The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Consensus in necromancer tank, and other questions... thanks in advance!

dalymiddleboro
What's the consensus on necromancer?

I'm thinking about making a necro tank my main...

Also is moondance still top tier on magicka dps? Namely sorcs and magicka necromancers?

For tanking, how does the necromancer stack up to the dragonknight?

If it's better at tanking, my DK tank can retire and move into pariahs pinnacle full time, and relax in his old age... lol

I hear Nord is the way to go, for necro tank?
  • dalymiddleboro
    Bump
  • Ozby
    Ozby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Tanking Necromancer is a lot of fun to play, however it wont replace the DK or the Warden due to the Buffs and Debuffs they bring to the team. This video may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YjTMUiLR8
    Edited by Ozby on May 31, 2019 4:10PM
    PC NA
    Aurora Bravepaw (Healden), Basks in Fire (DKTank), Bran Artlion (Magplar), Brindel Seedthorne (Stamden WW), Brugo Gargak (Stamcro), Casimir Delmar (StamDK), Falco Bastion (Stamsorc), Fus Ro Dah (Stamplar), Gandalff the Gay (Petsorc), Jo-Qinan Betula (Magden), Laveera Hex (Magcro), Raine Whitestag (Stamden), Raised by Bears (Wardentank), Ralak Rotheart (Healcro), Selene Sunshadow MagDK), Shadow Mirage (NBTank), Slythe Rattlebone (Healplar), Ulfnor Dragonslayer (Tankcro).
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A: FYI, bumping is against forum rules.

B: for a build related question like this, I recommend posting in the Combat and Characters subforum instead. Plus it’s less active than general, meaning you probably wouldn’t need to bump to get a response.

C: dragonknight’s engulfing flames debuff will continue to make it desirable in end game for the foreseeable future. Magdk dps is decent this patch, but it’s still likely to get outparsed by other melee, stam dps and so dk tanks probably aren’t going anywhere.
    However, necromancers are packed with a ton of desirable tanking utilities. Not counting engulfing flames, Necro tanks are probably comparable in effectiveness to dk tanks, maybe a little lower if I had to scale them. Sustain seems to be the biggest issue for them, between their main sustain passive being tied to enemy deaths (and consequently not coming into play much during a lot of extended boss fights) and the still rather clunky corpse targeting mechanic for mortal coil. But I’m still toying with builds so I might simply not have found the magic combo yet.
    I don’t think moondancer has exactly been top tier for several patches. Better than the majority of sets, sure, but still outranked by several. It could work well with magnecros using avid boneyard, but I imagine you’re still better off with some combo of siroria, spell strat, false god’s, mother’s sorrow, or burning spellweave to name a few.

Edit: oh, and re: nords, they’re very well suited for tanking now. Imperials, orcs, and to a lesser extent argonians are all very effective as well. Bretons and redguards are good if you need sustain for a particular resource.
    Edited by jypcy on May 31, 2019 4:16PM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the necro tank it seems like it is in a good and balanced spot. DK has chains, better healer, instant ad control with talons, and regens resources on ulti. Necro has an auto-chain mechanic that is convenient but isn't as precise, the ad control (totem) is on a delay, but still fun and functional. The heal (spirit) is not as effective as green blood but it absorbs damage.

Overall I'm left thinking the necro tank is really fun, balanced and i'm enjoying it. I wouldn't quite hold it to standard of my DK, but it is close.

I won't be making it my main tank, because if I do, a day later I'd expect ZOS will find a way to nerf the fun out of it.
  • highkingnm
    highkingnm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm loving it. I think it is join with Warden as second best tank, but for different reasons. In four man content, Beckoning Armor, Bone Totem and Bitter Harvest make it the ulti generating, crowd controlling, mob stacking dream. In trials I think it'll fall short of wardens as it isn't as selfless and Minor Vulnerability can be provided by IA. It's more selfish in many regrds, but it's strength could be war horn. In mob-heavy fights, wearing Bloodspawn, I can keep almost 100% uptime on War Horn with healer. That is going to be insanely useful in hard four man. Resurrect may make them popular in progression, but for score runs DK/Warden or DK/DK is still going to be king.

All in, they are very good tanks, although have not displaced DK. I don't think anything will without access to a magicka equivalent to chains and as good a CC as Dark Talons. Where I will say they shine above all other tanks is they are very, very fun. First time I've enjoyed tanking more than DPS or healing in a long time.