Update 24 and the Dragonhold DLC Game Pack are both now available for testing on the PTS! Experience the amazing conclusion to the Season of the Dragon saga. You can read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493609/ 
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 17,  4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Is a maelstrom greatsword useless in PVE ?

FatFred
FatFred
✭✭✭
Finally beat the vMA 2 days ago, after the first down, I started to farm vMA,each run took me approx 1hours 20mins.I got one flame ,one lightning staves and 5 greatswords, I am not a skilled player, usuallyI just copy builds from famous players, when I go to their websites and check , all builds tend not to use maelstrom greatswords.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think so yes, it’s a pvp weapon.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭
    you can use the greatsword with stampede as a back bar weapon, with stampede and carve, instead of arrow barrage and poison injection, it is not the best, but you can use it. stampedes ground procs/refreshes merciless charge every tick, so it effectively makes stampedes 8 second dot, a 14 second dot. though a battleaxe is better, since the bleed carries over and the 6% from the sword doesn't.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stampede has a similar function to Arrow Barrage/Endless Hail in that it can consistently proc an infused enchantment from the supplied ground dot, but it deals damage very differently. Stampede has a 100% crit burst component and it teleports you to a target, kind of neat in PVE since you wouldn't have the speed boost of roll dodging with a bow, and you can change targets and move to melee range instantly. The overall damage over time of maelstrom 2H/stampede is a bit less than maelstrom bow/endless hail, though.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on September 11, 2019 9:16PM
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    Stampede has a similar function to Arrow Barrage/Endless Hail in that it can consistently proc an infused enchantment from the supplied ground dot, but it deals damage very differently. Stampede has a 100% crit burst component and it teleports you to a target, kind of neat in PVE since you wouldn't have the speed boost of roll dodging with a bow, and you can change targets and move to melee range instantly. The overall damage over time of maelstrom 2H/stampede is a bit less than maelstrom bow/endless hail, though.
    Thank you for replying.

Is it better than a normal set bow as back bar weapon in DPS ? 🌝
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    you can use the greatsword with stampede as a back bar weapon, with stampede and carve, instead of arrow barrage and poison injection, it is not the best, but you can use it. stampedes ground procs/refreshes merciless charge every tick, so it effectively makes stampedes 8 second dot, a 14 second dot. though a battleaxe is better, since the bleed carries over and the 6% from the sword doesn't.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    If I use the sword as a backbar weapon, can I just simply replace arrow barrage and poison injection with stampede and carve, and do not adjust my rotation.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭
    FatFred wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.

probably not. worth testing out on your build though.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    FatFred wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.

If you play a class that really needs extra single target DOTs like poison injection to supplement damage, it wouldn't give as much by a small margin. Poison injection is kind of big. But on a class like DK, the maelstrom 2H would work out better since they have more dots to pick from and a useful damage stacking buff like flame whip to slot in place of poison injection. My DK pretty much deals almost the same DPS, maybe +/-2%, no matter which of the big maelstrom/master back bar weapons I pick.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on September 11, 2019 9:51PM
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    Tested ,DPS on a 6M dummy drooped by10% from 35k to 32k, I will continue working on bow farming :s
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer yes
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DoT doesn't crit, so it is a no-go for PVE. Keep farming the bow, daggers, and while you are at it go ahead and start farming your Master bow from DSA.
    Edited by kojou on September 12, 2019 4:22PM
    Playing since beta...
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its flat damage overtime so it wont crit. Not worth it.
    Edited by techprince on September 12, 2019 4:25PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya, I have way too many 2hs and DWs
    Gamer tag: ShenronNacht NA Xbox One
    1100+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er
    Shepherd of Rot - Stamina Necromancer BG Archer - No Gank
  • Alidel
    Alidel
    ✭✭
    I actually put 2h axe on my backbar for stamsorc and got inlove with full melee build. So far I had no problems in vet dlc dungeons and some trials. It's fun experience if you wanna have some fresh playstyle.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭
    Alidel wrote: »
    I actually put 2h axe on my backbar for stamsorc and got inlove with full melee build. So far I had no problems in vet dlc dungeons and some trials. It's fun experience if you wanna have some fresh playstyle.

i tried to make this work on my stamblade, with mediocre results, the VMA bow and master bow are just too good. though it was really fun.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on September 12, 2019 11:05PM