The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Riverhold Dragon 100% respawn on death...WTF

reidbaker
reidbaker
So I'm not sure how this got through testing - but on the Battle For Riverhold, once you knock the dragon with the ballista, if you die (pretty easy to do for an early story quest) - he respawns at 100% in the arena with NO ballista. How the hell? AND it's at the end of an instance you have to do entirely again if you want another legitimate crack at him.

Am I missing something? This is remarkably frustrating for such an early story quest. You die, you have to redo the entire instance again (and manually exit to retry)... soulstones are useless.
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker
    I'm watching videos where the encounter is structured way different. When he's downed, leaving 1% health, he seems rather unassuming. But when I attempted him, he was a huge damage sponge that had massive AOE that essentially 2-shotted me. And again, if you die during that last 1%, he respawns at 100%.

With One Tamriel, I thought content scaled to your level, nothing so far in Elsweyr has been problematic. But this story quest halted with my level 10 Necro.
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working as intended. It shows new players they need to git gud and start search for solution early, so they won’t be doing 4 digit dps at 300cp.
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker
    Working as intended. It shows new players they need to git gud and start search for solution early, so they won’t be doing 4 digit dps at 300cp.

This is remarkably unhelpful. Respawning at 100% can't be what's intended considering how the fight starts. And what do you mean 'git gud'. It's a sharp change in an early story quest that I'm assuming is under One Tamriel.

It's broken. Simple as that.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought all bosses/mobs reset on wipe... Why would this dragon be any different?

If you'd like a "tear your hair out" frustration level, try soloing the kings in skyreach catacombs and wiping with the last one just barely above execute... :|
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker
    I thought all bosses/mobs reset on wipe... Why would this dragon be any different?

If you'd like a "tear your hair out" frustration level, try soloing the kings in skyreach catacombs and wiping with the last one just barely above execute... :|

This boss has an opening mechanic that knocks out 99% of it's health. If you die (he hits really hard and 2-shot me, which is different from anything else encountered), re respawns to 100% and the mechanic is disabled, which is intended to be part of the fight.
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker
    reidbaker wrote: »

This boss has an opening mechanic that knocks out 99% of it's health. If you die (he hits really hard and 2-shot me, which is different from anything else encountered), re respawns to 100% and the mechanic is disabled, which is intended to be part of the fight.

And the problem with completely restarting the fight is that you have to redo the entire instance by manually leaving. Using a soul-stone is wasteful in this case. The game doesn't provide any information on this if it's intended - I'm not so new to this game that I think this is consistent. Finished summerset and other zone quests, this is a very unique case.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope this is a bug :(
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the overland dragon took 10 plus cp cap guys to take down, this dragon is quest story dragon right? They should be easy to take down, or are they made to be hard for new players?
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker
    Well, the overland dragon took 10 plus cp cap guys to take down, this dragon is quest story dragon right? They should be easy to take down, or are they made to be hard for new players?
    You're missing the issue. The mechanic doesn't reset. It allows you to blow through soul stones trying to figure out what's going on. You have to manually reset the while instance and work through the entire instant to try again. They shouldn't allow you to use a soul stone if it's "working as intended". I'm guessing it's not working as it should.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With One Tamriel, I thought content scaled to your level
    This is wrong by the way.

Since 1T, everything you encounter in the world is fixed at CP160 and *you* are scaled up to match (and even exceed) the stats of a CP160 player.

The difference is important ...
    shades.gif

PS: Not that this helps you with your bug

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

1000+ dps?

How much "gudder" do I need to be?

Edited by Mr_Walker on May 22, 2019 2:49AM
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m glad you lovely PC folks are working out all the bugs before we get the new content in 2 weeks. 😝

Seriously though, that sounds super frustrating and I hope they sort out whatever isn’t working properly. If it were me, I would probably leave my low level newbie character and take my high CP main through the story content until a fix comes. Good luck. 👍
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Err... wasn't this thing in PTS for like a month or more to test? :smiley:
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its some exceptions if you have npc helpers they might continue to fight the boss while you res. Its an nice way to make an boss harder while still be doable on low level characters.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So all I am seeing is abandon the quest and start it over as the only way to deal with this quest if you die. It seems to bring you back a little bit more than would be reasonable, I really don't want to have to abandon the quest 15 times and redo that much every time (my girls squishy lol, but 15 times might be an exaggeration). So for now, I will not be continuing the main quest and will go do something else instead :smile:

@ZOS_GinaBruno is this being looked into by chance?
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is remarkably unhelpful. Respawning at 100% can't be what's intended considering how the fight starts. And what do you mean 'git gud'. It's a sharp change in an early story quest that I'm assuming is under One Tamriel.

I agree that comment was not helpful and seemed more like it was a jab at you and that they clearly did not read the entire post.

However, I would expect the dragon to respawn at 100% if the player died. The issue is the fight does not totally reset according to what you say. The dragon should be on the roof and the ballista available so you start from scratch. I cannot tell you how I did that fight because I did not find it terribly difficult to figure out on the spot. Maybe watch some videos but you may have to reset it for now.

Going forward though, this is a clear sign more people need to test out on the PTS . OP is on PC so can help test things out in future PTS cycles.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely found and reported that bug
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This isn't a bug.. when hes on the rooftop he has something like 14 million HP, when hes shot down he has a few 100k (300k'ish?) but the health bar fills up to 100% as if that is his new max health amount. I did die on this fight to see what happened, but the only weird thing that it did to me was he stopped taking damage at around 2.2k health remaining like the bar was out of sync because he didn't refill to full health when I died.

Regardless he still died on a fresh lvl 8 character with some pickup gear and no CP applied...
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on May 24, 2019 4:08PM
    love is love
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

1000+ dps?

How much "gudder" do I need to be?

'4 digit dps' means <10k
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but those builds online are, maybe try them?
  • reidbaker
    reidbaker

That's like half of a solution. Again, dying and not having the required mechanic reset is a problem. And it's made worse by requiring a manual reset new players may not be aware of while burning through soul shards AND requires you to redo the whole instance.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's like half of a solution. Again, dying and not having the required mechanic reset is a problem. And it's made worse by requiring a manual reset new players may not be aware of while burning through soul shards AND requires you to redo the whole instance.

As I pointed out earlier that they clearly did not read the entire post and seem more just trying to take a jab at you.

I hope you created a ticket on this to get Zos' attention. @ZOS_BillE might be able to pass this on to them but a ticket is always best.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm not sure how this got through testing - but on the Battle For Riverhold, once you knock the dragon with the ballista, if you die (pretty easy to do for an early story quest) - he respawns at 100% in the arena with NO ballista. How the hell? AND it's at the end of an instance you have to do entirely again if you want another legitimate crack at him.

Am I missing something? This is remarkably frustrating for such an early story quest. You die, you have to redo the entire instance again (and manually exit to retry)... soulstones are useless.

So I'm not sure how this got through testing
    Just guess, you don't need to be sure.
    Am I missing something?
    Nope.

What ballista?
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've yet to encounter this, if there is a proper workaround, I'll post it up.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • zabeebleb14_ESO
    zabeebleb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    If this is the developers idea of a good quest mechanic - to give the player a way to knock a dragon almost down to nothing, make it so it can kill you in one or two attacks, then require you to ABANDON THE QUEST to even have a chance to finish it because the dragon just suddenly threw a massive spell that completely healed the damage that brought him down in the first place - then not only is it the MOST STUPID idea I've seen in gaming history but also the lamest example of mental fortitude in the field. Bravo! They've really outdone themselves this time. Really, are they getting that lazy in the game design business? It makes me worry for the future of gaming... even more than I was already.
  • Syb_ill
    Syb_ill
    I had this issue as well. I abandoned the quest and had to start the whole thing over for it to happen again. I mean that dude immediately healed back most of his hp before I got maybe 4 hits on him. Leaving the zone and coming back did not restart the instance. BUT someone in my guild offered to help and groupes up with me. When I reentered the instance with the group formed it restarted the instance luckily. The dragon still healed almost immediately, but with the two of us (him being a higher level toon with cp he carried me to be fair) we were able to kill the damn thing.

So, the only fix I found to restart the instance is to get a buddy. It will restart the instance from the beginning though, so you will have to run to the temple and all the shrines again first before you get to the dragon, but it's a lot better than redoing the entire quest.
  • lonesail
    lonesail
    Soul Shriven
    I'm experiencing the same issue. Opened a ticket for it, because 1) Dragon shouldn't have 100% immunity at low health and 2) Resetting the dragon to 100% health when the encounter is clearly meant for just 1% health fight isn't right.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you shoot him he lands with a smidgin of health, but then you hit him a few times and his health fills back up anyway. So I don’t see what the difference is. You still have to wear him down from full health.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Syb_ill
    Syb_ill
    When you shoot him he lands with a smidgin of health, but then you hit him a few times and his health fills back up anyway. So I don’t see what the difference is. You still have to wear him down from full health.

I've watched videos of other players where he does not heal. I don't think this is supposed to happen.
  • Embraer
    Embraer
    Soul Shriven
    I just killed the dragon as a level 10 Necro (solo). I kept dying because I kept leaving the "arena" and the Dragon would keep porting me back to him.
    DON"T LEAVE THE ARENA, stay kinda close. Block what you can and heal when you can. Steady damage works, just stay close