear on both map and minimap and to not show them once you learn them. :)
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info288-LoreBooks.html
    You can also download this through Minion if that's how you do your addons.

Thank you so much! :smiley:
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 6, 2019 6:23PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryseia wrote: »
    Hi @ErinM31 !

Yes, there are a few ways you can do this with EHT.

(1) you can use NPC fx to flash custom subtitle messages for visitors, triggered on the visitor's proximity to the fx. Technically, NPC fx come with a visual, but since they are fx, you can simply resize them to tiny and embed them inside of mounts, pets, or just... the ground, etc, to tell your story how you want to. You can even change the name of the NPC saying the message in the edit fx menu.

(2) you can use text fx to create custom written messages that you can "lay" on top of either in-game decors (i.e., using the back of a sturdy painting to create a sign, for example, to put the text on) or other fx (like the parchment fx's or open journal fx). you can recolor and resize the text fx, but resizing it can take a bit of tinkering because the letters jump a bit until you find their perfect happy place. Also, putting any transparent background fx (including text) over another fx, can create a fickering effect that you will need to tinker with to mitigate. Also note that the text only comes in certain fonts, none of which look really eso-y, and that if you want them to be appropriately sized in game, they may be quite small and hard to read. However, they can certainly be a great tool for creating things like personal diary entries and signposts!

(3) you can use "library" fx to place "books" made of fx, which when you click on them (outside of edit mode) can pull up a specific text from ANY in-game book library (not just guild reprints), including eidetic memory and the style pages. While this isn't truly custom text, it does give you literally thousands of texts to cherrypick from to help build out your story. You have to have already found the text in-game though to see it when the fx tries to call it up.

Hope that helps!
    example of the second - excuse my UI, you can't see the name of the book without it

awq53bkgh554.png

I’ve been experimenting with EHT and have a few questions:

1) Do I have to finish particular mages guild quest to be able to access books not in Shalidor’s library? I tried placing each of the three library items and the only one I had options for was that one. “Orange is the New Black” and “Eidetic Memory” did not show any options.

2) How do I set one of these objects to one particular book, as in your example, @StabbityDoom ?

3) How would I then place multiple books? The interface said I could only have one instance of the eidetic memory object.

Thank you and sorry for so many questions! I tried searching online but have yet to find any written reference or tutorials. 🤔
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. - This part I don't know @R_K probably does
    2. Once you place the object (book) select it and it will have a drop down menu.
    3. That I also don't know, I've never tried! Sorry I'm no help, i'll take a look when i get into the game
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. - This part I don't know @R_K probably does
    2. Once you place the object (book) select it and it will have a drop down menu.
    3. That I also don't know, I've never tried! Sorry I'm no help, i'll take a look when i get into the game

Thank you! I had thought that interacting with the book while not in decorating mode had always presented me with the drop down menus, but perhaps I was mistaken. 🤔

Out of curiosity, what are the options in the “Orange is the New Black” book? The style motifs? But then I should have had options for sure as I was trying it today with my crafter... hmm... 🤔

I’m hoping that I can use this feature to use some of the crazy and creepy notes I’ve found in delves and dungeons! :grin:
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been experimenting with EHT and have a few questions:

1) Do I have to finish particular mages guild quest to be able to access books not in Shalidor’s library? I tried placing each of the three library items and the only one I had options for was that one. “Orange is the New Black” and “Eidetic Memory” did not show any options.

2) How do I set one of these objects to one particular book, as in your example, @StabbityDoom ?

3) How would I then place multiple books? The interface said I could only have one instance of the eidetic memory object.

Thank you and sorry for so many questions! I tried searching online but have yet to find any written reference or tutorials. 🤔

First, a big shout out to everyone that's been answering questions - every bit is appreciated! <3

Now, as for these few here... =)

1. Yes; the game requires that you unlock Eidetic Memory - the ability to remember everything and anything that you've ever read - via the Mage's Guild quest line. (I won't delve any deeper to avoid spoilers, etc.) ;-)

2. Under the FX menu's "Library" category, new FX will appear once you have unlocked the Eidetic Memory via that quest line. Your personal knowledge of the books matters as much as it does for those who want to read them. Nothing comes for free, after all... Muwahahahhahahaha. (Ok, I'm done now. Forgive me.) =P

3. The new Library FX that will unlock are individual volumes. Placing any one of them allows you to choose (with a drop down at the top) which book, from that volume, you want this particular effect to "be." Also, it is these "single book" Library effects that allow placement of as many as you wish. So once you have Eidetic Memory unlocked, you can place one, two or 10 of each book from every single volume, or even, say, 100 or 200 of the same book - whatever suits your literary needs best. ;-)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much, @R_K ! :blush:<3

Just one more question before I’m off to work on those Mages’ Guild quests! :sweat_smile: You wrote “Your personal knowledge of the books matters as much as it does for those who want to read them.” — does that mean that a visitor to my home would not be able to read the Eidetic Memory books/objects I’ve placed unless they’ve met certain criteria such as unlocking Eidetic Memory themselves and/or having first found the referenced book in Tamriel?

Thank you again for these tools and all your help! :smiley:
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ErinM31 I apologize for the delayed response; but yes, visitors must have Eidetic Memory in order to read Eidetic and Motif books provided by EHT. With that said, they do not need Eidetic memory in order to read any of Shalidor's Library - to read those, their character simply needs to have discovered the book themselves at any point. (I believe - someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong - it's been a while. ;))