The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which class is better for solo player? Stamden or Stamblade?

JohnKato
JohnKato
✭✭
I am deciding between stamden or stamblade. Which will be better for soloing content, including vet dungeons, general play, pvp? And which of those two classes you find more comfortable to play?
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are good. I'd say the difference lies in how you play.

If you like using support skills, the Stamden has access to some excellent support skills. Wardens also tend to be more sturdy as a result of their frost skills.
    If you like straight damage/leeching and debuffs then the stamblade might be your cup of tea. Just be aware that nightblades get their utility later, and its hard to sustain without Syphoning Strikes (in my opinion).
  • JohnKato
    JohnKato
    ✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »

If you like using support skills, the Stamden has access to some excellent support skills. Wardens also tend to be more sturdy as a result of their frost skills.
    If you like straight damage/leeching and debuffs then the stamblade might be your cup of tea. Just be aware that nightblades get their utility later, and its hard to sustain without Syphoning Strikes (in my opinion).

What about rotation then, I heard that stamblades have a very difficult one? Is stamdens easier?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnKato wrote: »
    Bradyfjord wrote: »

What about rotation then, I heard that stamblades have a very difficult one? Is stamdens easier?

I would say stamden is easier, but not wildly easier. Both are unique to their class because they have a class skill that merits building a rotation around.

Sub Assault, boils down to a lot of bar swapping. It's a very short duration, so you need to cast it a lot, but it's pretty straight forward to use. It can essentially be treated like any other DOT/Buff, just much shorter than average.

Relentless Focus has a little more going on, and also requires that your weave be very on point in order to be effective. It basically a long duration buff and a proc type skill rolled into one.

In a perfect world you basically cast three skills between each sub asault, and 4 skills between each cast of relentless, which might make stamblade actually seem a bit easier, but because there are conditions to the stamblade procs (5 light attacks), you have to monitor it a little more closely as you might not always satisfy them, or you might need to actually recast the buff.

In PVP, I would say stamblade is a little stronger open world 1vX, and stamden is a lot stronger in group play.

In PVE, both will pull more DPS than you will ever need in group content. Wardens have a bit better utility and healing, so they would probably be my recommendation for a solo build.

That said, I dont think either hold a candle from the PVE side of things to stam sorc, if soloing content is your goal. For example, Stam Sorcs are certainly the easiest stamina class to complete VMA. We can debate about who is in second place, but they are definitely pretty far in the review mirror.
  • Taloros
    Taloros
    ✭✭✭✭
    For soloing group content, the stamden is clearly better imho. The bear can tank for you, and the stamden has superior self-healing, self-buff and sustain skills.

Stamblade is, in my experience, actually the class least suited to solo group content with, at least without using unsual gear/skill setups.
    Edited by Taloros on May 17, 2019 3:53AM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about PvP, stamblade by a wide margin simply because of cloak.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In most situations stamden
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about PvP, stamblade by a wide margin simply because of cloak.
    Cloak is a terrible example for why you think stamblade better in pvp absolutely everyone running something that breaks cloak aoes detect pots mage light camo hunter etc
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only play stamblade my honest opinion of course stamblade strong damage good sustain fun to play and if used properly around trees or any line of sight you got cloak don’t listen to the noobs that say cloak op because if you got 20 players trying to kill you cloak will not save you pvp perspectives but I do well in pve as well.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 17, 2019 10:01AM
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played a lot of warden but I think it's the answer here. That said, Stamsorc are just the best in my totally biased opinion when it comes to soloing things. Purely because of crit surge.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thinking I know I said stamblade that’s just what I believe because it’s my class it actually depends on you as a player and how you like to fight 👍
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i was to rephrase the question what solo class is for a better player, id say stam nb.

A few of those gods exist and you would scratch your head of the things they are capable of doing! No stam warden has ever done anything like that.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak is a terrible example for why you think stamblade better in pvp absolutely everyone running something that breaks cloak aoes detect pots mage light camo hunter etc

There is a reason many people carry/slot a counter cloak. It's because it's the single most powerful open world tool in Cyrodiil, period. Name one other skill that merits "everyone" building a specific counter into their builds. That's how freaking OP it is. Also, certainly not everyone does one of the above, and none of those methods are 100% effective.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There is a reason many people carry/slot a counter cloak. It's because it's the single most powerful open world tool in Cyrodiil, period. Name one other skill that merits "everyone" building a specific counter into their builds. That's how freaking OP it is. Also, certainly not everyone does one of the above, and none of those methods are 100% effective.

Streak. The reason people don’t build for counters is there isn’t a counter.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamden, definitely.
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cloak.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but...but...StamDK just might be rising from the ashes..... ;)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

It’s called a gap closer. Is this a joke? Most sorcs would trade streak and probably their left arm for cloak.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cloak has counters shields do not nor does breath of life 😎
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use detect pot and I have no problems at all bringing down a stamblade even have a video of my killing 3 stamblades 1 stamplar all max cp 😎
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cloak has counters shields do not nor does breath of life 😎

All classes have access to a shield, and there are even specific sets designed to attack shields. NBs will also have a specific counter to shield with a silence attached to a low cost ultimate here in a few weeks. More broadly, you counter shields with good pressure. BOL is a burst heal. The counter to a burst heal is burst damage.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 17, 2019 9:19PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It’s called a gap closer. Is this a joke? Most sorcs would trade streak and probably their left arm for cloak.

Please, if that’s true why are you a sorc? Because you like pets?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this turn into NB vs Sorc again? Could those 2 classes mains please get a room?

As for OP. NB will be easier to be annoying. Stamden will be easier to be effective toward group play. If you start going solo, NB will shine against soft targets if you are lucky to pick them out until you start to figure out how to spot them, but you wont be wrecking decent /mid level players for quite a while. There are a lot if tools for NB to master. Warden is all about lining up shalks and surviving to your next burst. If you already play a brawler; its pretty easy once you learn how to land the combo.

All subject to change when warden gets their 1 trick made blockable, and NBs oddly become better than they are now at brawling and if there are more NBs slotting mark; cloak style glass cannons will struggle
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Really, a terrible example? I also main a stamblade. Yes, cloak has counters, but if you're solo in pvp, it's tough to beat the escapability of cloak and dodge roll. You can choose your engagements with ease like no other class can. You can hide in keeps or gank people. Thanks for being condescending unnecessarily though.
    Edited by oXI_Viper_IXo on May 17, 2019 10:23PM
  • Xogath
    Xogath
    ✭✭✭
    As a person who mained a Stamblade until recently (StamDK), I'm going to say that it's possible on any class.. but some have it easier than others.

Example: after acquiring Vigor on my StamDK, I was able to solo most World Bosses I came across while leveling. Died against those handful that have numerous NPCs you have to kill, but it's still possible to do it.

I did the same on my Nightblade, but at that time (pre-OT WB buff) it wasn't quite as hard. Still able to do so on my NB today, but requires Vigor and absolutely destroying my target to not die.

Wardens, though.. I would say they have an easier time based on two things:

1. Better utility as outlined by others here. (I still haven't rolled a Stamden but may yet.)
    2. There's a set that drops in vMA, "The Hunt", which can heal you and restore Stamina every.. 5? seconds when you attack a target that your pet has attacked in the last 5 seconds.

On my Stamblade, the tooltip amounts for the heal and resource return is quite high for an item set, and if you farmed the whole set from vMA I would say it woulf make the ultimate solo farming set for survivability.. if it works with the bear.

If you're good enough, you may even be able to solo some easier Vet Dungeons using that set.. but, I'm unsure. At the very least all normal dungeons (except maybe some DLC dungeons and those with multi-player mechanics) would be fodder for you.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really, a terrible example? I also main a stamblade. Yes, cloak has counters, but if you're solo in pvp, it's tough to beat the escapability of cloak and dodge roll. You can choose your engagements with ease like no other class can. You can hide in keeps or gank people. Thanks for being condescending unnecessarily though.
    I play stamblade solo 100% of the time and if you think cloak is broken you either don’t know what your talking about or your inexperienced with solo play and just follow 20 players around all day. This player was asking for advice telling him stamblade op because of cloak will not help against a good templar for example which by the way main spammable an aoe jabs and when his fighting a good player or outnumbered against aoes I don’t believe you main a stamblade.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 18, 2019 12:55AM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I play stamblade solo 100% of the time and if you think cloak is broken you either don’t know what your talking about or your inexperienced with solo play and just follow 20 players around all day. This player was asking for advice telling him stamblade op because of cloak will not help against a good templar for example which by the way main spammable an aoe jabs and when his fighting a good player or outnumbered against aoes I don’t believe you main a stamblade.

Believe what you wish, my main is a 5-star stamblade. I never said cloak was OP or broken so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, I'm simply saying it's extremely useful in open-world PvP.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe what you wish, my main is a 5-star stamblade. I never said cloak was OP or broken so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, I'm simply saying it's extremely useful in open-world PvP.
    That I agree with I thought you was hating on the class cloak is strong when you use it with line of sight that was my point.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, if that’s true why are you a sorc? Because you like pets?

I dont consider myself a sorc or any class for that matter. I have 3 of each, and fully admit that I will chase the meta, especially in PVE. My highest AP rank is a sorc, but second and third are my mag and stamblade (4th I think is mag DK, although stamden might have passed it recently).

In PVE, my first main was a stamblade, and have frankly spent most of my time in the last few years split fairly evenly between mSorc and Mageblade when it comes to trial DPS.

I am simply trying to be objective in my analysis, as someone who has played every class spec in this game since beta. Based on that, I fully believe that cloak is the most powerful tool in cyrodiil for open world type play. You also dont here me calling for a nerf, as it does have counters. 4 years ago, streak was certainly more powerful than cloak, but it's just not the case any more. Streak has a lot of functionality problems, and gap closers nullify it almost completely. I stand by what I said. If my mag sorc could slot cloak over streak, it wouldnt even be thought. It's a better skill. I would also trade my shield for cloak because in light armor, I have a non-class option that is nearly as good.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Streak has its own counter built into the skill.