The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Faction Lock ruining online experience with friends

Expert
Expert
✭✭✭✭
I have so many friends that I can no longer play with and have fun anymore because of this. To wait a FULL month is disturbing and only hurts my ability to enjoy ESO.

Taking away access to play with your friends in an online MMO only hurts the fun for me and my friends. Who knows, I could get tired of waiting a month or tired of faction lock that I end up quitting because I can't have fun with my friends anymore.

The idea of faction lock was to prevent people from switching factions excessively, just add a 24 hour timer but not a 30 day timer. Now I'm EP and play with a DC player, and because of faction lock we cant group up but we still double team up and fight AD together. Faction lock working as intended? I think not, only hurting the game even more at this point.

The most important thing about an online MMO's success is the ability to interact with your friends and play online. You've completely took that away , please revert changes or add a much smaller lockout timer such as 24 hours instead of 30 days before the official elsewyr launch otherwise this will be an embarrassment to our game. We're going to have a lot of traffic to our game, please don't make them quit because they can't play with their friends too.
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about we lock the 7 day campaign and unlock the 30 day and see if all the faction diehards swap over?
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sy1ph5 wrote: »
    How about we lock the 7 day campaign and unlock the 30 day and see if all the faction diehards swap over?

GOOD POINT!!!!!!
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

I can go to cyrodil alone and that's not the idea, I rather go to cyrodil with friends. You tell me, do you zerg the map with people you know? I bet you that's what you do, so you can't tell me you play solo and enjoy it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:00PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it has come down to a handful spamming threads.
    Yeah you like to jump back and forth with your friends, we get it.
    That is exactly the problem, guilds/groups jumping back and forth.
    Edited by TequilaFire on May 27, 2019 3:29AM
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get the point? You're not constructively adding ideas , people just want to play with friends but you rather hate on it. Do you play Cyrodil alone or with friends? you tell me
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know right. That the funny thing. No they want faction lock shut down for the follow reasons and ZOS knows it.

A.) Troll scrolls
    B.) Emperor flipping with friends back and forth.
    C.) Farm AP by flipping map swapping to other faction flip map repeat over and over again.
    D.) To grief

They have a choice. Them choosing not to utilize that choice, is totally on them.

Less complaining and move to 7 day and make a statement, that you guys are not a fringe minority of problem players.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:10PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually if all those people went to the 7 day it’d still be dead because, let’s face it... there aren’t that many of them and they don’t do anything significant anyway.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:01PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expert wrote: »
    I can go to cyrodil alone and that's not the idea, I rather go to cyrodil with friends. You tell me, do you zerg the map with people you know? I bet you that's what you do, so you can't tell me you play solo and enjoy it.
    I don't. I go in and group with whoever is there.

Just because you are on different sides than your friends, doesn't mean you aren't playing together. Group up and fight each other [snip]

[Edit to remove bait.]

Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:00PM
    Lethal zergling
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Actually if all those people went to the 7 day it’d still be dead because, let’s face it... there aren’t that many of them and they don’t do anything significant anyway.

Precisely, they do absolutely nothing at all for their alliances because they don't care about alliances.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:02PM
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it has come down to a handful spamming threads.
    Yeah you like to jump back and forth with your friends, we get it.
    That is exactly the problem, guilds/groups jumping back and forth.

That can easily be prevented with 24 hour cooldown timer, or just make excessive faction swapping a reportable offense. Aside from that, going EP or DC once or twice a week is normal, people want to get on and play with their friends. when DC zergs the map, people want to go on a struggling faction for more pvp, thats how I am. If my EP faction zergs the map, i really wished i was DC to play with my friends and have more competitve PvP. I'm not all on the idea of zerging the map, or honoring the glory of EP. I just care about PVP and friends, i care nothing about faction colors or whose winning the map.
  • TheGentleChu
    TheGentleChu
    ✭✭
    The tin foil hat community shouting that "without faction lock everyone just trolls scrolls and emp flip" boggles my mind by making it sound like everyone who enters Cyro who doesn't have 15 EP characters on their account is a traitor to the pact and shouldn't be allowed to play the game because their only goal is to ruin MY leaderboard experience.

How often does this actually happen versus the millions of people who just want to play PvP in a populated campaign with their friends, but actively can't because of Faction lock forcing more than half of their characters into other campaigns.

No I'm not hopping on my AD toon to send secrets over to my EP buddy. I made some of these characters in 2014 and you're telling me I can't use them now?
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't large guild what actually affect the score of a campaign anyways ? I'm pretty sure all the big guilds all play on a certain alliance of their choice. The only people really affected by this are the people who usually only small group and don't even care about the alliance score in the first place. The people that play more than one alliance are really just there for some fun fights at a tower or something.

give me some good reasons why you think faction locks are a good thing. and don't say it stops players from swapping to another faction to take over the map because you need to move a whole raid to another alliance for them to actually be significant.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:05PM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "give me some good reasons why you think faction locks are a good thing. and don't say it stops players from swapping to another faction to take over the map because you need to move a whole raid to another alliance for them to actually be significant."

Why you?

We've been giving them to ZoS for two years. A year ago, ZoS agreed that faction-hopping abuses were a concern. Obviously, ZoS has been watching, reading player reports, looking at data, etc., and decided bringing back limited faction-locks is warranted.

[snip]

[Edit to remove bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:06PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you play "Risk" with your friends, are you all on the same side? When you play Basketball with your friends, are you all on the same side?

It's staggering that, with the implementation of faction locks, the biggest complaint is that people can "no longer play with their friends".

Join up with your faction and go kill each other. It's great fun.
    Lethal zergling
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    "give me some good reasons why you think faction locks are a good thing. and don't say it stops players from swapping to another faction to take over the map because you need to move a whole raid to another alliance for them to actually be significant."

Why you?

We've been giving them to ZoS for two years. A year ago, ZoS agreed that faction-hopping abuses were a concern. Obviously, ZoS has been watching, reading player reports, looking at data, etc., and decided bringing back limited faction-locks is warranted.

[snip]

[Edit to remove bait.]

lets say I'm ignorant, could you give me some examples and tell me how often they happen?
    because as of right now I feel like trying to punish the whole for the action of the the very few( that happens rarely)
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:07PM
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only play one alliance because I only play one character, but I fully understand how this negatively impacts peoples game and fun. Not everyone spies, emp swaps or whatever other trolling complaint people have, some people just like playing with friends and finding good fights. Being unable to play with certain friends is quite stupid and telling people to just go into an unlocked campaign is not a fix because the pop probably isn't very good and there isn't even a non locked no cp campagin for some dumb reason.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The factionless... What can be said about these? Same names every thread. Same debunket points in every thread. Go too 7 days and be in peace. I see NO reasons you guys have too keep fighting for open 30-days...

Firstly; You do not care about factions (You've made this very clear) You do not care about the map (You've made this very clear), You do not care about others that do (You've made this very clear).

Why fight for a campaign that requires 30 DAYS too end for you're free for all fighting?
    Is it maybe because this is also the campaign the faction loyalists play the map on?

Secondly; "I cannot play with my friends" - I've heard this so often now... Why do friends play the game on different factions too begin with? Oh, I get it. You mean ingame friends you've met ingame. Well, Fight against them (what I do) or decide on a faction and roll together.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Hyperion616
    Hyperion616
    ✭✭✭

How you "choose to enjoy an online MMO" is subjective. Your idea of fun doesn't equate to my idea of fun or vise versus. The "woe is me, I can't play with my friends" argument is old and played out. This game before I ever even set foot in it was always based around factions and a faction war.

Players were encouraged to pick a faction side and head out into the world. I guess back when ESO was first announced and I noticed this was how it was going to be but apparently it didn't stay like that (Not sure) I just started playing the game a month ago.

My 2 cents, I enjoy the whole faction war and players having to think a little before picking a side and champion the cause of said faction seems cool. I mean it seems way more sillier to me to pick a faction, yet swap around to w/e side seems to be the dominate side in p.v.p.

At least this company seems willing to make the hard choices when handling a faction based MMO. I can't say the same for World of Warcraft where for 15 years it's been darn near dominated by people picking horde because the dev's and streamers all play that side.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:09PM
    I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

~Edith Sitwell

• Scarpion
    Scarpion
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when this game was about fun and playing with friends? 1T was the best patch for the games growth but Zos clearly value "competitiveness" in their PVP system (which didn't exist and still doesn't exist) over the enjoyment of playing with friends on their game.

They took quite a few steps back, but there is not much that can be done now.
    SDk & MSorc.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Bout time ZOS did this. Majority of us are Over all the fair weather, jumping back and forth players.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know right. That the funny thing. No they want faction lock shut down for the follow reasons and ZOS knows it.

A.) Troll scrolls
    B.) Emperor flipping with friends back and forth.
    C.) Farm AP by flipping map swapping to other faction flip map repeat over and over again.
    D.) To grief

They have a choice. Them choosing not to utilize that choice, is totally on them.

Less complaining and move to 7 day and make a statement, that you guys are not a fringe minority of problem players.

[snip]

How about we just want to play with friends? Who are also forced in different fractions due to race lock except they spent more money on the game?

Someone Likes argonian, the other highelf. No problem for most of the content. But as soon as they realize they cant PvP on the biggest campaign its too late. They also cant create a second character of the same alliance like their friends cause then one of their characters is unable to join the campaign.

[snip]

[Edit to remove bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:11PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To OP, Zos made this choice of faction lock understanding it would affect players games as you have said. They are not concerned or they would have worked through the technical hurdles to provide a mechanism to change factions.

No, I am not in favor of faction locks as they were implemented. I am just stating the reality that Zos knows full well what they did and chose to do nothing to lessen the impact.
  • KlaytonH
    KlaytonH
    Soul Shriven
    I hate faction locks because i can't play on 2/3rds of my characters.

I like faction locks since I can see people being so bad at pvp they decide to swap to an enemy faction to spy on zone chat or to hate/troll people in zone chat.

IMO if you could play on ANY of your characters on the faction you choose to lock into as well as having a shorter faction lock period, I probably wouldn't mind faction locks that much. But since I can't I hate faction locks.

• Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s been a week. [snip]

Go and play on the 7 day campaign. Bring it back to life!

(Could make some awful joke involving necromancy & how appropriate the new class is but I won’t 🙂)

[Edit to remove bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:13PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    The factionless... What can be said about these? Same names every thread. Same debunket points in every thread. Go too 7 days and be in peace. I see NO reasons you guys have too keep fighting for open 30-days...

Firstly; You do not care about factions (You've made this very clear) You do not care about the map (You've made this very clear), You do not care about others that do (You've made this very clear).

Why fight for a campaign that requires 30 DAYS too end for you're free for all fighting?
    Is it maybe because this is also the campaign the faction loyalists play the map on?

Secondly; "I cannot play with my friends" - I've heard this so often now... Why do friends play the game on different factions too begin with? Oh, I get it. You mean ingame friends you've met ingame. Well, Fight against them (what I do) or decide on a faction and roll together.

A friend you can meet and beat on the battlefield is one worth keeping. Well said brother.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t wait. My only wish is that they do it for ALL campaigns.

There is so much BS going on right now without it. I’m spending considerably less time in Cyrodiil.

Blue mains on PS4 NA (both Sheogorath and Sotha Sil) are switching to Red characters and allowing other blues to gap close into keeps. By doing this, they completely bypass the “flagging” mechanic.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Shalktonin
    Shalktonin
    ✭✭✭
    Expert wrote: »
    I have so many friends that I can no longer play with and have fun anymore because of this. To wait a FULL month is disturbing and only hurts my ability to enjoy ESO.

Taking away access to play with your friends in an online MMO only hurts the fun for me and my friends. Who knows, I could get tired of waiting a month or tired of faction lock that I end up quitting because I can't have fun with my friends anymore.

The idea of faction lock was to prevent people from switching factions excessively, just add a 24 hour timer but not a 30 day timer. Now I'm EP and play with a DC player, and because of faction lock we cant group up but we still double team up and fight AD together. Faction lock working as intended? I think not, only hurting the game even more at this point.

The most important thing about an online MMO's success is the ability to interact with your friends and play online. You've completely took that away , please revert changes or add a much smaller lockout timer such as 24 hours instead of 30 days before the official elsewyr launch otherwise this will be an embarrassment to our game. We're going to have a lot of traffic to our game, please don't make them quit because they can't play with their friends too.

sounds like its working well then.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Players were encouraged to pick a faction side and head out into the world. I guess back when ESO was first announced and I noticed this was how it was going to be but apparently it didn't stay like that (Not sure) I just started playing the game a month ago.

For a game that has been out for 5 years, it's kind of ridiculous to act like the time "players were encouraged to pick a faction side" was significant. That was 1 year of the game. For 4 years, players have been encouraged to do just the opposite. 4 years. That's 4 years of brand new players who have been encouraged to create characters they are now forced to play on a dead campaign. Why a dead campaign? Because the PVP population isn't large enough for more than 1 campaign. People don't want to play on the 7 day campaign because there aren't enough players to populate it and the 30 day. And unlike faction lockers, actual pvp players don't want to PVdoor an empty map.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:17PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

For a game that has been out for 5 years, it's kind of ridiculous to act like the time "players were encouraged to pick a faction side" was significant. That was 1 year of the game. For 4 years, players have been encouraged to do just the opposite. 4 years. That's 4 years of brand new players who have been encouraged to create characters they are now forced to play on a dead campaign. Why a dead campaign? Because the PVP population isn't large enough for more than 1 campaign. People don't want to play on the 7 day campaign because there aren't enough players to populate it and the 30 day. And unlike faction lockers, actual pvp players don't want to PVdoor an empty map.

This is complete boulderdash, there is more than enough PvP population to populate the 7 day as well as the 30 day campaigns. It is time to stop this stubborn dog piling into one campaign, the servers can't handle it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 30, 2019 8:18PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC/NA Kaal

I love the faction lock. At first I was thinking it was dooms day for DC but after a few days I noticed the benefits of having a faction lock. DC is starting to work together and it is amazing.

There are still a few pvp (tards) out there that are just wanting attention but over all I'm proud of the DC I'm seeing.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

This discussion has been closed.