The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Are others seeing problem with Winter Festival Hearthfire?

Alinhbo_Tyaka
Alinhbo_Tyaka
✭✭✭✭✭
I've opened a bug report.
When I went to use the fire today as a provisioning station, first time after the update, I could not get the press E to use prompt. When I go into the housing editor it will no longer turn green when aligned to the bottom of the Winter Festival Fireplace. It only works if I align it to the house floor which makes it invisible if moved to the fireplace. So is anyone else is having problems with the Winter Festival Hearthfire since Update 21?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll be interested to hear this as well (I'm on console).

It's possible that whatever fix they introduced so that crafting stations will work at guild halls has somehow borked up this particular provisioning station.

Are you having any problems with any other crafting station? Are you using any housing add-ons? I know there have been some issues with add-ons due to the database update they implemented with this patch.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My regular crafting stations work and have always worked just fine but they are also on solid floors. I don't use any game add-ons.

My thought is the fireplace use to have an attribute like the floors or table tops that noted it as a solid surface that somehow got lost with the database update. I was just curious if anyone else was having the same problem or if not maybe we could compare setups to see what's different.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've just checked two of mine and they seem to be working.

One of them is in the Winter Festival Fireplace and the other is in the Alinor Fireplace.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was using mine just last night, and have not moved it since before the update.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something in the update changed the way items interact with walls and/or floors as my problem started the first time I tried to use the fireplace after it went live. I had never had a problem in the months it was setup before this. This is in the Velothi Reverie house and appears to be related to the base board/wall/fireplace/hearthfire intersections.

I've done some playing around and got it working again by moving the fireplace further from the wall but that doesn't look good with the wide gap. I was able to close the gap some and it worked until I left the house to do some other stuff and stopped again when I returned. I've always had to leave a tiny unnoticeable gap so the base board doesn't intrude into the fireplace box. Is was also far enough away from the wall that the wall didn't deactivate the interactive feature of the hearthfire. Since the update it appears the hit box of the wall has changed and is larger than it use to be. This results in the it intruding into the firebox and disabling the interactive feature of the hearthfire (positioned to middles of firebox).

So I've gotten it working but it doesn't look as good as it did prior to the change. It is bad as the WF Hearth is the only fireplace available that I think fits well with the Dark elf house style. I'm not sure what I will do long term but will likely have to find some furnishings to disguise the larger gap.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting something to work then having it stop just gives me the niggles so I went back and retraced my steps from when I tried to get the hearthfire working again. It turns out it was collisions between multiple interactive objects. I had always had a stool in front of the fireplace. In the effort to get the fireplace working again after the update I move everything away from the fireplace. Once I had it working I put everything back in their original location. I never retested to be sure the fireplace still worked. It appears the size of the hit box or coordinates changed slightly with the update. I have since moved the stool further away from the fireplace and everything is working correctly with the fireplace back close to the wall again.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you were able to get it working again! I have found that placing certain items next to the basic provisioning station would sometimes stop it from working, depending on how close they were.

It's possible that whatever they did to fix the problem with crafting stations involved updating their collision. Maybe ensuring that other objects can't be as close as before and thus interfere with the use of the station. I never had a problem with any station in my own homes, but I only have the basic ones. I did experience the problem of unusable crafting stations at my guildhalls. One GH managed to get them to work for everyone by placing them all on solid ground closer to the entrance of the grotto (and off of the nice platform he had built where they were all nicely arranged). I'm hoping that this update does indeed fix that problem, but perhaps stations will need to be moved or other objects around them rearranged.