The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Does vamp undeath stack with cyodiil's light, maim, evasion, and other raw damage reductions?

jediodyn_ESO
jediodyn_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I've been coming across players that seem to take almost zero damage at very low health while getting smashed with bloothirsty executes that should equate to ridiculous damage. My theory is that some, or many, of these damage reductions are stacking in ways only a small percent of the population is aware of.

@paulsimonps You wrote up one of the most beautiful posts about damage mitigation, but im curious if you tested at all how these types of reductions stack. Would you, or anyone else be able to confim how some of these raw mitigaions stack up? I feel like there is a "feature" here that many players are missing.
  • HansProlo
    HansProlo
    ✭✭
    Shields maybe? I read somewhere that undeath passives affects shields too but i am not sure if i remember this one right

Edit: can be that i got it wrong and it was shields affected by elusive mist orbprobably both
    Edited by HansProlo on January 29, 2019 7:09PM
  • jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    HansProlo wrote: »
    Shields maybe? I read somewhere that undeath passives affects shields too but i am not sure if i remember this one right

Maim applies to shields but does undeath and light? I wonder which others might as well.... Wtb nuber cruncher to do some testing. =(
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maim applies to shields but does undeath and light? I wonder which others might as well.... Wtb nuber cruncher to do some testing. =(

All percentual damage mitigation applies to shields. Maim applies to the enemy, not to yourself so it's technically a debuff, not a defensive buff. Therefore e.g. minor maim and major protection stack without diminishing returns, so first 15% (rather 8% in CP) damage is dealt less, then 30% (rather 20% in CP) damage is taken less.

Undeath, protection, pariah, mist form, Cyro light all stack with diminishing returns. Once the mitigation has reached a level that his hots/heals outheal your incoming damage, you won't deal sufficient damage anymore. E.g. block casting vampire Templar with pirate skeleton and minor protection.
    Edited by Berenhir on January 29, 2019 7:13PM
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

read the dmg mitigation thread it has your answer.

nothing "applies" to shields. Shields subtract damage AFTER dmg mitigation takes place but before blocking mitigation starts calculating. All forms of dmg mitigation are percentages that are multiplied against one source of damage. This means minor maim will deal 15% of 10k, but then cyro light will deal 15% of 9000 since that is what the damage is currently at after minor maim.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

nothing "applies" to shields. Shields subtract damage AFTER dmg mitigation takes place but before blocking mitigation starts calculating. All forms of dmg mitigation are percentages that are multiplied against one source of damage. This means minor maim will deal 15% of 10k, but then cyro light will deal 15% of 9000 since that is what the damage is currently at after minor maim.

So if you're doing damage to someone with undeath who is in execute range and casting anything with cyro's light while you are maimed your doing like 15 (maim) + 25 (undeath w/diminishing) +10 (cyro with diminishing) = 50% less damage to shields before even caluclating any sort of armor or protection buffs? ... if so, this explains alot.
    Edited by jediodyn_ESO on January 29, 2019 7:22PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

So if you're doing damage to someone with undeath who is in execute range and casting anything with cyro's light while you are maimed your doing like 15 (maim) + 25 (undeath w/diminishing) +10 (cyro with diminishing) = 50% less damage to shields before even caluclating any sort of armor or protection buffs? ... if so, this explains alot.

no it's basically this:
    Tooltip dmg * minor maim * resistance * undeath * cyro light = Final Dmg.
    You convert armor/resistance to a percentage (after penetration) and add it to the equation like you do the other mitigation.

I strongly suggest you read the dmg mitigation thread in the Combat section of the forums. The entire equation is a lesson in diminishing returns.
    Edited by Minno on January 29, 2019 7:39PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • HansProlo
    HansProlo
    ✭✭
    10000 * 0,85 * 0,6 *0,67 * 0,9?
    = 3075 damage is around 70% mitigation

0,6 for 40% resistance

If you add evasion it would be 0,3*0,25 thats the diminshing return. 7,5% instead of 25%. But you would mitigate 77,5% then. When you add major protection thats another 0,225*0,3 so around 6,75%. You would have about 84%. Thats a lot when you count in healing and/or blocking
    Edited by HansProlo on January 29, 2019 7:50PM
  • HansProlo
    HansProlo
    ✭✭
    adding shields to around 70% mitigation and using a skill like healing ward which favours low life makes you really tanky