The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why do Sorcerer Pets Ignore Spell Damage Bonuses?

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I am surprised that Update 22 has thus far passed over Sorcerer pets without changing them to also scale off spell damage. It seems like a logical change so there must be something I am missing. What is the deal? Why don't Sorcerer pets get spell damage bonuses?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because that is the way ZOS made the game?
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a conscious design descision by the devs in order to encourage sorc build diversity. The idea is basically to make different gear attractive to different playstyles.
    Considering the current powerlevel of pets they also dont seem to suffer from this design. They are very powerful in builds designed for pet use, but less potent in builds that focus on other stats. A change to make pets scale from both spelldamage and magicka would simply mean to shift the power to make them perform equally in both kinds of builds.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We know that already. But why? ZOS spent part of this update making sure skills follow certain rules, and pointing out when a skill is purposely breaking a rule. So what's the deal with skills that don't scale off attribute + spell/weapon damage? This seems like the update to provide clarity on this.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We know that already. But why? ZOS spent part of this update making sure skills follow certain rules, and pointing out when a skill is purposely breaking a rule. So what's the deal with skills that don't scale off attribute + spell/weapon damage? This seems like the update to provide clarity on this.

Why? Because that is what they decided. Simple.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ah, gotcha. We should just unquestionably accept what ZOS does without asking questions. Great reasoning, especially in the PTS section. Thanks.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahzek wrote: »
    It is a conscious design descision by the devs in order to encourage sorc build diversity. The idea is basically to make different gear attractive to different playstyles.
    Considering the current powerlevel of pets they also dont seem to suffer from this design. They are very powerful in builds designed for pet use, but less potent in builds that focus on other stats. A change to make pets scale from both spelldamage and magicka would simply mean to shift the power to make them perform equally in both kinds of builds.

Seems like a curious decision that pushes magicka Sorcerers in one of two ways (pets vs. no pets), without much encouragement for a middle ground.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [ZOS spent part of this update making sure skills follow certain rules, and pointing out when a skill is purposely breaking a rule. So what's the deal with skills that don't scale off attribute + spell/weapon damage?
    Good question. I would like to know the answer too.
    Indeed, you seem to be a simple guy without need for questions.
    However, for the rest of us, this game is not a religion,
    and we would like to understand the rules and reasoning behind it.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [ZOS spent part of this update making sure skills follow certain rules, and pointing out when a skill is purposely breaking a rule. So what's the deal with skills that don't scale off attribute + spell/weapon damage?

You guys asking why are asking the wrong questions. What was ZoSs thought process is a much better question, how does ZoS think it is all right that pets sclae the way they so. Who made the decision to scale them like that? Where in the statements zos has made does it say that pets scaling the way they do is intended. Why is such a basic question, really useless. Like my answers.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Seems like a curious decision that pushes magicka Sorcerers in one of two ways (pets vs. no pets), without much encouragement for a middle ground.

The middle ground is splitting investment between max magicka and spell damage.

You have the answer. Disagreeing with it is of course fine and questions are welcome, but the person you quoted gave the answer I would have.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To encourage build diversity so there isn't a cookie cutter build with the same sets for any skill build.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys asking why are asking the wrong questions. What was ZoSs thought process is a much better question, how does ZoS think it is all right that pets sclae the way they so. Who made the decision to scale them like that? Where in the statements zos has made does it say that pets scaling the way they do is intended. Why is such a basic question, really useless. Like my answers.

Why don't Sorcerer pets get spell damage bonuses?

He is asking where this stems from so it really doesn't matter if the devs input on this is blatantly said, it can be implied.

He might not know if it's a desicion on build diversity, a balance, a tradeoff, a bug, an exploit.

It's like saying "who made the decision to make pets targetable in BGs", "what was ZoS thought process of making the storm atronach stationary", this implies the OP had some sort of information which he clearly does not and people in forums don't like it when others assume, it looks like a QQ thread.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    To encourage build diversity so there isn't a cookie cutter build with the same sets for any skill build.

Nah. It is just to keep pets meh. The average player has around 7000 effective spell damage in CP. You cannot get magicka to those levels alone, so it caps sorc pets at around 5600-6000 effective spell damage. I'm not sure how other pets, like Maw of internal, scale.

If they wanted to encourage build diversity they would scale with magicka/spell damage to open up more than the limited number of sets for pet sorcs, and have stamina morphs of the pets. Right now pets sorcs have almost no build diversity.
    Edited by katorga on April 23, 2019 3:37PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to think that original design for pets was a flavor-based one--i.e. they conciously decided that max magicka reflects your potential to summon, so they scale off of that rather than your overall casting ability (damage, regens, etc). And because daedra are their own thing, they don't (well, didn't) inherit other modifiers (pen, crit, etc.--not sure what has actually been adjusted and what hasn't).

But actually I don't think anyone knows why. Smart money is on accident/spaghetti code.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily think there is a middle ground between these two things. Either you are running a pet or you are not. Unless you are considering the difference between 0 Pets, 1 Pet and 2 Pet builds, then there could be some middle ground discussion.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a strange way, it opens build diversity for Sorcerers and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    This also means that all other classes, who have summons that scale with all stats, will be a bit more endgame friendly in proportion. Necromancer pets all scale with spell damage and magicka and spell damage stacking is the meta in pve. So they are definately more feasable for pve than Sorcerer pets. Not to mention that Sorcerer pets are the only normal pets that can be targeted or attacked. All other class summons are immortal and untouchable.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.