The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Consuming Trap Change: Nope, Try Again ZoS

Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
✭✭✭✭✭
Soul Trap: This ability and the Consuming Trap will now only hit one enemy instead of up to 2.
The target cap being 1 ruins the skill. It was nice to have it on a few mobs so you can heal and get some resources back, but only being able to mark one at a time means this skill is garbage because the resource return from only 1 kill does not remotely compare to Soul-Splitting Trap's six-target cap - all you did was ruin one morph to try to force players to use the other one.

If you want to add more targets to Soul-Splitting Trap, that's fine - let that be the morph, but Consuming Trap allowing players to mark a few enemies and get some resources for it is what THAT morph was designed for. Consuming Trap should have 2 targets w/ sustain and the Soul-Splitting Trap can be the full 6 target cap. If Consuming Trap has anything less than 2 targets per cast, it might as well be deleted from the game because it's mathematically worthless compared to Soul-Splitting Trap efficiency cost.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • BattleAxe
    BattleAxe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do know consuming trap now restores 20% of all stats health mag and stam?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an overpowered skill that gives 20% resources, it deserves to be only a single target dot with THAT much utility
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Excelsus
    Excelsus
    ✭✭✭✭
    New players use the resource skill to help sustain. Since its the first skill you get. Then you morph to aoe once you gitgud and have a tank that properly stacks enemies cuz 5 meter radius is frigging small. Also nothing stopping you from hitting a few enemies with consuming during trash packs... if you cant sustain without it you probably dont have the moth lethal rotation to begin with.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excelsus wrote: »
    New players use the resource skill to help sustain. Since its the first skill you get. Then you morph to aoe once you gitgud and have a tank that properly stacks enemies cuz 5 meter radius is frigging small. Also nothing stopping you from hitting a few enemies with consuming during trash packs... if you cant sustain without it you probably dont have the moth lethal rotation to begin with.

Point is you could easily exploit 2 rss gain versus one
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems ok to me, the previous iteration was not much of a decision between the morphs: 2 targets + resources vs 3 targets.

The only aspect I’d like adjusted is the duration. Consuming should be 12s to make it fit better into single target DPS rotations, and give a little longer period to kill the target and receive resources. Splitting could be 8s, since it is the AoE trash morph and needs to be more bursty to be worth casting, since most weak enemies die so quickly.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BattleAxe wrote: »

I don't care. It can go back to 10% resource return as long as it hits more than 1 target. The Consuming morph used to have limited applications when fighting a small group of mobs - now, it's complete garbage. There was nothing wrong with Consuming Trap - it needed the damage buff, but that was honestly it. If ZoS wants to improve the other morph, that's fine but don't kill off Consuming to force players to use the other morph. Frankly, the only reason why I bothered with Soul Trap was the sustain it offered from Consuming Trap, but now with this change I won't use the skill at all now.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an overpowered skill that gives 20% resources, it deserves to be only a single target dot with THAT much utility

With the changes today, you have to now constantly spam it after every kill. How does that help? No one asked for 20% - that's was ZoS' fault as the damage was the only thing that the skill needed increased. They could go back to 10% and a target cap of 2 and the skill would be fine with the damage it now deals. Soul-Splitting Trap will ALWAYS be garbage because it doesn't give resources back and I can slot any other generic AoE to replace it. Consuming Trap was unique and it had purpose - now it's garbage that few will bother with.
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    there is no way consuming trap is giving 20 percent resources back, i understand thats what was in the u23 patch notes but the tooltip says its giving me 800 hp, 477 magic, 1546 stam. Is it a running total? cause its still not 20 percent its about 5 percent per resource.

9.5k magic, 16.2k hp 30.9k stam

Edited by MellowMagic on July 15, 2019 6:29PM
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no way consuming trap is giving 20 percent resources back, i understand thats what was in the u23 patch notes but the tooltip says its giving me 800 hp, 477 magic, 1546 stam. Is it a running total? cause its still not 20 percent its about 5 percent per resource.

What level is yours? I heard elsewhere that the resource return ranks up 5% per level.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »

What level is yours? I heard elsewhere that the resource return ranks up 5% per level.

you heard this because this is 100% what happens.
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »

you heard this because this is 100% what happens.

oh that makes sense, im on my main on the pts and i havnt bothered to rank up the skill, i didnt think it would be that drastic lol. Now it definitely makes sense why they limited the targets. Consuming would be op if i was getting 12k stam each cast.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic double nerf. People QQ'd about Obvion's Foe so they made sure that the set remains useless and nerfed the skill too.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nm
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 15, 2019 8:01PM
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with the change. Think it's pretty fair actually. It still returns 20% which is insane. Kinda hope that doesn't get dialed back but I feel like it will.
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cast your soul trap multip^le times, it's not a nightblade's mark...
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soul Trap is looking fine to me. I very much like how it is turning out.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one in endgame will use the sustain morph. I agree 100% that the sustain morph should be 2 targets
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BattleAxe wrote: »

great right? gunna be running this on my back bar if the damage is also good i'll even make a gimmick build around pure dots :)
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul splitting is viable for tiny aoe damage, consuming is viable as is with 20% resources that's an insane amount of sustain, and you can put it on more than one enemy just cast more than once, that's more than fair.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Pollux_Geminorum
    I use consuming trap on my ice magicka warden and it works fine for my character. I love the animation as it looks icy when recovering health, magicka, and stamina.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use consuming trap on my ice magicka warden and it works fine for my character. I love the animation as it looks icy when recovering health, magicka, and stamina.

The DoT isn't too bad but it passively doesn't offer much compared to entropy. Would be nice if they added more skills to the line. Seems like it'd be pretty decent for PvP though. But only if you have room.

Also, huge post necro.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on September 12, 2021 4:43PM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
This discussion has been closed.