Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Faction Lock ruining online experience with friends

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Players were encouraged to pick a faction side and head out into the world. I guess back when ESO was first announced and I noticed this was how it was going to be but apparently it didn't stay like that (Not sure) I just started playing the game a month ago.

For a game that has been out for 5 years, it's kind of ridiculous to act like the time "players were encouraged to pick a faction side" was significant. That was 1 year of the game. For 4 years, players have been encouraged to do just the opposite. 4 years. That's 4 years of brand new players who have been encouraged to create characters they are now forced to play on a dead campaign. Why a dead campaign? Because the PVP population isn't large enough for more than 1 campaign. People don't want to play on the 7 day campaign because there aren't enough players to populate it and the 30 day. And unlike faction lockers, actual pvp players don't want to PVdoor an empty map.

This is complete boulderdash, there is more than enough PvP population to populate the 7 day as well as the 30 day campaigns. It is time to stop this stubborn dog piling into one campaign, the servers can't handle it.

If that were the case the campaigns would all be full. They are not, so clearly that is not the case. And the servers are supposed to handle the campaigns at pop lock. You can't have any more players in the campaign than the pop lock would allow. If the servers cannot handle that, that is a server problem, not a player problem.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:19PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The good news is you can now make some new friends in the faction you are now locked into.

They might not look like Steve, smell like Joey, or be as skillful as HulkMaster01905, but you will feel the thrill of fighting for the honor of your faction alongside those brothers and sisters.

Or you could PvP in BGs, IC, or a 7 day campaign with your current group of friends.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expert wrote: »

I can go to cyrodil alone and that's not the idea, I rather go to cyrodil with friends. You tell me, do you zerg the map with people you know? I bet you that's what you do, so you can't tell me you play solo and enjoy it.

I know quite a few people on my server to the point where saying something in chat last night got me a bunch of “hey it’s DK, welcome back” messages.

Yet, I haven’t played in a group in a long time. There’s a 99% chance that I’ll decline someone’s group invite. Why? Not because I’m anti-social, far from it. It’s because I’m significantly better at Cyrodiil while ungrouped. In the Zerg or not. I’m better alone and I help the war effort more that way.

So yeah, I play solo and I enjoy it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:20PM
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't large guild what actually affect the score of a campaign anyways ? I'm pretty sure all the big guilds all play on a certain alliance of their choice. The only people really affected by this are the people who usually only small group and don't even care about the alliance score in the first place. The people that play more than one alliance are really just there for some fun fights at a tower or something.

give me some good reasons why you think faction locks are a good thing. and don't say it stops players from swapping to another faction to take over the map because you need to move a whole raid to another alliance for them to actually be significant.

Look a dozen or so posts up
    A.) Troll scrolls
    B.) Emperor flipping with friends back and forth.
    C.) Farm AP by flipping map swapping to other faction flip map repeat over and over again.
    D.) To grief

Your understanding of the "affected" people is simply incorrect. Everyone who spends the majority of their play time in Cyrodiil is affected by the above. Those reasons are now curbed and its much more enjoyable.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:21PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason the campaigns aren’t full right now is due to players like me: Leveling up a new Necromancer.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why I've taken the initiative to have 3 characters on 3 different factions.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those of us who are newcomers to PvP and were playing with friends who were teaching us the ropes because we're not comfortable just wandering into a group of strangers...we don't matter. Casual PvPers don't matter. New PvPers who aren't social butterflies don't matter. People who need help to get started don't matter. That's the statement ZOS has made with this. My inability to continue to learn to play with my friends by joining them wherever they happened to be playing depending on who's on when just isn't as important as stopping whatever nonsense was going on at leaderboard levels, so....yeah, I get it. I've been sacrificed. Those of you who who I was sacrificed *for* ought to show some damn gratitude and at least have some compassion for those of us who just can't play anymore because no, showing up to get killed repeatedly by friends in another faction and everyone else in another faction is not "playing with friends" no matter how many times someone who is at a high skill level and doesn't remember what it's like to be an unskilled newbie says it is.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

We have recently removed a handful of posts as they were non-constructive, as well as some for baiting. While we can understand that members of the community may not always agree on everything, we would like to ask that all posts be civil and constructive. Also to add, baiting is a violation of the rules that we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please do feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have so many friends that I can no longer play with and have fun anymore because of this. To wait a FULL month is disturbing and only hurts my ability to enjoy ESO.

This is why we have more than one campaign, and several campaigns are lock-free. So, if you want to play with your friends, just go in one of the free campaigns. Problem solved.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Surak73 wrote: »
    I have so many friends that I can no longer play with and have fun anymore because of this. To wait a FULL month is disturbing and only hurts my ability to enjoy ESO.

This is why we have more than one campaign, and several campaigns are lock-free. So, if you want to play with your friends, just go in one of the free campaigns. Problem solved.

Pretty much this.
  • Katastrophia
    Katastrophia
    ✭✭
    I’m hoping the bugs are fixed.
    Edited by Katastrophia on May 30, 2019 10:29PM
  • sabina175
    sabina175
    ✭✭
    Still have to wait for faction lock as I play on console. But glad it is coming. A few months back we had an emp who played EP by day and AD by night. And yes I have friends on other factions, we do Duells, BGs or PVE together.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The good news is you can now make some new friends in the faction you are now locked into.

They might not look like Steve, smell like Joey, or be as skillful as HulkMaster01905, but you will feel the thrill of fighting for the honor of your faction alongside those brothers and sisters.

Or you could PvP in BGs, IC, or a 7 day campaign with your current group of friends.

It's a game, no one in a video game faction is my brother or sister.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people i know are happy with faction lock

[snip]

[Edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 31, 2019 12:50AM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've quit pvp - gone back to guild wars
    Edited by rumple9 on May 30, 2019 11:40PM
  • iLLcrime
    iLLcrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    In most games the faction you pick is account wide, and for good reason. Now if they gave us some kind of a once use faction swap token so people could "play with their friends" then that would solve a lot of the problems with that issue as friends could use them to switch one of their characters to the same faction as their "friends".
    I put on my robe and wizard hat
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's a game, no one in a video game faction is my brother or sister.

Lol okay. Would you prefer comrades?
    Edited by brandonv516 on May 31, 2019 6:28PM
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing prevents those preferring unlocked (CP-positive) campaigns from organizing a mass migration to the 7-day campaign at the end of the current 28-day campaigns. Nothing prevented them from doing this when the new campaigns were first introduced. It would have required effort, but if unlocked was really important to a non-niche population, it should have been possible to overcome fears of an empty server. Amid all the threads saying that locked campaigns would be a blight on certain types of PvP, I didn't see one attempting to organize such a move.
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I want to play soccer with my friends I build a team with them for the whole season. I dont ask to change of team every match.
    Edited by david_m_18b16_ESO on June 1, 2019 12:23AM
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest part of all of this are the people defending "Faction Lock".
    (Mostly the fact that I'd bet the vast majority have not been playing the game long enough to remember when Cyrodiil was originally "Alliance Locked" and campaigns were every bit as trolly and probably even more political than now. ie. Re-Locking has done and will do nothing positive. But, I digress.)

The game was, literally, "Faction Locked" from launch. It was in an effort to open the game up and allow people to "Play Their Way" that this was removed. I was on record all the way back then as saying it was a terrible idea to allow people to, "play AD in the morning, DC at lunch time, and EP after dinner", all in the same campaign. I truly thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard of and would "ruin the game". Well, guess what...
    After a while, friends and guildies began "exploring". Some of them eventually founds "new homes" where Cyrodiil alliance is concerned. For some time I stuck to my original faction. But, even I, eventually, began to "explore", reconnecting with old friends and making new as well. The short of it... Nothing was ruined at all, rather the experience became richer.

As of the Elsweyr launch, I had 9 DC, 5 EP, and 1 AD characters. (I've since added 1 more EP.) I am not only friends with several people from both DC & EP, but also a member in more than one guild on each of those factions. However, when Elsweyr launched, I was forced... in an ONLINE GAME to choose. After being given, by the developers, a choice years ago... a choice I had not even asked for, but came to love... that choice had been removed with no regard for the feedback of the players that actually play Cyrodiil AvA the most. Anyone, and I do mean anyone (looking at you, ZOS developers, as well) who thinks that this is, has been, or ever will be a "good idea" truly does not play The Elder Scrolls ONLINE as a GAME in which the people you play with are more than rubbish to be discarded. I truly hope, for the sake of others around you, that you do not also walk through daily life with such disregard, not just for your fellow man, but for people you actually claim to be friends.
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 5:26AM
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    When I want to play soccer with my friends I build a team with them for the whole season. I dont ask to change of team every match.

You've never played any sport on more than one team? When I was still young enough to do so, I played ice hockey for as many as 3 leagues simultaneously. I'd have a Wednesday night game with one, a Friday night game with another, and a Sunday morning game with the 3rd. I simply wanted to play hockey. It was a game. (And, yes, 2 of the 3 allowed "fill ins" from other teams within the same league, if need be.)

The Elder Scrolls Online is also a game. It is a game in which I may log on at a given time on a given day... and find the faction population to be so skewed that my best, if not only, hope of finding a reasonable fight is to play an alliance I didn't expect to play at that time or on that day. Or, I may have friends online in a faction I was not expecting to play at that time or on that day who ask me to play with them... so I oblige.

These should not be foreign or disregarded concepts in a game.
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 5:23AM
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tin foil hat community shouting that "without faction lock everyone just trolls scrolls and emp flip" boggles my mind by making it sound like everyone who enters Cyro who doesn't have 15 EP characters on their account is a traitor to the pact and shouldn't be allowed to play the game because their only goal is to ruin MY leaderboard experience.

How often does this actually happen versus the millions of people who just want to play PvP in a populated campaign with their friends, but actively can't because of Faction lock forcing more than half of their characters into other campaigns.

No I'm not hopping on my AD toon to send secrets over to my EP buddy. I made some of these characters in 2014 and you're telling me I can't use them now?

It happens alot especially when running for emp, the casual PVPer doesnt experience these things but for the competitive players it's annoying when you spend a day straight grinding AP to have the guy behind you jump up 100k AP in an hour because his friends are letting him farm them or taking a castle and letting him just rebuild.

It happens more than you think, you're just not competitive enough to see it.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole playing with friends complaint for PVP is stupid. You could never team up in PVP being in different factions to begin with even before lock so it's still the same thing and if your friends are different faction dont log into the character that's opposite faction of them and you wont have problems PVPing with friends.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    This whole playing with friends complaint for PVP is stupid. You could never team up in PVP being in different factions to begin with even before lock so it's still the same thing and if your friends are different faction dont log into the character that's opposite faction of them and you wont have problems PVPing with friends.

Friend plays ep but has a dc char, they could log the dc char to play with you, now they can't.

Point is people could log into different characters to play with different friends, now they have to stick with one alliance and that means being unable to play with certain friends.

Edited by Crixus8000 on June 1, 2019 5:43AM
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    The tin foil hat community shouting that "without faction lock everyone just trolls scrolls and emp flip" boggles my mind by making it sound like everyone who enters Cyro who doesn't have 15 EP characters on their account is a traitor to the pact and shouldn't be allowed to play the game because their only goal is to ruin MY leaderboard experience.

How often does this actually happen versus the millions of people who just want to play PvP in a populated campaign with their friends, but actively can't because of Faction lock forcing more than half of their characters into other campaigns.

No I'm not hopping on my AD toon to send secrets over to my EP buddy. I made some of these characters in 2014 and you're telling me I can't use them now?

It happens alot especially when running for emp, the casual PVPer doesnt experience these things but for the competitive players it's annoying when you spend a day straight grinding AP to have the guy behind you jump up 100k AP in an hour because his friends are letting him farm them or taking a castle and letting him just rebuild.

1) That's actually a pretty wild assumption. I've been at the top level on PC-NA in both PvE & PvP over these 5 years now and I'm in agreement with "The Casual PvPer" on this one.

2) "Faction Lock" solves your hypothetical scenario how, exactly? If all that is required to boost oneself past the competition is to farm friends on another faction, are you asserting that people will no longer have friends that they can farm on other factions simply because ZeniMax Online Studios flipped a switch?

3) Arguably the most trolly thing I've seen since PC launch is "Emp Blocking" by way of those that wish to block that player from becoming Emperor simply setting up 20 oils (or whatever siege, really, and just not using them) at the last inner-circle keep needed to prevent their own faction from being able to siege said keep. No "filthy faction-hopping" required at all to troll or hijack an entire faction and/or campaign because of one grudge.

The Moral: At the end of the day, both decent and despicable people live in this world and both play games. I've never seen punishing the decent for the sake of the despicable work out well in games or in life.
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 5:59AM
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ad hominem. "You're not leet enough".

• Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be best thing for a long time to hit pvp in eso. There is so much alliance swapping crap ongoing, boosting, zonehat crrap etc etc etc in eso.

Lets look at from positive view though a) you do not have swap the characters like socks with your friends nomore in 30 day campaign b) maybe it was time to make new "friends" c) summer is avoid to start and now you can leave for rl outdoors activities more since your "friends" are uninstalling eso d) You made ie. login back to the forums again and try to stop your crying eyes with this post.

All in all if still feel strongly trolling with your "friends" than i give a free advice as bonus. Select 7 day campaign -> make it main -> invite all your friends to it and you all will live happily ever after.

However since most of these people crying about it are the ones that swap colours every 15min and try max abuse the system i recommend the outdoor option. summer = sun <- you might actually enjoy it.

have a nice weekend...
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    Miswar wrote: »
    This will be best thing for a long time to hit pvp in eso. There is so much alliance swapping crap ongoing, boosting, zonehat crrap etc etc etc in eso.

Lets look at from positive view though a) you do not have swap the characters like socks with your friends nomore in 30 day campaign b) maybe it was time to make new "friends" c) summer is avoid to start and now you can leave for rl outdoors activities more since your "friends" are uninstalling eso d) You made ie. login back to the forums again and try to stop your crying eyes with this post.

All in all if still feel strongly trolling with your "friends" than i give a free advice as bonus. Select 7 day campaign -> make it main -> invite all your friends to it and you all will live happily ever after.

However since most of these people crying about it are the ones that swap colours every 15min and try max abuse the system i recommend the outdoor option. summer = sun <- you might actually enjoy it.

have a nice weekend...

Are you assuming that people with disabilities that are unable to simply "go outside" do not play PC games? Are you suggesting that such people should simply uninstall TESO rather than voice their concerns and/or dissatisfaction? Are you attacking anyone who does not share your opinion by calling their words "crying".

Please help me to get a feel for whether this is genuine or just a bad attempt at levity. Thanks.
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 6:15AM
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yirmeyahu wrote: »
    Miswar wrote: »

have a nice weekend...

Are you assuming that people with disabilities that are unable to simply "go outside" do not play PC games? Are you suggesting that such people should simply uninstall TESO rather than voice their concerns and/or dissatisfaction? Are you attacking anyone who does not share your opinion by calling their words "crying".

Please help me to get a feel for whether this is genuine or just a bad attempt at levity. Thanks.

No. I was merely pointing out how sad these type of cry me a river threads are and nothing wrong pointing out that summer sun will do good for many people around here.

There.. answered your questions and if read carefully enough gave you an hint how to 'fix' the issues you are having with eso. Switch to 7 day campaign which btw should be the most popular one since you are making false assumption that people actually wohn't play the faction locked ones.

Now enough time wasted on this subject... just one more thing you might have not known -> you can play games outside pc as well.

Enjoy your sun...

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There is so much BS going on right now without it. I’m spending considerably less time in Cyrodiil.

That should be what’s bothering ZOS about this.
This discussion has been closed.