Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player, have some general questions

user0666
user0666
I played ESO for a month on PC back when it was first released but didn't have time to play it beyond level 15 due to working two jobs. I'm back to one job so I finally got time and then I couldn't decide if I wanted to do console or PC. I tried console first on an xbox one I had and was reminded quickly why I prefer playing elder scrolls games on PC(just little things like keyboard/mouse option and mods and yes I know you cant do mods on ESO cuz it's an MMO). I didn't really learn how to play the game on xbox because I was just exploring to see what the console version of this game was like, and decided I prefer PC so I took a break from it.

Anyway, when I finally got around to getting the PC version, I didn't see an option for the original game and just purchased another version of ESO that started my character off in Morrowind which was awesome! I'm about to be level 14 and now I've played it long enough to ask some intelligent questions, lol. And to help answer my questions, YES i do have ESO plus.

1. One day, I was trying to use the jewelry table and got a message saying that I need the Summerset expansion. I logged in yesterday to try to find the expansion in the crown store and couldn't find it...but for some reason I'm able to craft jewelry now. Did I somehow purchase that expansion without knowing? lol. I did do a lot of fiddling around in the crown store to see what's there, got a pet and a mount and some crown points but that's all I remember getting.

2. How do i start the original storyline that I started to play back when ESO first came out? It's the one that involved portals opening up in the sky with anchors smashing into the ground, connected to chains that helped keep the portals opened.

3. If I can start the original story line, will I lose my inventory? If no, does that mean I'll wake up in a dungeon cell in that realm with my armor on along with my weapons and inventory?

4. I got a 5TB HDD that I keep ESO stored on. I have a 500GB M.2 drive in my PC as well but that's just where I store my operationg system and am saving the rest of the storage space for a CAD program when I start engineering school this fall. Is there any reason I want to reinstall ESO onto my M.2 drive? (I'm using a PC to play ESO that I built to be a CAD workstation for school. Just playing ESO to kill time until I can start school this fall)

5. I noticed that I can't enchant my armor but I can enchant my weapons. Am I correct to understand that the reason some glyffs won't work on my armor is because they're level specific? If so, how do I create higher level glyffs?

6. You know how in Skyrim and other elder scrolls games that no matter your character, you can still learn spells that has nothing to do with your class, and even create spells from scratch? Can I do that in ESO? If so, how?

7. I noticed that my action bar is limited and that I can customize what actions to assign to the bar(keys 1-5 plus an R key). I have a mouse with number buttons on the side that I got for ESO. Is there a way to have a bigger action bar or am I really stuck with only keys 1-5 and an R key? Also, what's the R key for anyway?

8. When it comes to honing stones, I know how to get them through deconstructing items or randomly finding them throughout the game. I need like a ton of them. Is there a way I can get a lot of them somewhere or am I stuck with just doing what I'm already doing to get them? Also, same question regarding dwarven oil.

Thanks in advance to any answers to these questions.

• Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    user0666 wrote: »
    1. One day, I was trying to use the jewelry table and got a message saying that I need the Summerset expansion. I logged in yesterday to try to find the expansion in the crown store and couldn't find it...but for some reason I'm able to craft jewelry now. Did I somehow purchase that expansion without knowing? lol. I did do a lot of fiddling around in the crown store to see what's there, got a pet and a mount and some crown points but that's all I remember getting.
    Not sure about that. Summerset is available in the DLC tab of the Crown Store now, though. Do you maybe have ESO+? If so, that's the reason - ESO+ gives you access to all DLC, and Summerset is a DLC now.
    2. How do i start the original storyline that I started to play back when ESO first came out? It's the one that involved portals opening up in the sky with anchors smashing into the ground, connected to chains that helped keep the portals opened.

3. If I can start the original story line, will I lose my inventory? If no, does that mean I'll wake up in a dungeon cell in that realm with my armor on along with my weapons and inventory?
    Go to the starting town of your alliance (Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, Daggerfall). There should be a "hooded figure" or something like that giving you the quest.
    Yes, you get to keep all your stuff and abilities.
    5. I noticed that I can't enchant my armor but I can enchant my weapons. Am I correct to understand that the reason some glyffs won't work on my armor is because they're level specific? If so, how do I create higher level glyffs?
    It depends on the type of glyphs, more precisely the combination of Potency and Essence runes. Some combinations work only on weapons, some only on armour, some only on jewelry. (Raise Stamina is an armour glyph, Lower Stamina is a weapon glyph, for instance.)
    6. You know how in Skyrim and other elder scrolls games that no matter your character, you can still learn spells that has nothing to do with your class, and even create spells from scratch? Can I do that in ESO? If so, how?
    ESO is class-based. There are a lot of skill lines that are independent of class, though, like weapon skills, certain guild skill lines (Mages, Fighters, etc.) You can only learn things from skill lines, there are no "spells" in that sense.
    7. I noticed that my action bar is limited and that I can customize what actions to assign to the bar(keys 1-5 plus an R key). I have a mouse with number buttons on the side that I got for ESO. Is there a way to have a bigger action bar or am I really stuck with only keys 1-5 and an R key? Also, what's the R key for anyway?
    No, only 5 abilities plus R. At level 12 (or 15?), you get the ability to bar-swap, i.e. access to a second row of skills (and the ability to have a second weapon that you can swap to.)
    R is for "ultimate" abilities, the first one in a skill tree. They consume a special resource (Ultimate) that you get by fighting (mostly).
    8. When it comes to honing stones, I know how to get them through deconstructing items or randomly finding them throughout the game. I need like a ton of them. Is there a way I can get a lot of them somewhere or am I stuck with just doing what I'm already doing to get them? Also, same question regarding dwarven oil.
    Buying from guild traders if you have money. (Probably not. :) ) Or put points in the crafting passives Metal / Wood Extraction / Unraveling and refine materials like iron ore into ingots. You have a (decent, with the passives) chance to get these things from doing that.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    what he (she? can't tell from the name) said

weapon swap is at 15. That means there is a button on the left of number 1 on the keyboard : ` / ~ . Hit that button (don't shift) and you will see your bar change from 1 to 2. Note - you Must have a second weapon equipped in that second slot. You still use the numbers 1 - 5 and R. This just gives you options to access different skills quickly.

You do not have to use the same type of weapons on each line. Can have two swords on 1 and a restro staff on 2 if you want. Or Bow on 1 and 2Hand weapon on 2. Can go both the same if you want. Can also use some of the same skills on both bars if you want.

Pretty much, do what you want

• user0666
    user0666
    awesome, thanks! That answered all my questions.

I just have one more regarding enchanting armor.

I tend to enchant one piece of armor with "health regen" and another piece of armor that 'adds health'. But if I were to enchant more than one piece of equipped armor with the same enchantment, will the enchantments stack or will I be waisting glyffs?
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It will not work at all.

You have to put stats to armor pieces, regen enchantments are for jewelry. Well, there are more defensive and offensive enchantments you can add to your gear, overall 3 to jewelry, 7 to armor and 1/2 to weapons.

And all stack. You can't add more glyphs to items, since you would simply overenchant your piece. However, all 11/12 enchantments count independently, as all set effects will stack.

Only named blessings are not stackable. These are usually called "Something of Something/Someone" or "Minor/Major Whatever". To clarify: You can't stack two of the same name. As long as their names differ, blessings and effects stack.
    Edited by Salvas_Aren on May 22, 2019 12:15AM