The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do You Like Whilst Slotted Bonus On Active Skills?

Turelus
Turelus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Simple poll to see what people think about the active skills in the game which have a whilst slotted bonus.

These are the skills where the active skill itself (not a passive in the skill line) grants you a passive bonus just for it being on your bar.

Examples
Inner Light (Mage Light) which has very little active use for players but is used in almost all magicka builds just because of the max magicka bonus and major prophecy.
Flawless Dawnbreaker which grants 4% weapon damage whilst slotted (although this skill has an active use).

Personally these skills have always bugged me because I've felt the passive effects of skills should come from the passives for slotting any skill in that line, rather than having redundant abilities on your bar for passive effects (Inner Light is very much a culprit in this regard).
The Destruction staff passives have done well in this regard, you need to consider having a destruction skill on both bars to gain the bonus for the staff, but generally players take active skills they use rather that putting one on a bar and ignoring it's there.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
"Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."

Do You Like Whilst Slotted Bonus On Active Skills? 114 votes

Yes, I like them and want them to remain in the game.
34%
flintstoneStxLightspeedflashb14_ESOWuffyCeruleiJoker99technohicdrallarHidesFromSunmitebaWitchyWarriorSteelshivThe UninvitedGrumpyDucklingsusmitdsYamensteinCaim12NarvuntienNevascaVapirkomoonpawc 39 votes
No, I would rather all abilities on my bar be there to be used.
56%
MojmiritsfatbassTurelusSkayaqLordTareqKaradimSodanTokNarthalionCheloAektannUntrustedExistenzfalcasternub18_ESOElsonsoleeuxninjaguymanDDemonZordrageAionnaShadowMole25Vaoh 64 votes
Other, I have another opinion on this.
9%
DeadlyRecluseNebthet78Asha_11_ESOkojouSugaComaKadointhedude33Farscape76Ragnarock41ESO_NightingaleUryel 11 votes
  • HidesFromSun
    HidesFromSun
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops, I meant to select No /derp :D
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let the passives be passive

like that 10% crit chance just comes with your mages guild lv10

of course it will require some adjustment and balancing

but we are allready limited to 12 skills

limiting it further (aka slotting skills for passives/skill line passives)

just reminds me 1 button mashing in diablo =P
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really but i prefer to have that additional passive than seeing it removed
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let the passives be passive

like that 10% crit chance just comes with your mages guild lv10

of course it will require some adjustment and balancing

but we are allready limited to 12 skills

limiting it further (aka slotting skills for passives/skill line passives)

just reminds me 1 button mashing in diablo =P
    See for the Major Prophecy buff I would personally move that to "whilst any mage guild skill is slotted", this means you could still passive magelight if you wanted, but could also try and find ways to add the active skills (which are rarely used) into builds.

I'd personally do away with the bonus magicka from it entirely, we have enough sources of max stats and the CP rebalance now.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough bar space for me to say like them. Sure though might use some of them for that reason but rather have active and passive abilities with skills.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Simple poll to see what people think about the active skills in the game which have a whilst slotted bonus.

These are the skills where the active skill itself (not a passive in the skill line) grants you a passive bonus just for it being on your bar.

Examples
    Inner Light (Mage Light) which has very little active use for players but is used in almost all magicka builds just because of the max magicka bonus and major prophecy.
    Flawless Dawnbreaker which grants 4% weapon damage whilst slotted (although this skill has an active use).

Personally these skills have always bugged me because I've felt the passive effects of skills should come from the passives for slotting any skill in that line, rather than having redundant abilities on your bar for passive effects (Inner Light is very much a culprit in this regard).
    The Destruction staff passives have done well in this regard, you need to consider having a destruction skill on both bars to gain the bonus for the staff, but generally players take active skills they use rather that putting one on a bar and ignoring it's there.

I like that some skills have slotted effect! however i think there are too many. For example Magicka Warden just has too many and it's very restricting. I'm very glad to see this change come through on PTS where we no longer need a destruction staff skill slotted to use ancient knowledge. falcons swiftness changes made this problem worse and they also made the skill only useful for the berserk slot.

We NEED to have animal companions skills slotted. We need to have bird of prey specifically slotted on the front bar. Same as Inner Light. Bear steals two ultimate slots. Northern Storm is also a passive slotter too and it's very jarring to use if you slot it on only your frontbar which is where you benefit most. we shouldn't need to double slot both our DPS ultimates.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you literally have a choice to not slot them. if you dont want them, dont slot them.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the simplest rotations.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to see OPTIONAL toggles for skills that it would make sense to be able to toggle (like Lotus Flower).
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    you literally have a choice to not slot them. if you dont want them, dont slot them.
    I think you're missing the point of the conversation.
    I like the simplest rotations.
    There is nothing to say if the passive effect was moved to the passive skills of a skill line (with requirement a any skill from that line slotted) you would have to make use of an active ability.

Although granted there would likely be changes in rotations to accommodate the fact you could add a new active skill in some cases.
    Edited by Turelus on February 7, 2019 3:59PM
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    Just rework some of that abilities, for example add aoe dmg to inner light and it will be great skill with stealth detection.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like abilities providing passive buffs to me (example: absorb magic, flames of oblivion), but that doesn't change the fact that some of those abilities are just way too weak for what they do, some of them really could use a rework.

Absorb magic is an all around good example of what I would want from a passive ability. Its a good ability to pop before entering a fight, and you can one bar it to get the benefit of improved blocking.

Flames of oblivion for example is shared by stam and magDK, but its kind of a meh ability , would not be slotted if not for the crit buff it provides.(and also the noxious breath is pretty bad for stamDk, pushing stamDks to use this instead)

Expert hunter from fighters guild is also an ability that not only has a bad active, its so bad it actually hurts you for using it accidentally. And even you use it for its actual purpose (revealing the invisible) , its still much better to use some other aoe.

So for the case of FoO, the skill is in a place where its existance fills a purpose and is tolerable, but for the expert hunter I would say rework it completely to have an actual active use.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 7, 2019 6:11PM
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "while slotted" thing is a nice bonus, provided the skill itself is useful.

A fantastic exemple of how NOT to do it is the Warden's "Bird of prey". While slotted, gain minor berserk, incresing all damage by 8%. Active skill : move faster for 4 seconds and slightly increase your stam regen. I have yet to find a situation where the active effect has any use, and I have THREE Wardens : a magicka DD / healer, a magicka tank and a stamina DD.

So, the skill is slotted on two of them, and never used. Considering we have only 5 skills on a bar, it's a waste of space, but the passive is good enough to warrant it.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a passive slots bar where you have to place the passives that are important to your build and only those are active... something like The Secret World does (or used to do, not sure in the new version,) and then let abilities in the skill bar just be active abilities.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    The "while slotted" thing is a nice bonus, provided the skill itself is useful.

A fantastic exemple of how NOT to do it is the Warden's "Bird of prey". While slotted, gain minor berserk, incresing all damage by 8%. Active skill : move faster for 4 seconds and slightly increase your stam regen. I have yet to find a situation where the active effect has any use, and I have THREE Wardens : a magicka DD / healer, a magicka tank and a stamina DD.

So, the skill is slotted on two of them, and never used. Considering we have only 5 skills on a bar, it's a waste of space, but the passive is good enough to warrant it.

Um. Its best in slot for mat farming :P
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate it. Those skills are so useless. At least give them a permanent animation when I have to slot them but now, all of that has been removed. Magelight, Daedric Armour & Co. had great animations, there was no point in removing them but keeping the lame ass passive bonuses.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't like them. Bar space is limited enough as is.
    PC/EU DC
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead let it be a skill/class/race/weapon/armor
    passive.

• Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    I'd rather have a passive slots bar where you have to place the passives that are important to your build and only those are active... something like The Secret World does (or used to do, not sure in the new version,) and then let abilities in the skill bar just be active abilities.

Used to. Don't even bother trying the new version if you liked the old one, you'll only be disapointed. Basically, the new version is the Murkmire Combat "Balance" Patch of TSW, except that it did that tenfold.

Now, a bar with passive upgrades that you can chose from and a bar of active skills... Now that would be great. TSW did so many things right in the combat department that I can't even begin to fathom why they changed it.

Oh, right. The cohorts of ranting dimwits who thought it was too complicated. Chosing 8 passives and 8 actives from 150+ skills, mix-matching them to create something original and deadly AF... Too complicated. People don't know the difference between complex and complicated. The former requires thought, the later is a mess. Kids those days. That's why we can't have nice things.

And that's why we won't have that here in ESO either. Having to consider actives and passives separately ? The crowd would riot.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »

Used to. Don't even bother trying the new version if you liked the old one, you'll only be disapointed. Basically, the new version is the Murkmire Combat "Balance" Patch of TSW, except that it did that tenfold.

Bummer :'( Sad to hear that...

I wasn't able to play the old version myself tbh, but I was interested in it at one point, so I did some research on it... really liked the game and quests, from what I saw at that time!
    Edited by leeux on February 8, 2019 1:42AM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings on this one. Passives from slotted skills can be helpful to newer players, or those that can’t master a complicated rotation. Pet Sorc is a great example of this, since the rotation gets pretty simple once you’re down to a few active skills (typically 4, vs 10 in other builds). It can’t quite compete with fast-paced light attack builds, but that makes sense. 4-ability builds with a lot t of passive skills sure do a lot better than 4-ability builds with no other skills slotted.

On the other hand, these types of passive skills can overly constrain builds. This is most evident on Magicka Nightblades, which need an Assasdination ability of each bar for 10% crit dmg, a siphoning ability for 8% Max Magicka, Inner Light for 7% Max Magicka, a destro ability for more single target dmg, perferably a Shadow ability for 4% health, and ideally a Psijic ability for the shield. This seems excessive. It makes bars very constrained, and everyone ends up running similar setups. Luckily the destro passive will not require an ability slotted next patch.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should be class passives for have X number of class skills on your bar ... Quite often the when slotted is on skill with no real value
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing them would cause severe weaknesses in certain classes. For example, Templar’s would lose precious sustain from losing the passive effect of repentance, and the 8% protection from the Psijic ult has become absolutely necessary on Stam build in PvP, especially medium builds, because of how easy it is to do damage these days. The effects are not OP in any way, and offer flavor to skills.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the class for me.
    e.g. sNb has so many usefull skills i want on my bars that i always have to make tradeoffs. i have 4 slots there for pe and eh (to not use pots), spectral bow thing, trap, vigor, rapids, that thing that restores resources on light and heavy atks and the execute. the slots get filled with what i think i need most on a daily basis.
    other chars, like nonpet-sorc or mwarden i usually end up browsing thru the skills wondering what to put on the last two or three slots.

generally i like things simple. i put point in passive -> my base stats increase. not needlessly overcomplicated as in i hit someone with a light attack and proc crusher, 7th is up but opponent procced bloodspawn, how much dmg does my next hit do after i swap to the bar with dawnbreaker?
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really dont see an issue with the passive boosts certain skills have. I get 10% recovery for having repentance slotted, but it's still an active ability... But that passive recovery plays a part in my choice to slot it.

Every skill has a worth, and you have to choose whether it's worth slotting a skill to give yourself a buff your build might be missing like major prophecy from magelight. Or you could get it from a potion or a different skill possibly.

Bottom line, if you dont like passive abilities, dont use them?
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see an extra skill slot that would be designated for this type of purpose... you could slot it to get a passive bonus, but it would not be something you could not activate.

Granted this would require a rework of these types of skills as it could get unbalanced quickly.
    CP 1200+ Xbox - NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Characters
    Dargo Crichton - VR16/lvl 50 StamDK - Stormproof
    Talon Crichton - lvl 50 Stamsorc
    Kara Crichton - lvl 50 StamDK
    Erza Crichton - lvl 50 MagDK
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Removing them would cause severe weaknesses in certain classes. For example, Templar’s would lose precious sustain from losing the passive effect of repentance, and the 8% protection from the Psijic ult has become absolutely necessary on Stam build in PvP, especially medium builds, because of how easy it is to do damage these days. The effects are not OP in any way, and offer flavor to skills.
    I'm not saying remove them without a balance pass, just curious how much people like the "must slot and not use" skills.
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭

Never played that game, but it does sound useful here. I wish we had such a passive slots bar. I’d like it if it was only for some of the major/minor buffs in game. Cool choices for lots of playstyles. Unique class passives, well, I’d prefer those always working regardless of slotted stuff. I like simplicity.

• Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like them but am forced to use certain ones just for the effect. I would much rather have active skills I can use. For example as a stamsorc I need to slot bound armaments front bar and atro backbar for the passive, so a wasted skill slot and even a wasted ult slot. It bugs me.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for less usage of the word 'whilst'
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)