The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First post here, returning player

KestrelFive
Hey all,

First time posting on the forums. I’m a returning player to ESO, been playing on and off since launch. I usually have trouble settling on one class or character for too long, and despite all the time I’ve put into the game, I only have 2 toons at level 50: a StamDK and a Magblade (I’m at CP 300). I haven’t been really feeling it with those two lately, so I want to start fresh with one new stamina and one Magicka class, as new “mains” to stick with for a while. I’ll still have the other two in reserve. I’m looking to get the new toons to 50 the right way: lorebooks, skyshards, dungeon/quest skill points, etc. Therefore, I don’t want to level more than two.

I know this is all subjective, but I would really appreciate your opinions on which class to pick for each type mag/stam. For context, things I do in this game: Vet Dungeons, raids with my guild, overland content/quests/achievements, Cyrodiil, BGs, Maelstrom. Things I DONT do: push hardcore scores on trials, or other extremely competitive endgame content. Given this context, for the two new classes, I’m interested in....

Stamina: either Necromancer, Warden, or Templar
Magicka: either Necromancer, Sorcerer, Dragonknight

I would really appreciate any opinions on which mag class and stam class you’d recommend. Ultimately, I want to go with something I enjoy aesthetic wise, is set up well for both PVE and PVP content, has fun gameplay, and also wont get me kicked out of a vet dungeon PUG. All of the above classes check the box for me on aesthetic, interesting skills, etc. I’ve played each to level 10-20 and honestly cant decide, so welcome your thoughts! Thank you!
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh maaaan... at first just read patch notes beginning from Murkmire, see the difference and decide... If there is a point to return at all
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts:

Mag:

I’ve got almost 100 hours into my mag necro and honestly it’s underwhelming and frankly less fun for me than any other mage class.

Mag sorc is easy and effective at all aspects of the game, but not top at any. Best for soloing group content in pve and devastating in the right hands in pvp.

Mag DK can be challenging to level, but are great at end game. Some of the coolest looking and functioning class skills of any game.

Stam:
    Necro is easy to be good with, decently fun, over performing a bit on pts still so more nerds likely to come. Much better than mag necro though.

I love my Stamplar, I really do. But it’s such a niche thing. Easy to be ok with, hard to be really good at.

Stam warden on the other hand, remains one of my all time fave builds. easy to level, fun to play, really strong damage, great class passives. Really great. If I had to limit to one stam character it would be a warden.
    Edited by Reverb on July 25, 2019 1:10AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • KestrelFive
    Thanks for the reply! I was already iffy on stamplar, I may rule that out for now. What about stam sorc?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc is fun. But i am a sorc fan. Mag i would chose templar, as mag main they are really good cause they are great off healers (mag sorcs are as well.... Till next patch....)
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

First time posting on the forums. I’m a returning player to ESO, been playing on and off since launch. I usually have trouble settling on one class or character for too long, and despite all the time I’ve put into the game, I only have 2 toons at level 50: a StamDK and a Magblade (I’m at CP 300). I haven’t been really feeling it with those two lately, so I want to start fresh with one new stamina and one Magicka class, as new “mains” to stick with for a while. I’ll still have the other two in reserve. I’m looking to get the new toons to 50 the right way: lorebooks, skyshards, dungeon/quest skill points, etc. Therefore, I don’t want to level more than two.

I know this is all subjective, but I would really appreciate your opinions on which class to pick for each type mag/stam. For context, things I do in this game: Vet Dungeons, raids with my guild, overland content/quests/achievements, Cyrodiil, BGs, Maelstrom. Things I DONT do: push hardcore scores on trials, or other extremely competitive endgame content. Given this context, for the two new classes, I’m interested in....

I would really appreciate any opinions on which mag class and stam class you’d recommend. Ultimately, I want to go with something I enjoy aesthetic wise, is set up well for both PVE and PVP content, has fun gameplay, and also wont get me kicked out of a vet dungeon PUG. All of the above classes check the box for me on aesthetic, interesting skills, etc. I’ve played each to level 10-20 and honestly cant decide, so welcome your thoughts! Thank you!

Welcome back!

It depends a lot on the ROLE you envisage for each of your two new main characters. It is also as you have identified, quite subjective, particularly if we are discounting end game/competitive considerations.

If you are as I suspect, looking to be a damage dealer, here are my thoughts:

Stamina: Discount Warden, dealing stam based dps is not its forte. Stamnecro is performing very well and can be built to deal damage or tank very easily using the stam skills and morphs available, in this respect its quite flexible. It is however a bit clunky and some folk really struggle with the rotation and corpse management (I dont mind it at all). Some of the skills can also be a little buggy at times. I have never made a stamplar, nominally Id suggest magica is more its forte. I have a magplar and it is very effective at damage dealing, and for me, great fun aesthetically and thematically, much like the Necro actually.

Magica: I would discount Necromancer, it is not performing well as a damage dealer. For me, dk is not ideal for damage either, as it lends itself more to tanking, but I know that some make it work well. I do have a dk magica dps, and its actually really good fun - it just doesnt do as much dps as my other damage dealing characters so I am never using it in vet content. Sorcerer is my go to for magica damage dealing, my magsorc has the highest dps of all my characters, is way more consistent and easy to maintain that damage output and is visually and thematically great fun. Actually my stamsorc deals the 2nd highest dps of all my characters. So sorcing is where its at for me haha!

Hope that helps.

ps, for tanking I would consider Necromancer (my new favorite tank surpassing my Warden and dk tanks). For healing I would consider Templar and then Warden, discounting all the others entirely to be honest. I mained a Warden healer for a long time because of the aesthetics/thematics, but once I switched to Templar it was clear which was the easier more straight forward way to heal - magplar!
  • KestrelFive
    Hey all,

Welcome back!

It depends a lot on the ROLE you envisage for each of your two new main characters. It is also as you have identified, quite subjective, particularly if we are discounting end game/competitive considerations.

If you are as I suspect, looking to be a damage dealer, here are my thoughts:

Stamina: Discount Warden, dealing stam based dps is not its forte. Stamnecro is performing very well and can be built to deal damage or tank very easily using the stam skills and morphs available, in this respect its quite flexible. It is however a bit clunky and some folk really struggle with the rotation and corpse management (I dont mind it at all). Some of the skills can also be a little buggy at times. I have never made a stamplar, nominally Id suggest magica is more its forte. I have a magplar and it is very effective at damage dealing, and for me, great fun aesthetically and thematically, much like the Necro actually.

Magica: I would discount Necromancer, it is not performing well as a damage dealer. For me, dk is not ideal for damage either, as it lends itself more to tanking, but I know that some make it work well. I do have a dk magica dps, and its actually really good fun - it just doesnt do as much dps as my other damage dealing characters so I am never using it in vet content. Sorcerer is my go to for magica damage dealing, my magsorc has the highest dps of all my characters, is way more consistent and easy to maintain that damage output and is visually and thematically great fun. Actually my stamsorc deals the 2nd highest dps of all my characters. So sorcing is where its at for me haha!

Hope that helps.

ps, for tanking I would consider Necromancer (my new favorite tank surpassing my Warden and dk tanks). For healing I would consider Templar and then Warden, discounting all the others entirely to be honest. I mained a Warden healer for a long time because of the aesthetics/thematics, but once I switched to Templar it was clear which was the easier more straight forward way to heal - magplar!

Thank you! Yes you are correct, right now DPS is my focus, but it would be nice to have the option of additional roles down the line. I think you have me sold on magplar and magsorc. I made a magplar and got it to level 30 so far, and am loving it! Maybe in a few weeks once I have this character all leveled and everything, I can eventually make a magsorc as well. I think between your post, the other posts, and my short time playing the classes, those two Magicka classes appeal to me the most.

For stamina, I also thank you for the help! I think I’m strongly leaning toward Necro for both DPS and tanking. One last class question, what are your thoughts on Stamblade? I’ll pick one of these two to focus on for now, and do the other one later down the road once I have fully built up the first one.

In terms of leveling, do you recommend doing all of the area quests in your home faction, or skipping these? I have done Ebonheart zones 100% twice with my original two classes, and my magplar is on Aldmeri.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My view:

Stam - stamnecro is top dps but that can change overnight. I think they’re all solid choices but I’d go with Stamwarden. It’s a little stronger in pvp and really flexible because as a stamwarden you can tank, dps and heal.

Mag - sorc. They’ve had ups and downs, but they’ve never been really weak. Best pvp mag class as well.

For PvEing when it’s casual you have a lot of flexibility. It’s only at the top end that class matters.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 26, 2019 10:03PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon knights are a lot of fun - so I’d go with Magicka dragonknight. The strongest in my opinion is the sorc so if you want the best of the best, the go mag sorc

Stamina Templar is meh but still easy to use and enjoyable. I main a stamina warden, however there’s not much flexibility with the class skills or passives.

Stamina sorcerer is very very strong and a lot of fun. You should look this up
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    From a noob standpoint, my suggestions for Magica classes are Templar, Sorcerer, or Warden. Reading your later posts, it looks like you went with Magplar. A good choice in my opinion.

I'm still playing all 6 classes and I have not really decided yet which class will be my main, but I have it narrowed down to MagSorc with Pet (My first 50) and Magplar (My 2nd 50)

• KestrelFive
    Thank you everyone for the replies and info! I am loving my magplar, I feel like I can handle pretty much anything that comes my way. Sorcerer will be my next Magicka class. Magicka DK does seem very nice, in the event I ever make one, is Argonian a good all around race? Or would that gimp the dps output?

For stamina, I’m leaning toward StamSorc based on the recommendations, but I may try out NB at some point too!
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone for the replies and info! I am loving my magplar, I feel like I can handle pretty much anything that comes my way. Sorcerer will be my next Magicka class. Magicka DK does seem very nice, in the event I ever make one, is Argonian a good all around race? Or would that gimp the dps output?

For stamina, I’m leaning toward StamSorc based on the recommendations, but I may try out NB at some point too!

MagDk go Dunmer if you opt for damage. Be mindful of your sustain though. MagDk is best played at max cp in the perfect build though to truly feel rewarding. It takes a ton of skill too. By skill I mean pushing more than one or two buttons lol.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on July 27, 2019 10:02PM
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc

Mageplar