Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer dilemma

Victor_Blade
Victor_Blade
✭✭✭✭
I was having trouble with builds and fighting sorcerer class so a PvP main friend recommended shield breaker set. I tried to use it on sorcerer but he used swords and bow and he didn't even use shield. Is sorcerer so strong that it doesn't even need magic and shield?
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are always at least two build types for each class, stam and mag. Sounds like your friend is a stam sorc which doesn't use shields. It is mag sorc that does.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorcs don't use shields (generally).
    Some mag sorcs don't use them either now, because of the nerfs to shields and the availability of a good magicka HoT now.

Mag sorcs are still a strong class in competent hands, but they aren't the pvp gods they used to be. Stam sorcs have never been top of the heap but have their strengths. You don't say what class you are fighting them on, but you'd probably benefit from watching some you tube videos to get a sense of the usual sorcerer damage combos and weaknesses.

Shieldbreaker is a very strong damage set, and the extra damage buff also kicks in versus mini shields like Reinforced from CP and the psijic passive shield.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    There are always at least two build types for each class, stam and mag. Sounds like your friend is a stam sorc which doesn't use shields. It is mag sorc that does.

But why would a sorcerer use sword and stamina? Isn't that kind of weird?
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Some mag sorcs don't use them either now, because of the nerfs to shields and the availability of a good magicka HoT now.

Mag sorcs are still a strong class in competent hands, but they aren't the pvp gods they used to be. Stam sorcs have never been top of the heap but have their strengths. You don't say what class you are fighting them on, but you'd probably benefit from watching some you tube videos to get a sense of the usual sorcerer damage combos and weaknesses.

Shieldbreaker is a very strong damage set, and the extra damage buff also kicks in versus mini shields like Reinforced from CP and the psijic passive shield.

But sorcerers shouldn't use swords and stuff. They should use magic and die fast to stamina warriors.

Instead sorcerers can take damage from 5 people at once. Thus why I got shield breaker and now sorcerers don't even use shield what.
    Edited by Victor_Blade on September 29, 2019 3:42PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer are little balls of lightning. They can't be contained, let alone beat by mere mortals.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ever hear of a battlemage?
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But sorcerers should use swords and stuff. They should use magic and die fast to stamina warriors.

Instead sorcerers can take damage from 5 people at once. Thus why I got shield breaker and now sorcerers don't even use shield what.

@Victor_Blade Please don't confuse the class with the player you encountered.

Sorcerers as a class can't just take on 5 players... the class is not the OP beast it once was in PvP at all, its the player who makes ANY class seem strong or weak. And they certainly shouldn't automatically 'die fast to stamina warriors'.

Its all about the player and the build.

Stam sorcs won't use shields, and not even all magicka sorcs use shields. And tbh shields have now had SO many nerfs that they themselves are really not an issue. Of course its possible to make a build to make them very strong, but that build would have weaknesses elsewhere.

Its also worth knowing that however you setup your charachter in PvP you will come across builds that counter you... setups that have strengths that make the most of your weaknesses and will seem overly strong, but maybe to other people on different builds willl seem weak. Learn to pick your fights.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Sorcerer are little balls of lightning. They can't be contained, let alone beat by mere mortals.

Sorcerers should be mages with spells and stuff but all I see are sorcerers summoning dinosaurs who can kill you and block your view at the bank or crafting station.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    NinchiTV wrote: »

Battle mates use staffs still and play at melee range. But what is a battle mage when they teleport 6 times when even I run towards them with my mage templar. Should just cowardly skill like teleport exist in the game?
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »

But sorcerers should use swords and stuff. They should use magic and die fast to stamina warriors.

@Victor_Blade Please don't confuse the class with the player you encountered.

Sorcerers as a class can't just take on 5 players... the class is not the OP beast it once was in PvP at all, its the player who makes ANY class seem strong or weak. And they certainly shouldn't automatically 'die fast to stamina warriors'.

Its all about the player and the build.

Stam sorcs won't use shields, and not even all magicka sorcs use shields. And tbh shields have now had SO many nerfs that they themselves are really not an issue. Of course its possible to make a build to make them very strong, but that build would have weaknesses elsewhere.

Its also worth knowing that however you setup your charachter in PvP you will come across builds that counter you... setups that have strengths that make the most of your weaknesses and will seem overly strong, but maybe to other people on different builds willl seem weak. Learn to pick your fights.

I've watched many sorcerer players who can take on 5 or 6 people alone. My potato friends who are worse at the game than me can deal with many people by hiding behind dinosaurs or using 3 shields and heals. It just seems broken so I got shield breaker and then some don't even use shields now like wow.

Just play a sorcerer like a sorcerer. Why make it something else?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag Templar is one of the strongest classes in the game rn, equally skilled a magplar should destroy a stam sorc. You’re just losing to better players. Don’t run shield breaker. Just get a damage and sustain set and go to town. I use war maiden and bright throat with spring loaded infusion food.
  • chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭
    buff sorc
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Mag Templar is one of the strongest classes in the game rn, equally skilled a magplar should destroy a stam sorc. You’re just losing to better players. Don’t run shield breaker. Just get a damage and sustain set and go to town. I use war maiden and bright throat with spring loaded infusion food.

I don't play mage templar much but yeah they are stronger than sorcerer. But sorcerer has too good mobility compared to other classes in which case my mage dragon Knight just feels slow. And sorcerers can face tank soo much damage and their combination skills hit so hard. I don't think such an easy to master class should have everything like mobility, defense and damage
    Edited by Victor_Blade on September 29, 2019 3:59PM
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc is really strong in the right hands and like many have said, they don’t use shields. Not sure how happy they will be with fizzy swings losing the knockdown but I think they will still be good. Gotta pressure them and line up burst combos.

Magsorc isn’t as good as it used to be but people certainly make them work. There are some trolly builds out there that are super “tanky “ as hell. Fought a couple today where I just couldn’t kill them but they couldn’t kill me. Eventually just went our separate ways. I’d line up my combo and get them to execute range but every time before I could finish them they would healing ward and shield back up and get back to full health. Mind you, my build uses spriggans so I lose a lot of damage against them when they are shielded. Switching to new moon instead of spriggans next patch if the set stays the way it is now on PTS. For many though it’s a war of attrition. Not all magsorcs can keep shields up like the ones I fought today. Eventually you wear them down and can kill them.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But sorcerers shouldn't use swords and stuff. They should use magic and die fast to stamina warriors.

It is obvious that you are either trolling or are very, very, very new to this game. How could you be oblivious to the fact that each class has both stamina and magicka version, is beyond me.
    Just because you started using a new set doesn't mean that you will crush everything in PvP.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Victor_Blade new to elder scrolls? Magic and blades are intertwined. Take the flavor text for sorcerers from Oblivion-
    Sorcerer
    Besting the most well-equipped fighters, they rely on the spells of the mystic arts. Unique to these mages is the bodily stamina to be armed with the thickest armor.

I mean, does this look like what you think of when you think a sorc?

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

But that is the sorc class in elder scrolls 4. Now this game, elder scrolls online, takes that a step further, any class can be viable in any role, meaning you can build each class to be on of the 4 main roles in the game, tank, healer, Stam DPS and mag DPS. You need to widen your thoughts on what a class can be.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on September 29, 2019 10:52PM
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc is really strong in the right hands and like many have said, they don’t use shields. Not sure how happy they will be with fizzy swings losing the knockdown but I think they will still be good. Gotta pressure them and line up burst combos.

Magsorc isn’t as good as it used to be but people certainly make them work. There are some trolly builds out there that are super “tanky “ as hell. Fought a couple today where I just couldn’t kill them but they couldn’t kill me. Eventually just went our separate ways. I’d line up my combo and get them to execute range but every time before I could finish them they would healing ward and shield back up and get back to full health. Mind you, my build uses spriggans so I lose a lot of damage against them when they are shielded. Switching to new moon instead of spriggans next patch if the set stays the way it is now on PTS. For many though it’s a war of attrition. Not all magsorcs can keep shields up like the ones I fought today. Eventually you wear them down and can kill them.

3 shields and restoration staff heal. I think sorcerers can have great defense while also having really strong offense.

And I still don't understand why someone would make a sorcerer use swords and stuff. That just doesn't make any sense. It works on other classes just not sorcerer.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭

It is obvious that you are either trolling or are very, very, very new to this game. How could you be oblivious to the fact that each class has both stamina and magicka version, is beyond me.
    Just because you started using a new set doesn't mean that you will crush everything in PvP.

I have only seen good sorcerers with staff and lightning magic. The sword welding sorcerer is just not good. Go and duel Emma overload and you'll understand how good sorcerers are. Not sword wielding ones
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    @Victor_Blade new to elder scrolls? Magic and blades are intertwined. Take the flavor text for sorcerers from Oblivion-
    Sorcerer
    Besting the most well-equipped fighters, they rely on the spells of the mystic arts. Unique to these mages is the bodily stamina to be armed with the thickest armor.

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

But that is the sorc class in elder scrolls 4. Now this game, elder scrolls online, takes that a step further, any class can be viable in any role, meaning you can build each class to be on of the 4 main roles in the game, tank, healer, Stam DPS and mag DPS. You need to widen your thoughts on what a class can be.

That's not a sorcerer. That's a foot soldier. Battle mates are like templar/paladins. Sorcerers are sorcerers and they don't use swords unless theyre some op main character from an isekai anime.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only seen good sorcerers with staff and lightning magic. The sword welding sorcerer is just not good. Go and duel Emma overload and you'll understand how good sorcerers are. Not sword wielding ones

Your problem is that when you look at someone, all you see is class. You are blind to the most important thing - the skill. A class is nothing more than a weapon. And a skilled warrior can kill a peasant with a fork, even if said peasant gets a full plate armor and the best greatsword.
    Your other problem is that you allow yourself to be bound, constricted by your own presuppositions.
    It all boils down to one statement: learn to play and stop whining that other people are smart enough to use any weapon they have in their repertoire to get an advantage over you. Just accept it and with time you will be doing much, much better.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭

Your problem is that when you look at someone, all you see is class. You are blind to the most important thing - the skill. A class is nothing more than a weapon. And a skilled warrior can kill a peasant with a fork, even if said peasant gets a full plate armor and the best greatsword.
    Your other problem is that you allow yourself to be bound, constricted by your own presuppositions.
    It all boils down to one statement: learn to play and stop whining that other people are smart enough to use any weapon they have in their repertoire to get an advantage over you. Just accept it and with time you will be doing much, much better.

A skilled warrior can win against a peasant with a fork. But a peasant with overbuffed meta class can beat any good player. Example sorcerer with dinosaur familiars against everything. Now not many sorcerers use familiars but they are still strong cos before they didn't have any short comings and now they're more towards balanced side.

And it's not about learn to play. Sorcerers should use staves and magic. Non mage sorcerers shouldn't exist and that's why people cry for buffs. Using swords on a sorcerer is like driving a car inside a lake. They just don't work.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

That's not a sorcerer. That's a foot soldier. Battle mates are like templar/paladins. Sorcerers are sorcerers and they don't use swords unless theyre some op main character from an isekai anime.

That IS a sorcerer in elder scrolls VI. You are so closed minded.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lmao now I know you're a troll, Emma.
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    stam sorc gets a new skill next update see pts patch notes

•Bound Armor: •Bound Armaments: Reworked this ability into an offensive skill. Activating the ability no longer grants Block Mitigation for 3 seconds, but instead puts a 40 second duration effect on you that summons a Bound dagger any time you deal damage with a Light or Heavy Attack, with a maximum of 4 weapons being able to be active at any given time. Reactivating the ability causes the weapons to prime and quickly seek your target after a short delay. The ability continues to passively increase your Maximum Stamina and damage dealt with Light Attacks.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer have Destruction and Conjuration as main schools of magic, even conjured weapons.

Mage have Destruction and Alteration

I think ESO Sorcerer represents well both classes, stamina and magicka.

Ofc it would be awesome to have bound weapons like those in Oblivion.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NinchiTV wrote: »

Or spellsword
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

Ainz all gawn greatest sorcerer is hybrid as je uses both sword and stuff, though it is clearly obvious that he is stronger when he uses his staff. Learn from our supreme ruler.
  • Ucarious
    Ucarious
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

Ainz all gawn greatest sorcerer is hybrid as je uses both sword and stuff, though it is clearly obvious that he is stronger when he uses his staff. Learn from our supreme ruler.

Ainz Ooal Gown*
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ucarious wrote: »
    Sorcerer

OB-class-Sorcerer.jpg

Ainz Ooal Gown*

Thank you