The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DPS is through the roof right now. Why are so many people still terribad at it?

• D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orjix wrote: »
    I have been trying for so long on my magblade to get over the 20k mark, and no matter what i seem to do it just doesnt work. i can copy other peoples builds who hit way higher that the 20k mark and try my best to light attack weave and keep my dots up, but i just CANT hit 20k+. At this point ive given up, i have heard "oh its easy, let me help you!" so many times and even after having them there and do what they tell me to do, i can never seem to pull it off. /ohwell

You're probably trying to cancel too quickly. Focus on just weaving for now then you can work on animation canceling if you choose to.
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terribad? *shoots self*
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Swap bar. Light attack, skill. Etc. etc. etc. start over.

There isn't a guide saying that you can or should do this once every second while fighting.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    Likely due to bar rotation and being reluctant to light attack weave. I have seen hybrids that can hit for 30-35k so no excuses.

Both DDs in this story seem to have been spamming a channeled attack, so absence of weaves is VERY plausible.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately I know I played with some bought accounts. Cp 1100 and spamming crystal frag and their friend spammed lethal arrow. So horrible
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well i just learned that i've parsing on the wrong dummy this whole time. Been using the 6mil skele when i should have been using the iron atronach.. I instantly gained about 13k DPS...

from 33K to 46K... and that was in my vMA build...

so maybe there are other like me.
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I blame the system.
    Scoreboard competition?
    Bring in just stamCros for 200k dps even though the dungeon can be cleared with 40k dps.

I also cant believe that there isnt a single guild which welcomes players, helps them become the best they can with their class of choice, and organize raids for them. So yeah I blame PvE players as well.
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on September 30, 2019 11:41PM
  • Kali_Despoine
    Kali_Despoine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do I constantly get in either group of terribaddy’s or godlike Monster DPS.
    If you run w/ me you get a terribad godlike monster who is out to pull the entire dungeon at once.
    And here's an example of said toxicity and elitism I've been talking about.
    I have known Kylewwefan for many years now and he is a person that will help you out if he can. PvP or PvE He may lean to the elite side but an elitist I think not.

Players (mostly newer) will take their 7th Legend and Fury w/ Troll King and think they can dps a vet DLC Dungeon. LOL scrubs be holding you back w/ their PvP build

• LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can hit 44k on my 1 pet sorc . It takes a bit of practise on the dummy . But you will see the results speak for themselves I still need the ma inferno so hit another 3-5k . Just practise 20-30 mins a day .
  • LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »
    Well i just learned that i've parsing on the wrong dummy this whole time. Been using the 6mil skele when i should have been using the iron atronach.. I instantly gained about 13k DPS...

from 33K to 46K... and that was in my vMA build...

so maybe there are other like me.

3 mill is for testing dps 6 mill for sustain and trial dummy is still not used by all or as well as it normall adds 10-15k min
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word... LAG!

When your pushing 400 ping light attack weaving is impossible because the server doesn't register your attacks fast enough and as long as light attacks do the most damage there will always be a ceiling and a floor.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn’t tell you how much DPS I do. Don’t pay attention to the numbers when practicing. I find it meaningless.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS should take Raideens solution and simply make dungeons 5 man (3) DPS instead of two. This would help with the all to common shortcoming of DPS in dungeon runs. Other games do it, works great.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! Just like the OP, the experiences I do not share are also not real. That means that 70+k dps does not exist. See, no matter what I do, I haven't hit that number, therefore there's no excuse for anyone hitting that number.

Yeesh.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After my first 6 months or so I had to come to the forum to ask why my dps sucked. At the time I really thought that good dps meant spamming Puncturing Spikes. It is rather odd that one needs to resource outside sources to "git gud". :/

But lets face it. The number of players who are poor at dps far out number those that are considered good. It's strange that completing so much end game content is to a significant degree dependent on high dps...yet there is nothing in the game that teaches you how to achieve it.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    After my first 6 months or so I had to come to the forum to ask why my dps sucked. At the time I really thought that good dps meant spamming Puncturing Spikes. It is rather odd that one needs to resource outside sources to "git gud". :/

But lets face it. The number of players who are poor at dps far out number those that are considered good. It's strange that completing so much end game content is to a significant degree dependent on high dps...yet there is nothing in the game that teaches you how to achieve it.

They'd rather sell you a $30.00 skill unlock, or a $125.00 house.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people just don't care about trying to improve. They're playing to "relax," and taking a couple of minutes to kill one large add is relaxing to them.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How is it possible to do a combined less than 10k damage? I can do nothing but heavy attacks and monster set occasionally firing off and do 7k (tested because I was curious).

Play a tank in PvE...It's an enlightening experience.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For real my people. All you have to do is lay out every dot you can think of in no particular order. Start on back bar, work your way to and through the front bar. Then start over. Ult dump whenever you feel like it. I guarantee you’re gonna hit 25 to 30k DPS without even trying hard.

Not everyone changes their build whenever a patch changes things? (So maybe they don't even have a bunch of dots). Or not everyone cares to be 'pro' (personally, I don't use the second bar. The whole switching back&forth thing, and keeping track of what bar you're on and what's on each one? Meh, no thanks. I've never been great with managing hotkeys for a bunch of things - I was a clicker in WoW, for example. And I play RTS's like Starcraft on 'very slow' and my speed is more 'seconds per action' rather than 'actions per second.' But don't worry, I don't do dungeons. So I'm not sucking up your group's total DPS. o:) )

How is it possible to do a combined less than 10k damage? I can do nothing but heavy attacks and monster set occasionally firing off and do 7k (tested because I was curious).

I'm sure there's plenty of people without monster sets. That would drop a chunk off that 7k. Add onto that not having gear that's up-to-date for their level, and probably not golded.... little things, but they add up.
  • Heyodude
    Heyodude
    ✭✭✭
    Lately I know I played with some bought accounts. Cp 1100 and spamming crystal frag and their friend spammed lethal arrow. So horrible

so many accounts wouldnt have been sold if zos didnt make the game so bad these last few patches, 7 of my guildees have sold their accounts since the last patch.
  • b95fister
    b95fister
    ✭✭✭
    Orjix wrote: »
    I have been trying for so long on my magblade to get over the 20k mark, and no matter what i seem to do it just doesnt work. i can copy other peoples builds who hit way higher that the 20k mark and try my best to light attack weave and keep my dots up, but i just CANT hit 20k+. At this point ive given up, i have heard "oh its easy, let me help you!" so many times and even after having them there and do what they tell me to do, i can never seem to pull it off. /ohwell

I am on mobile so I can t see you sig. if you are on console hit me up I will help you. I spend much of my eso time finding random pugs and helping those that will accept it.

It’s my mission to raise Xbox dps rates!

For your magblade try a simple rotation. If your are max cp and have MS+other dps set and use shadow Mundus just weaving swallow soul should net you 20k dps. If fact just weaving any spamable should net you over 20k.

My advice to all those that try to improve dps is to just weave spamable first to nearest of perfection then keep adding more skills one by one. Don’t try a 400000000 button roto from the start.
    Edited by b95fister on October 1, 2019 2:46AM
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heyodude wrote: »

so many accounts wouldnt have been sold if zos didnt make the game so bad these last few patches, 7 of my guildees have sold their accounts since the last patch.

Zenimax would like to know your location.
  • mongoLC
    mongoLC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because they have made it to difficult for new players. [snip]

[Edit for bashing.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 1, 2019 3:24AM
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mongoLC wrote: »
    Because they have made it to difficult for new players. [snip]

[Edit for bashing.]

I’m going to assume the edited parts were where it got anti-overland babymode.

Cuz otherwise I’d have to wonder if we’ve played the same ESO
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because people are clueless on how to dps, not everyone's fault but people are very ignorant, lazy, dont possess the ability to weave or perform a rotation or are just dead on the floor

Sometimes people just don't have access to trial gear and dungeon gear farming can be hard for some

Doesnt take much to google or YouTube a rotation

All in all, it's mostly a l2p problem that people cant perform good dps
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heyodude wrote: »
    Don’t worry, the dot thing goes away soon.

Thank jeebuz I can get back to engaging gameplay.

The dot thing was a useful game mechanic for PvE. It brought back the gameplay which was after morrowind chapter. Removing it, will be a bad idea.

I was playing a healer on Vet dungeons this week, casually. I joined a pug group of low CP lvls, that was doing bad DPS or never used any dot skills on that dungeon. So, instead I was applying dots to the targets and healing my allies as a templar. Which ultimately led to a smooth run.

While on the PvP side, it's horrible. The amount of dots or least amount of skill required to kill your targets is painfully irritating....
    Also, most of the balance are from PvP perspective.

If they somehow could separate make PvE and PvP, in terms of gameplay. Then it would be a start.
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I watch players of all ranks have long protracted fights with overland and trash mobs. Some people simply do not care how long it takes to kill something.
    High CPs are charging ultimate for battlegrounds this way ;)
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not trough the roof, it is over the roof...

On my Mag DK wearing Light Fortified brass + Shacklebreaker - 1hnd and shield front bar and Frost Destro backbar i pulled 40k dps on the 20 mil target dummy ....
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    For real my people. All you have to do is lay out every dot you can think of in no particular order. Start on back bar, work your way to and through the front bar. Then start over. Ult dump whenever you feel like it. I guarantee you’re gonna hit 25 to 30k DPS without even trying hard.

No excuses. No sweaty rotation nonsense. No animation cancel. This Maelstrom Staff ain’t gonna make you all of a sudden good.

Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Light attack, skill. Swap bar. Light attack, skill. Etc. etc. etc. start over.

Uhm, not all of us are cyber jocks. Some of us play for fun.

Curious, how come you are a cyber jock? Couldn't hack it in real life? Now you belittle in the cyber world now? How very jocky of you.
    Hahaha seriously that's kinda stupid argument. I have met many well educated gamers in the past 20 years. Some lawyers, IT engineers, doctors etc. I will not brag here about myself, but you would be surprised how many good and dedicated gamers are successful in the real world. I think it's because they have winner's instincts, but what's most important, they are time effective and they are very intelligent.

Personally I find a pleasure in theory crafting and all of my builds are self made and adjusted to my level of skill. I'm not reaching top world dps, but I'm able to complete any PVE content without being carried by others. Moreover my builds are pug optimalised and noob resistant, so I can carry salty casuals ;)
    Edited by Commancho on October 1, 2019 7:23AM
  • TriangularChicken
    TriangularChicken
    ✭✭✭✭

No excuses. No sweaty rotation nonsense. No animation cancel. This Maelstrom Staff ain’t gonna make you all of a sudden good.

And here's an example of said toxicity and elitism I've been talking about. Just because you find something easy doesn't mean you should mock other people for having difficulty with it. They are not "terribad". Stop with the rudeness. How about helping people out while being nice? Typical ESO elitist poisoning the game.

I've pugged dungeons and trials a long time. I've seen many people struggle to get 15k dps. It's hard for a lot of people. There's a lot to it. Calling people names doesn't increase their dps. People react badly to venomous criticism. They would be far more likely to take advice and increase dps from someone who is decent acting.

You pretend as if there is no information and advice on the internet which is not true - even the biggest noobs that live under a rock should know the name Alcast by know. He has a lot of advice on his website, is that not decent acting of him? And yet people refuse to take his help and get better. They come to the forums and cry for nerfs, they want to add a dps cap (lmao) to the game, etc etc.

OP definitely isn't an elitist. Wanna know why? Cause he is obviously mad about getting bad ppl in his groups. A true elitist would not even do a dungeon/trial with randoms - not worth running with people that refuse to learn.
This discussion has been closed.