The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Question on Crit-focused build

lukoi
lukoi
✭✭✭
Gang, as always, I come here for the more experienced and nuanced understanding of the game that many here bring to the table.

My next char will be a crit-focused build, and debating between DW (which I believe given the off-hand will give more likelihood of landing crits) or 2H (which I believe would give bigger damage burst when the crit lands).

Can anyone shed some light, or some metrics over time that might help me make the decision here? Thanks.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't help too much on weaponry. All my builds use either dual staves or dual bows. Lol.

Regarding crit though, I like the extra bonus to healing that crit provides to sorcs who use Surge. Basically, you heal on every crit. My sorcs always makes sure to have a high crit % and if I was looking for a crit-focused build, I'd look hard at a sorc.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pve or pvp
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »
    Pve or pvp

Well I would like it to be capable of both relatively well (and will ultimately have a PvE set for it and PvP set for it), but more min-maxed for PvP than PvE.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is easier, given the passives to have high critical chance with DW. So, that would be the way I would go. Plus you can, well, have to, have two different enchant effects.

Now, there is no reason to not go DW on one bar, and 2H on the other. So you can have it both ways. Also, DW does have some nice ranged attacks, so you dont have to use a Bow for that.

In summation, run both of your choices.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yea, that's obvious....duh on my part. I should have clarified I intend to run Bow on the back bar, but I do see your point :P
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't want to run a crit build in pvp. Everyone are running Impenetrable armors.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »
    You don't want to run a crit build in pvp. Everyone are running Impenetrable armors.

Yea, I'm aware. Humor me :P

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

Wrong Info, you can run high crit build in pvp as well. You just need to have high enough weapon damage and penetration to go with it. However, usually this means going full glass cannon.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/477361/stamina-nightblade-critical-beast-build-for-pvp-elsweyr#latest

This is crit focused PvP build for Elsweyr. Needs updating to this patch due to the various skill and gear changes, which I will do soon. But the concept remains the same.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    @susmitds thanks for thr build suggestion. Like the granular info and I see you lean DW in regards to my OP.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PvP, what you want is Critical Damage, not Critical Chance. 3300 Critical Resistance reduces incoming critical modifiers by 50% - so a 150% critical damage strike deals only 100% damage. Adding 20% Critical Damage increases your critical damage against high-impen targets by 20% (170% - 50% = 120%).

Weapon damage and penetration are less useful than critical damage in THIS case, since the bonuses they give you will be mitigated by crit resistance. But u still want them anyway, I just wudn't choose them over critical damage

Minor Force and Shadow Mundus are both used in PvE, but are imho necessary to for good PvP crit builds. Being Khajiit and NB/Templar also help hugely. I got up to 197% critical damage on a build like this in no-CP PvP, and 40% crit chance was about enough.

A precise 2H Sword will make for some disgusting Dizzying Swings on a build like this : p If you can land them
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For a crit focused build you can be either DW or 2 hander, it’s to you. With DW you’ll be be using hidden blade and the aoe execute. 2h dizzy swing, crit surge and executioner.

As someone else said go with shadow mundus and minor force for crit modifier, but where I disagree is race.

Stick with maxing weapon damage, go orc, and instead of focusing on crit chance go with automatic crits instead (automation). The trick is to tank crit in a sense and focus on weapon damage and crit modifier, that way when you do crit it’ll be deadly.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 18, 2019 10:48PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    For a crit focused build you can be either DW or 2 hander, it’s to you. With DW you’ll be be using hidden blade and the aoe execute. 2h dizzy swing, crit surge and executioner.

As someone else said go with shadow mundus and minor force for crit modifier, but where I disagree is race.

Stick with maxing weapon damage, go orc, and instead of focusing on crit chance go with automatic crits instead (automation). The trick is to tank crit in a sense and focus on weapon damage and crit modifier, that way when you do crit it’ll be deadly.

Did you mean Automaton? That adds 400 wpn damage. What you are describing sounds more like Mechanical Acuity (15% chance for 5s of pure crits each time you deal direct damage), which indeed seems pretty potent.

Thanks.
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm ?

You know there are deminishing returns on critical damage. 👌
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ummm ?

You know there are deminishing returns on critical damage. 👌

There are diminishing returns on everything. Thread is about a crit build, not an overall best build
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always try out the build I am going to attempt on my kajhit. Gryphon's ferocity and senche's bite. Minor force on direct damage and 12% increase to crit damage after a dodge roll.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate set advice but my question was about DW vs 2H (with Bow as the likely back bar).