The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please remove the "criminal act" from necromancy skills...

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Mmmmm the criminal concept is one of the (few) genuinely unique things about the necro class. It’s not just about immersion, it’s integral to the class.

You don’t like it? Play a naughty sorc instead.

@FierceSam what do you mean it's "integral"? how? is this meant to imply that if the criminal activity mechanic was removed, necro would no longer be a functional, viable class?

what?

Sure it would be a functional, viable class. But would it still be a necromancer in the world of Elder Scrolls?
    The outlaw aspect is a big part of the class flavor. Without it, you could just as well have it summon, say, elementals. Or teddy bears, or whatever.

or you could just remove this silly mechanic altogether since it has no real reason to exist in this type of game. it's a gimmick that i guarantee you even it's most hardcore supporters will be tired of in no time.

what do you even mean, would it still be an elder scrolls necromancer. who cares? when "muh immersion" gets in the way of the video game that i want to play, the game world and background is no longer servicing the game, rather it's the other way around.

this is like game design 101

“We felt it was important to intertwine necromancy and Justice for much the same reason we put Justice in the game in the first place,” says Ed Stark, the team’s Lead Content Designer in charge of the Necromancer class and the Justice system. “Historically, necromancy has always been frowned-upon by Tamrielic society, and so, when some NPCs see an overtly necromantic act, they react with fear or aggression and report it for the crime it is.”

Being a necro is more than a simple set of skills. If it was, there would be no point in developing it as a class. I haven’t had any issues with the justice system, but then I haven’t run around major cities casting criminal skills, just as I haven’t run around stealing stuff in front of NPCs.

If having a unique set of characteristics that define the class gets in the way of you doing ‘your game’, maybe you’re in the wrong place.

please get off your high horse. this isn't some genius game design decision made by the almighty zos, it's a tacked on mechanic specifically to appease the "muh immersion" crowd

i do enjoy your mindset though. "if you don't like this part of the game, maybe you should just stop playing because you're in the wrong place"
    i'm really glad you're not a game designer, suffice to say. if you were, ESO would still be in it's 2014 launch state because clearly, if someone complains about something and sees genuine flaws in the design, well they're just in the wrong place, right?

I mean, there are so many people in the "muh immersion" crowd since this is a TES game, so good luck with that, the "muh immersion" crowd will always take priority over you.

Yes, there’s a reason RPG is part of MMORPG. Story driven content in a world established on lore. Pissing all over people justifying a mechanic with the fact that desecrating graves and reanimating the dead would be worthy of a bounty, as it’s a criminal act, is just silly. Many of us wish vampires and werewolves got bounties, but ZOS chose not to, since so many use the skill line for powerful passives.

i'm so glad you mentioned vamps and werewolves. doesn't it seem so odd they would pick one particular character choice as worthy of a bounty when it makes sense in the context of the game world...but not anything else?

almost feels...tacked on, doesn't it? not thought out well. there for the sake of appeasing a crowd.

They didn't have the justice system back when they released the main game, which included werewolves and vampires.
    If enough people ask for it, maybe they will go back to update ww and vamps to this new mechanic, who knows.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may start watching those fools that like to duel around wayshrines in towns.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mmmmm the criminal concept is one of the (few) genuinely unique things about the necro class. It’s not just about immersion, it’s integral to the class.

@FierceSam what do you mean it's "integral"? how? is this meant to imply that if the criminal activity mechanic was removed, necro would no longer be a functional, viable class?

what?

Sure it would be a functional, viable class. But would it still be a necromancer in the world of Elder Scrolls?
    The outlaw aspect is a big part of the class flavor. Without it, you could just as well have it summon, say, elementals. Or teddy bears, or whatever.

or you could just remove this silly mechanic altogether since it has no real reason to exist in this type of game. it's a gimmick that i guarantee you even it's most hardcore supporters will be tired of in no time.

what do you even mean, would it still be an elder scrolls necromancer. who cares? when "muh immersion" gets in the way of the video game that i want to play, the game world and background is no longer servicing the game, rather it's the other way around.

“We felt it was important to intertwine necromancy and Justice for much the same reason we put Justice in the game in the first place,” says Ed Stark, the team’s Lead Content Designer in charge of the Necromancer class and the Justice system. “Historically, necromancy has always been frowned-upon by Tamrielic society, and so, when some NPCs see an overtly necromantic act, they react with fear or aggression and report it for the crime it is.”

Being a necro is more than a simple set of skills. If it was, there would be no point in developing it as a class. I haven’t had any issues with the justice system, but then I haven’t run around major cities casting criminal skills, just as I haven’t run around stealing stuff in front of NPCs.

If having a unique set of characteristics that define the class gets in the way of you doing ‘your game’, maybe you’re in the wrong place.

please get off your high horse. this isn't some genius game design decision made by the almighty zos, it's a tacked on mechanic specifically to appease the "muh immersion" crowd

i do enjoy your mindset though. "if you don't like this part of the game, maybe you should just stop playing because you're in the wrong place"
    i'm really glad you're not a game designer, suffice to say. if you were, ESO would still be in it's 2014 launch state because clearly, if someone complains about something and sees genuine flaws in the design, well they're just in the wrong place, right?

I mean, there are so many people in the "muh immersion" crowd since this is a TES game, so good luck with that, the "muh immersion" crowd will always take priority over you.

Yes, there’s a reason RPG is part of MMORPG. Story driven content in a world established on lore. Pissing all over people justifying a mechanic with the fact that desecrating graves and reanimating the dead would be worthy of a bounty, as it’s a criminal act, is just silly. Many of us wish vampires and werewolves got bounties, but ZOS chose not to, since so many use the skill line for powerful passives.

i'm so glad you mentioned vamps and werewolves. doesn't it seem so odd they would pick one particular character choice as worthy of a bounty when it makes sense in the context of the game world...but not anything else?

almost feels...tacked on, doesn't it? not thought out well. there for the sake of appeasing a crowd.

They didn't have the justice system back when they released the main game, which included werewolves and vampires.
    If enough people ask for it, maybe they will go back to update ww and vamps to this new mechanic, who knows.

how many years has it been since the justice system was added?

yeah.
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't mind me, just a guy passing through wanting to say that he loves how normalized "muh immersion" is in this thread. Ciao.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they had, as well. It is too late for those skill lines, though. They predate Justice, and that would have been a big change to include it in justice. The original justice system was focused on more overt criminal acts to support Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kvirus11
    kvirus11
    ✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »

what?

Fourteen of my sixteen characters are werewolves, and one is a vampire.

I say bring on the bounties that everyone has been calling for ever since they announced the necro penalties so that the Justice system is consistent across the board.

Agreed. Give me a reason to make sure I change back from wolfing out before I enter a populated area, Give me a possibility to have guards freak seeing a vampire, use a aoe charm to barter in town with merchants, and possibly barter only at night or in designated vampire run areas, & give me a reason to unsummon my pets in town or be attacked by guards Make it level! Make all "forbidden" acts punishable with a bounty or remove the bounty altogether and just get attacked on sight.
    God knows it'll clean up crafting locations from the 300 wandering daedra always cluttering.
    Edited by kvirus11 on May 26, 2019 12:18PM
  • bigelle.x3_ESO
    bigelle.x3_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Remove please. This design is dumb.
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and would be happy to see it expanded. If this is the death knell of town duelling all the better!
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what?

yeah.

How long has it been since they introduced the criminal act mechanics in necromancer?
    Uhm, a week if you count PC early access?

yeah.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy has always been frowned upon and necromancers have been hunted in previous games. Why stop now just because two necros want to dual? I mean, seriously...
    PC: CP 1200+ DroDest, Bringer of light
    PS4: CP 1500+ Dro Dest, SoTN, Bringer of light, CragHMs, EoF, IR, TTT
    Xbox: CP 450 Fungal Grotto 1 HM
  • kvirus11
    kvirus11
    ✭✭✭
    What's funny to me about this complaint over the necro illegal acts is this...
    No one cares about killing every npc in town with blade of woe, no one cares about farming sheep, no one cares about breaking any crime in the game when it's convenient for players or it doesn't adversely effect them. No one cares about looting every home in town to fence items for gold/launder items later. It's just part of the game. ZOS says I can.
    But now that this specific class has a mechanic that directly makes you be aware and marked in your actions, it sucks and is dumb.
    The real complaint and elephant in the room is that it is a totally inconvenience to how people want to play the game.
    And that in and of itself is funny. Adapt or move on.
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe instead of adding a bounty, necromancy could just make guards attack you...? The bounty is what annoys me and is completely unfair to those playing the class. Thoughts?

We need more criminal skills. Summoning daedric creatures in town should be a crime which a fine is charged for.
  • kvirus11
    kvirus11
    ✭✭✭

what?

yeah.

Shortly after the official launch, they started to add pieces of the Justice system in buffs to fighters guild abilities to do OP damage to Ww/Vamp toons in pvp as a test patch and the players cried like their dogs were kicked because they were getting absolutely slaughtered. Hunter builds exploded all over the net. "Took away from the immersion and was impossible to be either sub class" was the rampant complaint. ZOS adjusted it and the Justice system went silent.
    Now because the mechanic in necro class is problematic to how people want to play the game is the issue? The criminal acts doesn't make the class impossible to play. It makes people unable to duel in towns. That's the underlying issue here. Full stop.
    There's a huge difference between making a class or subclass impossible to use and making one inconvenient to play.
    Edited by kvirus11 on May 26, 2019 12:52PM
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't necessarily need to be removed just tweaked a bit to where you don't get bounties in places like delves or dungeons, this is what I've seen claimed anyways. I'm on console so forgive me if that was some bologna somebody made up haha. There's probably some quest areas that'll be annoying to fight in because of this as well, so I wonder if they could make it to where only guards themselves react to it? Instead of somebody accidentally firing off a skill and getting an npc mob after them XD
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s about time more criminal acts are treated accordingly by NPCs. Now that this has been implemented for necromancer, please expand it. Transformed werewolves, vampiric abilities and summoning Daedra should also trigger Justice reactions.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just expand the Justice System to include Sorc Pets, Warden's Bear, Vampires and Werewolves.
    Let's also enable PvP for stealing items.

LET'S OVERHAUL THE ENTIRE THING!!!!!
    Argonian forever
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see daedra summoners, vampos and ww's added to the list. They should also lose access to the FG skill-line.
  • OnlyOnThursday
    OnlyOnThursday
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, its soooo frustrating to get murdered for buffing yourself!
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy has been hated throughout Tamriel since whenever - The main quest is an anti Necro quest - Oblivion major add-on was an anti Necro quest, many mini quests were anti Necro quest.

Its never going to be perfect but Elder Scrolls at least attempts to be lore consistent.

And you want to stand in the middle of town and blow off necro magic and no-one take notice?

Do the Thieves Guild quests and get the passives to kill off your bounty!

Complaining about restrictions after freely choosing a class where the restrictions are clearly stated in the class description is not a very mature response. Playing the character in the way it was designed is. Try it.

• StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There isnt that many skills that are labeled as Criminal Act.

Blastbones, which needs a Target, so you casted it with intent...

Archer-Mage and Mender. Mindlessly follows you, cannot be truly targeted, last16 seconds (8sec for a mender morph) you cannot cast accidentally, and IF (thats a very big if) was before entering town, just wait the short timer out... its not a race.

Bone Goliath (Ult), casted with intent.

Frozen/Pestilence colossus (Ult), casted with intent.

Animate blastbones (ult+morph) need corpses... premeditated and casted with intent.

And if those where accidents (again, a VERY BIG IF...) calm the hell down, dont need to be spamming everything every second for that 5seconds of attention during a duel in the middle of a town like some promnight dumpster millhouse baby.
    As well invest in them Counterfeit Bounty Writs that clear bounties/level up thief and DB skill line early.
    Think i have about 786+ stocked up. All cause, i have real world medical conditions that do trigger accidental ability uses. Although, i haven't had any problems accidentally using abilities, and i dont mindlessly duel like Millhouse in town.

All other abilities do nothing, unless your actively targeting NPCs and/spamming like a madman... no one to truly blame, but yourself for them bounties.
    Edited by StormeReigns on May 26, 2019 4:01PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes to this.

what an unnecessary mechanic.

inb4 "but muh immersion"

BUT MUH IMMERSION
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    yes to this.

inb4 "but muh immersion"

BUT MUH IMMERSION

But werewolves and vampire are fine for some reasons
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes to this.

inb4 "but muh immersion"

muh convenience
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that people complain about Necro skills while dueling in towns and cities instead of just moving outside of towns are cities is kinda funny. Is it really so hard to take two minutes to move far enough from a populated place before dueling? There's also the fact that Rich very specifically said "maybe don't duel in towns" when the point about Necros dueling in towns and getting bounties for certain skills was brought up. They knew what they were doing with this. Iirc it's also been stated that depending on how Necro goes, they might very well end up expanding the Justice System more, so no, it doens't just feel 'tacked on'. It feels like they're testing the waters of potentially making more use of the system than just stealing/killing.

I doubt Sorc pets or Warden bears would ever get added to the system though, because while it's annoying trying to shuffle around them to interact with NPCs or items, that stuff isn't inherently illegal in most of Tamriel. Summoning and Conjuration are, as I've mentioned plenty of times, viable practices. You might get dirty looks and people will definitely avoid you if you're walking around with a random Daedra in town, but most places don't see that in and of itself as a crime. Only if you start rampaging with said Daedra do you actually become a criminal.

Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Van_Winkle
    Van_Winkle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, leave your "lore" for single player TES games. This is online game, and when i pay for new content, i want that new content will be comfortable, not annoying. When i accidentally push the button in city and got attacked by immortal guards - it is not funny at all.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »
    Necromancy has been hated throughout Tamriel since whenever - The main quest is an anti Necro quest - Oblivion major add-on was an anti Necro quest, many mini quests were anti Necro quest.

Its never going to be perfect but Elder Scrolls at least attempts to be lore consistent.

In Oblivion and Skyrim
    1. conjuration was completely allowed in the game, a school of magic that allowed the summoning of the undead and Deadra.
    2. vampire players could walk about without a bounty
    3. the capturing of NPC souls required black soulgems
    In ESO
    1. vampire players can walk about without any bounty
    2. werewolf players can run through towns in wolfform without a bounty
    3. we have a skill line that allows the summoning of Daedric creatures
    4. we are allowed to steal the souls of NPCS using normal soulgems, in previous TES games this required black soulgems which were used by necromancers.
    5. we have quests that have the player summoning daedra and ally with npcs that use necromancy (brothers of strife questchain)
    6. the player themselves uses necromancy during the main quest.

This was an unnecessary and contradictive addition to the justice system.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also the fact that Rich very specifically said "maybe don't duel in towns" when the point about Necros dueling in towns and getting bounties for certain skills was brought

It's a pretty baffling decision when you're trying to sell a product but place downsides upon it other products don't have... isn't the idea to entice people? "Everyone else can duel atop guards but you can't use X skill there or you'll be attacked" isn't very appealing.

On dueling specifically, why not make duels in sight of town guards illegal for all? Get rid of all the people throwing effects around being a public nuisance, not just one class... and even then, it's only certain skills which doesn't make sense. Is that Flaming Skull organically grown from paste, looks like it was made from a mangled corpse to me but the healing Spirit Mender just minding his own ghostly business is the one who gets me arrested.

The lore reason starts to fall apart a bit after that.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    short answer:

Git Gud.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Van_Winkle wrote: »
    Guys, leave your "lore" for single player TES games. This is online game, and when i pay for new content, i want that new content will be comfortable, not annoying. When i accidentally push the button in city and got attacked by immortal guards - it is not funny at all.

They’ve been up front about the criminal abilities since the twitch reveal, how is it their fault you paid for something that on the very creation page has a red print warning saying how they use some abilities that will be seen as a crime?

Just change your bars in town, voila, problem fixed.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just change your bars in town, voila, problem fixed

Unless you're playing a conjurer Necro and your quest involves non-hostile NPC's anywhere in the vicinity... then you can't use half your build or the bounty bar goes up. You can spam Flaming Skulls for hours and nobody cares though, it really doesn't make sense... if they truly wanted to go the lore route, why exceptions?
    Edited by Transairion on May 26, 2019 4:09PM
This discussion has been closed.