Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wait, did they just nerf class skills, made guild/world skills better, and...

MrBrownstone
MrBrownstone
✭✭✭✭✭
...made those skill lines purchasable? Smart move...
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smart for whom?
    but pretry much...meaning magicka has now as little class identity as stamina
  • sindalstar
    sindalstar
    ✭✭✭

Granted.
    You have to have completed the skill line to be able to purchase them. The only thing your saving is time.

In a way, it makes sense that guild skills are strong. They're something you have to grind independently on. If they're there to be band aids alot then what is the point of them to begin with...

Class skills and their power depend on the class.
    Look and templar and warden with their large aoe heal tools for instance
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sindalstar wrote: »

Granted.
    You have to have completed the skill line to be able to purchase them. The only thing your saving is time.

In a way, it makes sense that guild skills are strong. They're something you have to grind independently on. If they're there to be band aids alot then what is the point of them to begin with...

no it doesnt make sense at all the way they do it...they errode class identity further and further after this has been one of the major complaints for year.. good move if u want to kill your game...im honestly thinking about going back to gw2 as eso moves into the completly wrong direction
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magelight, the rank 9 Mages Guild passives, and Meteor (rank 10) were all already used for PvE and PvP, and necessary for min-maxing.
    Rearming Trap, the rank 9 Fighters Guild passives, and Dawnbreaker (rank 10) were all already used as well.

There's no additional incentive to rank these skills up to rank 10. It's a QoL improvement for us and some new business for ZoS. Not that I plan on buying them :~p

The only pay-to-win mechanic in ESO is owning the magnificent Ezabi. All of us who still don't have Ezabi, the Treasure of Elsweyr, remain an underclass of the community.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it makes sense if you assume eso will be put on the back burner and they need it to be left on autopilot. Easiest way to do that nerf every class skill force the classes on the exact same bar setups using non class skills so balancing is as easy as a snap and create a bunch of half-assed dlcs to release every few months to milk the game for as long as possible for what its worth
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (the class aoe dots really aren't that flavorful or interesting either though...)
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but every stamina toon can't wait to put hands on Turn Evil now heh? Awesome, so when we will have cloak, streak and Breath of Life put in guild skill lines?
    Edited by Mayrael on August 12, 2019 11:37AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How else are they going to up the profit margin???
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that the Super Meta Chaser 10000™ subset of the playerbase already has the world skill lines.

And/or knows how to grind them out efficiently.

(it absolutely amazes me how this forum can see "look! they're trying to gouge us!" in any change.)
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it makes sense if you assume eso will be put on the back burner and they need it to be left on autopilot. Easiest way to do that nerf every class skill force the classes on the exact same bar setups using non class skills so balancing is as easy as a snap and create a bunch of half-assed dlcs to release every few months to milk the game for as long as possible for what its worth

they'll claim it reduces server load, and thereby, lag, too.

ta-da!

smh.
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically they did buff dots and nerfed aoe's
    also known as Overlich.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »

To me the fact that my husband and I found ourselves discussing what characters we wanted to play in WoW Classic rather than ESO's exciting new DLC over breakfast this morning suggests that repeating retail WoW's error of homogenizing classes isn't necessarilly the road to profit. Our subs haven't quite run out yet, but they will of the patch doesn't pass the fun test--and we don't run dungeons. Guess we'll see. :)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does nerfing Entropy by removing one of the Mage's few sources of healing make it 'BETTER'?
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Granted.

We all running out of time lol....
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that the Super Meta Chaser 10000™ subset of the playerbase already has the world skill lines.

And/or knows how to grind them out efficiently.

(it absolutely amazes me how this forum can see "look! they're trying to gouge us!" in any change.)

When I first read this thread, I was inclined to agree with you, but then I logged into my EU main and saw the in-game notification that multiple products were now available for purchase for my other characters ...
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Gythral wrote: »

To me the fact that my husband and I found ourselves discussing what characters we wanted to play in WoW Classic rather than ESO's exciting new DLC over breakfast this morning suggests that repeating retail WoW's error of homogenizing classes isn't necessarilly the road to profit. Our subs haven't quite run out yet, but they will of the patch doesn't pass the fun test--and we don't run dungeons. Guess we'll see. :)

That's where I was a while back, just wasn't fun anymore, it is beginning to stink of WoW's failure, hadn't thought of it like that. I let my sub run out. Guess I keep checking the forums as I liked the game and hope ZoS comes to it's senses, but seems to be getting worse and worse.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Granted.

no it doesnt make sense at all the way they do it...they errode class identity further and further after this has been one of the major complaints for year.. good move if u want to kill your game...im honestly thinking about going back to gw2 as eso moves into the completly wrong direction

Alas, I don’t think the changes to classes in GW2 have been going the right direction the past two years. Some exceptions to be sure, but Druid (my main since I started) and Chronomancer were gutted. Tweaks to how abilities work I expect in a game, but to invalidate whole builds and play styles just sucks. I don’t mean to dis the game and there are other aspects that I love about it, but making my main unfun was a big hit for me and a large contributor to me thinking it time I take a break and try another MMO (and here I am!).

I like to have lots of options in how I play my characters, lots of ways to play them that are viable and fun. I don’t care that not every build is going to PWN in PvP or is the meta for speed-clears or whatever. Variety and customization over “balance.”

I’ve only been playing ESO for a month now so can’t really comment on changes as I’m very much still learning, but it concerns me to see similar trends in class “balance.” :frowning:
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even before, pretty much every class used the same abilities. Now that problem is worse.

I guess one way to quiet the complainers is to make all classes essentially the same.
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Fallen_Ray
    Fallen_Ray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sure did. It's not about the Elder Scrolls World any more. It's about milking money from the players. I mean let's be real, You can get those skills by playing the game (and buying the DLC if you don't own them nor pay ESO+, which translates to spending money anyway). Which makes this optional. But that's the problem right there.

Someone will eventually buy them. Because they created their 10th character and don't want to play all that guild content all over again. And think "what the heck, it ain't much anyway". Then another player thinks the same and so on. When you know it over 1000 players bought the skill lines.

The big fat suits (because devs only develop what the firm asks) at marketing see the sales chart. They show promising results. And they start planning the next big thing to nerf existing content and make it so that if you want to be competent, you gotta spend some $$$.

MMOs have and always will have competent players. Which makes the cycle stated before repeat itself endlessly. Before you know it you will see not only guild skill lines. But newer skill lines that contain those cool spells the community has asked for like more elemental variety. Well if this goes well for them you can bet you will see a new elemental skill line on the crown store for over 2500 crowns. Lord I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like from my point of view.

It's sad to see what a once great game has become.
    "Dear brother, I do not spread rumors, I create them"- Lucien Lachance
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got it! From their point of view, it's a win win. $$$ and Balance. People buy the now for sale guildlines, and since class skills have been nerfed into uselessness, we have balance because we are all running the same skills.

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HOW COULD YOU ever imply that ZOS’s motivation for changing skills could ever revolve around the crown store? Silly person! :smile:
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got it! From their point of view, it's a win win. $$$ and Balance. People buy the now for sale guildlines, and since class skills have been nerfed into uselessness, we have balance because we are all running the same skills.

Except, if all my mag characters are going to run the same skills, why play alts? And, if there's no reason to play an alt (except for multiple writs for which they only need crafting skills), why buy skill lines? It seems like a downward spiral to me.
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fallen_Ray wrote: »
    They sure did. It's not about the Elder Scrolls World any more. It's about milking money from the players. I mean let's be real, You can get those skills by playing the game (and buying the DLC if you don't own them nor pay ESO+, which translates to spending money anyway). Which makes this optional. But that's the problem right there.

Someone will eventually buy them. Because they created their 10th character and don't want to play all that guild content all over again. And think "what the heck, it ain't much anyway". Then another player thinks the same and so on. When you know it over 1000 players bought the skill lines.

The big fat suits (because devs only develop what the firm asks) at marketing see the sales chart. They show promising results. And they start planning the next big thing to nerf existing content and make it so that if you want to be competent, you gotta spend some $$$.

MMOs have and always will have competent players. Which makes the cycle stated before repeat itself endlessly. Before you know it you will see not only guild skill lines. But newer skill lines that contain those cool spells the community has asked for like more elemental variety. Well if this goes well for them you can bet you will see a new elemental skill line on the crown store for over 2500 crowns. Lord I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like from my point of view.

It's sad to see what a once great game has become.

Much wisdom here indeed.

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky isnt falling. Ocean still blue.

Shortsighted players are up in arms because they see a change, but for years there was not a foundational holistic approach to this game.

Wrobel concentrated on how things felt before how they worked, so now the company is shifting into a baseline.

After they have finished their balance and class skill passes you can be upset if you want, but at least let them finish their plan for them first

You will not get them to not push new dlc that's silly. Thats how they pay for everything they are doing
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.