The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PSA: Minor Magicka Steal is an Important Debuff in Trials

WrathOfInnos
WrathOfInnos
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been doing some random trials with various groups this weekend for coffers and transmute stones, and one thing that surprised me is that Ele Drain is practically unheard of. Literally 5/5 of the last pick up group trials (both normal and vet) I joined in Craglorn had no healer running this, and nobody in group requesting it. After mentioning it myself and getting no response, I typically would slot it on the 2nd or 3rd boss.

It is the best sustain tool in the game, providing 300 magicka per second to everyone in your group, and it only has to be cast once to apply to everyone for 24 seconds. Compare that to orbs, which would have to be cast 11 times every 20s to benefit everyone, and still cap out at 198 magicka per second. I'm not saying give up orbs, both would be ideal, but Magicka Steal is equally (if not more) important.

The easiest way to access this buff is through the destruction staff skill Elemental Drain, since it is free to cast and instant. However, if you prefer not to use a Destruction Staff, the Restoration Staff skill Siphon Spirit and the Templar skill Restoring Aura.

So please spread the word that this exists and should be used whenever possible in PVE. Thanks.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB minor stamina steal :)
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it odd that Minor Lifesteal is a buff and that Minor Magickasteal is a debuff.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/284053/buffs-and-debuffs-a-full-list-updated-for-murkmire/p1
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, it ticks every second theoretically, so it is around 250 Magicka/1 second.
    Second of all, u don't have to tell me twice, I run eledrain on my main and it has become a part of the rotation. Because. healers. Never. Use. It. For. Some. Reason.
    And yes i think that a healer that don't run any form of Magicka steal with two mag dd's in group is not supporting the group enough
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    First of all, it ticks every second theoretically, so it is around 250 Magicka/1 second.
    Second of all, u don't have to tell me twice, I run eledrain on my main and it has become a part of the rotation. Because. healers. Never. Use. It. For. Some. Reason.
    And yes i think that a healer that don't run any form of Magicka steal with two mag dd's in group is not supporting the group enough

Healing your paper thin dps build isn't enough? <3
    Edited by DocFrost72 on January 28, 2019 2:22AM
  • Splattercat_83
    Splattercat_83
    ✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

No, its not.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »

Ele drain should provide both minor magicka and stamina steal :):) That would be a great addition to PvP as well. Would make magicka users much more valuable in small groups.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that EleDrain is a wonderful skill and all my magic chars use it (including my templar healer).

Free, does not aggro, can debuff multiple targets with it, debuff + magsteal - what's not to like? Only thing I would love is if (like @Vapirko said), EleDrain also had stamina steal so my healer could better help her stam fighters.

Now that said, my healer tends to run solo, dungeon groups and pugs (never trials). If the tank provides the same debuff as Eledrain then that would certainly diminish the value of a healer running it. Every skill my healer puts into one of her valuable 10 slots does at least two things of benefit so without the added value of debuffs (or stam steal), just mag steal might not be enough to justify a slot.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Paperthin? ALL NON DLC DUNGEONS DONT NEED A HEALER. That's the hard truth. Even thing like fg2 and dc2 are manageable without it. Yes. With hm. Been there done that.

But no no, you can keep healing, it is fine, as I said, I have ele drain in rotation. I also occasionally throw a heal. I think that that's one of the things that helped me complete vSCP hm. which btw, we did not use a healer.

And yes I would love it to apply stamina steal as well! I would love to support my group more even when the other dd is stamina :D

And I am sorry if I offended some healers with my comments. Being a good healer is really hard. Because you don't need to "just" heal. U need to keep up buffs. U need to have group awareness while doing so. I think healing is a really hard role and appreciate healers that manage to do it for what they do. I just don't like people that think that spamming healing springs = being a good healer. Because it is not. If it was then being a stamina healer and spamming vigor wouldn't be as looked down upon.
    Edited by zvavi on January 28, 2019 4:32AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To all the people asking for minor Stam steal, you guys do know that Stam skills are 5-10% cheaper then their mag counterparts? Yeah, I know you have to use Stam for block and dodge but I don't see you asking for magic dodge and block(ice staffs don't count cause all Stam DPS have huge Stam pools, mag dps has to use fire/lighting)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure we do but you know, what's wrong with wanting to support the team :D (I don't play stamina much)
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all the people asking for minor Stam steal, you guys do know that Stam skills are 5-10% cheaper then their mag counterparts? Yeah, I know you have to use Stam for block and dodge but I don't see you asking for magic dodge and block(ice staffs don't count cause all Stam DPS have huge Stam pools, mag dps has to use fire/lighting)

Absolutely, I’m just wishful thinking for my mag/stamplar PvP duo ;) There’s no way ZOS would implement this especially with the power creep issue. It would be a flat buff no questions asked and a pretty big one at that.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I suspect that Stamina Steal will never make it into the game because ZOS doesn't want Magicka builds to have a way to sustain stamina without sacrificing for it. We can't have Magicka coming up to Stamina's level!

#CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Edziu wrote: »

Ele drain should provide both minor magicka and stamina steal :):) That would be a great addition to PvP as well. Would make magicka users much more valuable in small groups.

please explain why this would make magickausers much more valuable for smallscale...
    just becaus ethey have adestrostaff slotted, and could cast the skill?
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I use Radiant Aura on a Templar instead.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

What makes you use that skill over eledrain.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that Minor Lifesteal is a buff and that Minor Magickasteal is a debuff.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/284053/buffs-and-debuffs-a-full-list-updated-for-murkmire/p1

Ah that is cause I messed up and nobody has noticed until now, they are both debuffs, will fix later.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing some random trials with various groups this weekend for coffers and transmute stones, and one thing that surprised me is that Ele Drain is practically unheard of. Literally 5/5 of the last pick up group trials (both normal and vet) I joined in Craglorn had no healer running this, and nobody in group requesting it. After mentioning it myself and getting no response, I typically would slot it on the 2nd or 3rd boss.

It is the best sustain tool in the game, providing 300 magicka per second to everyone in your group, and it only has to be cast once to apply to everyone for 24 seconds. Compare that to orbs, which would have to be cast 11 times every 20s to benefit everyone, and still cap out at 198 magicka per second. I'm not saying give up orbs, both would be ideal, but Magicka Steal is equally (if not more) important.

The easiest way to access this buff is through the destruction staff skill Elemental Drain, since it is free to cast and instant. However, if you prefer not to use a Destruction Staff, the Restoration Staff skill Siphon Spirit and the Templar skill Restoring Aura.

So please spread the word that this exists and should be used whenever possible in PVE. Thanks.

I use Siphon Spirit on my healer (Double Resto). Between Shards, Orbs, and Siphon, i'm a resource generating machine! Pair all that with Olorime, Twilight Remedy, and Combat Pray, and i'm a DPS's best friend = )
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I am sorry if I offended some healers with my comments. Being a good healer is really hard. Because you don't need to "just" heal. U need to keep up buffs. U need to have group awareness while doing so. I think healing is a really hard role and appreciate healers that manage to do it for what they do. I just don't like people that think that spamming healing springs = being a good healer. Because it is not. If it was then being a stamina healer and spamming vigor wouldn't be as looked down upon.

No offense taken. An experienced healer knows when and where they are needed. Which is why those people also have DD characters to take when running non-DLC dungeons.

Flexibility is key!
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

What makes you use that skill over eledrain.

Breach is generally provided by the tank. Radiant hits all enemies in range with one button push which leave more time for other skills plus I get Minor Fortitude, Minor Endurance, and Minor Intellect, increasing Health, Stamina, and Magicka Recovery by 10% for just having Radiant slotted.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regard to the missing stamina steal I'd like to point out the Master's Restoration Staff.

1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they fixed Radiant Aura yet? Last I heard it was kind of broken and the magicka steal only applied to one person.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure who OP is running with but I have not run with a raid group that did not use magicka steal. Some lesser experienced healers are not as smooth with their rotation but everyone has to get experience to improve.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have they fixed Radiant Aura yet? Last I heard it was kind of broken and the magicka steal only applied to one person.

Yes
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A trial group without Ele Drain? O_O
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ele drain I agree is a huge necessity.

Tanks and healers also benefit from the minor magicka steal. It makes sustaining a must for magicka dps.

And no, you healers thinking that all you have to do is cast healing springs and breath are just doing the bare minimum. Good healers buff the group and debuff the enemy.

That's how stuff dies faster