The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

When "Class Identity" involves mechanics, it will be secondary to "Play Pattern"

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Because "Play Pattern" is about math and that monster's health bar is math.
And when people look for an efficient rotation, they sacrifice class identity by choosing things outside their class and/or character concept.
Then they complain they don't have class identity.

If "Class Identity" were merely cosmetic, I think the devs would have an easier time achieving their goal of getting both in the game.
That is, have a bunch of skills in many skill lines that do EXACTLY THE SAME THING mathematically -- numbers, animation time, EVERYTHING. They just look different cosmetically -- different animation, themed to whatever skill line it falls under.
But then people complain of homogenization of skills.

What you get with the current system is elitism -- people who can parse a bigger number look down on people who are trying to have a fun character concept.
If they made Class Identity purely cosmetic, you'd still have elitist jerks (you always have those) but a broader toolkit to BOTH be effective AND feel cool playing your character.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 26, 2019 7:33PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ZOS nerfs the class-distinct Play Patterns, yes.

Prime example: Nightblade Sap Tanks. This was a viable tanking style that used Nightblade specific skills to let them tank in a way no other class could. Naturally, it got nerfed.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When ZOS nerfs the class-distinct Play Patterns, yes.

Prime example: Nightblade Sap Tanks. This was a viable tanking style that used Nightblade specific skills to let them tank in a way no other class could. Naturally, it got nerfed.

Yea I agree. When something unexpected happens the devs need to look harder at whether it’s negative before grabbing the nerf hammer.

A recent pvp example is light armour wearers using protective trait jewellery and pirate skeleton. Did it add a lot to mag survivability? Yes. Was nerfing it a good change? No.

All nerfing defense has done is turned BGs into a competition between classes with strong defense (DKs) or strong healing (Wardens and Templars). If damage is the same between classes playing a class with an advantage in tankiness or healing becomes a no brainer.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten