The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do i a get malestroem weapon?

festher
festher
✭✭
Do i need to beat vma without deaths?
Do they drop in normal mode?
Are Asylium weapons better?
Where are they?
What abort Master weapons?
What if i want 2h rather than bow. Is there someway i can increase chances that a specifik type of drops (1h, 2h, destro etc)
Last boss drops? Completion?

Please share a little light. Ive 2 sets and a monster set and 320 cp. I feel ready :smile:
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yoy get a Mal weapon by completing Mal on Vet level difficulty. There is no way to increase the drop chance of a specific weapon type. Other arena weapon drops might be better depending on your build.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • cmvet
    cmvet
    ✭✭✭
    They only drop in vet mode not normal. You get purple weapons by completing vMA, doesn't matter how long it takes or how many deaths you have. You can get gold weapons by completing vMA with a score high enough that gets you on the weekly leaderboard.

Weapons come from the chest that drops after defeating the last boss. Weapon type is random, so be prepared to run it multiple times to get what you want.

Master weapons drop in vDSA (vet not normal).

Are Master, Asylum, BRP weapons better? That is for you to decide based on your build and what you want the weapon to provide.
  • Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    There's a really good Maelstrom Arena Guide written by Joy Division that should help you understand the dungeon and its mechanics. If you're on console, hunt down a one bar build because weapon swap is impossible with the built-in lag.

Maelstrom Weapons are powerful but not a must-have for a build, IMO, as the time investment doesn't necessarily yield the results as there are alternative builds you could use. Asylum Weapons are also hit or miss. In general I'd suggest completing the content on VET only because you like it or if you're very into the specific build that requires the weapon.
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• cmvet
    cmvet
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite 1-bar vMA build is werewolf. Here is my vMA Werewolf tips. Werewolf currently makes vMA much easier and its very easy to get high scores for weekly gold weapons. Now, how will it be if the changes on PTS go live I don't know. But as of right now it's great, so take advantage of it while you can.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    festher wrote: »
    How do I get a Maelstrom weapon

With great difficulty, stress and time!
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    By giving me your account details. ;)
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Pontypants
    Here's an article covering how to get the vMA weapons and the best way to do it:

https://esoplanet.com/getting-the-maelstrom-weapons/
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd disagree with people who say beating vMA for the weapon is not worth it.

1) The weapon is very much worth it, even with the upcoming nerfs. Plus, the pendulum will swing back around at some point and vMA weapons might be overly powerful again at some point (this is assuming the patch notes go live and all AOEs take a dps hit which has a direct effect on vMA weapons).

2) Beating the arena on Vet is a good stepping stone towards getting into harder endgame content. It will help you become knowledgeable in your class and skills, as well as the amount of tweaking you'll do with your build further increases your overall knowledge of sets and how to best utilize them.

3) The challenge is fun. People hate it when they go through it, and then once they beat it and realize 90% of it was just mechanics the whole arena becomes so much easier and stress-free (lag might be a little detriment to this, but then again it's laggy everywhere). I remember going through Basic Training and hating it during those 8 weeks, but now I'd give anything to go back through it again...the challenge was worth it. VMA is challenging at first, but totally worth it.

But if you just enjoy picking reagents and running around Tamriel doing overland content for fun, then basically all this is moot and you can just ignore vMA weapons as they'll have zero effect on you.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other posters on a few key points:

1. Joy Division's Guide was a huge help getting my first clear. It's way, way more detailed than other guides out there. While it's possible to power dps vMA, it's really about the mechanics and strategy, and Joy's guide gets really detailed about mechs/strategy, as well as offering build advice.

2. The weapons are definitely worth getting. As of now, bow and fire staff are super high powered, and others are solid too. And depending on what comes to Live on the 13th, vMA DW might be the new meta.

3. Clearing vMA is a challenge, but a worthy one. Not only do you get excellent wepaons, but vMA is kinda the test of whether you're ready for endgame. Your first clear might take days, weeks. Your second one will take a few hours. Your third and on will likely be under 2 hours. It gets so much easier each time. And even if you have no interest in endgame content, clearing vMA makes you a better player.

4. For at least your first run, consider going tanky. Maybe use 1 tank set and 1 dps set? Or maybe just use a tanky monster set? Experienced players can burn it down with min/max dps builds, but for the first few clears having extra defense/hp is gonna be a big help.