The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Did you feel offended...

InvictusApollo
InvictusApollo
✭✭✭✭✭
... when Augur of Obscure called you a "meatbrain". Quite a derogatory name sin't it? But quite correct. Not entirely, cause I don't know if you can call meat a non muscle tissue, but hey lets not be picky. We kinda are meatbrains. And we actually are inferior beings to someone like Augur of Obscure. I can feel his annoyance and some kind of misery with the fact that he is forced to interract with inferior beings. And loneliness - definitely loneliness, paired with desperation. Why desperation? He is so lonely that he forces himself to interract with inferior beings who annoy him and make him facepalm almost every time they say something.

But that is not what I wanted to talk about. No. It's the term "meatbrain". Derogatory... just like another word. One that strikes fear in the hearts of common people while lighting flames of selfrighteous rage in others. [removed inappropriate comment]

I didn't feel offended. I kinda am a "Meatbrain". And I did feel a little bit of negative emotions behind Augur's words. There was definitely contempt. Does that constitute "hate speech". You know - the made up term created just to give certain people a weapon when they enter a battle of minds... armless. And it got me thinking: if I can choose what I feel and how I react when being described with derogatory terms, then what if others did it as well? What if we stopped caring about words? What if we used them on a daily basis, but without the negative emotional payload? You know - like friends calling names each other as a sign of sympathy. Or if we at least pretended that this is the way they are being used. How quickly would people get tired with trying to use those words as insults? How quickly would we change the meaning of those words to something neutral?

It has been done before. Words meaning gets changed over time. Let me give you an example from my language. There is a common word nowadays that is considered a vulgarism representing a woman employing herself in the oldest job in the word. But a century ago it meant nothing more than: "a girl". Even my Grandmother once used it to describe herself and her childhood friend when telling us a story from childhood. Another word which now translates to "woman", once was an insult, a derogatory term to describe some women. Words evolve. Their meaning gets changed - no: we change it!

What I'm leading my speech into is: thank you to whoever at ZOS put this not so politically correct character (Augur) into their game. It gave ESO some deeper meaning and a way to make people think. That is what distinguishes a good game from "just another product of a game company". Congratulations for that!

[removed discussing disciplinary action]
Edited by ZOS_JesC on September 30, 2019 4:44PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s not up to the person using the word to decide if it’s offensive.

It’s the person on the receiving end who decides.

That’s why it’s such an issue irl.

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know what did offend me? Having to suffer such a grind for a few skills. THAT was an offense.
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    i was so offended i actually had to step away from the game to fully recover, some people say my skin is as thin as a 90 year old ladies
  • Heyodude
    Heyodude
    ✭✭✭
    Being offended is something that happens within yourself, so you are entirely at fault.
  • Maggi12
    Maggi12
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit offtop. But it is good to know abot this.
    Your 'real' brain resides in your mental bodies (human beings may have up to 5 of them, which depends on evolutionary level) and all 'calculations' reside and take place here.
    So, your 'meat brain''s job is to provide energy for mental brain, thats all/. Yes, it is so simple.
    Very simplified, your physical brain is an energy supplier for your real, menal brain.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s my secret... I’m always offended.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maggi12 wrote: »
    A little bit offtop. But it is good to know abot this.
    Your 'real' brain resides in your mental bodies (human beings may have up to 5 of them, which depends on evolutionary level) and all 'calculations' reside and take place here.
    So, your 'meat brain''s job is to provide energy for mental brain, thats all/. Yes, it is so simple.
    Very simplified, your physical brain is an energy supplier for your real, menal brain.

This sounds like some esotheric gibberish. Where did you get that from? O_o
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Satire post?
    Being offended is the least of your worries on this earth. The fact that being offended is even a topic of major discussion today, shows just how good you have it and from how high up on your privilege you shout to the rest of the world. THAT is offensive but even then you won't hear about it because there are bigger problems than you.
    He who can't make comedy out of their tragedies shall die a tragic death.
    Edited by Vhozek on September 30, 2019 10:10AM
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif

"It's not a hate crime"
    "Well I hated it"
    Probably my favorite bit of that entire show.
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was offended by the proposed patch notes of 5.0.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im

So

Triggered
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys... I'm ytrying to make an adulkt discussion about how games can inspire people to think and change the word and you just tunnel vision into "hate speech". I feel like not everyone read my entire post - as of people just read the first sentence or two and nothing else.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, my favorite forum game: troll who put too much effort in it or someone's legitimate delusional ramblings...

Vote now on your phones!
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel offended that whoever thought deeply about this imaginative questline expects us to finish it...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. "meatbrain" implies strength. That is hardly an insult.
    And by the way I think that you wanted to use the word: "condescending", not "condensing".

It usually only rains "supreme beings" after we obliterate them. :smiley:

(Ghost... I could not pass that one up...)
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • imwargasmo
    imwargasmo
    ✭✭
    This is why I hate people.
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys... I'm ytrying to make an adulkt discussion about how games can inspire people to think and change the word and you just tunnel vision into "hate speech". I feel like not everyone read my entire post - as of people just read the first sentence or two and nothing else.

No.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

Actually, and increasingly, someone else might just decide to be offended on your behalf.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, not the same thing.

And this isn't the place. The right place would be a rl venue with lots of people who may be affected by what you're referring to. You can explain how it's the same as an advanced hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional being calling a relatively primitive humanoid a meatbrain. I'm sure it will go over well.

Whatever it is you're talking about of course, because I'd never engage in a forum discussion about serious rl issues.
    Edited by zyk on September 30, 2019 11:50AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

That’s also why people play up being offended. It gives them a feeling of control.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Offended people are the reason why we can't have art anymore.
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is race in the head of these people ALL the time?

• Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    Ah, my favorite forum game: troll who put too much effort in it or someone's legitimate delusional ramblings...

Vote now on your phones!

Are you......are you spying on me?!?!?

• Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word being discussed here is 'N'wah'.
    I hope.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"We´re watching you... scum."

Still fees like a compliment TBH. And made me feel less guilty about robbing the Vivec vaults blind.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on September 30, 2019 11:54AM
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it fascinating how the word meatbrain made you think of that other words in relation to certain types of people.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »

"We´re watching you... scum."

Still fees like a compliment TBH. And made me feel less guilty about robbing the Vivec vaults blind.

"Make it quick, outlander."
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »

Vote now on your phones!

"delusional" - is that how tou call all counterintuitive ideas that do not align with current opinions of the masses?
    Should I remind you that over 84% of masses don't have their IQ scores even one standard deviation above expected value? And only 2% have it higher or equal than two standard deviations above expected value? In other words: only 15% of human population have mental capacity to operate on higher levels of abstraction or on many levels of abstraction at once. When you think about that, then you might become less trusting towards the "wisdom of the crowd".

And here we have a perfect demonstration of the word delusional.... Don't do drugs and post on forums, ffs.
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want everyone to know that 86.7% of all statistics are made up. And I am offended because your were offended that someone might be offended by something that offended someone and is not offesive.
This discussion has been closed.