The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you deal with incapable people in vet dungeons and trials?

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's clearly a sliding scale and there's no one size fits all answer and most of it applies just as much to guild groups as it does to PUGs, but broadly

Analyse situation - what's going wrong? (group coordination, understanding of mechanics, individual issues, my abilities)

Propose/agree solution - how can we beat this? what shall we try? can we implement our plan - sometimes creating and implementing a plan is some of the most satisfying parts of the entire game.

If we still can't progress, again discuss why. If the problem is solvable (and you'll have a pretty good idea if that's true) try again. In the rare event that it isn't (eg failure to understand the pinning mechanic in FG2, which will eventually wipe a group that's uncoordinated, or DPS failure in BC2, which results in Daedroth overkill) I'll say I don't think it can be done, have one more try and then leave. I've only had to do that 3 times.

The only proviso is that the rest of the group are able to discuss issues (with EU server there can be language barriers as I stupidly only speak 1 language fluently) and that there is no rudeness.

Bottom line, I'm here to have fun

• Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    czar wrote: »
    Depends. If they are nice and try their best, I stick with them. If we don't progress, they usually realize they're not ready for the content and give up long before I do. If they have a bad attitude, are horrible at their role and refuse to leave, I will vote to kick them.

This :)
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Carry the group.

You can solo every non-DLC vet dungeon with your eyes closed if you are a DD. If the other 3 players are garbage, just ignore them and keep moving (use them as meat shields whenever it is advantageous).
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    I always stick to the end no matter how many times it needs, and only give up when the group dissolves. OTOH, if I'm the weak link in the chain, I offer to leave as soon as I realize that.

But OTOH, I don't PUG much/at all, so when that happened to me it was always with guildies and never had a bad situation come out of that, luckily.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don't care what they do in base game veteran dungeons as long as they're trying and not being a ***. In DLC veteran dungeons I'll give it a few tries but if failure is imminent then abandon ship. And I haven't done veteran trials because I lack the commitment for it.
    Edited by N00BxV1 on May 31, 2019 10:36PM
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stick with them
    Most of the time I will stick with the group. There has only been a couple of times I’ve left the group, usually as a healer because some knucklehead forges ahead pulling all the agro with me trying to save their sorry ass, usually dying in the process because I’m getting most of the agro instead.
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    Teach them as much as I can. Unless it's a Vet DLC we usually get it done. The only time I kick is if someone joins as a fake tank or someone's being rude.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    It generally depends on the situation.

If I'm in a group and we wipe on a boss, I'll ask if everyone knows the mechanics. I'll do food/drink checks, stuff like that. Might ask what sort of setup a person is running in terms of skills and offer suggestions to try other things if it's applicable. I don't mind if a group wipes several times on a boss because sometimes you need to see how something actually works in practice before you get it down. I especially don't mind if we're making overall progress; eventually we'll get it (hopefully). In the case that we don't get it though, I'll usually explain that we probably won't be able to get through the content and offer to give it one more novel try before heading out of the group.

Now all that assumes everyone in the group is actively trying and are responding when asked if everyone knows mechanics and all that stuff. If there's a person who isn't saying anything in group chat, even if directly spoken to, and they're very obviously not following explained mechanics or are hiding during combat or something, I'll usually give those people a few chances. I'll try talking to them a few times, maybe even try whispering them in case they don't have their chat set to see group messages for whatever reason, basically make an effort to get some kind of reply out of them. If after all that there's no change, I'll vote to kick. I have absolutely no problem with helping people who are willing to learn and try, and I don't get mad if I find myself in a group that can't clear any given content. But if someone is just looking for a carry or clearly has no interest in following mechanics to such a point that it's hindering the group's progress overall, I'm not down for that.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Tiresome repetitive polls are tiresome.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I'm a very fickle person to a point that I'd swear I was Bi-polar. I'll offer advice periodically but having been called an elitist several times in the past has left me very jaded about actually giving advice nicely often so I'll either give it with mild contempt but fairly clearly or I'll state them in a condescending tone as though this is the easiest thing in the world for anyone with common senses (and to be fair, most mechanics in ESO are like that). Sure, I'll do the common pleasantries but after dying to the same mechanic over and over again, despite both explaining and demonstrating the mechanics for them to still not get it, I get a bit mouthy; I'll praise any person that is at least making an effort to understand mechanics but those that continously fail them without any sign of improvement at all will just receive vague remarks about how we aren't going to clear where I don't openly name players that are clearly the weak link in the group but behave in a passive aggressive manner towards them, such as running in circles around them after we wipe for the Xth time and are in ghost form or waiting for the next pull attempt. They either get snippy with me, despite me not openly accusing them of fault, which results in the group naming them as the toxic one that needs to be removed, they quietly leave or group disbands from fatigue. Regardless of the outcome, I'm just glad to be out of that situation.

I'm such a b**** and I have no shame to admit it.
    Argonian forever
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO 50K DEEPS NO TALK !
  • tspecherb14_ESO
    tspecherb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I stick with them as long as reasonably possible. I will make some recommendations but at some point I'll move to more drastic measures if need be.
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kick them
    I had a pair of DPS in vet BC I a couple days ago. They did a grand total of 8k DPS. Nor each, together. I'm not entirely sure how.

They also died very easily, so I can only assume they had no spells slotted and were spamming light attacks the entire time.

I do not believe it is my job to teach people that their hotbar can have skills on it and that they should press them, often in certain sequence. Anyway, they eventually left.
  • Sibenice
    Sibenice
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It depends. If the dungeon is a really easy one I'm fine with just pushing through. But if they're slowing things significantly or wiping us then I will remove them.
  • Hyperion616
    Hyperion616
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    Fake/incompetent/under geared/low cp tanks, healer, and/or dps.

Have a little patience, stick it out and see if you can teach them how to improve on their game some.
    I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

~Edith Sitwell

• WldKarde
    WldKarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave
    Usually I'll only leave group if it's absolutely hopeless for the current group to complete the content.

That said...

I will also do my best to help others learn the mechanics until all hope is lost.

I've been in the "I'm new to this one" camp many times before...

So I try to pay it forward as much as I can ;)
    PC NA
    Characters formally known as Veteran 16:
    Wldkarde, Sir WldKarde , Lil-Miss WldKarde,
    Dame WldKarde Stamplar "Master Angler" "Main" ,
    Shady WldKarde, WldKarde"s Bacon, Jaded WldKarde,
    River Wldkarde
    18 Master Anglers so far
    "Dames and Sirs, take my advice, pull down your pants...and slide on the ice!" Slightly adjusted quote of Dr. Sidney Friedman from M*A*S*H
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave
    Teaching mechanics, fine I can do that.

But the rest of the stuff? I learnt it from other people and from practice on my own time, not when wasting other people's time in actual content.
  • xF1REFL1x
    xF1REFL1x
    ✭✭✭
    Ive gotta say... I'm new to trials and my guild has taken me through normal and vet dungeons so far the past few weeks. They have been patient and taught me along the way. Wish I would have started doing this earlier but it could not have worked out better. Great bunch of players!
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    NO 50K DEEPS NO TALK !

Pshh 50k was last season...60k or go home 🤓😜
  • xmaveri
    xmaveri
    ✭✭✭
    Kick them
    No I'm sorry but I'm sick in tired of waiting 20 min to que into vet dlc dungeons just to be grouped with 3 100-400 CP players. Everytime I give them a chance they either can't understand the mechanics, don't have the DPS, can't tank or can't heal... I was just in vFG2 with a 100cp and 300cp and 400cp and none of them knew the mechanics or even had the capabilities of completing the dungeon and it's becoming a bigger problem. The game should have stricter level requirements, I have no idea why Everytime I que into a vet dlc dungeon I get grouped with low cp players, EVERY TIME! you would think they would get a clue and stick with they know. Either that or the one time they qued in with 3 810cp and was carried they now think they can play all end game... It's not like there's plenty of mid game level content...
  • navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    I find a lot of people are willing to learn and feel accomplished sticking it out. Some people don't find it fun to pre-watch dungeon runs but willing to take instruction. Sometimes I'm being help as a newer tank.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    Fake/incompetent/under geared/low cp tanks, healer, and/or dps.

In my experience when people realize they are holding back the team they will leave on their own accord. Extremely rarely have I ever encountered a situation where it was necessary to kick someone who was genuinely under performing to such a degree it was preventing our progress. So I usually tough it out until that happens.

The exception to this are those who fake their roles. Those I will opt to kick just on principle alone - though I would prefer there was a different system in place to deal with those specific types of players. But that's really a separate issue so I won't get into that.
    Edited by Jeremy on June 1, 2019 6:08AM
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heelie wrote: »
    If I come to the conclussion that I have to spend more than 30 minutes in a dungeon, or that I might have to teach the group the mechanics. I leave, I am not in the business of free carry runs.
    • I have to spend more than 30 minutes in a dungeon
    • I might have to teach the group the mechanics
    • I am not in the business of free carry runs.

Leave then. The group would probably have a better time.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    If possible, why not stick with them and educate them? If not possible to clear the dungeon/trial, politely tell them why. It's not that hard to be kind and respectful.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stick with them
    I've seen this preconceived notion that if you are low cp you automatically suck. This is such nonsense.

I got kicked from March of Sacrifices even before I moved because I was cp 580. Three 810s we're stuck on the first boss. I told them Einsteins I've done this on vet before. Anyway I queue again and I get back in the same group! This time they beg me to stay, I said ha! No game, later noobs!

And the other day we pugged vetbloodroot with a 300 or so cp healer and a 300 cp dps who left at final boss suddenly but we would've done it with him too.
    Edited by siddique on June 1, 2019 6:55AM
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    Myself and a mate (tank) recently did vet Moon Hunter Keep with a pug DD and healer. The other DD was low CP and only did light attacks with a bow. I know I have good damage so we just continued on. Yes it was painful however the guy picked up the mechanics easily enough and I didn't realise you can get that amount of symbols on the second last boss (it was even more funnier when he activated HM on the last boss which we quickly explained wasn't going to happen). Nevertheless we completed the dungeon anyway.

On the other hand, if this was a full pug group and I only had limited time I would have left, which I do occasionally as my time is limited at times due to family commitments and having young kids who require your time. However I never criticise anyone when I do.

I only ever kick people if they are immature, petulant or rude.

I like to teach people anyway and it's how I've meet some nice friends in game.

Lastly I don't tend to keep elitist friends in game as well - they don't hang around me for long because a spades a spade and I can be blunt and tend to tell them what I think of them not long after meeting this type of player which they don't like ... but you cant get on with everyone eh? ☺

High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I dont pug vet dungeons or trials, and that saved me
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Despite the fact I raided a bit in WoW, I have no idea what I am doing in vets and trials here (as I don't bother with them), but when I am asked, I seem to end up with people who know even less than I do (and especially since the recent influx from WoW, are also pretty rude and trollish), so I have decided to just say no to all of it, from now on.

Saves me having to say things they might regret.
  • Schemering
    Schemering
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    czar wrote: »
    Depends. If they are nice and try their best, I stick with them. If we don't progress, they usually realize they're not ready for the content and give up long before I do. If they have a bad attitude, are horrible at their role and refuse to leave, I will vote to kick them.

this... if they communicate and do their best ill try... and if theres a structural problem that prevents the group from progressing at all there has to be a point to say goodbye
    PC/EU AD 1500+ PC/NA 300+

Schemering - Breton magicka Nightblade
    Ambergloed - Argonian Templar Healer
    Fonkeling - Argonian Dragonknight Tank
    Twinkeling - Dunmer magicka Nightblade
    Sprankeling- Altmer magicka Nightblade
    Schittering - Redguard stamina Nightblade
    Glinstering - Khajiit stamina Sorcerer
    Spiegeling - Altmer magicka Necromancer
    Flonkering - Orc stamina Necromancer
    Glimmering - Argonian Necromancer
    Duisternis - Dunmer magicka Dragonknight
    Maanlicht - Altmer magicka Templar
    Weerlicht - Altmer magicka Sorcerer
    Zonnestraal - Redguard stamina Warden EP char
    Slagschaduw - Dunmer magicka Warden - Healer or Damage Dealer
    Ochtendgloren - Imperial stamina Templar
    Avondval - Redguard stamina Dragonknight
    Aurora Noorderlicht - Breton magicka Nightblade DC char
    Dageraad - Breton magicka Sorcerer

Wisseling - Breton magicka Nightblade NA
    Zonsverduistering - Breton Templar NA Healer
    Tinteling - Argonian Dragonknight NA Tank
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with them
    I don't pug what I can't solo so if this scenario comes up it's a non-issue xD